FCC Proposes $120 Million Fine on Florida Robocall Scammer

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

FCC Proposes $120 Million Fine on Florida Robocall Scammer

(Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Thursday proposed a $120 million fine on a Florida resident alleged to have made almost 100 million spoofed robocalls to trick consumers with "exclusive" vacation deals from well-known travel and hospitality companies.

The man, identified as Adrian Abramovich, allegedly made 96 million robocalls during a three-month period by falsifying caller identification information that matched the local area code and the first three digits of recipient's phone number, the FCC said. (http://bit.ly/2tyw5mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

The calls, which were in violation of the U.S. telecommunications laws, offered vacation deals from companies such as Marriott International Inc, Expedia Inc, Hilton Inc and TripAdvisor Inc.

Consumers who answered the calls were transferred to foreign call centers that tried to sell vacation packages, often involving timeshares. These call centers were not related to the companies, the FCC said.

In a statement, TripAdvisor said FCC's action would help better protect consumers from others attempting similar tactics in the future.

I'm rooting for the FCC to win this one ... this robocall bullshit is getting out of hand ... not bothered by it so much at home as they usually hang up when the answering system screens it ... the ones to my cell phone piss me off, especially since Verizon doesn't seem keen on helping when you report an abusive calling number that is eating your minutes
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Yeah I'm tired of these too. I never used to get them up until about four months ago. I've asked to be taken off list but never happens so now I just blacklist app them
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Boris, you still have a house answering machine?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:Boris, you still have a house answering machine?

why yes I do ... a cordless AT&T phone set that came with an answering machine and 2 cordless phones ... and yes, it still works to screen most of the telemarketer and scammer b.s.

and no it is not some relic .... you can buy the same set I have even today
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin