Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 listen to this guy about trap bar deadlift. I listen to a lot of S&C coaches. I found this fasinating.

traffic.libsyn.com/timferriss/The_Tim_Ferriss_Show_-_Ryan_Flaherty.mp3?dest-id=189939
LacertineForest
MVP

G08 wrote:So deadlifts have pretty much changed my physique. I've been lifting fairly consistently since my freshman year of college and made solid gains but stalled out after 5 years or so. Since I tacked on deadlifts (as well as HIIT) to my weekly routine, my squats/bench/shoulder press/curls/and lat pull-downs have exploded.

If it's not a part of your routine or you feel like you've hit a wall... add them.
I definitely noticed my rows and shoulder press increasing since I've started the doing it with StrongLifts. Like you, I never did deadlifts during high school or college.

Another lift I've been doing recently as an accessory is the hip thrust: https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-hip-thrust/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I've read that it's supposed to be great for developing glutes, hams, and quads, which should help my squat and deadlift even further.

I recently changed to a 3x5 because it was taking about 90 minutes to complete a workout. I just don't have that much time, and I feel like I have more confidence lifting only three sets - it's a lot easier to tell yourself "shit, that was heavy. Barely made it through - only 2 more sets to go" than "christ, I'll never make it through four more sets of that."

This is my progress as of yesterday:
share_2070268232974849463.png
Here's a picture of my setup in the basement:
IMG_20170825_185233.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
malk
Head Coach

Thought this recent article was quite interesting:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/individualized-program-design/
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

I've got my deadlifts at 335 lbs 3 x 5 (or more but the majority of the time I burn out around 5 reps)

Bench, I do dumbells 85 lbs 3 x 8

Squats I'm currently at 275 3 x 8 (my form is fucked up right now, I'm trying to perfect the low bar squat and it's kind of fucking with my center of gravity)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

LacertineForest
MVP

G08 wrote:I've got my deadlifts at 335 lbs 3 x 5 (or more but the majority of the time I burn out around 5 reps)

Bench, I do dumbells 85 lbs 3 x 8

Squats I'm currently at 275 3 x 8 (my form is fucked up right now, I'm trying to perfect the low bar squat and it's kind of fucking with my center of gravity)
I haven't hit failure yet on my deadlifts, but I don't think it's far off. I feel like I'm cheating a little using straps, but I just couldn't keep the grip once the weight got too heavy. I felt as if I could lift the weight, but it seemed dangerous having the weight slipping out of my hands.

I've always kind of struggled with upper body strength - I put all of my emphasis on lower body when I was playing football because that was pretty much the only way I was going to be able to play as a 5'9" 165-lb lineman (thankfully I went to a small school), so my chest is definitely underdeveloped comparatively.

I do high bar squats. I learned about low bar squats when I was starting to do around 260 lbs (5x5) and I had a really tough time getting the form down at that weight. I felt okay at the bottom of the squat, but it was so awkward and comfortable at the top. I feel okay doing high bar squats though because low bar squat more mimics the deadlifts form, so it's kind of a duplication of the same muscle groups. High bar targets the quads more, and I don't get quad work from anywhere else. I might do low bar at some point, but I'm going to have to drop a good amount of weight to get the form down first.
LacertineForest
MVP

malk wrote:Thought this recent article was quite interesting:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/individualized-program-design/
Really interesting article, thanks for sharing. It's really incredible how complicated we are, as individuals. I was talking to a friend of mine who is doing the same program as I am and he's hardly cracked 200 lbs squatting, but is deadlifting 400. Another person who was doing the same program could bench like 200 lbs but only squat around 225. Our genetics alone make things wildly variable, and then when you throw in all the other factors it's no surprise results vary so widely from person to person.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I thought I would bump this with the addition of a new S&C coach and a new year.

So nutritionally I have become very happy with fasting, and a primary meat diet. I won't go full carnivore diet though some of the concepts are intriguing. I like beer and pizza too much. However lately, especially on work days, meat with light carbs and veggies are my go to. This is after fasting for 12-14 hours. I tell you what I feel really good when I adhere to it.

At the gym my work outs are simple. 15 minutes cardio, alternating daily intensity. 30 minutes lifting. Multi joint strength exercise less then 5 Reps combined with joint strengthening. Then a Tabata work capacity finisher.

I am thinking of adding a plyo in between sets like the new S&C coach does.
cblaz11
MVP

I started the Brad Pitt Fight Club workout a year ago. I muscle per day, always super set with legs, abs, or push-ups. Lighter weights and reps around 12-25.

I also do the Johnson and Johnson 7 minute workout every morning right out of bed..and after dinner at night. Gym around 5pm every day.

