Article: The Ringer Chimes in on Mitch Trubisky

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Good read, parrots what I say about us forcing him to be under center and not trying to incorporate plays and concepts that play to his clear strengths.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/1 ... t-check-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Like you say G08, the article doesn't really say anything we haven't already on this board... but man seeing some of those stats written down is a pretty damning indictment of Loggains and Fox:
Overall, he’s averaged just 23 pass attempts per game, with head coach John Fox and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains instead leaning heavily on their run game for a league-high 54 percent rate since Trubisky was named the starter.

Trubisky lined up in the shotgun on nearly 98 percent of his dropbacks in college. Since he took over as starter, the Bears have lined up with Trubisky under center on a league-high 63 percent of his snaps.

Since Week 5, the team has run the ball 83 times on first down compared with throwing just 35 times—making it much too easy for opposing defenses to stack the box and stuff the play.
And perhaps the most damning indictment of many in the article:
For Trubisky, this season has a similar feel to Jared Goff’s rookie year under Jeff Fisher
In a season where Fox and Loggains are presumably trying to keep their jobs, it doesn't make any sense to me for them to be so predictable running the ball, particularly on first down 70% of the time, and consistently leaving Trubisky in a situation where the offense is behind the chains as a result.

In a season where Fox and Loggains are presumably trying to keep their jobs, it doesn't make any sense to me for them to have Trubisky run plays under center more than any other quarterback in the league when he played almost exclusively from the shotgun in college, even more so when you consider that Howard averaged 7 yards a carry running out of the shotgun last year.

In a season where Fox and Loggains are presumably trying to keep their jobs, it doesn't make any sense to me for them to put themselves in a position where they're being compared to Jeff Fisher!

It's almost as if they have a mindset that having Trubisky play so much from under center is what needs to happen for him to adapt to an NFL offense going forward without worrying about the present despite the fact that it will almost certainly cost them their jobs and in Loggains case any hope he might have of ever being a co-ordinator again let alone a head coach.

It's the exact opposite to the approach other teams who are having success with their young QBs are taking. They're integrating concepts their QBs were comfortable with in college into their schemes whilst introducing them to NFL concepts, providing a balance between familiarity and progression and easing their transition into the professional game with a gentler learning curve. Loggains and Fox just seem to be wedded to a sky high learning curve, dumping everything on Trubisky whilst drilling into him that it's better to play it safe than risk a turnover.

Maybe if he survives it, this approach will pay dividends in the future, but the slower, smoother option certainly seems to me to be the safer choice not least because it must be better for a young QB's confidence.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

watching this Bears offense reminds me of the inglorious days of John "Poop" Shoop and his 8 play offensive playbook written in Crayon

innovation? designing plays to take advantage of the defense instead of the other way around? allowing a check from a run to a pass when faced with a 9 man front? bah - who needs that stuff?

:frustrated:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Chris Spielman on Mitch Trubisky:
“The past few weeks that I’ve been out to (Bears) practice he’s always there and he’s never leaving. He’s always working. So when the defense is up and the offense is off the field, Mitchell Trubisky’s grabbing wide receivers and tight ends and working on foot work and routes in drills.

He never stops. So he doesn’t like take a knee and watch the defense practice. He’s over there wanting to get better. He has the mentality, he has a presence about him. I think he has the respect of his players and at least from the Monday Night game against the Vikings until last week I think we’ve seen tremendous growth.”
:D

bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Chris Spielman on Mitch Trubisky:
“The past few weeks that I’ve been out to (Bears) practice he’s always there and he’s never leaving. He’s always working. So when the defense is up and the offense is off the field, Mitchell Trubisky’s grabbing wide receivers and tight ends and working on foot work and routes in drills.

He never stops. So he doesn’t like take a knee and watch the defense practice. He’s over there wanting to get better. He has the mentality, he has a presence about him. I think he has the respect of his players and at least from the Monday Night game against the Vikings until last week I think we’ve seen tremendous growth.”
:D
That's awesome to hear
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

luv 2 grab tight ends
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:luv 2 grab tight ends

that can be fun ... there's a particular bartender at my local watering hole who should simply charge everyone a $1 for the honor of watching her walk in ... I'll see if I can get a nice shot of her in action next time I'm there ... she has an ass to die for
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Good read, parrots what I say about us forcing him to be under center and not trying to incorporate plays and concepts that play to his clear strengths.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/1 ... t-check-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
all stuff we've been discussing ... and all very true

HisRoyalSweetness wrote:Like you say G08, the article doesn't really say anything we haven't already on this board... but man seeing some of those stats written down is a pretty damning indictment of Loggains and Fox

And perhaps the most damning indictment of many in the article:
For Trubisky, this season has a similar feel to Jared Goff’s rookie year under Jeff Fisher
In a season where Fox and Loggains are presumably trying to keep their jobs, it doesn't make any sense to me for them to be so predictable running the ball, particularly on first down 70% of the time, and consistently leaving Trubisky in a situation where the offense is behind the chains as a result.
agreed ... it doesn't make sense

Trubisky should have gotten the same open book initiation Carson Wentz did ... when Wentz won the job, they rode him for all he was worth and accepted his mistakes as part of his natural learning curve ... now look at him - a legitimate MVP candidate in just his second year

the main difference is Trubisky was never going to start opening day regardless of how well he did or didn't do in preseason ... in hindsight, Pace did Trubisky a disservice by not allowing him even the opportunity to win the job on merit as a rookie (and yes, that is on Pace for his Glennon deal)
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I re-watched the game yesterday and came away very impressed with the kid's poise. That 4th down scramble was beautiful, and really the following dart he threw to Inman was equally impressive.

I wish he was more accurate (which was supposed to be a strength of his) but I suppose/hope that will come in time.

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think his inaccuracy is a direct result of him trying to curb his efforts as he has been instructed to do rather than just allowing the natural flow of the game and circumstances dictate his actions

the Bears need to remove the muzzle and just let the kid play and quit screwing with him with outdated mandates of how he should do things
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:I think his inaccuracy is a direct result of him trying to curb his efforts as he has been instructed to do rather than just allowing the natural flow of the game and circumstances dictate his actions

the Bears need to remove the muzzle and just let the kid play and quit screwing with him with outdated mandates of how he should do things
Reasonable explanation, I hope it's true. I think he looks a little rushed still, even when he has time. I don't think he has full confidence in his line yet and that's contributing. By lack of full confidence I don't just mean in their ability, with the merry go round of players he can't compensate for expected weaknesses and he's getting hurried in lots of different ways.

Some of the misses and overthrows have been concerning but he's currently doing more than enough for me just to put it down to rookie jitters.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BR0D1E86
MVP

You can usually see it in his feet when his passes are inaccurate. I’ve got to think that’s a direct result of the pretty consistent pressure he’s faced this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk