Weird medical technique in Canada, eh?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Homeopath “treated” 4-yr-old boy’s behavior problems with saliva from rabid dog
“Hair of the dog” remedies may do the trick for some hangover sufferers. But health experts say that a Canadian homeopath took the idea too far—way, way too far.

Homeopath and naturopath Anke Zimmermann used diluted saliva from a rabid dog to “treat” a four-year-old boy, according to a blog post she published earlier this year. Zimmermann claims that the potentially infectious and deadly concoction successfully resolved the boy’s aggressive behavior, which she described as a “slightly rabid-dog state.”

The tale fits with the scientifically implausible principles of homeopathy. These roughly state that substances that produce similar symptoms of a particular ailment can cure said ailment (“like cures like”) and that diluting a substance increases its potency (“law of infinitesimals”).

Health experts say Zimmermann’s claims aren’t just farfetched, but, rather, they’re barking mad.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry told the CBC that she has “grave concerns” about the use of saliva containing rabies, which causes fatal infections. She also has a bone to pick with Health Canada over the treatment and its approval, which gave her pause when she learned of it from Zimmermann’s post. The rabid-dog treatment, called lyssinum (aka lyssin or hydrophobinum), is one of more than 8,500 homeopathic products approved by Health Canada, according to the CBC.

“There’s no way I can understand why we would have anything that was meant to be saliva of a rabid dog approved for use in this country,” Dr. Henry said. “I also have concerns that this would be used for treating what sounds very much like a behavioral issue in a young child.”
so not only did someone use diluted rabid dog saliva as a medical treatment, but the diluted rabid dog saliva is a product approved for use by Health Canada

and it gets weirder :
Like many other health experts, including those at the US Food and Drug Administration, Henry worries that such homeopathic products can be harmful and/or delay actual medical interventions and treatments.

For her part, Zimmermann dug in her heels and doggedly stood by the claims in her blog post.

The lengthy post unleashed the months-long saga of four-year-old Jonah. The boy presented with aggression and sleeping troubles, according to Zimmermann. He was said to be violent, easily angered, and known for growling at people. He also suffered from fears and nightmares of werewolves, wolves, zombies, and ghosts. When Zimmermann asked him how he feels when he growls, she said that the four-year-old responded: “Like there is a tornado inside me. My spirit is a hurricane!”

Zimmermann quickly sniffed out the source of the problem: when Jonah was younger, a dog bit him. That is, Jonah’s mother said that one time a dog accidentally “broke the skin slightly” on Jonah’s hand while it was reaching to get food Jonah was holding.

Zimmermann pounced on the tidbit, claiming:

A bite from an animal, with or without rabies vaccination, has the potential to imprint an altered state in the person who was bitten, in some ways similar to a rabies infection. This can include over-excitability, difficulties sleeping, aggression, and various fears, especially of dogs or wolves. This child presented a perfect picture of this type of rabies state. Most homeopaths would have easily recognized the remedy required in this case.

The “remedy” to this “state” was clearly the saliva of a rabid dog, Zimmermann concluded. Months later, the mother reported that Jonah’s issues had improved—although they had not resolved entirely.

Zimmermann declared the treatment a success. “Bottom line: homeopathy can work wonders for children with behavioral disorders if the remedy can be clearly perceived.”
so the kid's parent says it actually kind of worked?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I do believe in *some* forms of homeopathy, but my overall philosophy when it comes to these types of medications lies in the power of suggestion. If you think diluting and drinking your own urine is going to cure your kidney stones (and somehow it works) then go nuts.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

When I was a kid, and I am only going to be 41, I was deathly afraid that a teacher would tell my parents in a conference that I was a jackass, so I behaved in school. If it was reported otherwise to my parents I would have gotten the belt or a boot in the ass and grounded.

The generation of Time Outs, no spankings and no consequences has gotten us to lets expose our kids to fucking rabies to see if it keeps them from being a jackass.

My children respect, love and appreciate me, but they also fear me in the instance where they are disrespectful and being idiots. They have been taught this and know this. A high percentage of children do not have this environment.

We have a parenting problem in the USA, not a gun, drug or other problem, we have a parenting problem. As a parent and a spouse to a teacher, the number of people that seem to think teacher live to make shit up about kids misbehaving, cheating or otherwise in schools just fucking astound me.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wow rabid dog Silvia. I have the an oral cure for cancer. Just so everyone he knows it's my don't. Some alternative medicines are great when used appropriately.

Got anxiety. Before you jump on the SSRI wagon try diet, exercise, and 5HTP. Using 5HTP to get yourself over some of life's hurdles helps a ton, works on the serotonin system, but doesn't cause the withdrawal psychosis.

drinking dog Silva? Not okay
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:When I was a kid, and I am only going to be 41, I was deathly afraid that a teacher would tell my parents in a conference that I was a jackass, so I behaved in school. If it was reported otherwise to my parents I would have gotten the belt or a boot in the ass and grounded.

The generation of Time Outs, no spankings and no consequences has gotten us to lets expose our kids to fucking rabies to see if it keeps them from being a jackass.

My children respect, love and appreciate me, but they also fear me in the instance where they are disrespectful and being idiots. They have been taught this and know this. A high percentage of children do not have this environment.

We have a parenting problem in the USA, not a gun, drug or other problem, we have a parenting problem. As a parent and a spouse to a teacher, the number of people that seem to think teacher live to make shit up about kids misbehaving, cheating or otherwise in schools just fucking astound me.
I used to walk into my kids' teacher conferences and start the conversation with... "Here's where I stand. You and I are the adults here. My child is a child. You and I are on the same team and if my child is misbehaving, then let me know and it'll be properly addressed". I told my kids... "I have a job that I go to every day. But you have a job too. It's school. Your job is to make that teacher so happy with your work that they give you As and Bs. I don't want to hear that your teacher doesn't like you, they're mean, unfair or anything like that. You just need to figure it out. Because that's your job.

My older kids lived with my ex most of the time, who made every excuse in the world for them, often blaming the teacher. They didn't do very well in school and neither made it beyond their freshman year at community college. But my youngest is now a Ph. D. student in Physics at Cal Berkeley. Imagine that. :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't have children but I do find myself day dreaming about what kind of father I would be, how would I handle certain scenarios, etc. I think I subscribe to your theory, Mikefive, that we are the adults and the children are the children. I don't believe in physically hitting a child but I do believe there needs to be a sense of respect that the child has for their parents. "I won't do something bad because" X. If we're lucky enough to have kids want to behave well because it makes their parents happy, then that's outstanding. I just don't think that's being realistic at all.

So how do you find that line of fear/respect that they won't cross? Does it have to be physical? Do you have to yell?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"