From Reddit: A look at Pete Carmichael Jr.

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

*** not my work
I’m certainly not alone in thinking yesterday signaled the beginning of an end to the injury-plagued and ill-fated John Fox era in Chicago. I’m an admitted John Fox apologist, and until yesterday, I think justifiably so. He helped to turn the locker room around and instill a new culture, but he failed to turn a roster absolutely loaded with practice champions into real-life, NFL game champions. I’m not sure that this is entirely his fault; he is/was working with a rebuilding roster, an unexplainable rash of injuries, Brian Hoyer/Matt Barkley/Mike Glennon as Quarterbacks and more recently, questionable officiating. He’s done some good for the Bears, and I think that shouldn’t go unrecognized. But enough of that, there are better men out there for the job so let’s put on the rose-colored glasses, take a few shots of kool-aid, kiss a titty and take a peek into the future.

Right now, if a genie popped out of thin air and gave me the power to create the next Bears head coach out of scratch, here are the qualities I’d want:

Bright young offensive mind
Established NFL background with good experience
QB ‘mentor’ and ability to work with Mitch Trubisky
Willing to pass on first down
Ability to work well with Ryan Pace
Offensive scheme fit
Vic Fangio

For the record, my made-up coach is taking on the persona of Jay Cutler, the hair of Jay Cutler and hell, even the name Jay Cutler. In short, I’m looking to put the mind of Bill Belichick or Bill Walsh in the body of Jay Cutler. If he couldn’t bring it us to the promised land as a player, he’s doing it as a coach — what a world we would live in.
It’s no secret that this Bears team will only ride as high as Mitch takes them and it’s absolutely imperative to pick the right guy. I don’t want another coaching merry-go-round situation that ruins a potential franchise QB. Whoever Pace chooses to come in, they must be the gravy to Trubisky’s biscuits. The Payton to Brees. The Belichick to Brady. The Dungy Fox to Manning. The McCarthy to Rodgers. The Walsh to Montana. I could go on but the trend becomes clear, all great quarterbacks have been afforded with coaching consistency.

I honestly believe Mitch has all of the intangibles and talent to be a top-tier quarterback in this league, if developed right and put in a good situation. Pace knows this (I hope) and he knows that playing Foxball isn’t that right situation (I hope). So the question becomes, who is the right coach to develop Mitch? In my opinion, it’s not Jim Harbaugh, nor is it Josh Mcdaniels, but rather someone from Pace’s old stomping grounds – Pete Carmichael Jr.

Who is Pete Carmichael Jr.?

He began his NFL coaching career as a Browns tight-end coach and then a Redskins offensive assistant in 2001, but his first prolonged stay was with the San Diego Chargers from 2002-2005 as a quality control coach. He worked under Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer there and coached offensive players such as: Drew Brees, LT, Antonio Gates, Darren Sproles, Vincent Jackson and the young Philip Rivers. After San Diego, he followed Drew Brees to New Orleans and was a quarterbacks coach for 2 years before being promoted to Offensive Coordinator in 2009, he has held that role since.

But does he fit the criteria? Well for starters, he is not Jay Cutler with the mind of Belichick so we’ll have to settle once we leave that alternative universe and crash back down to reality. As far as the rest of the qualities go, let’s take a look.

Bright young offensive mind

This is a no-brainer check mark in my opinion, and the numbers tell the tale. Since being with the Saints, their offense has finished no worse than sixth in total yards. For all of those worried about being too pass happy, this year the Saints rank in the top 5 in both passing AND rushing YPG. He’s been calling plays for the Saints since 2016 and also in 2011 when Drew Brees set records while leading the Saints to a 13-3 record. I know that he does not deserve all of the credit since Sean Payton and Drew Brees have both been outstanding, but Pete Carmichael Jr. plays just as big of a role in that prolific Saints offense. As far as age goes, he is not in Sean McVay territory. At 46 he is instead in the Dan Quinn territory, which is still relatively young compared to the rest of the NFL. He’d be tied for the 8th youngest NFL head coach.

