Flat-Earthers Explain Why We Don't Fall Off Planet's Edge

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think those types of them just enjoy playing the devils advocate. I can't see much money being spent on the message.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

People are inherently tribal in nature. There are any number of reasons why people ascribe to this tribe or that. But it is efficient behavior. Nobody has time to answer every question by seeking out and absorbing every piece of information available about it. It would take us weeks or months to make any decision. So people turn to sources they trust and accept what they say as truth.

And when people actually attempt to answer a question, they naturally do so with their gut not their brain and reach out to sources that work toward that end if possible. If they find a source that agrees with their gut, their intellect needs one reason to buy it to accept it as fact. If they find a source that disagrees with their gut, their mind looks for one reason NOT to believe it to dismiss it. And when I say "one reason" that reason may not be logically valid.

For these reasons, people believe all kinds of crazy things.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.