Bears to sign QB Mike Glennon: 3 yr, $14.5M per

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

britbear
Player of the Month

I'm willing to give Glennon a chance, seeing as he has been anointed our starter. The highlights posted on the Bears app look pretty impressive, but then again highlights always do. That's why they're not called lowlights. I'll grant you, he does have some skills.

What I still don't get is that he is not the program-elevating QB that Pace said he was after. You really cannot say he did that in Tampa, not if he was supplanted by McCown and then Winston. Forget that the Bucs offered him the best backup salary in the league. So where is that QB? Is it Watson at #3? Or will they pick Lattimore then? Is that QB still in college and will the Bears pick him in the 2018 draft?
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
UOK
Site Admin

britbear wrote:I'm willing to give Glennon a chance, seeing as he has been anointed our starter. The highlights posted on the Bears app look pretty impressive, but then again highlights always do. That's why they're not called lowlights. I'll grant you, he does have some skills.

What I still don't get is that he is not the program-elevating QB that Pace said he was after. You really cannot say he did that in Tampa, not if he was supplanted by McCown and then Winston. Forget that the Bucs offered him the best backup salary in the league. So where is that QB? Is it Watson at #3? Or will they pick Lattimore then? Is that QB still in college and will the Bears pick him in the 2018 draft?
Like I said in another thread, we all need to stop listening to what Ryan Pace says in press conferences. None of it means anything. He just says stuff.
Bulldog Turner
Rookie

britbear wrote:I'm willing to give Glennon a chance, seeing as he has been anointed our starter. The highlights posted on the Bears app look pretty impressive, but then again highlights always do. That's why they're not called lowlights. I'll grant you, he does have some skills.

Glennon could be good! He was on a really bad team as a rookie, and really didn't play badly all things considered. I think some people are just turned off because he is kind of goofy looking. I think Bears fans could be surprised by him. He was a player scouts thought of as more of a developmental prospect.
G08
Hall of Famer

Glennon offers the gift of potential. We don't know how much -- if at all -- he has grown in the past 2 seasons when he hasn't been playing. Maybe he's gotten better moving in the pocket, throwing on the run, etc.

I like that he's been studying the NFL game for the past 2 years and preparing like he was still a starter. We'll see how it translates. I'm not holding my breath, though.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Glennon offers the gift of potential. We don't know how much -- if at all -- he has grown in the past 2 seasons when he hasn't been playing. Maybe he's gotten better moving in the pocket, throwing on the run, etc.

I like that he's been studying the NFL game for the past 2 years and preparing like he was still a starter. We'll see how it translates. I'm not holding my breath, though.
It's a bad deal for the ultimate goal of winning a championship but hopefully it puts us back in the playoff mix soon. Bar for being fucked at receiver I still think we could be ok if he's competent. 5T is now the only place where we're missing at least a replacement level player (sorry Unrein) unless Bullard gets a lot better very quickly.

Actually, that's assuming Fuller gets any burn, Porter is now below replacement level. We absolutely have to hit in the draft though, we're crying out for difference makers.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Funkster
MVP

We as fans don't have much to complain about with the signing of Glennon. If you look at the names of available QB's, he could offer the most up side. Pace inked him to a very bears friendly contract. I believe he enticed the deal with guaranteeing him with the starting job. This puts the pressure directly on the 9ft shoulders of Glennon to either perform or get cut. I believe the bears will draft a QB in this draft, probably Kaaya and stack the defense with early picks.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
docc
Head Coach

May I be the first..
MoFugger
Head Coach

docc wrote:May I be the first..
:lol:

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Bears_40
Player of the Month

Outstanding!

I stand alone.

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bears_40 and 0 guests
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

As I see it, Mike Glennon is a much better version of Matt Barkley. There are no really good options in FA to upgrade our QB position for the long term. Glennon is a great age, does have some starting experience and should be ready to give his best effort. And indications are that he's a great person who's well liked in the locker room. Some things to like with Mike Glennon. But in the end, it's a tryout. And if he does well in year 1, he'll come back the next year and maybe we'll forge a long term relationship. If not, good luck and happy trails.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
UOK
Site Admin

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Image
Is he officially Mike "Sloth Hand" Glennon now?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Tupac draws on as well.
UOK
Site Admin

This is so depressing.

wab
Mod

UOK wrote:This is so depressing.