Established NFL background with good experience
15+ years of NFL coaching experience - check
Worked with a HOF QB - check
Experience of success - check
Won a Super Bowl - check
Coached pro-bowl/all-pro skill position players - check

Pete Carmichael Jr. really kills this checklist. He has a ton of experience, and it’s all good experience. It’s not like he was coaching with the defensive powerhouse Jacksonville Jaguars ala Mel Tucker or the Montreal Alouettes. No, he was busy working with the like of Sean Payton, Marty Schottenheimer, Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham, LT, Antonio Gates and even the legend Aaron Kromer himself. You don’t spend 15 years with people like that and not learn. If that was the case, he wouldn't last 15 years.

QB ‘mentor’ and ability to work with Mitch Trubisky

Pete Carmichael has been around Drew Brees since the day he was drafted. Both in San Diego and New Orleans, Carmichael has been the constant in Drew Brees’ career. When Ryan Pace was asked what he liked about Mitch in the draft process he mentioned traits such as accuracy, intelligence, quick release, ability to make quick reads and leadership. I’m not the first to suggest that Mitch and Drew Brees possess many similar traits, and I don’t think it’s out of the question to suggest that Mitch’s ceiling is to be a player that resembles a more athletic Drew Brees. Why not pair one of Brees’ mentors with a guy that could be Brees 2.0? We are lucky that Mitch seems to be so coachable and I think that he could learn a lot from Pete Carmichael Jr.

Willing to pass on first down
Is his name John Fox? No. Dowell Loggains? No. Okay, check.
Ability to work well with Ryan Pace

In my opinion, this is one of the most underrated aspects of hiring the next head coach. I don’t think I stand alone in thinking that Ryan Pace is one badass motherfucker who is capable of executing his plan to right this ship. His rebuild has been working, evidenced by a roster with good young talent and more than enough cap space.
He deserves a bit of flack for his FA misses but none have been so detrimental as to ruin the future outlook for the Bears, even busts Mike Glennon and Markus Wheaton can be cut with minimal negative effect on the cap. All of his risks have been calculated and his bets have been hedged. For every draft miss, there is a budding star the Bears can use as a building block. In short, I think Ryan Pace knows what he is doing and should continue to be given that ability. He’s shown us no reason to not think so.

With that being said, the marriage between GM and coach has to be seamless for a team to be successful. The head coach-Mitch Trubisky marriage has to be successful, but this GM-HC one is no less important. They need to see eye-to-eye on everything from the draft to free agency to making roster decisions. For a football team to sustain long-term success, there needs to be a great relationship from the GM down to the coaches and the players.
This is where Pete Carmichael stands out above candidates like Jim Harbaugh and Josh McDaniels. His background with the Saints gives him working experience with Ryan Pace. I would think that if anyone were to fully appreciate him and what he does for the Saints, it would be Pace. Drew Brees had this to say about Carmichael Jr., > he’s one of those guys that has the respect of this whole locker room. I just can’t even begin to tell you the value that he provides. Sean Payton echoed that sentiment, > And look, I’m biased because he’s been here this long. But he’s one of those under-the-radar guys, and yet extremely talented.

Similar offensive schemes
Below is a list of players Pete Carmichael Jr. has coached with the Saints:
QB - Drew Brees
RB - Mark Ingram, Alvin Kamara, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles
WR - Michael Thomas, Marques Colston
TE - Jimmy Graham
Now below is a list of the Bears current talent at those skill positions:
QB - Mitch Trubisky
RB - Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen
WR - Cam Meredith, Kevin White, Dontrelle Inman, Kendall Wright, Tanner Gentry!
TE- Adam Shaheen

Do you see any similarities? Think of the current Bears as the Charmander to the Saints Charizard. You can envision Mitch Trubisky leading an offense that utilizes Cohen like Kamara or Sproles, Shaheen like Jimmy Graham and Jordan Howard like, well, Jordan Howard. So much has been said that Pace is trying to build his team like the Saints, why not hand the roster off to one of the men responsible for some of the Saints success? Of course, wide receiver is a huge need, but I digress. With draft ammunition and Free Agency, look for that position to be addressed.

Vic Fangio

This is the single biggest issue I have with replacing Fox. What do we do with Vic? Can we guarantee Vic stays despite a coaching change? I’m really not sure, it’s unusual for a HC to come in and not bring his personal choice of DC. I would like to think that the new coach recognizes the value of Vic and how unlikely it is to find a DC who would put out a better defense. It’s not totally unprecedented as it happened with Ditka and Buddy Ryan — I think that calls for another Kool-Aid shot. In reality, this is a fingers-crossed wait and see situation. If Vic Fangio leaves, I’m still confident in our defense to produce at a high level. Just not to its potential.
I really think that Pete Carmichael Jr. is the right man for this job, he fits in so well and checks just about every box. I encourage you to do research on him and all of the other possible candidates. Really think about what the Bears need in a head coach and what you would want, it’s exciting to think about and it leads to great discussions. At the same time, cheer on Fox and Co. in hopes that a 10-6 record will eliminate the need for a coaching change. Bear down!

TL:DR: Pete Carmichael is the man to replace Fox because he is a bright ‘young’ offensive mind with a great pedigree and connections to Ryan Pace.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

YOGABBA
Rookie

I'm skeptical of anyone that doesn't call their own plays.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm not a good judge of coaches. But let me play devil's advocate.

The guy been with Brees for approaching 10 years. There's nothing to develop there. And Brees was a natural pocket passer coming out of Purdue. Biscuit isn't and needs developed in that area. Those two are pretty different and need different offenses to match their gifts. Can Carmichael do that? How do we know?

(Not saying he's a bad choice. Just have to ask the questions.)
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I'm not a good judge of coaches. But let me play devil's advocate.

The guy been with Brees for approaching 10 years. There's nothing to develop there. And Brees was a natural pocket passer coming out of Purdue. Biscuit isn't and needs developed in that area. Those two are pretty different and need different offenses to match their gifts. Can Carmichael do that? How do we know?

(Not saying he's a bad choice. Just have to ask the questions.)
Carmichael Jr has been with Brees since his first year as an NFL starter. You can argue he was there for the player's entire career and progression from an afterthought to a Hall of Famer.

G08
Hall of Famer

YOGABBA wrote:I'm skeptical of anyone that doesn't call their own plays.
I'm skeptical of anyone that reads what was posted and still says he doesn't call his own plays.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Fuck it, I am all in on the Josh McDaniels train. Watching them all these years, watching that game sunday night and seeing him abuse the Denver D with the matchups he presented, get that dude here ASAP. let him be an ass, I don't care, Pace just has to man up and the players as well. Anything less than McDaniels, will be a disappointment.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Fuck it, I am all in on the Josh McDaniels train. Watching them all these years, watching that game sunday night and seeing him abuse the Denver D with the matchups he presented, get that dude here ASAP. let him be an ass, I don't care, Pace just has to man up and the players as well. Anything less than McDaniels, will be a disappointment.

with any luck, McDaniels will come to town with a fresh approach after failing in Denver as the head man ... he hasn't let his HC failure keep him from continued success as an OC
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hematite
Player of the Month

Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Fuck it, I am all in on the Josh McDaniels train. Watching them all these years, watching that game sunday night and seeing him abuse the Denver D with the matchups he presented, get that dude here ASAP. let him be an ass, I don't care, Pace just has to man up and the players as well. Anything less than McDaniels, will be a disappointment.

with any luck, McDaniels will come to town with a fresh approach after failing in Denver as the head man ... he hasn't let his HC failure keep him from continued success as an OC
Reports have said he was very humbled by that experience. Man it would be nice to have a coach that was taught the intangibles of Belichick. He's right there with Harbaugh for me.
wab
Mod

First - I can't stand McDaniels.

Second - I'm a huge Fangio guy, but does no one remember what happened the last time the Bears hired a coach and forced a DC on him.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:First - I can't stand McDaniels.

Second - I'm a huge Fangio guy, but does no one remember what happened the last time the Bears hired a coach and forced a DC on him.
I'm of the opinion that was a 10-12 win team if Marinelli stuck around.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:

I'm of the opinion that was a 10-12 win team if Marinelli stuck around.
Same
Funkster
MVP

I believe Carmichael is already on Pace' short list. Pace has copied the saints blueprint, acquiring Carmichael would be his finishing stamp. Whatever happens, I believe Pace has to have Fangio 100% on board with the decision. McDaniel is intriguing, he sat under Bill. Bill is a defensive coach that understands you have to systematically move the ball on offense. McDaniel has learned how to win not only regular season games but playoff games and super bowls. He's also worked with the greatest QB of all time. When you surround youself with the best, it tends to rub off. Those learning experiences he has picked up from Bill/Brady are priceless.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I also cannot stand him, but he is the goods. He has coached under Belichek, twice, has worked with Brady, seems to be a matchup genius, has dealt with less than stellar personnel (WR, RB) and constantly gets the job done.
G08
Hall of Famer

Give this a read on Josh McDaniels...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666 ... -his-spots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

uh no I don't remember but I miss a lot of stuff
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Give this a read on Josh McDaniels...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666 ... -his-spots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:clap: Great read. Thanks for finding and posting. That is my guy now (and the article still didn't make me like, just respect him more).
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:

:clap: Great read. Thanks for finding and posting. That is my guy now (and the article still didn't make me like, just respect him more).
I listened to Michael Lombardi on the radio and he made it sound like Josh McDaniels is going to want control over the roster... not so sure that is something Pace will want to give up.

