Former Irish Coach Ara Parseghian Dies At Age 94

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Former Irish Coach Ara Parseghian Dies At Age 94
NOTRE DAME, Indiana -- Legendary coach Ara Parseghian, who guided the University of Notre Dame's 1966 and 1973 national championship football teams and is a member of the National Football Foundation's College Football Hall of Fame, died at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday (Aug. 2) at his home in Granger, Indiana, the University's president, Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., announced. He was 94.

"Notre Dame mourns the loss of a legendary football coach, a beloved member of the Notre Dame family and good man -- Ara Parseghian," Father Jenkins said. "Among his many accomplishments, we will remember him above all as a teacher, leader and mentor who brought out the very best in his players, on and off the field.

"He continued to demonstrate that leadership by raising millions of research dollars seeking a cure for the terrible disease that took the lives of three of his grandchildren. Whenever we asked for Ara's help at Notre Dame, he was there.

"My prayers are with Katie, his family and many friends as we mourn his passing and celebrate a life that was so well lived."

Arrangements are pending.

Elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1980, Parseghian led the Irish to a 95-17-4 record (.836) over his 11 seasons in South Bend, highlighted by the 1966 and 1973 teams that finished 9-0-1 and 11-0-0, respectively, and claimed Notre Dame's eighth and ninth consensus national championships.

when you think of the glory days of Notre Dame, you have to think of Ara Parseghian

Rest in Peace Coach
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I didn't think he was still alive.