Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Anyone try insane home fast loss workouts before? I am at 230ish now but would love to get even less. 200 is ultimate goal for me maybe 180 but highly unlikely at my age and bad knee.
UOK
Site Admin

bearsfaninaz wrote:Anyone try insane home fast loss workouts before? I am at 230ish now but would love to get even less. 200 is ultimate goal for me maybe 180 but highly unlikely at my age and bad knee.
It's taken me a few years of trial and error, but I've finally settled upon a school of thought when it comes to weightlifting, exercise, and dieting:

Don't overdo it, don't under-do it. Be realistic with your body and your limits, and do everything incrementally. If you want to lose weight, it starts in the kitchen and ends with cardio. Survey your current diet, figure out what you can immediately stand to stop eating, and maybe count calories. Or simplify even further - meal plan, cook more of your own food, and avoid obvious crap. You'd be amazed how simply deciding not to drink soda and/or beer will impact your weight quickly. The same can be said about obvious stuff like hard liquor, smoking, etc.

There's got to be times where you reward your hard work, but make a once a week type thing. Or not! Again, this is really all person-to-person.

Also, be accepting of your body type and lifestyle. Anyone can have a 6-pack and be a body builder if they want to go balls-out and live at the gym/severely constrain their diets. Unfortunately normal people don't have time or energy to do this. As for me, I'm almost 30 and have accepted that I'm always gonna have a bit of a paunch (my dad's always had one and the men in my mom's side of the family all are huge). I've accepted that I hate doing cardio. I've accepted that my diet is imperfect. I take the things I like to do (lift weights, gentle cardio, cook my own food) and have made it part of my average week.

I've been at a stable weight of around 220 or so ever since then, and my body's become more muscle and less blob.

TL;DR:

1. Be realistic
2. Forge a routine of exercise and diet
3. Acknowledge your limits and adapt to them so that a healthier lifestlye becomes the norm
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Anyone try insane home fast loss workouts before? I am at 230ish now but would love to get even less. 200 is ultimate goal for me maybe 180 but highly unlikely at my age and bad knee.
It's taken me a few years of trial and error, but I've finally settled upon a school of thought when it comes to weightlifting, exercise, and dieting:

Don't overdo it, don't under-do it. Be realistic with your body and your limits, and do everything incrementally. If you want to lose weight, it starts in the kitchen and ends with cardio. Survey your current diet, figure out what you can immediately stand to stop eating, and maybe count calories. Or simplify even further - meal plan, cook more of your own food, and avoid obvious crap. You'd be amazed how simply deciding not to drink soda and/or beer will impact your weight quickly. The same can be said about obvious stuff like hard liquor, smoking, etc.

There's got to be times where you reward your hard work, but make a once a week type thing. Or not! Again, this is really all person-to-person.

Also, be accepting of your body type and lifestyle. Anyone can have a 6-pack and be a body builder if they want to go balls-out and live at the gym/severely constrain their diets. Unfortunately normal people don't have time or energy to do this. As for me, I'm almost 30 and have accepted that I'm always gonna have a bit of a paunch (my dad's always had one and the men in my mom's side of the family all are huge). I've accepted that I hate doing cardio. I've accepted that my diet is imperfect. I take the things I like to do (lift weights, gentle cardio, cook my own food) and have made it part of my average week.

I've been at a stable weight of around 220 or so ever since then, and my body's become more muscle and less blob.

TL;DR:

1. Be realistic
2. Forge a routine of exercise and diet
3. Acknowledge your limits and adapt to them so that a healthier lifestlye becomes the norm
I've already lost 30 pounds from cutting out soda and eating better (with the occasional junk food splurge). But I am at the point now where weight isn't coming off like it was, so I figure it is time to get back into it slowly. I know I can't go all out on these videos, but to do what I can and eventually will build up my stamina again. I am just concerned about my knee, but do have a brace for some type of support.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

What's up with the knee?

If the video has jumping it maybe something you want to stay away from. Something you probably could easily substitute an exercise for those movements. Subbing squats or lunges. But impact can be a concern. Reading and watching some of Coach Dos he had his football players stop a lot of jumping stuff because the risk outweighs the reward.

