Couple fakes cancer story for donations, Syracuse visit

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Couple solicited $3K in donations, Syracuse visit by faking cancer story
A couple from central New York fabricated a 2017 story about their son having cancer, soliciting about $3,000 in funds for his recovery and a visit with the Syracuse University football team, according to the Cayuga County Sheriff's Office.

Syracuse.com reported that Martin and Jolene LaFrance faked the story of their son, CJ LaFrance, having Hodgkin lymphoma, and set up a GoFundMe page that received $3,334 in donations.

The family was also invited to attend a Syracuse practice in August 2017, where CJ, then 9 years old, met with the student-athletes and played catch with receiver Ervin Philips and linebacker Kielan Whitner. Quarterback Eric Dungey shared throwing tips and head coach Dino Babers offered his well wishes.

CJ's parents said their son also bonded with two-time cancer survivor Roy Wittke, Syracuse's director of player development. After the visit, the boy's uncle continued the fabrication, saying CJ's cancer had been upgraded to Stage 3 and that he had undergone both radiation and surgery.

The four-month investigation by the Cayuga County Sheriff's Office "conclusively" learned that CJ had never been diagnosed with cancer. His parents were charged with scheme to defraud and endangering the welfare of a child. They will appear in court on May 16 to be arraigned.
I nominate this couple for assholes of the year ... may they burn in hell
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It's very easy to do on these online panhandling sites.

And they are far, far from the only ones pulling off this kind of scam.

Generally, I only donate when there's Real Life people involved that I know can be trusted.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:It's very easy to do on these online panhandling sites.

Generally, I only donate when there's Real Life people involved that I know can be trusted.
"Make a Wish" and "Ronald McDonald House" are the only 2 charities I give to
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
skamanfrank
Journeyman

They're the worst. Sadly I've heard of similar things happening before
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Moriarty wrote:It's very easy to do on these online panhandling sites.

"Make a Wish" and "Ronald McDonald House" are the only 2 charities I give to
I collect pop can tabs at home and work and they go to Ronald McDonald House. It's not cash, but it works.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.