Weird News - news stories from off the beaten path

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
pus wrote:Blame it on the phone if you want - a few decades back they might have blamed it on the automobile. But I'm thinking that if she was impaired by alcohol, she lost the ability to make good judgements, which resulted in foolish and dangerous behavior while driving, and thus the ultimate tragedy.

About 4 years back I almost lost my son as a result of a crazy alcohol-fueled fight between the two of us - could easily have lost my life as well. I have not had a drink since that night.

I keep some whiskey in a cupboard for friends and I stock some of that light beer they drink, out in my garage fridge. I'll pick up some wine or microbrew if my daughter or son are coming. But I won't drink again until the day I die. Pure golden shithouse luck gave me a second chance to live with my family intact and I'm not about to fuck it up.
Holy shit! You get a ton of respect in my book for seeing the error of your ways and correcting it. Good for you man.

I'll second that ... a very scary story that could have had a real bad result
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Pakistani girl raped in ‘revenge’ for a rape her brother committed, police say. 29 relatives arrested.
The extended family members all lived within yards of each other, in a small village near a river bank in Pakistan’s largest province, Punjab.

It was in this village in Muzaffarabad, a suburb of the city of Multan, where the first of two rapes took place.

A daughter of the family, around the age of 12 or 13, was cutting the grass in nearby fields on July 16 when a teenage boy covered her with a cloth and raped her, police said. The boy was a 16-year-old relative of hers.

In the days that followed the girl’s rape, the family’s elders gathered together in shock and anguish, seeking to resolve what had happened.

But mourning soon led to vengeance. The elders — who effectively served as the family’s “panchayat,” or village council — decided that justice should be served as revenge. They instructed the victim’s brother, who is also about 16, to rape the teenage sister of the attacker in return for his crime, Ahsan Younis, head of the Multan city police, told The Washington Post.

So the 16-year-old brother followed suit, assaulting the teenage girl in his family’s home and effectively carrying out what Younis called a “revenge rape.”

Two rapes, within two days, all in one extended family. It turns out the first assailant’s father is a brother of the second assailant’s grandfather.

“They are victims and accused at the same time,” Younis said in an interview Thursday morning with The Post. “It’s barbaric.”

Indeed, the case was shocking. But it was not entirely unheard of — such “honor” crimes still take place in some parts of Pakistan and India. But what made this case different was that somebody spoke up, and authorities took action.
so a revenge rape of a teenage girl is considered an "honor crime" by these braindead barbarians

this is beyond disgusting

these village elders all need to be hung by the neck until dead IMO
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Backwards-ass fucking idiots.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Man says he killed wife aboard cruise ship because 'she would not stop laughing at me'
A man was charged today with killing his wife aboard a Princess Cruises ship in Alaska, according to federal court documents.

Kenneth Manzanares has been detained and faces murder charges in the death of his 39-year-old wife, who is identified by the initials K.M., according to a criminal complaint filed today in federal court by the FBI. A source with knowledge of the FBI's investigation told ABC News that the victim was Kristy Manzanares of Utah.

Princess Cruises said a domestic dispute occurred Tuesday night and resulted in the woman's death. The FBI said that it is investigating the "suspicious" death and that it dispatched teams from Anchorage and Seattle to Juneau and Utah to speak with the deceased's family. The agency has jurisdiction in this case, it said, because the death happened on the water.

The incident occurred while the cruise was traveling from Ketchikan to Juneau, acting U.S. Attorney for Alaska Bryan Schroder said in a press conference Thursday afternoon.

According to an affidavit by FBI Special Agent Michael Watson, security and medical personnel "responded to an incident" in the cabin occupied by the Manzanareses aboard the Emerald Princess on Tuesday just after 9 p.m. local time, when the ship was seven miles off the coast of Forrester Island.

She was found with a severe head wound, and blood was spattered throughout the cabin, according to the court documents. She was pronounced dead at approximately 9:20 p.m. local time, the court documents state.

The FBI was then notified of the incident at 11 p.m., an agency spokesperson said in a press conference Thursday.

An Emerald Princess security officer told investigators he noticed blood on Kenneth Manzanares' hands and clothing at the time. According to the affidavit, the officer placed the man in handcuffs and detained him in an adjoining cabin.

The security officer told investigators that other witnesses entered the cabin earlier and also saw blood on man's hands and clothing. According to the affidavit, one witness, identified by the initials D.H., said that he saw the woman lying on the floor covered in blood and that when he asked Kenneth Manzanares what had happened, he replied, "She would not stop laughing at me."

Schroder said that comment was made after the witness had entered the room. Neither he nor the FBI would comment on whether there was a witness in the room at the time of the incident.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Tennessee bride arrested for pulling gun out of wedding dress, pointing it at new husband
This bride had a lot more than a garter belt hiding underneath her wedding dress. A newly married Tennessee couple's wedding night ended with the bride being carted off to jail after she pointed a gun at her husband's head.

Police said shortly after Kate Prichard and James Burton exchanged vows, they got into a heated argument which escalated to Prichard reaching under her wedding dress and brandishing a 9-mm. pistol.

Authorities said they received a call about a husband and wife yelling at each other outside the Clarion Inn motel, News Channel 5 reports. When cops arrived, Prichard and Burton said everything was fine but people at the motel painted a very different picture.

One witness told police that during the argument an angry Prichard, 25, pulled a gun out of her wedding dress and aimed it at her husband. Investigators said the new bride pulled the trigger, but the gun didn't fire because it wasn't loaded. Prichard then loaded the weapon and fired a shot into the air, News Channel 5 reports. She then tried to get rid of the weapon by tossing it in a bathroom at the motel.

Witnesses said both Prichard and Burton had been drinking prior to the incident.

"Officers let the husband know the honeymoon was over," Murfreesboro police Sgt. Kyle Evans said.

Prichard was jailed on aggravated domestic assault, but was released after posting her $15,000 bond.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Authorities say woman, two children free after being held captive in Spotsylvania home for at least two years
A man has been accused of holding a woman and her two children captive for at least two years in their Spotsylvania County home, authorities said.

Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Lt. C.A. Carey said deputies went to a home in the 3600 block of Mine Road Saturday to check the welfare of a family. A caller had expressed concern that no one had seen or heard from any of the family members in quite some time, he said.

Deputies arrived at the home about 5 p.m. and were greeted by a man who authorities said appeared reluctant to let them into the house. While deputies were talking to the man, Carey said, a woman and two children ran out of a side door and were taken to safety by the deputies.

When they got away from the man, they told deputies that it had been at least two years since they had been allowed out of the house.

Carey said the children, ages 11 and 8, had never been to school as far as investigators know. A Sheriff's Office release said the suspect is the father of the children. The man and woman are not married, Carey said.

Kariem Ali Muhammad Moore, 43, was charged with three felony counts of abduction and felony assault and battery. Carey said the investigation is ongoing and more charges could be filed.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Man jumps into ocean to escape police, gets chased by shark instead
A North Carolina man allegedly attempted to elude police on Wednesday by diving into the ocean and swimming away — but unknowingly he was just feet away from a shark while trying the brazen escape.

Zachary Kingsbury, 20, was pulled over for a traffic stop just before 5 p.m. in Surf City, according to WECT.

He allegedly tried to escape when officers spotted illegal contraband inside the vehicle and asked him to exit the car. Kingsbury jumped into the ocean and began swimming away, leading to an hours-long standoff, officials said.

Within an hour, Kingsbury was reportedly 4,000 feet from the shore, and the Surf City Police Department launched a drone to track the escapee.

“At that point, the operation became a rescue operation,” police said in a statement.

But as police were trying to save Kingsbury, they noticed a shark swimming near the man, drone footage showed.