Also when they have you do squats form is really important with knee issues. I only front squat now because it's almost impossible to Fuck up. Something to consider because front squats force you to keep your spine erect and hips back. Saving pressure from your knees. If the video has you squat just use a stick or imagine a stick sitting across your clavicle. Sit back like your about to sit down hips back. Keep your knees behind your toes with your weight on your heels.

It's actually a very natural movement but done incorrectly under stress can Fuck you up.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I have forged my workout plan. Thought I would post the concept for anyone looking to go through with there resolution plan.

I work a messed up schedule so the plan won't work for everyone but the concepts will. I work 3rd shift 6 on 3 off. One regular week I may hit the gym 7 days or maybe 3. Plus I box one day a week for an hour. So I tried to make my work out very adaptive. This is something I think us normal people need to do. A strict plan dies when you miss a day or two. But a plan designed to conform to life can thrive under duress.

The key components for me were physical endurance plus strength. Instead of plodding away on a treadmill and lifting I have merged the two, to create a more exciting and realistic work out. They last approximately an hour. After that my energy is shot

I use two phone apps.

One is a round timer. I use it as a pace counter. I set it for 20 seconds to 10 seconds of rest, for 8 sets, and 1-2 min rest between exercises. I don't race the clock I know the max reps for a front squat in that time frame is 7. After my first or second set I most likely hit much lower numbers 5 3 1 etc as i fatigue . I am constantly pushing to beat the previous work out volume. I get gassed quickly and completly.

The other app is called fit notes, a work out log app that easily graphs your work out volume. I log every work out and the next work out try and beat the volume for each exercise. It helps me push the intensity.

I rotate 3 work outs. they are set up similarly working different muscle groups. Legs and shoulders, chestate and back, functional strength and core.

Example FS Core

Elliptical 10 min warm up. Raising resistance each week
Turkish get - up 3 sets of 3
Dumbell Windmill - 4 sets of 8
Ab roll out - 8 sets, 20 by 10 seconds
Cable chop - 8 sets, 20 by 10 seconds
Med ball slams - 8 sets, 20 by 10 seconds
Run - 10 min

Some great exercise to add/look at

Overhead squats
front squats
deadlines
muscle snatches
Push press
The king turkish get ups
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am a big sweets (candy, cakes and chocolate, cookies) eater. I went cold turkey starting January 5. Along with workouts and cutting that out I have lost 6 pounds. I am a smaller guy but was carrying a little too much around the midsection. Whatever workouts I do I always mix in cardio of late. Light days I will use weights I can rep about 20 times. I will do a set of weights and then 30 seconds of some type of cardio. I will do three sets of those two and then change to two other excercises (one weight and one cardio). I try to get my workouts done within 30 minutes. The days I do heavier weights I go at a slower pace.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I recently became very into fasting. There is a ton of research into it and I have been doing it for 4 months.

Essentially you don't eat for 10-14 hours. This helps with insulin sensitivity, hormone production, guttural micro flora, inflammation, and overall good processing.

Several plans include a 10 hour eating window. I just eat essentially twice a day, and have lost body fat, and continued gaining muscle.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:So I recently became very into fasting. There is a ton of research into it and I have been doing it for 4 months.

Essentially you don't eat for 10-14 hours. This helps with insulin sensitivity, hormone production, guttural micro flora, inflammation, and overall good processing.

Several plans include a 10 hour eating window. I just eat essentially twice a day, and have lost body fat, and continued gaining muscle.
I used to do intermittent fasting, the 16:8 specifically. You don't eat for 16 hours and then once your 8 hour window opens you can pretty much eat whatever you want (within reason).

Last meal would usually be around 8:00pm, and then I wouldn't eat again until noon the next day. Was tough at first but coffee is a wonderful thing and you get used to it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Night shift kind of makes the 16-8 hard for me, though its popular. Though I am entertaining the idea of 24hr fats 2-3 times a month. Maybe even a 48. I haven't done that sense HS wrestling. Then it was called starvation.
G08
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Night shift kind of makes the 16-8 hard for me, though its popular. Though I am entertaining the idea of 24hr fats 2-3 times a month. Maybe even a 48. I haven't done that sense HS wrestling. Then it was called starvation.
I can't go 24 hours without food in this city. Interestingly enough if you have a solid HIIT session, you won't feel hungry for a good 2-3 hours. Just pound water and get to bed and you can cheat some extra time onto that 16 hour fast.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I was a simple power lifter for years where I would pyramid up until failure. Back then I maxed out at 10 reps in a set...just hit 10 and added weight. I did that for just about everything.

I just hit 40. I work an unbelievably physical job. Last week I moved 7 tons of dirt and crushed stone with a shovel and wheelbarrow in 2 days. I also hand laid 2.5 tons of brick in another day. My power tamper was in the shop and I had to hand tamp about 130 square foot. I figured it at 750 arm raises with the 30lb hand tamper.

This week was a lot easier. I pounded out 120 SF of cement with a 20lb sledge on Monday then dumped 2 ton of stone into the area and spread it. Got to use the power tamper yesterday and laid out 110 SF of brick pavers (1 ton), and did a 1/2 day of bent over cuts with the chopsaw. I just got done spreading 4 yards of topsoil to (3.5 ton) with a wheelbarrow and shovel.

So strength isn't my issue. I only lift when I'm not working and this last winter I changed my gym tactics. I found my 1 rep max at each exercise. Then I started working at 60% of that max. By the end of the winter I had reached or increased my goal of 5 sets of 20 reps for each. Some things like legs and triceps I was able to reach quickly (within a month and a half), and then add weight. My right shoulder is crap anymore so bench was a struggle all winter and I finally went to a couple of weeks of power lifting again to get past a plateau. But my last week I was able to hit 4 sets of 20 with the last set only tickling 19.

I made some gains in my core training as well this off season. But I have a disk that gets ornery. The only thing I was able to do that didn't aggravate it was leg raises from an upright position bracing my forearms on the metal arms. I don't have one at home, so anyone have back friendly core exercises (low impact but hits the guy)?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:So I recently became very into fasting. There is a ton of research into it and I have been doing it for 4 months.

Is that the Renegade Diet?
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

:lol:

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn!! REading some of this shit makes it sound like you have to be some kind of scientist or some shit like that.

Hell, starting March 1, decided I need to lose about 12 lbs due to pants not wanting to snap. Just decided to cut out sweets, coffee (due to all the cream I used) get more serious about working out and started running again. In 2 months I have lost 14 lbs. Adding a little muscle by hitting the weights, no specific workout, just do a bunch of different stuff to keep it from getting boring. Not wanting to be an atlas or anything, but just wanting to be better fit at 54.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

WHERE'S THE REP FEATURE WHEN YOU NEED IT?!
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:I was a simple power lifter for years where I would pyramid up until failure. Back then I maxed out at 10 reps in a set...just hit 10 and added weight. I did that for just about everything.

I just hit 40. I work an unbelievably physical job. Last week I moved 7 tons of dirt and crushed stone with a shovel and wheelbarrow in 2 days. I also hand laid 2.5 tons of brick in another day. My power tamper was in the shop and I had to hand tamp about 130 square foot. I figured it at 750 arm raises with the 30lb hand tamper.

This week was a lot easier. I pounded out 120 SF of cement with a 20lb sledge on Monday then dumped 2 ton of stone into the area and spread it. Got to use the power tamper yesterday and laid out 110 SF of brick pavers (1 ton), and did a 1/2 day of bent over cuts with the chopsaw. I just got done spreading 4 yards of topsoil to (3.5 ton) with a wheelbarrow and shovel.

So strength isn't my issue. I only lift when I'm not working and this last winter I changed my gym tactics. I found my 1 rep max at each exercise. Then I started working at 60% of that max. By the end of the winter I had reached or increased my goal of 5 sets of 20 reps for each. Some things like legs and triceps I was able to reach quickly (within a month and a half), and then add weight. My right shoulder is crap anymore so bench was a struggle all winter and I finally went to a couple of weeks of power lifting again to get past a plateau. But my last week I was able to hit 4 sets of 20 with the last set only tickling 19.

I made some gains in my core training as well this off season. But I have a disk that gets ornery. The only thing I was able to do that didn't aggravate it was leg raises from an upright position bracing my forearms on the metal arms. I don't have one at home, so anyone have back friendly core exercises (low impact but hits the guy)?
not to derail this thread too much, but i was a stone mason for 10 years before a herniated disc nudged me out of it. i mostly just garden these days but still build a patio or two a year because i love working with natural stone. but the profession is hell on the body.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:I was a simple power lifter for years where I would pyramid up until failure. Back then I maxed out at 10 reps in a set...just hit 10 and added weight. I did that for just about everything.

not to derail this thread too much, but i was a stone mason for 10 years before a herniated disc nudged me out of it. i mostly just garden these days but still build a patio or two a year because i love working with natural stone. but the profession is hell on the body.
Yeah, I've had different disks give me trouble over the years, but the one that is affecting me now has been the most persistent. Until I save up enough to finish my wood shop, I'm stuck doing the pavers and natural stone.

Like you, I enjoy the work, but if it does play havoc on me if I'm not very mindful of everything I lift and bend to reach for. Sucks because it take a lot of mental energy to be careful instead of just moving on instinct.

So if anyone does have some back friendly core exercises, I'm still interested
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Core exercises for someone with back issues. I am not a Doctor or a physical therapist. However I do listen and read a ton of stuff from S&C coaches, and medical professionals. I have also had back and shoulder pain, so I have added these exercises, and stretches into my workouts, and daily routines.

Hanging - Its super simple and the easiest effective way to add spinal decompression to your day. Just hang from a bar, let you feet hang, and hold. Try to relax your body and importantly your back and shoulder muscles. You should begin to feel your shoulders actually separating as you hand, and your back vertebra relaxing. Tension is a no go here, just relax.

http://cassfitness.net/decompressing-yo ... ll-up-bar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.markpieciak.com/2013/11/dead ... er-health/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stretching - Cat, Cow, and Prayer Poses. These especially cat and prayer to me help a ton relax those muscles in the back. Google search them. Also don't forget to stretch your glutes and hamstrings.

Foam Rolling - its a simple form of massage. Don't forget to use on your glutes and hamstrings.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOW ON TO CORE EXERCISES
First flexation and rotation are a large cause of back pain. So the term Neutral Spine is important. Your core protects your spine, and transfers energy from your lower body to your upper body. Your lower back vertebra have only like 2% rotation per vertebra, however people for some reason do a ton of rotation when it comes to core exercises. I blame Rocky sit ups. So in every core exercise i like to really focus on keeping my spine in line. To do this really flexing your core during the exercise keeps it in place.

Planks - Obviously a well known exercise. However I recommend Pavel's method. It should be intense, and quick. When in position you try and bend the earth with your elbows and feet, keeping every muscle in your body as contracted as possible.

TRX Pike - It starts as a plank with TRX straps. Keeping your spine straight lift your ass in the air. Simple but not easy. At the bottom of the movement, don't bounce or your lower lumbar will feel it.

TRX Anti Rotation Press - It looks easy but it is not. Coach Dos called this the best anti rotation exercise he knew of. It looks easy but the more you become horizontal the harder it is, and its not easy even almost vertical.

Windmill - One of my favorite exercises. It looks like it would hurt but it doesn't. In the movement your getting oblique strengthening, stability in your shoulders (I love the shoulder health results I have had), range of motion, and you get a stretch in your hams. Start light, I started with 30 lbs, and now hit the 100s. I use dumbells because I don't have kettle bells.

Turkish Get Up - The best single exercise you will find.

I also love Med ball Slams, Figure 8 to holds, you have to watch your spine here though. Dont forget Squats (overhead, front) and deadlifts.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Core exercises for someone with back issues. I am not a Doctor or a physical therapist. However I do listen and read a ton of stuff from S&C coaches, and medical professionals. I have also had back and shoulder pain, so I have added these exercises, and stretches into my workouts, and daily routines.

Hanging - Its super simple and the easiest effective way to add spinal decompression to your day. Just hang from a bar, let you feet hang, and hold. Try to relax your body and importantly your back and shoulder muscles. You should begin to feel your shoulders actually separating as you hand, and your back vertebra relaxing. Tension is a no go here, just relax.

http://cassfitness.net/decompressing-yo ... ll-up-bar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.markpieciak.com/2013/11/dead ... er-health/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stretching - Cat, Cow, and Prayer Poses. These especially cat and prayer to me help a ton relax those muscles in the back. Google search them. Also don't forget to stretch your glutes and hamstrings.

Foam Rolling - its a simple form of massage. Don't forget to use on your glutes and hamstrings.

NOW ON TO CORE EXERCISES
First flexation and rotation are a large cause of back pain. So the term Neutral Spine is important. Your core protects your spine, and transfers energy from your lower body to your upper body. Your lower back vertebra have only like 2% rotation per vertebra, however people for some reason do a ton of rotation when it comes to core exercises. I blame Rocky sit ups. So in every core exercise i like to really focus on keeping my spine in line. To do this really flexing your core during the exercise keeps it in place.

Planks - Obviously a well known exercise. However I recommend Pavel's method. It should be intense, and quick. When in position you try and bend the earth with your elbows and feet, keeping every muscle in your body as contracted as possible.

TRX Pike - It starts as a plank with TRX straps. Keeping your spine straight lift your ass in the air. Simple but not easy. At the bottom of the movement, don't bounce or your lower lumbar will feel it.

TRX Anti Rotation Press - It looks easy but it is not. Coach Dos called this the best anti rotation exercise he knew of. It looks easy but the more you become horizontal the harder it is, and its not easy even almost vertical.

Windmill - One of my favorite exercises. It looks like it would hurt but it doesn't. In the movement your getting oblique strengthening, stability in your shoulders (I love the shoulder health results I have had), range of motion, and you get a stretch in your hams. Start light, I started with 30 lbs, and now hit the 100s. I use dumbells because I don't have kettle bells.

Turkish Get Up - The best single exercise you will find.

I also love Med ball Slams, Figure 8 to holds, you have to watch your spine here though. Dont forget Squats (overhead, front) and deadlifts.
I'll give it a go! Hopefully no :stretcher:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I decided to post this because I am losing a bit of motivation for me, and maybe a poster or two. I am hoping it keeps me on track to reach my goals. Like many people I have to have goals, to produce motivation. I have gone long periods without goals, and it leads me to skip the gym or not get after it the way i want. I view exercise just as much a physical endeavor, but mental. It becomes meditative to me, and I can physically and mentally see how much better I am after. Less frustrated, and that type of shit. So anyway.

A few months ago I was reading a forum talking about weighing 200 lbs with a 1000 lbs combined in the three power lifts (Bench, Deadlift, Back Squat). In competition a 1000 lbs isn't a lot. I read it an thought, fuck I can do that and I weight 220lbs. So I came up with a set of goals for my 34th birthday. To be stronger, and have similar endurance to the 24 year old me. So i set my goals, a 1200 lbs combined power lift, a 120 lb Turkish get up, and a 14:22 two mile run. My best 2 mile run in the Army was 12:30, and I commonly ran 14 min with ease. However I specifically remember running a 14:22 in Iraq, and that seemed attainable so that is my bench mark. I also wanted to weigh 200lbs like I did at 24.

I have two months to go. The last month, kind of derailed me, with family and work issues. Gym time, and motivation have waned. So this week I tested my self, to see how I am doing. I am pretty close to everything, closer then I thought. 475lb deadlift, 335 back squat, 315 bench press for 1125lbs total. I could have probably gotten slightly more but it wasn't an all out effort. I have done the 120lbs TGU. I ran a 15:10 two mile yesterday (this is going to be the hardest goal). I was 211 lbs today. So I am right at cusp of all my goals, and for some reason, don't care that much. Its gotten hard. The work to improve has reached that difficult point. Time is not freely available.

So if by the end of July I can't complete my goals, I will post for a year with a signature of anyone's choice. That will be part of my motivation.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

mmm-35, I have been big on goal setting this spring. I had the weight loss goal that I have met but now want to lose a little more.

4 yrs ago I was running 3.2 miles with ease and some days longer. Well that winter I quit and I have not had much luck getting back to that distance. This year I set a goal of running/jogging in a 5k. last sunday I had a pace of 8:24 in a 2.97 mile run. Thurs it was much slower, but I ran/jogged at friggin 6 a.m.. Way too early for me.

I got to thinking, the 5k I wanted to run initially is in a week. I think I will wait til later in the summer so I have the motivation to keep jogging. I feel great after a good jog.

Just like working out (tabata, HIIT or weights), I feel great when doing it. When I miss I feel a little lousy.

I think I am in better shape now at 54 than I was at 30. My body is feeling it at times, doesn't help that I h aven't been sleeping well lately.

I want to keep this lifestyle going until I die, just have to quit being tempted by that bitch (that is cakes, cookies, ice cream and chocolate).
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I just read where Cody Kessler held fast to a strict diet to reach his goals:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -salvation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PRE-WORKOUT

»PowerBar
BREAKFAST

» two (2) scrambled eggs
» oatmeal with water
» two (2) pieces of fruit
» milk
» water
MID-MORNING SNACK (GO CRAZY)

» almonds
LUNCH

» turkey and provolone sandwich (no toppings or condiments)
» fifteen (15) baby carrots
» banana
» water
» milk

FIRST LOOK AT 2017 SEASON
  ▹ Five intriguing storylines to watch in offseason
  ▹ Who will win the NFL rushing title in '17?
  ▹ 10 most talented teams in NFL
  ▹ Ranking every QB class since 2000
  ▹ Predicting '17 division races
  ▹ Early OROY, DROY predictions
  ▹ Why 'Hawks will regain their swagger
  ▹ Who will snap playoff drought in '17?
'TOP 100 PLAYERS OF 2017'
  ▹ Ike Taylor's Rankings:
    ▸ 100-81 | 80-71 | 70-61 | 60-51
MID-AFTERNOON SNACK (WE'RE SO BAD!)

» pretzels with peanut butter
DINNER

» cooked chicken breast
» spinach
» plain whole wheat pasta (no sauce or dressing)
» milk
» water
Every day. Three months. No cheating.
As far as running, instead of dialing in on just running 2 miles, change it up a bit by running some sprints in the yard and change up the distances as available...2x 20 yards, 2x 20 and back, 2x 40, 2x 40 and back, 2x 20 and back and 40 and back (basically the old basketball suicide sprints of run to the mid line and back then go full court then combo and do half and full)...then go for a jog at least a mile...more if you feel good with wind and cramps.

Work in a full 2 mile run 1x a week to see how your progressing. But with any plateau, you have to find a way to bust through it.
LacertineForest
MVP

A couple of years ago, I got into the StrongLifts / 5x5 program, and I bought a power rack and set of weights. I've been doing various programs since, but StrongLifts has been the most successful for me. I've recently re-dedicated myself to the program, and I bought the app for my smartphone (highly recommended - it's a really good app!)

My biggest obstacle has been diet - I tend not to eat enough to advance beyond a certain point and I just plateau, lose interest, and then move on to something else. This time around, I'm focusing a lot more on protein intake and a good protein / carb / fat ratio (aiming for 35% / 30% / 35%).

Beyond that, I've found that once I start lifting a certain weight, it starts to interfere with my speed, mobility, and agility, which is a bit of a problem because I play a lot of sports (mostly indoor soccer and volleyball), and my best assets are my quickness and speed.

I'd say my goal right now is to stick with the SL program and my diet for at least three months and then re-evaluate where I'm at. So far, I'm feeling really good about where I'm at, but the weight is going to get heavy for me soon and that will be the real test of my mettle and resolve.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I ended up attending a seminar and lecture completely by accident that focuses on adjusting fitness regime as one ages ... because as much as I would like to think it, I am no longer in my 20's and what I did while younger doesn't work with an older metabolism ... it was a very well done presentation and provided some good info and I have changed some things over the past year and feel much better overall

plus, when I went over the stuff with my doctor during my last follow-up, she gave a thumbs up to it

so this was a very useful and informative presentation that wasn't well publicized for some reason ... only way I knew about it was actually taking a flyer from someone in the mall ... ended up being a happy accident ... and I met a nice group I can actually work with
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Been hitting the bike lately. I have been going on rides anywhere from 15-20 miles. Just really pushing to get to a certain weight and hope to maintain this weight. Vacation was a killer. Very little to no working out (did walk quite a bit), ate like shit and drank more alcohol than usual. Trying to get back in the swing after an 8 day sabbatical.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So previously I posted goals for myself by the age of 34.
I plan on completing the test next week. Granted not the end of July but 2 weddings a bachelor party and a birthday have left me detoxing during the work week, for thee last 3 weeks.

However I have been exercising fairly regularly and doing well. I believe I have all the lifts without issue. I have run the 2 miles in the time. It wasn't easy and not a guarantee. I changed a few things up in the cardio department that seemed to help. So 2 days a week I set a 1/4 mile time of 90 sec. It's a "slow" race time but a 6 min mile pace. After every lap a walk a min and do this until I complete 2 miles. Which gets me fairly tired. The first 4 min mile guy did something similar. The other two I use either the stair climber or elliptical for length of time under light to moderate exertion.

The weight is 10lbs off. Beer tons of beer but I am not worried as i have only one day off in the next 12 days. So I am feeling fairly confident.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Australian bodybuilder with rare disorder dies eating high-protein diet
(CNN) - Meegan Hefford, a 25-year-old bodybuilder, was found unconscious on June 19 in her Mandurah, Western Australia, apartment, according to CNN affiliate Australia News 7.

Days later, Hefford was pronounced dead. Only after her death did her family learn that Hefford, the mother of a 7-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy, had a rare genetic disorder that prevented her body from properly metabolizing her high-protein diet.

Urea cycle disorder, which causes a deficiency of one enzyme in the urea cycle, stops the body from breaking down protein, according to the nonprofit National Urea Cycle Disorders Foundation.

Normally, the body can remove nitrogen, a waste product of protein metabolism, from the blood. However, a urea cycle disorder would prohibit this.

Therefore, nitrogen, in the form of toxic ammonia, would accumulate in the blood and eventually reach the brain, where it can cause irreversible damage, coma and death.

"The enzyme deficiency can be mild enough so that the person is able to detoxify ammonia adequately -- until there's a trigger," said Cynthia Le Mons, executive director of the foundation. The trigger could be a viral illness, stress or a high-protein diet, she added.

"There was just no way of knowing she had it because they don't routinely test for it," said Michelle White, Hefford's mother and a resident of Perth. "She started to feel unwell, and she collapsed."

kind of a scary scenario ... how many people even give a second thought to protein shakes, protein bars and other over the counter non-medicinal supplements?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

My boys have something similar with fat. The common newborn screening catches a bunch of genetic diseases. Those of use who are slightly elder didn't get that screening. But most are fairly rare.

Side note, 14:12 2 mile and 1215lbs. Fairly proud.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have recently found out I cannot job in memory foam shoes. I get terrible shin and calf pain. The foot slightly moving around is not making it for me. Back to a rigid bottom for me.
G08
Hall of Famer

So deadlifts have pretty much changed my physique. I've been lifting fairly consistently since my freshman year of college and made solid gains but stalled out after 5 years or so. Since I tacked on deadlifts (as well as HIIT) to my weekly routine, my squats/bench/shoulder press/curls/and lat pull-downs have exploded.

If it's not a part of your routine or you feel like you've hit a wall... add them.