49ers, Eagles pursuing Alshon?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@Schultz_Report
Source confirms @JasonLaCanfora report that #Eagles will pursue Alshon Jeffrey. Per source, count #49ers as having strong interest as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Tag his ass

$18
$12
$12
$12

4 years, 54 million. 30 guaranteed.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

it does not surprise me that Alshon will have multiple suitors

and if the Bears find themselves in a bidding war for him, I suspect WR will then need to be something else the team will need to find as I do think he will go to the highest bidder, and that highest bidder will not be the Bears

I hope I'm wrong ... I hope Alshon feels comfortable in Chicago, wants to make it his home, and signs with the Bears for a reasonable amount even if someone does offer more ... but I won't bet on that scenario
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

He'll have bidders, he's a stud WR that was used stupidly here with Hoyer at QB.

There's a reason teams with young franchise QBs want his ass, and guess what? We are in the same boat.

Tag tag tag, you're it.

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

If AJ hadn't been suspended, there'd be no question he'd be getting PAID, right?
G08
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote:If AJ hadn't been suspended, there'd be no question he'd be getting PAID, right?
I don't know... the thing I took away from Pace during his post-mortem presser was that he spoke about how hard Alshon worked and how much he hated losing. I think those were things that Pace was questioning and those concerns were alleviated.

If we let him go, I dunno, they'd better have a better option for a young QB than a shitty/raw/injury-prone Kevin White and ascending-but-is-he-just-lucky Cameron Meredith.

Middleguard
MVP

Even if Alshon walks in and states flat out that he wants out of Chicago, and claims that getting tagged will undoubtedly cause him soft tissue injuries that will linger until the tag wears off at the end of the season, I still believe the Bears should tag him.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Let him walk. Alshon will be out of his prime before this franchise is competing again.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
malk
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote:Even if Alshon walks in and states flat out that he wants out of Chicago, and claims that getting tagged will undoubtedly cause him soft tissue injuries that will linger until the tag wears off at the end of the season, I still believe the Bears should tag him.
Yup, he'd come around. I'm absolutely confident that Jeffery is a very good player but if he doesn't perform next season he'll be three years since a 1000 yard one with a bunch of question marks. That's no way to get a good deal.

The bears have got a bit of leverage here, as long as they don't lowball him I think he'll sign for a reasonable contract for a top end but not top receiver.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

49'ers can have him if they swap #2 for #3 and give us a 4th outright.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
FaithInCutler
MVP

You get better by adding talent, not replacing it. Sign him and move on.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
ysleblanc
MVP

FaithInCutler wrote:You get better by adding talent, not replacing it. Sign him and move on.

Agree, they should have done that last year, but they outsmarted themselves.
ysleblanc
MVP

G08 wrote:He'll have bidders, he's a stud WR that was used stupidly here with Hoyer at QB.

There's a reason teams with young franchise QBs want his ass, and guess what? We are in the same boat.

Tag tag tag, you're it.
Yep, you tag him then make sure you get a long term deal done.
ysleblanc
MVP

malk wrote:
Middleguard wrote:Even if Alshon walks in and states flat out that he wants out of Chicago, and claims that getting tagged will undoubtedly cause him soft tissue injuries that will linger until the tag wears off at the end of the season, I still believe the Bears should tag him.
Yup, he'd come around. I'm absolutely confident that Jeffery is a very good player but if he doesn't perform next season he'll be three years since a 1000 yard one with a bunch of question marks. That's no way to get a good deal.

The bears have got a bit of leverage here, as long as they don't lowball him I think he'll sign for a reasonable contract for a top end but not top receiver.

the only reason he didn't get 1,000 is the 4 game suspension...which is pretty good considering his QB's were Barkley and Hoyer(who did not throw to him).

He will cost a 1st rounder to replace and the Bears can't afford that...very simple.
malk
Head Coach

ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

the only reason he didn't get 1,000 is the 4 game suspension...which is pretty good considering his QB's were Barkley and Hoyer(who did not throw to him).

He will cost a 1st rounder to replace and the Bears can't afford that...very simple.
I want him signed to a long term and think we'll get it done. All I mean is his negotiating position isn't stellar which should help things.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Sign him and get a solid veteran to add to the mix.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Mjiton
Rookie

Can't trade Alshon if he isn't under contract. I am all for over paying him simply because the Bears cant afford to keep losing talent as fast as they gain it. There does come a point when overpaying outweighs the talent.
Just my 2 cents
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

FaithInCutler wrote:You get better by adding talent, not replacing it. Sign him and move on.

Yup. And if a deal can't done, tag him.
Hematite
Player of the Month

What would the Patriots do? That is the question...
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:He'll have bidders, he's a stud WR that was used stupidly here with Hoyer at QB.
And that about sums it up.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Hematite
Player of the Month

http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/Salary-ca ... y-51252590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it better to sign him, even with a young (rookie?) QB or use this money to fill more holes on the entire roster? Would a Pierre Garcon and a defensive FA safety/cb for the price of Alshon be better for the team long term?
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Me personally I'd love to actually see a good player we draft retire a bear. I know it's rare nowadays but it sucks to see them develop then off to another team at forest chance.
sabrtuth
Rookie

I really like Jeffry as our top O weapon but odds are we will lose him for the $$$. I agree with what Hall of Famer posted. Maybe, just maybe, the Bears will get AJ signed!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
ysleblanc wrote:
malk wrote:

I want him signed to a long term and think we'll get it done. All I mean is his negotiating position isn't stellar which should help things.

Why isn't it stellar?

The league is absolutely A WASH in cap space, and there aren't even 10 FA as a whole (let alone WR - Where the list might be Alshon alone) worth spending significant money on.

And if you tag him again he will make 17+

I'm sure there are ways he could have more leverage....but that certainly seems pretty close to "stellar"
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Hematite wrote:http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/Salary-ca ... y-51252590

Is it better to sign him, even with a young (rookie?) QB or use this money to fill more holes on the entire roster? Would a Pierre Garcon and a defensive FA safety/cb for the price of Alshon be better for the team long term?

That's a bit of a false choice though.

We can afford both options.
ysleblanc
MVP

Bottom line, if the Bears let AJ walk, they are setting themselves back a year, whoever the new QB is will more likely struggle with an uncertain WR core and no security blanket, no guarantee they can fill the hole internally, through FA or draft even by 2018.
G08
Hall of Famer

Anyone excited about a WR corps of:

1. Kevin White
2. Cameron Meredith
3. Cordarelle Patterson / Cooper Kupp

?

No? Me neither.

Get Alshon back here, I don't care if it's only on a tag.

Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Anyone excited about a WR corps of:

1. Kevin White
2. Cameron Meredith
3. Cordarelle Patterson / Cooper Kupp

?

No? Me neither.

Get Alshon back here, I don't care if it's only on a tag.
Any group of wide receivers where Kevin White is the #1 is an immediate LOL
G08
Hall of Famer

1. Alshon Jeffery
2. Kevin White
3. Cameron Meredith
4. Kendall Wright / Josh Bellamy
5. Daniel Braverman

That works for me. Zach Miller at TE and draft Jake Butt or Jeremy Sprinkle and we're looking alright.