What's your view of the state of the Bears right now?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:I think this is a 4-6 win team with Glennon and a 6-8 win team with Biscuit...leaning more towards the 8 win mark.
So where do we need to get better in order to go from rubbish team to playoffs?

QB obviously and hopefully that's Trubisky.
RBs are playoff calibre.
O-line is just about playoff calibre, definitely with Long.
TEs are ok, maybe bottom tier playoff.
Wideouts are not (though one number 1 would make a world of difference).

The front 7 looks very good with a chance of being great (Floyd and Goldman kicking on) and that's not including McPhee.
DBs are a weak spot but still unproven either way.

I just don't see why it's so obvious that we're going to be rubbish and only squeak out wins against poor teams. There are a lot of average QBs so even Glennon isn't a death sentence. If we weren't in such a brutal division I think we'd have a shot right now.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
wab wrote:I think this is a 4-6 win team with Glennon and a 6-8 win team with Biscuit...leaning more towards the 8 win mark.
So where do we need to get better in order to go from rubbish team to playoffs?

QB obviously and hopefully that's Trubisky.
RBs are playoff calibre.
O-line is just about playoff calibre, definitely with Long.
TEs are ok, maybe bottom tier playoff.
Wideouts are not (though one number 1 would make a world of difference).

The front 7 looks very good with a chance of being great (Floyd and Goldman kicking on) and that's not including McPhee.
DBs are a weak spot but still unproven either way.

I just don't see why it's so obvious that we're going to be rubbish and only squeak out wins against poor teams. There are a lot of average QBs so even Glennon isn't a death sentence. If we weren't in such a brutal division I think we'd have a shot right now.
I think you have to take into account health for this franchise as well. There are always injuries and to key players. Hell, anymore I count on them.

I don't think the OL is near playoff caliber, Long or not. The Bear tackles are below avg in my book.

While I think the front 7 is very good, we lost Freeman today for awhile and I would bet another one of the front 7 will go down soon.

I just do not see the top end talent that can perform/stay on the field consistently.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Only 13 winning seasons in the last 32 years. Enough said.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Our defense needs to play a lot better for me to consider promoting Fangio. Not sure why that guy keeps getting a free pass? I know he has a sterling reputation, but I haven't seen us play disciplined defense since he got here. Dumb penalties still abound, poor execution on 3rd downs, no turnovers, etc.

I loved me some Vic Fangio, but have soured on him now. I'm ready for a complete coaching overhaul.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Only 13 winning seasons in the last 32 years. Enough said.
That's actually only about 1 below average.

You've got to be able to find something better than that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No, I don't have to do better. I am tired of the losing, they have had losing seasons the majority of my lifetime and most have been embarrassing seasons. I have been a fan for approximately 48 yrs and I am not satisfied with this organization. I guess I hold my team to a higher standard than some. I will not compare them to the Lions or the Browns (who they seem to becoming) If you are satisfied with your team being avg that is your deal. Green Bay has 22 winning seasons in that same time span, so hardly avg. Minny has 17.

Again if you don't expect, that is on you.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

back to the original question :
What's your view of the state of the Bears right now?
I will revise my previously more optimistic response and simply say the view of the Bears is akin to the view of a heavily used and unflushed toilet
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:No, I don't have to do better. I am tired of the losing, they have had losing seasons the majority of my lifetime and most have been embarrassing seasons. I have been a fan for approximately 48 yrs and I am not satisfied with this organization. I guess I hold my team to a higher standard than some. I will not compare them to the Lions or the Browns (who they seem to becoming) If you are satisfied with your team being avg that is your deal. Green Bay has 22 winning seasons in that same time span, so hardly avg. Minny has 17.

Again if you don't expect, that is on you.
I mean, I guess I have to ask what you expected this season? Non of this is really a surprise is it? Is it just that the Bears being bad is now visible instead of an assumption that they'd be bad. 5 wins was generous for this team.

Why now is everyone up in arms about the team when we've all been saying this since March? I mean I get it, I'm frustrated too...because Mike Glennon is EXACTLY what I said he'd be, and he (among other things) is holding this team back from developing.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was expected, I predicted 5 wins, but having to watch this shit over and over again just pisses me off. I am pissed that I get so pissed at the Bears. I think I am up in arms because, maybe, it didn't have to be this bad. IMO, no reason to sign Glennon when you had avg to below avg QBs on the roster already. Bring in a new shiny toy (Trubs) and it is left in the toy box. There is really no reason to watch at the moment.

As far as developing, this team is years away and that is frustrating as well. It seems as if the Bears are always years away, constantly rebuilding due to poor hires, poor drafts. It would be nice to get back to being a consistent winner.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:It was expected, I predicted 5 wins, but having to watch this shit over and over again just pisses me off. I am pissed that I get so pissed at the Bears. I think I am up in arms because, maybe, it didn't have to be this bad. IMO, no reason to sign Glennon when you had avg to below avg QBs on the roster already. Bring in a new shiny toy (Trubs) and it is left in the toy box. There is really no reason to watch at the moment.
I was more optimistic in my predicted wins, but that is predicated on Trubisky starting at least the last 7 games

Otis Day wrote:As far as developing, this team is years away and that is frustrating as well. It seems as if the Bears are always years away, constantly rebuilding due to poor hires, poor drafts. It would be nice to get back to being a consistent winner.
so you want the Bears to return to the 20's and 30's eh? not a bad idea ... not sure the leather helmets would carry over to today though
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:It was expected, I predicted 5 wins, but having to watch this shit over and over again just pisses me off. I am pissed that I get so pissed at the Bears. I think I am up in arms because, maybe, it didn't have to be this bad. IMO, no reason to sign Glennon when you had avg to below avg QBs on the roster already. Bring in a new shiny toy (Trubs) and it is left in the toy box. There is really no reason to watch at the moment.

As far as developing, this team is years away and that is frustrating as well. It seems as if the Bears are always years away, constantly rebuilding due to poor hires, poor drafts.
I agree that it's worse when the things you are frustrated about actually come to fruition before your eyes on live television. I think we all "know" what's going to happen, but we begin to hope against hope as soon as the ball is kicked off every Sunday.
Otis Day wrote:It would be nice to get back to being a consistent winner.
I mean, aside from the 80's and a few of the Lovie years, the Bears haven't really been consistent winners.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I’m a Bears fan.

The optimist in me always has hope the Bears will do well.

The pessimist in me wants to kill the optimist.

The optimist suspects the pessimist won’t succeed.

The pessimist fears the optimist is right.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

hell, I'll always be a Bear fan, until my dementia kiskx back in
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
docc
Head Coach