Matt Forte signs w/ NY Jets

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Let the sour grapes begin:

@MattForte22
Me either RT @singinsince3: The way Ryan Pace went after CJ Anderson after not even offering Forte a contract doesnt sit well with me!!
IE
Hall of Famer

Dear Matt ... it is because CJ Anderson has already proved he is willing to work & compete in a platoon of RBs - and doesn't expect to get the majority of the touches. He is what Fox is used to - and wants on his team.

You got your money, but your bell cow back days are over. We're all happy for both you on the Jets, AND also Fox & Bears not having to deal with the likely primadonna response about "disrespect" for you based on the # of touches you would have gotten this year and going forward.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

My take on Matt Forte's #Bears departure, & how "no thank you" is better than sliding nickels across the table.

http://untakenblogurl.blogspot.com/2016 ... y-its.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Forte scored 3 touchdowns against the Bills and had over 100 all purpose yards.

I'm not surprised, I'm just still bitter that the Bears let him go.

Best RB we had since Payton.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not bitter at all. He averaged a little over 3 yds a carry last night. His OL had push on the 2 short yardage TDs and a semi could have drove through the hole on the 12 yd TD run. I liked Forte, but I don't think he has much left in him and the Bears needed to get younger at that position. He will do fine in NY because he will not be splitting many carries there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

my issue with the Bears letting Forte go is that they did not have a confirmed successor

Langford was hot and cold and had hands like a foot last season which did not inspire me at all that he was ready to step in as the starting RB

Carey got only partial time and was nothing special

so if they used a crystal ball to predict Langford was going to be the man it would seem their crystal is cracked

so yes, I have some serious regrets of Forte being in Jets green rather than Bears blue ... I felt when the Bears let him go, and continue to feel now, that he has 3 productive years in the tank ... and now he'll be doing that production in New York while the Bears will probably go through 5 potential starting RB's during those 3 years
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Matt Forte’s brilliance rewards Jets’ run-game persistence
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — The thing that impressed Matt Forte most was that he kept getting the ball. And kept getting it. And kept getting it.

“It’s a testament to Chan [Gailey, the Jets’ offensive coordinator] that he never shied away from the running game,” Forte said.

It couldn’t have been easy. The Jets trailed 7-3 early. They trailed 24-20 late. They were moving the ball with ease against the Bills’ overmatched secondary, but Gailey never fell into the trap of only keeping the ball in the air.

He kept giving the ball to Forte.

“He’s a workhorse,” Jets coach Todd Bowles marveled.

He certainly was during this 37-31 Jets’ victory over the Bills. He carried the ball 30 times. He gained exactly 100 yards. He found the end zone three times, including a 12-yard burst with 4:02 left in the game that all but cinched the game for the Jets (1-1).

“We have an identity now,” said Forte, signed as a free agent during the offseason after collecting five thousand-yard rushing seasons in nine years as a Bear. “There was a lot of crazy stuff that happened in the game and if you’re not a mentally tough team that can put you in the tank.”
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

SHOULDNT HAVE CUT HIM

FIRE PACE

bring back MARSHALL
Stay_Cool
MVP

UOK wrote:SHOULDNT HAVE CUT HIM

FIRE PACE

bring back MARSHALL
*barf*

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:SHOULDNT HAVE CUT HIM
they didn't

they simply didn't re-sign him

and I am sticking with my feelings on the matter that it was a mistake
George Carlin
MoFugger
Head Coach

IE wrote:Dear Matt ... it is because CJ Anderson has already proved he is willing to work & compete in a platoon of RBs - and doesn't expect to get the majority of the touches. He is what Fox is used to - and wants on his team.

You got your money, but your bell cow back days are over. We're all happy for both you on the Jets, AND also Fox & Bears not having to deal with the likely primadonna response about "disrespect" for you based on the # of touches you would have gotten this year and going forward.
Lagford - 17 carries
Every other RB - 1
I know it's only been one game, but this running back by committee thing...?
IE
Hall of Famer

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Stay_Cool
MVP

IE wrote:Image
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
UOK
Site Admin

Jets are expected to release Matt Forte soon.
wab
Mod

I don't want to get all sentimental and meatball-y, but he'd be a nice compliment in the passing game.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:I don't want to get all sentimental and meatball-y, but he'd be a nice compliment in the passing game.
To replace Cunningham and eventually retire a Bear? Sure, why not.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think Forte is overrated. The first guy that hits Matt Forte, tackles Matt Forte.
Richie
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote:I think Forte is overrated. The first guy that hits Matt Forte, tackles Matt Forte.
He was just very consistent and solid all-around. However, outside of 11 and 12. He was nothing special. He was "good" at everything.

That 2011 season before the injury though? Man, he looked damn good.

However, I said at the time. We got rid of him at the perfect point. In 2014, you saw him lose just that little bit of a step, even thought he did a great job catching the ball still. In 2015, you saw the mileage catch up with injuries. I knew he was finished, and that we did the right thing.

Those last two years, watching go down every time he got clipped on the ankles from behind. Like he had just tripped over a land-mind... Yeah, the writing was on the wall.
BR0D1E86
MVP

Richie wrote:
The Marshall Plan wrote:I think Forte is overrated. The first guy that hits Matt Forte, tackles Matt Forte.
He was just very consistent and solid all-around. However, outside of 11 and 12. He was nothing special. He was "good" at everything.

That 2011 season before the injury though? Man, he looked damn good.

However, I said at the time. We got rid of him at the perfect point. In 2014, you saw him lose just that little bit of a step, even thought he did a great job catching the ball still. In 2015, you saw the mileage catch up with injuries. I knew he was finished, and that we did the right thing.

Those last two years, watching go down every time he got clipped on the ankles from behind. Like he had just tripped over a land-mind... Yeah, the writing was on the wall.
Yeah, I was a bit sad to see him go. But I was real glad we didn’t give him that contract. It was time.