Not bragging, but I'm 37 and in the best shape of my life. Ripped 6 pack and feeling pretty good.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I do bench, preacher curl and deadlifts during my workout. I don't have a chest day per se. Then I also do a lot of treadmill with a brisk walk. No running. 3.8 or 3.6 depending on what I'm doing. Its one of the ways that I catch up on my DVR and podcasts.

Normally I focus on 4 x 5s when lifting. For bench I do a 4 x 5 plus an AMRAP.

There is a device I wear called a Slingshot for 2 out of every 3 bench workouts per week and it has really helped my benchpressing in terms of form and also strength. I highly recommend that you have a spotter (you should have a spotter no matter what anyway) when wearing this. In fact I would say you must have a spotter when wearing this. It allows you to bench press more at the same time, but more importantly it forces good form.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

]Mark Bell the creator of the sling shot, uses it as a overload training device. It also helps with form as it keeps your shoulder in right and elbows on plane.

I have never used it but know people who have and like it.
G08
Hall of Famer

Looking to mix things up a bit... what are your (anyone) thoughts on going to the gym 5x a week rather than 3x a week.

In the past I would go M/W/F and lift for about an hour and then do HIIT for another 15-20.

That was taking up too much of my time so I'm thinking about lifting MWF (can probably cut that down to 45 minutes) and doing HIIT on Tues/Thurs (maybe 30 min overall).

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I workout 5-6 times a week. My workouts vary daily and I incorporate cardio and weights. Don't lift real heavy, at my age no reason to. I do some tabata, HIIT, weights, bike, stairs, body weight excercises to really just not get in a rut. Hoping the weather warms up soon so I can start jogging and going on long bike rides.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I go 3-5 times a week depending on the "circuit" I'm on in any give 3 week period. I basically change up my workout routine every week now and I'm seeing some pretty serious gains for a 40 year old.

So I break things up into:
1. Super-setting circuits where every day I work opposite major muscle groups Bicep/tricep + shoulders; chest/back; core and legs...on this circuit I'm at the gym 3 times a week
2. Power circuit where I pyramid from a set of 12 after warmup up to 1 rep max, adding weight until failure. this circuit takes 4 days to fit in
3. Strength training circuits where I'm doing 5 sets of 20 for everything at 55-65% my max 1 rep. I'm at the gym 5 times a week to have the time to get everything done

I don't tend to take long rests, watch the clock and take no more than a minute rest between sets if I can help it and usually stay only 45 minutes. I also break up the exercises I do so for example chest: I only do declines once every 3 weeks, and only do bar work for flat or incline and do dumbells for the other exercise. then work in 1 exercise of one of the hammer strength machines of just some dumbbell flys but constantly breaking up which exercises I do on each cicuit
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

So on average how long are ya'll spending at the gym each workout?

Sometimes when I'm lifting I hit this groove where I don't want to stop and the next thing I know it's been 2 hours with lifting/cardio. I'm sure it's healthy but it murders any semblance of free time at home. I don't like dicking around and chit-chatting with people when I'm there, I just want to get in, get my shit done, and get out. Maybe spend 5-10 in the steam room after.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I work out at home and try to keep my workouts under 45 minutes. I take very little rest between sets especially when doing circuits. I got shit to do so I want to get through in decent time.
LacertineForest
MVP

G08 wrote:So on average how long are ya'll spending at the gym each workout?

Sometimes when I'm lifting I hit this groove where I don't want to stop and the next thing I know it's been 2 hours with lifting/cardio. I'm sure it's healthy but it murders any semblance of free time at home. I don't like dicking around and chit-chatting with people when I'm there, I just want to get in, get my shit done, and get out. Maybe spend 5-10 in the steam room after.
I have my weights setup in my basement, and even then it's pretty easy to spend too much time down there. When you start failing and having to wait 3-5 minutes between sets, just a few lifts can take 1.5 hours if you're doing 5x5. I've moved to 3x5 and keeping my rest at 1.5 minutes between sets. Even though I've read you ideally want 2-3 mins between for strength, I'm not going to be participating in any lifting competitions and I'd rather finish a workout in 45 minutes.

I've really been feeling the squeeze lately - Soccer league one night, volleyball 2x/week, swimming with my wife 2x/week, lifting 2x/week, bike to work 1-3x/week - sometimes it feels like I hardly have time to eat. Then there are other hobbies/activities, professional development, etc. As a result, my lifting consistency hasn't been what I'd like, but that's nobody's fault but my own.
skamanfrank
Journeyman

Just before Christmas I decided that I was going to join a local football team (over here in the UK) and at the same time join the gym to start working out and getting stronger. Playing American football is something I've always wanted to try and also means I HAVE to go to the gym else I simply won't make the team.

