NFL suspends JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Iloka one game each

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

NFL suspends JuJu Smith-Schuster, George Iloka one game each for hits
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Cincinnati Bengals safety George Iloka were each suspended one game for hits in Monday night's game, the NFL announced Tuesday.

Both players will appeal the suspension, sources told ESPN.

Smith-Schuster was suspended for a vicious fourth-quarter block on Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict, who was in a defenseless posture, according to the NFL's ruling.

"The contact you made with your opponent placed the opposing player at risk of serious injury and could have been avoided," NFL vice president of football operations Jon Runyan said in issuing the suspension. "Your conduct following the hit fell far below the high standards of sportsmanship expected of an NFL player."

Ioka was suspended for a hit on Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown in the end zone in the fourth quarter when Brown was deemed to be a defenseless receiver. Brown held on to the ball to score the eventual tying touchdown.

this was like a throwback game to the 70's with the slobberknockers delivered
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

this link has better videos of the hits :

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/12/5/16736924/steelers-bengals-juju-smith-schuster-vontaze-burfict-george-iloka

I don't think the block on Burfict was a hit to the head ... his head injury came from the way it slammed against the turf

the hit on Brown was one Doug Plank would have been proud of in his day but is no longer within the rules, and was a helmet to helmet blast
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I mean, the taunting by JSS was unnecessary, but I didn't think it was an inherently "dirty" block. Burfict was coming for the guy and didn't see JSS. I wouldn't exactly call him defenseless.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I loved Ju Ju's block, especially since it was on Burfict who is a huge jag bag. I usually hate taunting, but kudos to Ju Ju for that as well. Now Vontez knows what it is like to be on the receiving end of some "dirty" shit. I think it was an illegal crack back block, dudes need to keep their heads on a swivel.

Brown got rocked and no concussion protocol. Interesting. That was a bad hit.

Plankish like Boris said.

Now Pitt has the Ratbirds coming up, another heated rival. I will definitely be watching that game.

I seem to enjoy watching Pitt far more than the Bears these days, shocker.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Burfict deserved everything he got and ten times more for the BS he has pulled. Ju Ju should be getting a bonus for that, regardless of the taunt. Timing was even better with the complete bullshit ESPN article that came out prior to the game on Burfict.
malk
Head Coach

Not sure Brown's teammates dragging him to his feet after the hit was great! NFL still has a ways to go dealing with concussions.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i just read this and it made me laugh:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... suspended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

florio's making the argument that, through precedent set by the league, iloka shouldnt have been suspended, which whatever. it's no secret that the league is both royally fucked on this (you will never remove these brain scrambling hits from the game), and horribly bungling it nonetheless.

but this:

Folks, it’s football. The hits are unfortunate and in many cases avoidable, but they happen. And there’s a very real disconnect between the attitudes toward those kinds of hits from those who cover the sport and those who consume it.

If you don’t believe that, wait and see what happens if/when the NFL keeps changing the fundamental nature of the game. Eventually, someone will start a league that embraces the hits that the NFL now tries to shun. Players will sign up for an old-school football league without hesitation, and plenty of fans who lament football players not being allowed to play football the way they used to play football will flock to a version of the sport that doesn’t shy away from the kind of contact that used to be commonplace on Sundays and Monday nights.

i guess he means the XFL? I love the idea of a league where you've got a bunch of guys not good enough to play in the NFL, and they're all headhunting. That league would be bankrupt within a year.
Funkster
MVP

I think both suspensions are BS. Especially JJ, that is just football. Burfict had an angle and was in pursuit of the ball carrier. JJ led with his shoulder and put an awesome block on Burfict. Now if you want to throw a flag for taunting,ok. But has any player ever been suspended for taunting? Iloka was more worthy to me because he led with his head, but his suspension was just reduced to a fine. IMO, both were football players trying to make a football play. This game is fast and violent, trying to take that away may be attributing to empty seats?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The XFL had real potential, but was mismanaged IMO. Some of the gimmicks they threw in there like nicknames was a turnoff.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Iloka's one-game suspension reduced to fine
It won't come cheap, but George Iloka's one-game suspension has been wiped away.

The league announced Wednesday that appeals officer Derrick Brooks has reduced the Bengals safety's punishment to a $36,464.50 fine.

Iloka was flagged for an illegal hit to the helmet of Steelers wideout Antonio Brown on a game-tying touchdown catch in Pittsburgh's 23-20 win over the Bengals on Monday night.

Steelers' JuJu Smith-Schuster out vs. Ravens as one-game suspension upheld
The one-game suspension of Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster has been upheld by appeals officer James Thrash, who was jointly appointed by the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

The appeal was heard Tuesday afternoon.

Smith-Schuster was suspended for Monday night's vicious fourth-quarter block on Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict, who was in a defenseless posture, according to the NFL's ruling. Smith-Schuster then stood over Burfict as he lay motionless.

Smith-Schuster will miss the Steelers' home game against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday night.

of the 2 hits, I think Iloka's was the most worthy of a suspension ... he launched himself for a helmet to helmet hit ... Smith-Schuster's hit was what I thought a good slobberknocker block, and not a hit to the head ... but his suspension is upheld

I don't understand the NFL's enforcement policies
George Carlin
Funkster
MVP

At least one player is willing to speak truth!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2169 ... d-hits-nfl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:I don't think the block on Burfict was a hit to the head ... his head injury came from the way it slammed against the turf
That's quite an odd interpretation of that play. lol

His head actually does not even seem to hit the ground upon landing.

Even better angle at 2:19 of this clip

[video][/video]

Crown of the helmet is first (or at the very least, simultaneous) contact, as he launches upwards at his head/neck area. Really as clear as day.
Last edited by Richie on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

wab wrote:I mean, the taunting by JSS was unnecessary, but I didn't think it was an inherently "dirty" block. Burfict was coming for the guy and didn't see JSS. I wouldn't exactly call him defenseless.
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/20 ... ss-posture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

Players in a defenseless posture are:

10. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck

In this instance, according to the NFL rule-book. Burfict is considered just as "defenseless" as a WR going over the middle and attempting to make a catch in mid-air.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
Boris13c wrote:I don't think the block on Burfict was a hit to the head ... his head injury came from the way it slammed against the turf

I think it was a good block ... the taunting part was stupid
George Carlin
Richie
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:

I think it was a good block ... the taunting part was stupid
I mean, a few years ago it was a good block. Now, that's the shining example of what the NFL was outlawing with this rule.

As I posted above...

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ss-posture

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE
It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

Players in a defenseless posture are:

10. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck

In this instance, according to the NFL rule-book. Burfict is considered just as "defenseless" as a WR going over the middle and attempting to make a catch in mid-air.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:In this instance, according to the NFL rule-book. Burfict is considered just as "defenseless" as a WR going over the middle and attempting to make a catch in mid-air.

so what was the blocker supposed to do?

"oh - the guy about to tackle my runner is not looking at me ... so I cannot block him"

I guess the receiver could have just stood there and let Burfict run him over as a way to deflect him from making the tackle ... unfortunately the NFL does not have the same rules for charging that the NBA does so nothing would happen to Burfict, and the WR that was steamrolled might not have prevented a tackle

they need to re-think this defenseless player stuff
George Carlin