The Useless Hobby Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

YOGABBA
Rookie

Any of you dudes have a ridiculous hobby that just drains your bank account? Like you know you're basically just placing cash directly into the trash as you're doing it. The more embarrassing, the better.

I have an unhealthy fascination with zippo lighters. I do not nor have I ever been a smoker. There is absolutely nothing I need a lighter for. Yet I keep buying these incredibly expensive pieces of shit. And there are literally thousands of different kinds, so it's a never ending battle in futility. :(

UOK
Site Admin

I own one Zippo and love it. It's a strangely satisfying thing to mess about with. I bring it camping a few times a year, but that's about it. Cool thing to collect, though.

My thing is mechanical keyboards. I've probably dropped $5-600+ on mechs the last few years, sold most of them. I'm down to owning only 4, 2 of which are in a closet and likely won't be used again. It's a very dumb hobby, but I dig it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:Any of you dudes have a ridiculous hobby that just drains your bank account? Like you know you're basically just placing cash directly into the trash as you're doing it. The more embarrassing, the better.
the immediate one that comes to mind is being a Bears fan

* I spend 3 hours every Sunday (or whenever else they are playing) to watch and hope
* I buy team and player oriented merchandise
* I buy tickets to games on occasion
* my return on this investment of time and $$$ can be summed up by the Rolling Stones - "Can't get no satisfaction ....", which would certainly indicate I have been throwing my money straight into the trash

and since 1987, being a Bears fan does carry embarrassment and / or shame along with it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:I own one Zippo and love it. It's a strangely satisfying thing to mess about with. I bring it camping a few times a year, but that's about it. Cool thing to collect, though.

My thing is mechanical keyboards. I've probably dropped $5-600+ on mechs the last few years, sold most of them. I'm down to owning only 4, 2 of which are in a closet and likely won't be used again. It's a very dumb hobby, but I dig it.
I do like a mechanical keyboard but baulk at the prices when I've seen piles of model Ms binned in my time :( Maybe I'll splash out on a Das Keyboard when I own a house and get a desktop again.

For someone who isn't genuinely good at skiing I probably shouldn't own three pairs and hanker for more. I've already got two pairs of Whitedots to go with my old battleship, heavy metal Heads but I really want these Whitedot Preacher.

I do like nice things, and reading about them. My minirig speakers (amazing portable speakers) and the debuyer pans I'm seasoning. Pretty much a total convert to buy once, buy quality.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
YOGABBA wrote:Any of you dudes have a ridiculous hobby that just drains your bank account? Like you know you're basically just placing cash directly into the trash as you're doing it. The more embarrassing, the better.
the immediate one that comes to mind is being a Bears fan

* I spend 3 hours every Sunday (or whenever else they are playing) to watch and hope
* I buy team and player oriented merchandise
* I buy tickets to games on occasion
* my return on this investment of time and $$$ can be summed up by the Rolling Stones - "Can't get no satisfaction ....", which would certainly indicate I have been throwing my money straight into the trash

and since 1987, being a Bears fan does carry embarrassment and / or shame along with it
:clap: Thank Boris, never even thought about it, but so true.

I have started pittling around in my garage make 3'x5' American flags of pallets and old fence. They are rustic looking, not red, white and blue. They have an aged look. I also make wine bottle holders and other shit, but am not real pushy about selling the shit. Now my garage is getting full and I have to make room to park the vehicle. :frustrated:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

On to making a 6' x 8' sign for my sister in law and her upstart produce company she is starting this spring. Again, rustic and aged looking. Problem is, no heat in the garage so the painting of it may have to wait quite a while now.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

I buy more books than I can possibly read, it has morphed over the years into a book collection.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

staleystarch wrote:I buy more books than I can possibly read, it has morphed over the years into a book collection.
me too
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
malk
Head Coach

pus wrote:
staleystarch wrote:I buy more books than I can possibly read, it has morphed over the years into a book collection.
me too
I love my growing library bar for not having any space of my own to store them in (yay rentals). It does seem a bit silly as the vast majority of my reading is done from ebooks, normally on my phone but still, one day I'll have a study and bookcases to fill...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)