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:
Otis Day wrote:

I listened to Michael Lombardi on the radio and he made it sound like Josh McDaniels is going to want control over the roster... not so sure that is something Pace will want to give up.
I was just reading an article and Hoge said the same thing. I'm really leaning toward McDaniels so I'm hoping that this isn't true :)

My short list so far in no particular order

McDaniels
J. Harbaugh
Carmichael
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I would tell him that is not possible and if that is the deal breaker so be it.

By reading the article, I didn't get that feel. Time will tell.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I don't get the praise for McDaniels that points to Brady. That guy was great before McDaniels, with McDaniels, when McDaniels was in Denver and now that he's back. The greatness constant was Brady, not McDaniels. I'm not saying McDaniels won't succeed elsewhere or with another QB. But pointing to Brady's success doesn't necessarily say much about McDaniels. It's relatively easy to coach a first ballot hall of famer.

And if he wants to go from OC to HC with roster control? No thanks. He hasn't earned that.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy intrigues the fuck out of me.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Matt Nagy intrigues the fuck out of me.
As a head coach? With only one year as a coordinator with a seasoned veteran QB? Yikes.

If I'm going for a guy who doesn't have much experience, I'd lean more to Frank Reich, who took a QB just coming out of his rookie year and helped him become an MVP candidate.

G08
Hall of Famer

10 years with Andy Reid and the players rave about him. Played the position, was an All-American in college... dude is young and is obsessed with the game... I'd roll the dice for sure.

Adipost
MVP

I’m a big fan as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
I’m a big fan as well.
He needs to be paired with a strong defensive coordinator; maybe Fangio would stick around, maybe not. Maybe Ed Donatell will get promoted... maybe he'll poach someone from the Chiefs' staff. He's my guy.

wab
Mod

I just want everyone to be prepared for when the Bears don't fire Fox.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I just want everyone to be prepared for when the Bears don't fire Fox.
I think year 3 of a coach's tenure a team needs to see the arrow pointing up firmly. I think it is on defense, but not on offense or special teams. We still are losing games we should win.

If Fox goes into his lame duck year, Loggains likely returns and Fangio leaves. If that season is a complete shitshow then I wouldn't be surprised to see McCaskey tell Pace to take a hike even though he'll have one year left on his contract.

His best move is getting rid of Fox, bringing in someone to tie to Mitch Trubisky, and give them 2 years before ownership needs to decide if they want to extend Pace or tell him to hit the bricks.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

honestly it kind of reads like mcdaniels turned into marc trestman. i laughed a few times reading it because of this... i cant believe he didnt use the phrase "self-actualization" even once.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I just want everyone to be prepared for when the Bears don't fire Fox.
I dont really believe that the loss to the packers was "the game that sealed fox's fate." i think that's a bold, emotional statement that feels good saying because fans hate the packers so much. It's a very, very real possibility that Fox plays out his contract here.

There were positives to take away from the game, and despite the anger the offense is slowly coming along week by week. not as fast as people want, but our OL are also exposing themselves a bit and on top of our WR situation there are some handy built in excuses for all parties involved.
Hematite
Player of the Month

[video][/video]
G08 wrote:
I think year 3 of a coach's tenure a team needs to see the arrow pointing up firmly. I think it is on defense, but not on offense or special teams. We still are losing games we should win.

If Fox goes into his lame duck year, Loggains likely returns and Fangio leaves. If that season is a complete shitshow then I wouldn't be surprised to see McCaskey tell Pace to take a hike even though he'll have one year left on his contract.

His best move is getting rid of Fox, bringing in someone to tie to Mitch Trubisky, and give them 2 years before ownership needs to decide if they want to extend Pace or tell him to hit the bricks.