So Deonte Thompson can play, just not for the Bears??

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

donkeykong
Player of the Month

So how does Buffalo need a receiver badly due to injuries on a depleted WR corp...and they get one from Chicago?!?!

How does that actually happen?! Then he puts up 100+ receiving yards in his first game with his new team! This team never ceases to amaze me with their decisions.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

donkeykong wrote:So how does Buffalo need a receiver badly due to injuries on a depleted WR corp...and they get one from Chicago?!?!

How does that actually happen?! Then he puts up 100+ receiving yards in his first game with his new team! This team never ceases to amaze me with their decisions.
WTF!! I had no idea that they cut Thompson. He seemed to gather a decent rapport with Biscuits in the preseason. So on a team, desperate for a warm body at WR, cut a mediocre player that runs off and has a 100yd day with another team?

Sounds like the Bears.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I thought he would be on the team. For some reason he seemed to be in Fox's dog house.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hey, no one gets to say that deonte thompson is good after saying for the last half season that he's shit. (if i'm moriarty this is where i dig up saying that our wr's weren't complete shit)

Deonte, like Bellamy's problem wasnt that he was horrible, it was that he was inconsistent. His saving grace that kept him on the roster was his return ability, which as time wore on was obviously "run real fast into the tacklers" which is only worth so much.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Anyone else notice we’ve had, like, 3 kick return yards since Deonte got cut?

Don’t worry tho. We’re still giving millions of dollars to Markus Wheaton....
UOK
Site Admin

alexwilkins wrote:Anyone else notice we’ve had, like, 3 kick return yards since Deonte got cut?

Don’t worry tho. We’re still giving millions of dollars to Markus Wheaton....
Kickoffs are a dead medium, really, and as long as the Bears returners aren't making stupid decisions with their returns, it's not something I really worry about. I'm more concerned with special teams avoiding penalties, making sound tackles, and not letting punts and kicks be blocked.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

RustyTrubisky wrote:Hey, no one gets to say that deonte thompson is good after saying for the last half season that he's shit. (if i'm moriarty this is where i dig up saying that our wr's weren't complete shit)

Deonte, like Bellamy's problem wasnt that he was horrible, it was that he was inconsistent. His saving grace that kept him on the roster was his return ability, which as time wore on was obviously "run real fast into the tacklers" which is only worth so much.
Well I for one never had anything negative to say about him. I can’t believe that we have had a WR put up 100 yards in a game this season, I don’t know who would have done it if I’m wrong, but it couldn’t have been more than once. I just find it interesting how we have what some apparently call a “s**t” WR that’s cut and IMMEDIATELY starts producing for another team that is by no means an Offensive juggernaut. He didn’t go to the Saints where he had the benefit of Brees passing 50 times a game. He went to the Bills and put up 100 yards in his first game on his new team. There has to be more than luck involved there. So what is it? How does a team like the Bills say...”My God, we’re decimated by injuries to our receiving Corp, we NEED somebody, NOW!!! Oh good The Bears who don’t have any WR’s either just let one go, we’ll plug him in for a quick 100+ yards this Sunday”!

Like how does that even come about?!
Bad Flanders
MVP

They played Tampa Bay, who he already faced once this year with us AND who has the 31st ranked pass defense in the league.

When they let him go in favor of keeping Bellamy and promoting Gentry, I figured he had to be hurt somehow, but maybe it was a doghouse thing, maybe it was butthurt over something.

Anyway, yes - weird that they dropped any WR who is obviously capable at SOME level (even inconsistently so) and, on the other hand, I'd about crap a brick if this doesn't turn out to be Thompson's career high game when it's all said and done, so no real harm.
docc
Head Coach

The Bills are a better team at this point..
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:Hey, no one gets to say that deonte thompson is good after saying for the last half season that he's shit.
I believe I called him the best WR on this team after the White injury.
UOK
Site Admin

Apparently Thompson has ties to Tyrod Taylor going back to High School, so that could be one part of it. The other thing is that Thompson was getting a fresh start and that wakes something up on occasion for athletes.

I don't feel bad at all about releasing him. He was unreliable and mediocre.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was just a question of which unreliable, mediocre WR you were gonna release. Deonta must have lost the coin flip.
wab
Mod

Also two catches made up the majority of his yards...so it wasn't like he was just destroying the defense all day.

