Boston Cream vs Bavarian Cream - used to be different

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so I strolled into a Dunkin Donuts today ... first time in a while ... I saw Bavarian Cream, with powdered sugar coating, and Boston Cream with the chocolate topping ... so I asked the person behind the counter if she had Bavarian Cream with the chocolate topping ... she laughed and said "ah, an old school donut person ... they are the same"

she then got one of each, put them on a paper plate, sliced them in half and yes, inside, they were both the same ... which then got us on a discussion of said donuts ... and she agreed with me that she remembers Boston and Bavarian Cream being 2 different fillings ... apparently Dunkin Donuts uses the same custard pudding style filling for both ... they call the chocolate topped one Boston Cream as a nod to Boston Cream Pie ... but the filling for the Boston Cream and Bavarian Cream donuts are the same ... at least at this particular Dunkin Donuts ... so I ate them both, washed down with milk and she only charged me for 1

do any of you remember when these used to be 2 very different flavors and styles of filling, where Boston and Bavarian Cream were different? have you gone to a Dunkin Donuts where they were still 2 different things? I shall have to go to Krispy Kreme now to research this further
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn, Boris, sorry I can't help ya. I am a big DD and donut fan but have never been a fan of the creme filled donuts. Whether it be bavarian creme of whipped cream, I pass. Both cremes are slightly yellow in color correct?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wikipedia confirms there is a difference :

Bavarian Cream (Kreme)

Boston Cream (Kreme)

so Dunkin Donuts is using the vanilla custard center (Boston Cream) as both ... which is kind of odd ... why not just drop the Bavarian Cream label if you don't offer it any more?

Krispy Kreme still has them as 2 different fillings, though they don't use the names "Boston" or "Bavarian" :

http://www.krispykreme.com/menu/doughnu ... ard-Filled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.krispykreme.com/menu/doughnu ... ME-Filling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Now I want donuts.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

revived for Donut Day

and again is up for discussion if anyone is interested

I asked several professional bakers about this, and after they laughed at me, did all seem to agree that they SHOULD be 2 different things, but at most major donut chains, they aren't .... the filling seems to be the same with only the donut topping being different (Boston Cream has chocolate icing, Bavarian Kreme has powdered sugar)

as for the filling, the consensus among professional baking folks is :

* Boston Cream is a cooked custard akin to vanilla pudding

* Bavarian Kreme is a 50-50 mix of vanilla pudding and whipped cream

so the pros say there is a difference and corporate laziness is the reason most don't know that

so perhaps you should spend donut day going to several donut places near you and doing a comparison ... is there an establishment in your area that knows there is a difference and sells both?
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Difference between Bavarian Cream and Boston Cream
Key Differences

*Boston cream is a cream filling that is used in multiple desserts like pastries, donuts, pies, etc. On the other hand, Bavarian cream can be used as a filling of sorts as it is dessert itself.

* Boston cream uses cornstarch while Bavarian cream uses gelatin.

* Bavarian cream uses both whipped cream and heavy cream while Boston cream mainly uses milk and eggs and is custard as well.

* Boston cream is served mostly with chocolate while Bavarian cream is usually served with fruit sauce or suit puree.

* Bavarian has powder on it while Boston cream has chocolate on top.

* Bavarian tends to have chocolate and Boston cream tends to have powdered sugar.

* Bavarian cream is custard, but it has some whipped cream folded into it to make it lighter, Boston cream is custard without the additional.

*The main ingredients of Bavarian cream are pastry cream and gelatin while the main ingredients of Boston cream are Dough, chocolate icing, and whipped cream.

* Bavarian cream is the type of custard while Boston cream is the type of doughnut.

* Boston cream is also known by the name of Boston cream pie doughnut Boston cream pie donut while Bavarian cream is known by the name of Crème bavaroise, Bavarois.
my goal is to have at least a couple of each tomorrow :D
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Boston Cream hands down is my favorite donut to eat.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

there's a shop near me here in maine that does a boston almond creme. basically boston creme mixed with almond paste, and it's incredible.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:there's a shop near me here in maine that does a boston almond creme. basically boston creme mixed with almond paste, and it's incredible.
I'm trying to talk my wife into a Booth Bay trip this summer. Where is this shop you speak of...might need to work it into my summer plans.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:there's a shop near me here in maine that does a boston almond creme. basically boston creme mixed with almond paste, and it's incredible.
I'm trying to talk my wife into a Booth Bay trip this summer. Where is this shop you speak of...might need to work it into my summer plans.
kind of a crappy area of south portland, but they're legit good.
http://www.littlebigsmaine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

portland's got a rep for having a million restaurants, and fuck most of them, but we somehow have a handful of exceptional bakeries that i'd gladly go to bat for.

https://theholydonut.com/flavors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
holy donut makes theirs out of maine potatoes, which might sound like it wouldnt be good, but they're some of the best donuts i've ever had. they do a ginger glazed sweet potato donut that again, might sound terrible, but is so freaking good.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Boston Cream.