I keep reading stuff about him that makes me want to not hate him, but I still hate him.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

I keep reading stuff about him that makes me want to not hate him, but I still hate him.
That's harsh man! I mean... I get it, you don't like the signing. I'm not the biggest fan either. But there's every indication that he's a good guy. Breathe in... Breathe out. :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mr.Irrelevant
Player of the Month

G08 wrote:Glennon offers the gift of potential. We don't know how much -- if at all -- he has grown in the past 2 seasons when he hasn't been playing. Maybe he's gotten better moving in the pocket, throwing on the run, etc.

Well said.

I actually wanted him as a developmental guy for the bears back in 2013, but I was hoping to get him in the 4th or 5th round. Hopefully he has improved to the point where he can be a solid game manager going forward, which is better than we've had around here for awhile. That would also make his contract very reasonable.
Adipost
MVP

Holy shit!!! That looks awful.
Funkster
MVP

This poor guy has no chance around here!
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:This poor guy has no chance around here!
He starts winning, people will come around. If he wins I'll take it all back like Mouth at the bottom of the wishing well.

Until then...he's garbage.
Bulldog Turner
Rookie

People are so negative. He's a good kid, and he wasn't terrible when he played. People act like he was a disaster, but as a rookie on a bad team he held his own! Then he got screwed by Lovie who doesn't exactly have a glowing track record in QB evaluation.

I personally think fans are going to be surprised by him, but I feel like there's nothing to be gained by being negative about him. At least give him a chance and maybe even support him as a fan base? At least he's not Cutler.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mike Glennon smokes Virginia Slims
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrombone wrote:
Mike Glennon smokes Virginia Slims
I figured it would be a cigarillo or an old school pipe.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
He starts winning, people will come around. If he wins I'll take it all back like Mouth at the bottom of the wishing well.

Now that's the spirit! (I think.) :)

Hematite
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote:
wab wrote:

Now that's the spirit! (I think.) :)
Goonies connection....Love it!
Middleguard
MVP

I know he has a giraffe's neck, still, it's amazing that he can be so tall since he has no feet. Think back on the statues you've known. How many, once they'd thrown 30 TD passes, still had no rushing TD? How many, once they'd passed for over 4000 yards, still had less than 100 yards rushing?
Nanky
Journeyman

Peyton Manning only ran for over 100 yards in a year 3 times. He also had 9 years with no rushing TD.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Middleguard wrote:I know he has a giraffe's neck, still, it's amazing that he can be so tall since he has no feet. Think back on the statues you've known. How many, once they'd thrown 30 TD passes, still had no rushing TD? How many, once they'd passed for over 4000 yards, still had less than 100 yards rushing?
Who really cares if he had rushing TDs, he has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. He has weapons he will get the ball to and that's all that really matters because this isn't 1932 and we aren't running the wishbone.
Middleguard
MVP

Nanky wrote:Peyton Manning only ran for over 100 yards in a year 3 times. He also had 9 years with no rushing TD.
Thanks.

I believe Manning threw 30 TD passes before he scored one himself, and I believe he threw for 4000 yards before he gained 100 for himself.

But here's the really weird thing about this comparison (which is unfortunately the only one anyone will ever make):
PM averaged 29.94 TDs passing per TD rushing and 3997 yards per rushing TD. So, so very creepily close.
Middleguard
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
Middleguard wrote:I know he has a giraffe's neck, still, it's amazing that he can be so tall since he has no feet. Think back on the statues you've known. How many, once they'd thrown 30 TD passes, still had no rushing TD? How many, once they'd passed for over 4000 yards, still had less than 100 yards rushing?
Who really cares if he had rushing TDs, he has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. He has weapons he will get the ball to and that's all that really matters because this isn't 1932 and we aren't running the wishbone.
I do not think you are correct in dismissing mobility in today's NFL.