Beer fans

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I buy a lot of growlers for that reason.

have you seen the growler taps?

I won one in a raffle at the last beer fest in my area ... works fine ... can't put the growler in the fridge with it on though ... too tall
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Whoa...that's cool.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Every state in the USA, ranked by its beer

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/e ... map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Went to a small brewery a few weeks back in southwest Wisconsin, Potosi Brewery. It also houses the National Brewery Museum. The museum is somewhat small but worth the $5 admission. At the end of the self guided tour you show your wrist band and you get a free brew. They had about 8 beers on tap the day we were there. I had the Ole Potosi, which is just a regular style brew, golden ale and I also had there Oktoberfest which was really good. some of they make are not listed on the link provided. They had a chocolate hazelnut porter I wanted to try but it is a seasonal/ winter brew.

http://www.potosibrewery.com/ourbeer.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was drinking this last night. Not as good as a Black and tan made with Guinness, but what the hell.

Forebears
Practice Squad

Two Brothers Brewing from Warrensville craft some fine beer. My fav is Domaine DuPage... Bitter End and Ebel Weiss are two others that I like from them as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay_Cool
MVP

My folks are from Bartlett and I've been to this brewery for a tour. Awesome place. Domaine Dupage is fantastic.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Middleguard
MVP

My wife hostessed my 60th Bday party at the Two Brothers facility, near the brewery, that Walter Payton used to own. There's a plaque to him on the wall outside the entrance.

Bitter End is an old favorite. My new summer preference is Sidekick. They've just started experimenting with putting some of their beer in cans: Outlaw, a 7% IPA.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

on a recent trip back to Chicago, I went with my daughter and her husband to the new revitalized Pabst Brewery in Milwaukee

http://www.brewhousesuites.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bestplacemilwaukee.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the developer has done a really nice job on this project, and it is not yet fully complete ... we got a behind the scenes tour of the areas still under construction ... one of the plans for that area is a basement speakeasy ... through a vault door in the basement is what used to be beer storage in barrels ... there are several areas that were used for this which are nice brick archways being cleaned up ... in each of those archways is going to be old tyme game tables

we were told by the event staff that the main party area of the facility is now booked 2 years out for weddings, receptions, and special events

as to the beer, I actually sat and drank Pabst Blue Ribbon and Schlitz on tap ... and they were both nice light drinkable pilsner beers instead of the swill they had become years back ... we were told Schlitz is now brewed under the original recipe and process from back in the 30's ... apparently what made the Pabst line undrinkable in the 80's and 90's was due to the descendants of old man Pabst changing recipes and processes to make more beer faster rather than paying attention to the actual quality

another part of the story is when the Pabst facility closed down, they called all employees into the great room and told them they had 1 hour to get what they wanted and leave, then the place was chained shut for years ... when the current developer bought in and brought in his initial survey team they found all sorts of things simply left in place ... food and plates on tables, people's personal items, and of course lots of old bottled beer ... but they also found treasures left behind like boxes of the beer patches that were sewn on employee coveralls, old stock certificates (worthless now except as souvenirs), old signs in new condition .. all of which you can buy in the gift shop of course

it was a nice trip and a nice tour and I recommend anyone in the area or going to the area stop in
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, so much for them returning to their historical past :

Pabst Brewing to be sold to Russian company
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

http://www.drinkspirits.com/beer/oculto ... ired-beer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tasty stuff
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Henry's Hard Soda

https://www.henryshardsoda.com/av

remember Zima? did you drink it / like it? well the days of Zima are long gone, but Zima like beverages are all over these days ... the latest (for me at least) is Henry's Hard Soda ... sold in the beer aisle with items like Mike's Hard Lemonade, Not Your Father's Root Beer, and many more

the Grape is exactly like drinking Grape NeHi (Radar O'Reilly would be proud) ... the others are tasty too, except for the Orange ... something seems amiss about the Orange ... doesn't taste like Orange Crush (as I expected it to), but doesn't taste like any other orange soda substance either
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Got turned on to this when in Mississippi last week. I can honestly say it is the best beer I have ever had. Limited distribution unfortunately so will not be buying in the Midwest. Had it draft and in the bottle

wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote:remember Zima? did you drink it / like it? well the days of Zima are long gone
Zima is back baby.

http://www.adweek.com/creativity/miller ... ited-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:Got turned on to this when in Mississippi last week. I can honestly say it is the best beer I have ever had. Limited distribution unfortunately so will not be buying in the Midwest. Had it draft and in the bottle

They have it at Benny's if you are near one up there in the Burgh.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Nearest one is in Bloomington, may have to take a road trip. Co-worker said she bought it once in Peoria at a Friar Tuck's.

While in a big liquor store in St Louis, checked, they didn't have it. I bought a locally brewed pecan beer and it just wasn't the same. :frustrated:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Reliving my college days this past weekend. Was in Macomb so had to pick up some Mickeys. It had been about 30 yrs since I had them. Shit went down too smooth. I don't remember them tasting this good. Followed the Mickeys with Stag!!

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Image

Reliving my college days this past weekend. Was in Macomb so had to pick up some Mickeys. It had been about 30 yrs since I had them. Shit went down too smooth. I don't remember them tasting this good.
perhaps it does still taste like deer piss but your taste buds are worn out?
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

making my way thru some Leinies the past couple of weeks.
Wounded Bear
MVP

We used to drink this malt liquor in high school and college called Haffenreffer Private Stock. It had these phrase puzzles on the inside of the caps to solve so you were incentivized to drink more....really, really bad idea.

I swear I saw a wall move 8 feet away from me when I was sitting on a couch drinking these things. Later that night I woke up lying in the middle of an apartment parking lot with a car going by me. Needless to say, I was hooked - the stupidity of youth.

The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Adipost
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote:We used to drink this malt liquor in high school and college called Haffenreffer Private Stock. It had these phrase puzzles on the inside of the caps to solve so you were incentivized to drink more....really, really bad idea.

I swear I saw a wall move 8 feet away from me when I was sitting on a couch drinking these things. Later that night I woke up lying in the middle of an apartment parking lot with a car going by me. Needless to say, I was hooked - the stupidity of youth.