The "I've seen enough, start Trubisky" Thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

KOP_Snake
Head Coach

If we still had Cutler I'd be saying "wait a minute guys not so fast"... but we have Mike Glennon so fuck it put Trubisky in.
Adipost
MVP

KOP_Snake wrote:If we still had Cutler I'd be saying "wait a minute guys not so fast"... but we have Mike Glennon so fuck it put Trubisky in.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Nice analysis done by adipost

I will say that scrambling QB's are far more likely to get injured than those that stay in the pocket but Trubisky looked thrilling to watch
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:I was bullshitting with someone and he brought up an interesting point... what do we gain from winning a game or two with Glennon? Isn't the best approach to put Trubisky out there, let him learn on the job (while hopefully winning some games)? We aren't a Super Bowl team... losses with Trubisky developing will hurt less (and get me a better draft pick, which is a highly debated subject).

I was completely on the "sit Trubisky until week 11" train but shit man... if he's looking good and Glennon shits the bed early on in the season, I might start him week 6 (@Ravens, vs Panthers, @Saints, BYE WEEK, vs Packers).
The answer to this question should depend on the state of the offense. If the OL is playing like it played with Glennon in the first PS game, absolutely positively leave Trubisky on the bench. I'd say that playing Trubisky this year should depend on three factors in order of importance...
1. The OL needs to be playing reasonably well.
2. The running game needs to be decent and reliable.
3. He needs to have a go to receiver.

Sending him out there with a bad OL is a prescription for disaster. He'll develop bad habits and his confidence could be crushed. I'd much rather Mike Glennon get destroyed by a poor OL than Mitch Trubisky. Having #1 should yield #2. You can't send a rookie out there in an offense that has to pass an inordinant amount to have a chance of succeeding. Balance is HUGE for a rookie QB. And finally, it really helps if he had a reliable target. I'm thinking it would be Zach Miller and the TE group, because I don't see reliability in any of the other WRs vs. #1 and #2 CBs.

The above argument doesn't acknowledge that QBs are DESTROYED by throwing them out there too early. But it happens. Way too often.
I agree with this ALL DAY LONG. You just drafted, who you think will be, the face of the franchise for the next 12 years. Your #1 goal right now is to set him up for success, and NOT to listen to meatheads like us. Mitch needs AT LEAST 8-12 games on the sidelines before you would ever think of putting him in. MikeFive is absolutely right. If the OL sucks this year, sit Trubisky until 2018.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote:Yep, what good could it do to have Trubisky sit behind Marquise Willi-

Erp.
oh man, if we sit trubisky for the majority of his nfl career, think of how good he'll be when he joins atkins & rebel's rec league! i'm salivating!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Rich Campbell‏@Rich_Campbell Aug 10
I think it's fair to say Trubisky was better tonight than he has been in any practice we've watched. Turns out dude's a gamer.

This is why I'm not worried about mitch starting this season. For every aarron rodgers who sat for awhile, there's a roethlisberger, wilson, matt ryan, stafford, prescott, carr, luck, manning etc who's been thrown in the fire and done very well.
Mikefive wrote:
I was completely on the "sit Trubisky until week 11" train but shit man... if he's looking good and Glennon shits the bed early on in the season, I might start him week 6 (@Ravens, vs Panthers, @Saints, BYE WEEK, vs Packers).
The answer to this question should depend on the state of the offense. If the OL is playing like it played with Glennon in the first PS game, absolutely positively leave Trubisky on the bench. I'd say that playing Trubisky this year should depend on three factors in order of importance...

Sending him out there with a bad OL is a prescription for disaster. [/quote]

Here's the thing; we do have an above average OL, and we do have an above average running game. we may not have a true #1 WR, but it's not the complete group of scrubs that people make it out to be. We have very good TE's as well.

Actually most importantly, we have an OC who is going to play to mitch's strengths instead of some mike martz motherfucker pushing a square peg into a round hole.

Mitch is a fuckin gamer. He needs reps against real NFL defenses, he doesnt need to be leading the scout team. Dowell will slowly bring him along each week adding new concepts as we go. Mike Glennon will cry himself to sleep every night on a large pile of money and maybe eke out a career as the next ryan fitzpatrick.

It's basically rex vs orton all over again and it's time to unleash the dragon.
Funkster
MVP

ramentaschen wrote:Nice analysis done by adipost

I will say that scrambling QB's are far more likely to get injured than those that stay in the pocket but Trubisky looked thrilling to watch
I agree, however I don't see Trubisky as a scrambler. He wants to throw first, he keeps his eyes down field. They methodical moved the pocket to create space. He has the ability to run but from what I've seen, he uses his legs as a last resort and I'm 100fine with that.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
karhu wrote:Yep, what good could it do to have Trubisky sit behind Marquise Willi-

Erp.
oh man, if we sit trubisky for the majority of his nfl career, think of how good he'll be when he joins atkins & rebel's rec league! i'm salivating!
:flick:
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

in all honesty, I would rather Glennon play well and have a good situation on our hands.

