Joe Flacco suffers concussion after hit by LB Kiko Alonso

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Joe Flacco suffers concussion after hit by Dolphins LB Kiko Alonso
BALTIMORE -- Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco suffered a concussion in the 40-0 rout of the Miami Dolphins, leaving the field Thursday night bloodied and dazed.

In the midst of his best game of the season, Flacco took a gruesome shot to the head late in the first half from linebacker Kiko Alonso after sliding to the ground on a run. Flacco's helmet immediately flew off of his head, and the Super Bowl-winning quarterback went to the locker room with a glassy-eyed look and blood coming from his left ear.

Alonso's hit on Flacco drew outrage from the Ravens as well as an unsportsmanlike penalty. Ravens coach John Harbaugh came onto the field to yell at Alonso in a game that featured several fights the rest of the way.

Flacco was ruled out for the game during halftime. It is the first reported concussion in Flacco's 10-year career.

"Joe had a concussion and a cut ear," Harbaugh said. "They were stitching that [ear] up without any anesthesia, so he's a tough dude. That's as much as I know about it."

When asked postgame whether he thought he'd be suspended, Alonso said: "That's out of my hands, man. ... It's a bang-bang play, and I hope he's all right. I truly do."

Alonso said there was "no way" he could have avoided the hit.

"When a guy slides, the target is very small. I just think it (Flacco's slide) was a second late, which is why I hit him, to be honest with you, "Alonso said. "At first I was anticipating I thought he was going to slide. And then it got to a point where I was like, 'I got to him,' because he slid too late."

Harbaugh declined to comment on whether Alonso should've been ejected.

"It was penalized correctly, I would say," Harbaugh said.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He got rocked!! I think it was a "bad" hit. The way he came in with the forearm, little iffy. I don't know anything about Kiko so I can't say it was dirty. You could tell Flacco was out of it when he got up.

Miami, WTF happened there? Gase? Is he losing this team in some way? they have looked pretty bad this year.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

when you watch the replay, Flacco starts his slide and Alonso is running full speed 1-1.5 yards away. Flacco slid late and Alonso had no real time to pull up. These QB's will continue to get rocked if they slide late. Just part of the game because there is no real solution if we keep contact.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:He got rocked!! I think it was a "bad" hit. The way he came in with the forearm, little iffy. I don't know anything about Kiko so I can't say it was dirty. You could tell Flacco was out of it when he got up.
it wasn't a helmet to helmet hit so that should reduce the fine he's gong to get ... but he did hit a sliding QB, in the head, so a fine is inevitable, but no suspension I don't think

hard to tell on the replay if Alonso could have held up ... generally if you are diving to hit a QB, the zebras will find something wrong with what you did, even if the laws of physics might be working in your favor

Otis Day wrote:Miami, WTF happened there? Gase? Is he losing this team in some way? they have looked pretty bad this year.
I think he might have lost the team when he signed Cutler ... there were a lot of Dolphins players saying very good things about Nat Moore after Tannehill went down, and the next thing you know, Gase is bringing someone out of retirement
George Carlin
wab
Mod

That hit looked bad live, but it didn’t look nearly as dirty when it was slowed down. Very similar to what happened with Trevathan. Alonso left his feet as the slide started, and it almost looked like he put his forearm out to keep from going head to head.

He’ll get fined for sure, and he will probably have to sit a game.
G08
Hall of Famer

I agreed with the call and was glad he wasn't ejected. It's a bang-bang play, man.

Hope he isn't suspended.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Tony Romo, stray cat save terrible ‘Thursday Night Football’ game
This week’s “Thursday Night Football” game was, let’s say, less than stellar. The Baltimore Ravens beat the Miami Dolphins, 40-0, in a game that ended with two backup quarterbacks on the field. The Dolphins started their backup, but the Ravens’ backup came in only after Joe Flacco was knocked out of the game by a vicious hit from Kiko Alonso for which he may be suspended.

But all that’s beside the point thanks to a delightful few seconds that saw a stray cat run onto the field.

Even better for viewers: The cat’s sprint was accompanied by excellent commentary from Tony Romo, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback who has found a new home in the CBS broadcast booth.

“So look at this, Jim,” Romo said to broadcast partner Jim Nantz. “This is how you ran in high school.”

“Exactly,” Nantz replied.

“Look at that. Perfect form. Extension. I mean, and it doesn’t even get fazed if there’s people around,” Romo continued as the cat juked right, skimming the edge of the field. “Ooo! Look at the change in direction. Does he get both feet in right here at the end, Jim? He’s in!”

“He turns it upfield,” Nantz said.

“That’s way too much fun at this point,” Romo added, seemingly acknowledging the dud of a game. “I feel like we’re just in that tired mode where you’re delirious …”

Romo’s play-by-play came with just 1:50 left in the fourth quarter.

Those who stayed up to watch the whole game, including at least one dog, appeared to appreciate the few moments of entertainment.

the cat in action

https://www.instagram.com/p/BavJ8nODgEW/?taken-by=thecheckdown
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I thought he slid late, which was most of the cause of the hit. Alonso was committed and followed through on the hit.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Y’all is blind. That hit was Dirty. Joe went down, and Kiko went down with him with the intent to make contact. Kiko could’ve went completely over him and not touched him. The hit was late, it was forcible contact to the QBs head, and he should get at least what Danny got.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:when you watch the replay, Flacco starts his slide and Alonso is running full speed 1-1.5 yards away. Flacco slid late and Alonso had no real time to pull up. These QB's will continue to get rocked if they slide late. Just part of the game because there is no real solution if we keep contact.
yup.

plays like this almost should not be shown in slow mo, because it leads directly to "oh of course in that situation i would have contorted my body like the world's greatest ballerina and completely missed hitting him."

qb's get their slide rule, and sometimes they push it and shit like this happens. it's incredibly shitty for kiko i think to get put into a situation where if he had hit him exactly one second earlier, everyone would be praising his bone crunching hit.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

They met when Joe was practically on his back. Joe went down, so Kiko went down. That’s dirty. Plain and simple.