Police were able to nab Kingsbury about 7:45 p.m., according to the Charlotte Observer.

“I would’ve drowned after 10 minutes…dude’s an animal,” a witness wrote in a Facebook post.

Kingsbury was charged with resisting arrest, obstructing an officer, possession of drug paraphernalia, methamphetamine, and possession of marijuana of up to a half an ounce.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Aspiring Pastor Accused of Killing Wife in His Sleep Blames Cold Medicine: ‘I Can’t Believe I Did This’
A 28-year-old North Carolina man is facing a murder charge after allegedly stabbing his wife in bed — but the newlywed claims he doesn’t remember carrying out the alleged crime because he might have done it in his sleep, PEOPLE confirms.

Matthew Phelps, of Raleigh, called police distraught early Friday morning, declaring that his wife, Lauren, was dead on their bedroom floor covered in blood.

“I had a dream and then I turned on the lights and she’s dead on the floor,” he says in a 911 call obtained by PEOPLE. “I have blood all over me and there’s a bloody knife on the bed and I think I did it. I can’t believe this.”

He told the dispatcher through tears that his wife wasn’t breathing and that he was afraid to get close to her — “I’m so scared,” he said.

Phelps is charged with murder and is being held at Wake County Detention Center without bail, a jail spokesperson tells PEOPLE. As police work to determine the circumstances around Lauren’s death, Phelps suggested during the 911 call that cold medicine he took the night before might have led to his alleged actions.

“I took more medicine than I should have,” he said. “I took Coricidin Cough and Cold because I know it can make you feel good. A lot of times I can’t sleep at night. So, I took some.”

He added: “Oh my God. She didn’t deserve this.”
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mystery Runner Won’t Stop Publicly Pooping Around Colorado Town
A mystery woman in Colorado Springs, Colo. is giving runners a pretty crappy reputation. According to local CBS affiliate KKTV, this runner has been defecating outside the house of resident Cathy Budde for the past seven weeks. Even worse—her children first spotted the woman.

Budde and her family have caught the runner at least three times. However, this has not stopped this mystery runner. She continues to leave waste behind at least once a week. The woman has gone so far as to change her running schedule to avoid prying eyes. The community has nicked named her “The Mad Pooper.”

Budde thinks the act is intentional, even if she is unsure who the woman is.

“I put a sign on the wall that’s like ‘please, I’m begging you, please stop.’ … She ran by it like 15 times yesterday, and she still pooped,” Budde told KKTV.

The family turned to the police and the media in an effort to identify the woman. After Budde started sharing her frustration, other neighborhood residents came forward, saying the runner has relieved herself in their backyard and a local Walgreen’s parking lot. If caught, the runner faces charges of indecent exposure and public defecation.

The most baffling aspect of this woman’s behavior is that there are public restrooms available in the area. Budde identified a local park and a gas station nearby, among others.

“There’s plenty of public restrooms less than a block away from where she’s targeting,” Budde shared with KKTV. “This is intentional.”
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Starbucks robbery suspect may sue 'Good Samaritan' who subdued him
The mother of a man who police said attempted to rob a Starbucks in California, but was thwarted by a Good Samaritan, reportedly said her son plans to sue because the hero used "excessive force."

The video of the July robbery went viral. Police released the footage showing Cregg Jerri, 58, struggling with a would-be robber in a Transformers mask who tried to stage a hold-up with a knife and toy gun at a Starbucks in Fresno.

Jerri, at one point, approaches the robber from behind and bashes him over the head with a chair. Eventually the two hit the ground and grapple. Police said Jerri was stabbed in the neck as he tried to grab the knife.

They said when Jerri took the knife away, he stabbed the robber several times. Police said Ryan Flores, 30, was the man in the mask.

"The guy, in my opinion, went from a Good Samaritan to a vigilante," Pamela Chimienti, Flores’ mother, told KSEE-TV. "Stabbing somebody that many times, it doesn't take that many stab wounds to get somebody to succumb to you."

Mark Flores, the man's father, told the Fresno Bee: “I understand he (his son) robbed the store but (Jerri) stabbed my son 17 times."

The Fresno police chief reportedly called the report of the lawsuit “ludicrous.”

Flores, who is currently in jail, did not confirm the lawsuit to the Fresno Bee. “I don’t like to judge people, but that’s a lot of stab wounds,” he said.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Darwinism in China

Chinese 'Rooftopper' Films His Own Death During Skyscraper Stunt
A famous Chinese "rooftopping" enthusiast unwittingly filmed his own death after he fell from a 62-story skyscraper during one of his trademark daredevil stunts.

Wu Yongning, 26, was performing pull-ups at the summit of the Huayuan Hua Center, one of the tallest buildings in Changsha, central China, when he lost his grip and fell.

The incident was captured on a camera that Wu had carefully placed on another part of the building to record himself.

Wu had amassed thousands of followers on Weibo, a popular Chinese social media site, after posting dramatic short videos showing himself perched atop tall buildings without the use of safety equipment. The challenge he was participating in at the time of his death came with $15,000 in prize money, according to the Xiaoxiang Morning Herald, although the paper did not provide further details on the identity of the sponsor or the nature of the competition.

Wu died on November 8, but his death was only confirmed in a social media post by his girlfriend, Jin Jin, a month later, after fans became concerned that no videos had been posted to his channel for a month.

Local police investigating the case described it as an accident and have ruled out foul play.

~~~

Rooftopping, or "buildering," is the practice of accessing rooftops to take skyline photography or perform stunts. The performer often live-streams the footage or posts it to social media. The trend has spiked in popularity all across the world in recent years, despite safety concerns; many climbers insist that the use of safety equipment detracts from the experience.
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

This isn't "of the beaten path" but I find it weird.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1026347001

It's fucking stupid people are upset about this. Person #1 has contact language that they can get more money to do more work. Person #2 says I will do more work for free.

Person #2 can't get mad at person #1. You shouldn't have said you will do it for free. That's on person #2.
docc
Head Coach

Really..? This is a thing now ?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Sushi lover pulled 5-foot tapeworm from intestines
A California man with a love of raw fish had a major scare when a trip to the bathroom led to a disturbing discovery. He felt ill with diarrhea when he noticed what looked like a piece of intestine hanging out of his body.

The man grabbed it and pulled it out and soon learned it was actually a 5-and-a-half-foot tapeworm.

Emergency physician Dr. Kenny Bahn was the doctor on call at the local emergency room in Fresno where the man went and retells the story of the incident on a recent episode of the podcast "This Won't Hurt A Bit."

The patient came to the ER and asked to be treated for worms, something Bahn said he hears a lot from patients who try to self-diagnose and often makes him skeptical.

But then Bahn noticed the man had a plastic bag in his hand. Inside, he had wrapped the worm around a cardboard toilet paper tube.

"That came out of your bottom?" Bahn asked the man, who replied, "Yes."

The doctor asked further questions and found out that the man was suffering from abdominal cramping and bloody diarrhea. While using the bathroom he saw something hanging out of himself and pulled.

"He grabs it, and he pulls on it, and it keeps coming out," Bahn recounted on the podcast. He then held it in front of him "and what does it do? It starts moving."

At the hospital, Bahn unraveled the tapeworm and laid it on paper towels on the emergency room floor. It measured 5 and a half feet long. "My height," Bahn said.

He soon learned the man had not traveled to any other countries or partaken in any unusual behavior that might have exposed him to the parasite. He did admit, however, that he had a love for sushi – particularly raw salmon sashimi – and ate it daily.

Last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that a tapeworm known to infect salmon from the Asian Pacific is now present in fish from U.S. waters.

While the risk of getting a tapeworm from eating raw or undercooked fish is low, doctors warn it is possible.
George Carlin