If Glennon can't get the offense going in preseason, and shits the bed in first few games of season... I think that's the way it will play out if we see Trub in there (provided he continues to progress well). The kid is a gamer and it shows, mentally and physically he has the tools. As much as I would like to see him in there, I have no problems with him sitting for the right time to go in. We waited this long as fans, we can handle waiting halfway through the season when it's crystal clear that Glennon sucks. Then there are absolutely no doubts and Trub will be there in for good.
Middleguard
MVP

I disagree with the contention that Trubisky should be started immediately because he plays better "for real" than "in camp." He played better in his first preseason game because Loggains designed plays to make him look good, including lots of shotgun snaps, rollouts, and at least one play that he ran in college; and not plays that could survive a season's worth of scrutiny. By contrast, in camp, he's being taught concepts that Loggains believes will work all season.

I'm not suggesting that Wentz has been set back in the least by starting last year. It's impossible to know because there are no reset/undo buttons for a QB's development. But he rated 104 in his first 4 games when there was little tape on him (and the playbook was probably reduced and tailored for his strengths), and only 72 in his last 12 games when he was better known. [And I realize he was playing against mostly inferior competition (including the Bears) in those first 4 games , but his best game of the year was in there against the Steelers.]
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Rich Campbell‏@Rich_Campbell Aug 10
I think it's fair to say Trubisky was better tonight than he has been in any practice we've watched. Turns out dude's a gamer.

This is why I'm not worried about mitch starting this season. For every aarron rodgers who sat for awhile, there's a roethlisberger, wilson, matt ryan, stafford, prescott, carr, luck, manning etc who's been thrown in the fire and done very well.
Mikefive wrote:

Sending him out there with a bad OL is a prescription for disaster.

Here's the thing; we do have an above average OL, and we do have an above average running game. we may not have a true #1 WR, but it's not the complete group of scrubs that people make it out to be. We have very good TE's as well.

Actually most importantly, we have an OC who is going to play to mitch's strengths instead of some mike martz motherfucker pushing a square peg into a round hole.

Mitch is a fuckin gamer. He needs reps against real NFL defenses, he doesnt need to be leading the scout team. Dowell will slowly bring him along each week adding new concepts as we go. Mike Glennon will cry himself to sleep every night on a large pile of money and maybe eke out a career as the next ryan fitzpatrick.

It's basically rex vs orton all over again and it's time to unleash the dragon.[/quote]

I beg to differ on your first point. There are many more QBs who have been destroyed by throwing them out there right away. One of them named Carr, ironically. And let's remember what EVERYONE said about this draft... That there's no Peyton Mannings or Andrew Lucks. So those on your "started right away and did fine" list who came out with resumes like those guys, you should eliminate from your list as it's not a fair comparison.

In your second point, you say our running game and OL are good. Really? Is that what you saw when Mike Glennon was playing? I sure didn't. Last year was last year. Now is now. We need to assess based on what's happening today, not some other time. Now maybe they'll get it together and that stuff will come around when Kyle Long returns. That would be great. But we need to see it before we decide that's what we have.

Here's the thing... There's a point where Trubisky's degree of development in concert with the quality of the team around him makes it a winning proposition to play him. If you play him before that time, you will retard his development or damage him to the point of destroying his career. But if you play him after he's already been ready for some time, then you haven't lost anything long term, just development time. Do you think the Packers are kicking themselves for not playing Rodgers sooner? For me, I err on the side of caution and playing Biscuit when I feel comfortable that I'm not damaging him. He's a long term investment. And I'm looking through that lens when I'm deciding when to play him.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Trubisky did improve sitting on the sidelines at North Carolina to the degree his only college season made him a top draft pick.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Trubisky did improve sitting on the sidelines at North Carolina to the degree his only college season made him a top draft pick.
but our bears guys were saying when he was drafted that if he had been playing for 3 years he'd most definitely have been the number one pick. it was fox or pace or someone high up.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Has Bears rookie Mitch Trubisky arrived earlier than expected?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i thought this was good
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Mitch had a poor day at practice yesterday gents.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Mitch had a poor day at practice yesterday gents.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Trubisky did improve sitting on the sidelines at North Carolina to the degree his only college season made him a top draft pick.
but our bears guys were saying when he was drafted that if he had been playing for 3 years he'd most definitely have been the number one pick. it was fox or pace or someone high up.
That's a hypothetical... a guess. But even if it's true, the fact is that he DIDN'T start for 3 years. He started 13 games. And that matters a lot when it comes to judging how ready he is to start at the NFL level.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
That's a hypothetical... a guess. But even if it's true, the fact is that he DIDN'T start for 3 years. He started 13 games. And that matters a lot when it comes to judging how ready he is to start at the NFL level.
yeah, but you cant say he "improved on the bench" but then turn around and say he isnt good enough to start now because he sat on the bench. amirite.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:Has Bears rookie Mitch Trubisky arrived earlier than expected?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i thought this was good
Good stuff.
Adipost
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:

Erp.
Your signature has me laughing uncontrollably.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i dont remember who it's from. saw it on twitter awhile ago and saved it, and it feels like a pure distillation of this season to come.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
yeah, but you cant say he "improved on the bench" but then turn around and say he isnt good enough to start now because he sat on the bench. amirite.
No. "Improved over Freshman Trubisky" is not equal to "is a QB who is prepared to start right away like Peyton Manning". And thanks for making my point as admitting that he can improve while sitting on the bench adds to my argument.

Rusty... I appreciate you and your passion. But we need to give this one up for now until we have more information. :)
Last edited by Mikefive on Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mike i'm worried you've never been right about anything in your entire life.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:mike i'm worried you've never been right about anything in your entire life.
You mean like past threads where I agreed with you? :evilgrin:

Dude... Your emotions are getting the better of you now. How about we take a chill pill on this one until after preseason game #2? :)

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:mike i'm worried you've never been right about anything in your entire life.
You mean like past threads where I agreed with you? :evilgrin:

Dude... Your emotions are getting the better of you now. How about we take a chill pill on this one until after preseason game #2? :)
i'm just fucking around. i know there's value in him sitting. but we're talking about my instant gratification here, which if i'm being honest, is much more important. :)

i actually think, despite whatever happens in training camp and the preseason, that fox and pace wouldnt dream of sticking it to glennon by starting trubisky. this is glennon's world and we're all just living in it. *points to gif below me*
UOK
Site Admin

AdamHoge
Ryan Pace: "Mike (Glennon) is our starter and we’re rolling that way, but, hey, having competition (at) all positions is important."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:AdamHoge
Ryan Pace: "Mike (Glennon) is our starter and we’re rolling that way, but, hey, having competition (at) all positions is important."

that "competition is good" mantra is why I want to see Trubisky get a start with the first teamers in the preseason

and while sitting Trubisky in the regular season may be a good option for his learning curve, if he outplays Glennon why shouldn't he start? Aikman started as a rookie, got pounded, lost a lot of games, and turned into a damn fine QB ... Manning started as a rookie, got pounded, lost a lot of games, and turned into a damn fine QB ... and you can make an argument for both sides of this sit him/start him coin

we need to see him with the 1's, playing against the 1's, to really know for sure ... and I hope that happens
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Feeding a player, especially a QB, to the wolves may work occasionally. However I believe it often stunts their growth. I think this can be understood in a lot of facets in life. When your new at something and you misstep it's always in the back of your mind. Until it's second nature.

Example first time you got rejected going to second base. You probably hesitated and waited around on first longer next time. The hesitating due to back of the mind thoughts for an NFL quarterback can compound those issues.

Now of course eventually you have to cut your teeth and go for it. However learning from a position out of the pressure surely has it's positives, and little negatives.

My opinion sometimes abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. Laugh.
G08
Hall of Famer

Trubisky said in his presser today that the game was easier than practice since he was more familiar with the calls and the defenses were pretty basic. He said he still struggles a bit in practice and says he has a lot of work to do.

Can't start him before week 5, IMO.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:AdamHoge

that "competition is good" mantra is why I want to see Trubisky get a start with the first teamers in the preseason

and while sitting Trubisky in the regular season may be a good option for his learning curve, if he outplays Glennon why shouldn't he start? Aikman started as a rookie, got pounded, lost a lot of games, and turned into a damn fine QB ... Manning started as a rookie, got pounded, lost a lot of games, and turned into a damn fine QB ... and you can make an argument for both sides of this sit him/start him coin

we need to see him with the 1's, playing against the 1's, to really know for sure ... and I hope that happens
I think he will be ready when he is ready. Between him and the coaches will have a feel of it, when the time comes. More than less, once he shows himself comfortable with the entire playbook ect in practice ... also, when Glennon shits the bed in the first 3 games. The move will be made. That's my prediction and I have $100 on the Bears in Vegas to back that up.