Beer fans

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Slow time, nothing much else to discuss. Recent beers I have been drinking:

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Leinenkugel has come up with some very nice beers ... they have a Beer Garden in Baltimore near the inner harbor, and all of their available beers are on tap ... haven't found one yet I didn't like

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not a big fan of draft beer, prefer out of the bottle, but I will drink a good dark beer or a black and tan that is draft. I have had some other Leinenkugel stuff as well and have been pleased. Their regular, Berry Weiss, Red and Fireside Nut Brown are pretty tasty. Not a big Shandy fan.
Stay_Cool
MVP

Shiner bock is amazing, I miss shiner blonde. I've been on a heavy Allagash white kick.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
FaithInCutler
MVP

I'm not a huge beer drinker.. But, I enjoy a good Wheat beer on a hot day.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I like Rootbeer does that count?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Big Leiniesfan myself but not their fruity beers. They make a great red lager and the honeyweiss is always a favorite. I like amber and reds. Capital Amber is great. New Glarus two women another.

I end up buying MGD most of the time.
wab
Mod

Lots of Shiner down here in Texas. I never had it before moving here, but the Light Blonde is amazing. I don't drink a lot of beer...but that stuff is good.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

was introduced to a local beer over this past weekend ... DuClaw Brewing Company - http://www.duclaw.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they specialize in interesting names for their beers, but also put a good product behind the label ... the main item of theirs that we devoured as a group is their Bare Ass Blonde Ale - http://www.duclaw.com/beer/bare-ass-blonde/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

we also were treated to their Euforia Toffee Nut Brown Ale, which was also damn good - http://www.duclaw.com/beer/euforia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am now going to have to make a trip to one of their brewpubs ...
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Imaginative names and combos for sure. The euphoria one sounds interesting.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Interesting website for beer drinkers:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IE
Hall of Famer

On the 7th day, God didn't rest - he created Oberon.

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Stay_Cool
MVP

IE wrote:On the 7th day, God didn't rest - he created Oberon.

Not bad, I'm a spotted cow fan myself
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Imaginative names and combos for sure. The euphoria one sounds interesting.

and it tastes even better and more interesting than it sounds :thumbsup:
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

have any of the rest of you had Redd's Strawberry Ale? you would think something brewed and sold as an ale would have some beer like qualities ... nope ... Redd's Strawberry Ale tastes like strawberry Nehi ... no beer like qualities at all except for the 5% alcohol content ... doesn't fill you up either so you can drink a lot of it ... so it is a stealth drunk effect (as a friend's wife called it) because you just don't feel like you're drinking the ale that you are ... until you drink enough of it and the alcohol does its thing

George Carlin
Stay_Cool
MVP

Boris13c wrote:have any of the rest of you had Redd's Strawberry Ale? you would think something brewed and sold as an ale would have some beer like qualities ... nope ... Redd's Strawberry Ale tastes like strawberry Nehi ... no beer like qualities at all except for the 5% alcohol content ... doesn't fill you up either so you can drink a lot of it ... so it is a stealth drunk effect (as a friend's wife called it) because you just don't feel like you're drinking the ale that you are ... until you drink enough of it and the alcohol does its thing

If I'm drinking hard cider or ale, I prefer strong bow on tap. England's finest
Paulo83
Journeyman

Craft beers are quite a big thing over here in the UK. Smaller breweries are growing in popularity. Not sure how our EPA's and IPA's compare to the American Pale Ales. I do like a good pale ale. Wheat beers are very pleasant too. Leffe, Hoegaarden, Erdinger, Duvel are some of the best continental beers I drink.

I have a real fondness for Banana Bread Beer. That shit is good. I drink plenty other stuff - far too much to mention. Of the big branded beers, I like a Guinness. Probably the best lager out there is Grolsch. Budvar is pretty good too.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

ah Budvar ... I remember drinking lots of that when I was overseas

interesting story how Anheuser Busch stole the name ... that set off a legal battle back in the 30's that is still going on today :

Why the Czech Republic is the Real Home of Budweiser Beer

Czech Budvar wins Budweiser trademark in United Kingdom

Budweiser Banned in Italy; Czech Budvar Wins Court Battle vs. AB InBev

Budvar - the ORIGINAL Budweiser, and better than any swill Anheuser Busch (aka AB InBev) will ever produce
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Best beer in the history of the world. Revolver Blood and Honey
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Best beer in the history of the world. Revolver Blood and Honey
so, looks like Texas has moved up from the days of Lone Star and Pearl being their premium beers ... good for them, and now good for you

I'll have to check the wholesale beer place near me and see if they have this Revolver brand ... they have started dividing the beer sections for regional beers same as they separate the regional wines ... of course some regional beers have a limited shipping area so I will never see those unless I go to the source
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I recently saw something about Schlitz beer. Long long ago, it was the biggest baddest brewery in Milwaukee WI, and one of the top in the US overall. Then they went south. Then they disappeared.

Well, now they're back.

Schlitz Brewing

But Schlitz is now part of Pabst Brewing Company rather than their own brand. Interesting that in their new ads they harken back to Schlitz being back to the way it was in the 60's . This story tells why :

The Fall of Schlitz - How Milwaukee's Famous Beer Became Infamous
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The 24 oz. “Tall Boy” can is introduced by Schlitz.
Those bastards!! As some of us in the Midwest refer to them as "silos."

The old beers making a come back. Had Stag about a year ago. It was cold and it tasted pretty damn good. It was the bottom of the price list beer in a bar in the Lou.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:The old beers making a come back.
apparently that also includes Hamm's ... I have fond memories of that as a cheap drinkable beer from long ago ... I still remember their cartoon ads with the goofy bear

it is now a product of Miller Brewing Company, and I haven't had one of the Miller versions
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Most of those old beer brands, including Pabst, Strohs and Schlitz, are owned by larger holding companies that don't even own breweries. The product is brewed now by 3rd party breweries, including larger companies like Miller brewing. They're brewed to the specs they're given ... but it isn't quite the same, in my opinion. The original makers are long gone, and they're milking the brand name as long as they can while there is still sentimentality for them.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

yeah, I understand that ... 1 correction though, Pabst apparently is still a brewing company -

http://pabstbrewingco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but look at the brands they now produce under the Pabst umbrella :

http://pabstbrewingco.com/beers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can't figure out the brand without a scorecard these days
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

No kidding. Don't get me wrong - I'm totally nostalgic for this stuff, and still occasionally buy those old brands all the time for fun. I'm one of the people they target. :)

When I was a kid, I collected beer cans. I had a collection of over 1000 different cans at one time - and still have most of the really good ones, from the '50s through the '70s (no cone tops, unfortunately). Whenever we went on a family vacation, it was driving in the family car, across country. I made my dad stop at a few different stores in every state, and buy a 6-pack of whatever local beers were there. He'd drink 6-12 beers every night trying to keep up.. lol. By the end of the trip, our car was literally rattling with empty beer cans that I was saving - I kept several of every type, for trading. Some of it he really liked, and others he ended up pouring out after choking down a few... lol.

Here's a good article about the Stroh family. Just plain bad judgement, mostly. And a mistake that many family businesses make - spoiling do-nothing 4th and 5th generation descendants, until they milk the company dry.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryadolan ... n-the-u-s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:yeah, I understand that ... 1 correction though, Pabst apparently is still a brewing company -

Yeah - they are a brewing company, but they don't have a brewery (they are "virtual" - all their brands are brewed under contract).
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IE wrote:When I was a kid, I collected beer cans. I had a collection of over 1000 different cans at one time - and still have most of the really good ones, from the '50s through the '70s (no cone tops, unfortunately). Whenever we went on a family vacation, it was driving in the family car, across country. I made my dad stop at a few different stores in every state, and buy a 6-pack of whatever local beers were there. He'd drink 6-12 beers every night trying to keep up.. lol. By the end of the trip, our car was literally rattling with empty beer cans that I was saving - I kept several of every type, for trading.
wait ... you made your father buy, and drink, beer in order to support your hobby? what a horrible child you were :-P
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

IE wrote:
Boris13c wrote:yeah, I understand that ... 1 correction though, Pabst apparently is still a brewing company -

Yeah - they are a brewing company, but they don't have a brewery (they are "virtual" - all their brands are brewed under contract).
you sure about that? they say right on their own website that they are a brewery
With over 30 beers in our portfolio, Pabst Brewing Company is the largest
American-owned brewery. Since 1844, we’ve taken pride in brewing beers that have become iconic, cherished American brands. Brands that promote regional pride, and brands that express common bonds amongst people all over the world.
odd that they don't mention where their brewery is though ... so maybe you are right and they are playing with words as to what being a "brewery" actually means
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Liked Hamms. Drank Strohs as well. Drank Olympia too.

Hell we stole Blatz from the neighbors back porch and drank it in his garage.

I like the old brands to, I am a guy who lives in the past quite a bit. Jam to 70s music, use charcoal and despise cell phones. I am told I need to grow up. Fuck that. Can't beat that shit from the 70s. I am responsible , that is enough, I want to stay young.