Currently, I'm focusing on compound exercises as I want to build all round strength. Soon however, I plan to switch to a more explosive Strength and Conditioning type workout as I believe it will be more suitable for my football goals.

Fitting it in around work is challenging and my body isn't too keen on the sudden increase in activity! I'm also struggling with hyper extension in my knees and the effect that has on my back/glutes/posture... but we'll get there!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Sometimes when I'm lifting I hit this groove where I don't want to stop and the next thing I know it's been 2 hours with lifting/cardio.
G08 wrote:Looking to mix things up a bit... what are your (anyone) thoughts on going to the gym 5x a week rather than 3x a week.

In the past I would go M/W/F and lift for about an hour and then do HIIT for another 15-20.

That was taking up too much of my time so I'm thinking about lifting MWF (can probably cut that down to 45 minutes) and doing HIIT on Tues/Thurs (maybe 30 min overall)..
There is no benefit to working out for 2 hours a day for a guy with like you G08. Your spending more time in the gym per workout then Dorian Yates did.

In the body building world 2 hour workouts may have a place, but for a normal person it's pointless. My current schedule doesn't allow for a consistent 5 day a week plan. I have used it though and liked it. Generally I keep weight training to about 30 min, and cardio to 20-30 min. I have a problem where I work out to hard. So I force my self to keep workouts as brief as I can. Otherwise I will go until I puke.
Adipost
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:

Sometimes when I'm lifting I hit this groove where I don't want to stop and the next thing I know it's been 2 hours with lifting/cardio.
G08 wrote:Looking to mix things up a bit... what are your (anyone) thoughts on going to the gym 5x a week rather than 3x a week.

That was taking up too much of my time so I'm thinking about lifting MWF (can probably cut that down to 45 minutes) and doing HIIT on Tues/Thurs (maybe 30 min overall)..
There is no benefit to working out for 2 hours a day for a guy with like you G08. Your spending more time in the gym per workout then Dorian Yates did.

In the body building world 2 hour workouts may have a place, but for a normal person it's pointless. My current schedule doesn't allow for a consistent 5 day a week plan. I have used it though and liked it. Generally I keep weight training to about 30 min, and cardio to 20-30 min. I have a problem where I work out to hard. So I force my self to keep workouts as brief as I can. Otherwise I will go until I puke.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27433992

The purpose of this paper was to systematically review the current literature and elucidate the effects of total weekly resistance training (RT) volume on changes in measures of muscle mass via meta-regression. The final analysis comprised 34 treatment groups from 15 studies. Outcomes for weekly sets as a continuous variable showed a significant effect of volume on changes in muscle size (P = 0.002). Each additional set was associated with an increase in effect size (ES) of 0.023 corresponding to an increase in the percentage gain by 0.37%. Outcomes for weekly sets categorised as lower or higher within each study showed a significant effect of volume on changes in muscle size (P = 0.03); the ES difference between higher and lower volumes was 0.241, which equated to a percentage gain difference of 3.9%. Outcomes for weekly sets as a three-level categorical variable (<5, 5–9 and 10+ per muscle) showed a trend for an effect of weekly sets (P = 0.074). The findings indicate a graded dose-response relationship whereby increases in RT volume produce greater gains in muscle hypertrophy.
G08
Hall of Famer

I am struggling to find any motivation to get back to the gym. It's been about 7 or 8 weeks I believe at this point and I feel like dogshit. The thing I love/hate is that I become a creature of habit and especially with the gym, it runs everything in my life. If I'm working out then I'm immediately eating better, then I like the results I see and it turns into a feedback loop. On the flip side, if I miss a few days or even a week I snap out of that routine and get back into being lazy or eating like shit (Chicago makes it fucking tough to be on a good diet, for me anyway lol).

I'm thinking of trying to get up an hour earlier each day and go work out. 4-5 days a week, lift one day and HIIT the next. Rinse repeat, shouldn't take more than 40 minutes.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I am struggling to find any motivation to get back to the gym. It's been about 7 or 8 weeks I believe at this point and I feel like dogshit. The thing I love/hate is that I become a creature of habit and especially with the gym, it runs everything in my life. If I'm working out then I'm immediately eating better, then I like the results I see and it turns into a feedback loop. On the flip side, if I miss a few days or even a week I snap out of that routine and get back into being lazy or eating like shit (Chicago makes it fucking tough to be on a good diet, for me anyway lol).

I'm thinking of trying to get up an hour earlier each day and go work out. 4-5 days a week, lift one day and HIIT the next. Rinse repeat, shouldn't take more than 40 minutes.
I am there myself. I tore my meniscus and while it's good enough to go light I can put to much on it yet. That's what happens when a bunch of old high school wrestlers get together. Agro shit.

I have been eating like shit and just unmotivated. I plan to start back up tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't push hard. Which generally I do every time I go to the gym. Literally I can't stop myself sometimes.

You want motivation just get yourself through the door. If you need help getting there listen to the link below. Your welcome.

https://youtu.be/IdTMDpizis8
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Must be in the water. It has been about 3 weeks for me. During that time though, I have been putting on a new back porch, digging out for a new patio and doing other types of yard work. It is the end of effing May and I have not taken a bike ride yet. Now that porch is done (patio 95% done) I am sore as shit and not in the mood. I miss it. I feel worse when not working out.
G08
Hall of Famer

I feel a million times worse when I'm not working out and I freaking know this but still after a long day of work get home and think meh I'll go tomorrow morning. Then when I'm headed to bed I'm like meh I want to sleep in a little more, I'll go after work lol. Just awful.

LacertineForest
MVP

G08 wrote:I feel a million times worse when I'm not working out and I freaking know this but still after a long day of work get home and think meh I'll go tomorrow morning. Then when I'm headed to bed I'm like meh I want to sleep in a little more, I'll go after work lol. Just awful.
Dealing with this a lot lately, myself - especially because I'm hitting failure on almost every lift (going to deload soon), so I know it would be challenging even at full energy/strength. Now I've put myself into a position where I have to lift tonight because I skipped Wednesday night with the same logic you described above. I guess I'll pop a caffeine pill sometime this afternoon to give me enough energy to carry through to tonight, but it's not going to be fun.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Got down the basement for the first time in 3 weeks. Told myself to just do a few things and ease back into. Did some bench press and some curls. Nothing to hard, just did three circuits of each at a weight easily handled with 10 reps. I have to get walking and riding my bike though. Leaving on vacation this Sunday. Going to the Smokies, hiking may be more troublesome than I think.

All my outdoor projects are finally done (new back porch and patio), that took up way too much of my spring.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Got down the basement for the first time in 3 weeks. Told myself to just do a few things and ease back into. Did some bench press and some curls. Nothing to hard, just did three circuits of each at a weight easily handled with 10 reps. I have to get walking and riding my bike though. Leaving on vacation this Sunday. Going to the Smokies, hiking may be more troublesome than I think.

All my outdoor projects are finally done (new back porch and patio), that took up way too much of my spring.
That's funny, I went Saturday and then today morning and felt pretty good. I'm going to try and get some cardio in tomorrow morning.

Update: And I did! Thought for a solid 8 minutes in bed if I should just sleep for the extra hour, but guilt tripping myself seems to work :lol:

malk
Head Coach

Bumping this back up.

Finding cardio much easier than resistance at the moment. The only weight type stuff I'm managing is push ups to failure every other day or so and chin ups on whatever I can find when I take the kids to the park. I really need to get back into the habit of a proper full body set with the dumbells in the garage...

But more happily, I've found the motivation with running again. Got a nice 5k route from outside the house and am back under 25 minutes for the first time in a long, looong time. Down to 24:15 tonight which I'm pretty happy with. The pipe dream is to run a 20 minute 5k which won't be happening without dropping 10kg but that's no bad thing either.

Heart rate is averaging 169 and max at 197, accelerating into the last 500m hurt!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good job Malk. I do pushups religiously. That is kind of my go to right now. With the rainy spring that interfered with the bike riding. Building up at the moment. Ready to take the long ride which is approx. 20 miles.

You really can't beat pushups. I do variations daily. One day hands in close, next day wider. One day feet elevated. One day do one hand under should and one hand out in front. Just like mixing it up.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Pull ups, push ups, running... That's pretty fucking good. Sure you won't look like the rock, but of consent you're doing good work.

Personally I am going to enter a BJJ competition in Sept. I have lightly trained BJJ, but it was never very technical and more of an mma style. This will be a Gi tournament. So I have to learn and get into shape. Generally I do very well in class but I tire out quick. I only get the opportunity to go once a week if that.

So I have been doing more cardio. Which I hate. Strength wise I have been in a maintenance mode for a while. So to add some grappling strength exercises I have added some sled work. I like to tie a battle rope to a weight sled and then pull it kind of like a rowing machine. Then push it back. Its exhausting and excellent strength applicantions.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I was up to almost 265 before I started back to work. Since working from Mid April till now, I'm hitting 249 on the scale as much as 250+. I've moved roughly 100 tons of stone materials and another 60ish of bricks to do my patios and walkways.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!