Wish Me Luck.... Bad to Worse!

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

skamanfrank
Journeyman

So, another Sunday, another game and unfortunately game 3 of our season resulted in another loss.
We were again playing the Nottingham Caesars, but this time at their home field, about 1hr 30mins away.

Another game in which we showed potential and heart but alas, a bit more than that is required to come away with the victory. There were positives though- mostly that we did put some points on the board for the first time this season! Unfortunately, it was only 7 and they came from special teams thanks to a superb end to end kick off return for a touchdown by our safety (who then kicked the extra point too).

On a personal level I was very pleased to be named defensive MVP. I got two picks (one of which I ran back to midfield from our own goal line), a couple of pass break ups and a few tackles also. I was also very pleased to play every single defensive snap again.
We were aware from our last game and seeing film of the Caesars before that the QB likes to air the ball out, so we spent a majority of the game in zone coverage. This meant that my role was more safety that linebacker for a lot of the game- but I didn't mind this at all, I'm quite happy playing either.

We struggled offensively again, but even so the defence need to keep the scores down to give our offence a chance- although again, the D were simply on the field for too long.
At half time we were only 3 points down with the score at 7-10, but unfortunately as we have seen in the last couple of games things really started to get away from us half way through the second half. It seems that we lose the battle of attrition, as well as losing our focus and mental clarity. Hopefully that is something that will improve with training and as the season goes on. There were some passionate words after the game from a few of us, including myself, that hopefully everyone will take note of- they weren't all friendly words either to be honest. The worry now is that we have been swept by the Caesars, potentially the easiest team on our schedule.

EDIT: I got the final score wrong
Final score- 7-39

To put that final score into perspective....
At the end of the 3rd quarter, the score was 7-17. The next (and last) six Caesars drives looked like this:

3 and out
3 and out
3 and out
TD (2 plays)
TD (2 plays)
TD (4 plays)
Their last three (and scoring) drives all started inside our own 20 yard line :(

Nottingham's home games are actually recorded and streamed live by a production company, so the footage is available on YouTube.
My first pick can be seen here:
[video][/video]

We are also lucky to have a great photographer associated to the team, who grabbed some great shots:
33087683_821741114681952_5866685654275981312_o.jpg
33036422_821739954682068_1271222414520352768_o.jpg
33176557_821738984682165_3880164547167780864_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by skamanfrank on Mon May 21, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Couple more because my ego is feeling good about itself:
33074611_821744528014944_1384607103003394048_o.jpg
33099758_821744658014931_7479933210978156544_o.jpg
33184037_821744431348287_543754357301051392_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

This weekend we were visited by the Sandwell Steelers, a long term rival and well drilled team.

We lost, again. There's only so much I can say and it will all sound exactly the same as the last few games from a team point of view, so I shan't bother. Worst score line yet, giving up a 50 burger.

HOWEVER, from a personal point of view- I got another two picks and SCORED A TOUCHDOWN! In the first quarter I picked off a pass destined for the flat and took it back to the house. It was the first score of the game putting us up by 6 and is the first time that we have held the lead in a game since last year. Unfortunately, this was the only score of the game, with us missing the PAT (bad snap, holder scrambled) and a FG later in the game.

I played a majority of the game at safety. We actually ended up with 1 DB on the field and either LBs or a WR filling in at corner. My game was a bit of a mixture, I took home defensive MVP again, but I'm not overly convinced that I or anyone else should been credited after giving up 50 points. Low lights were two missed tackles- the second of which went for a TD with the receiver making 2 or 3 men miss before getting to me and I let one deep pass over my head- I got a hand to it and it would have been a spectacular break up, but not enough contact on the ball and being the last man back I should have played safe and played the man not the ball. Had another pick opportunity too, but unfortunately couldn't quite get my hands there in time but did enough to keep it away from the receiver.

Next game is an away trip to Doncaster which is a couple of hours up the motorway. That will not be a fun coach trip back if we play like we did this weekend....
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Congrats
I think you have more career picks than a number of Bear DBs
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Thanks!

Bit of a fall from grace this week....
2 dropped interceptions and a hit to the head in the 3rd quarter ruled me out for the rest of the game after not being cleared to return by medical staff. Was a bit unfortunate, just hit the back of my head pretty hard on the floor during a tackle. Still got a bit of head ache a couple of days later. I'm in a concussion protocol now which means no playing or training until I'm cleared.

Poorly timed to be honest because we're just starting a run of three back to back away games on consecutive Sundays and one of our starting linebackers just quit....

Oh, we lost. Again. Obviously. 0-5
G08
Hall of Famer

Atta boy!!! Nice fucking pick man, looks like you sniffed it out and reacted :toast:

Sorry to hear about the concussion
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

skamanfrank
Journeyman

Thanks man- appreciate it! It felt good! I've got 4 picks (1 of which was a pick six) and a fumble recovery this year, so quite please but there's plenty of scope for more.

Unfortunately it's only gone from bad to worse really this season, with the club now pretty much in a state of disarray.

At the time of the last update we were 0-5, I'd just got a hit to the head with a suspected (not confirmed) concussion and we were just starting a run of three back to back games.

Game 6- we were as always short on numbers, so as a result I begged and pleaded with the coaching staff to let me play kit up, assuring them that my head was fine and it was just a knock, not a concussion. Eventually they relented making me promise that any knock or issues I report and come out of the game.
I played as a starter in the game, but was very cautious and was not fully committed to contact in all honesty. We didn't have a full defence anyway, so I was mostly there to cover and stop guys being open. 1 PBU/shoulda been a pick, but more importantly no knocks. Of course, we lost, heavily, but it was out grittiest performance as a team with our smallest numbers to date. We actually came away very positive, feeling very good about the team atmosphere and attitudes of the core players who were there.

Game 7- A beaten up team, short on numbers, the game was cancelled, to much ridicule from the rest of the League. Unfortunately with the numbers available we simply couldn't have gone ahead. We didn't have a single ILB, didn't have a full Dline and were up against the strongest running team and the most physical team in the league in Leicester Falcons. An embarrassing, but needed concession.

Game 8- More embarrassment. Called at the half 0-67 to the Sandwell Steelers. We turned up with only 19 players losing some to injuries throughout the first half too. I had a woeful half of football, missing multiple tackles (putting my head down as approaching contact, TERRIBLE form. Not sure why but I've lost my tackling form completely since the Doncaster game). I also got PANCAKED on a kick return I was blocking for. More ridicule from the rest of the League.

Game 9- Shropshire Revolution visited our new home ground (long story, we fell out with our previous facility owners mid season). I was very excited for this one, only to roll my ankle on Saturday afternoon dog walking and blowing up my ankle. Suspected sprained, not broken, but massively swollen and blue. No game for me.
We lost the game, but scored on a kick off return, defence got a sack and a pick, so it wasn't all bad. Unfortunately a returning player who had been out since about Game 3 dislocated his ankle in a BRUTAL injury. It was gross, his foot was just hanging there flapping about! Thankfully he's OK and remarkably is already hobbling around.

First half of my season was great and I really felt a push for Defensive rookie was on, unfortunately my last few games have not supported or followed that trend, so I need to finish strong.

With regards to the club- there is a takeover bid in place that is causing a strong divide. If it goes ahead the Coventry Jets will be no more and instead become the Etone Jaguars. Unfortunately, there is very little in the current management of the club and whilst I think it is sad, I will likely be supporting the takeover proposal in the vote next week.

SO
One game left, couple of weeks time. Doncaster, at home... couple of weeks time. We'll see.