The Bears didn't just release Jerry Rice.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Also two catches made up the majority of his yards...so it wasn't like he was just destroying the defense all day.

We're not looking for Jerry Rice WAB. We're looking for a receiver that can run a route and catch a ball. That's it. Personally I think he was an average receiver, which is better than 80% of our current roster.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
wab wrote:Also two catches made up the majority of his yards...so it wasn't like he was just destroying the defense all day.

We're not looking for Jerry Rice WAB. We're looking for a receiver that can run a route and catch a ball. That's it. Personally I think he was an average receiver, which is better than 80% of our current roster.
He's been cut how many times? I get that it's frustrating to see a player the Bears just had go out and have a nice day when the Bears are struggling to find guys to catch the ball. But they aren't throwing to WR's anyway.

I think Wright is infinitely better than Thompson, and I don't understand why he's not been more involved.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:

He's been cut how many times? I get that it's frustrating to see a player the Bears just had go out and have a nice day when the Bears are struggling to find guys to catch the ball. But they aren't throwing to WR's anyway.

I think Wright is infinitely better than Thompson, and I don't understand why he's not been more involved.
Loggains think he's at his best playing something like 18-25 snaps per game.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Even at age 55 Jerry Rice is probably still better than any of our WRs!

Yesterday I asked Torry Holt if he'd come out of retirement and play for the Bears. Unfortunately he just laughed. :(
donkeykong
Player of the Month

Nobody said “why did the Bears release a Pro-Bowl receiver”. We currently have, apparently, nothing on the roster and what we did have wasn’t good enough for a roster spot...but is good enough for a roster spot on another team and immediately produced. I’m not expecting this production from him in a weekly basis, but come on! We also don’t have any type of deep threat, so two of those plays must have been over 25 yards then...we also don’t have anybody outside of a RB doing that either, that would also be nice production to have.

It just doesn’t make sense, that’s all I was saying.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hey, dammit, Tanner Gentry has been active for how many weeks now? :?
Hematite
Player of the Month

We are literally talking about #4 or worse WR's that on our team have to be a #1 or #2. The idea that Thompson can perform while in the #4 spot in Buffalo shouldn't be shocking, he just couldn't handle his role here. Will Gentry or McBride do any better? Probably not, but at least its an unknown at this point whether either can develop beyond that role.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:It was just a question of which unreliable, mediocre WR you were gonna release. Deonta must have lost the coin flip.

yes
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
sturf
Journeyman

We have all seen Deonte Thompson catch the occasional deep pass in a Bears uniform. I was surprised when he was cut, but when Bellamy was simultaneously restricted to special teams only. I figured someone made a decision that those guys were never going to develop into anything more so move on to new guys even if they're not as good initially. Whoever made the decision probably didn't expect Wheaton to immediately get hurt after they cut Thompson though.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

For those keeping score and still wondering how a team like the Bears who “have the worst receiving Corp in football” still have no receivers but let this guy who wasn’t good enough to make the roster go...

7 receptions 81 yards and 1 TD this week. Bills top receiver last 2/3 weeks.

We sure could have used that production! I would also still like to know what the Bills saw that we couldn’t see or utilize??
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The Bills are great at recycling Bears rejects...Heck they have Jordan Mills starting at RT for them.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

I was expecting him to do more this season once Mitch took over... fucking pissed they told him to take a hike.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Richie
MVP

Inman/Wright/Wheaton/McBride/Gentry (Bellamy on SPT's only)

Meh... it's not like Thompson would really make a difference there. As mentioned, it was basically a coin-flip as to who we decided to cut.
donkeykong
Player of the Month

Richie wrote:Inman/Wright/Wheaton/McBride/Gentry (Bellamy on SPT's only)

Meh... it's not like Thompson would really make a difference there. As mentioned, it was basically a coin-flip as to who we decided to cut.
Well he’s making a difference on another team with the same problem we have. Why is that?
docc
Head Coach

..Voodoo of course..
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Bah

It's things like this that make me question just what Loggains is doing for our offense
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote:..Voodoo of course..
we need a John Fox voodoo doll
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin