2018 NFL Draft Prospects

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

mmmc_35 wrote:ESB is shown as a second rounder on many boards. Dude is perhaps the most physically gifted WR in the draft. Fortunately his team couldn't get him the ball.

Kirk is lightning in a bottle. He does body catch everything. So I question that. He though is a guy you want to get if he is there.

Washington has everything you want. The question is route running due to his college spread system. Those guys generally are slower to develop in the nfl.
Forgot to mention Kirk in R2. If he's there, I think it's a no brainer. He would give the Bears offense a dynamic playmaker that defense will have to account for given his explosive play style and speed. Not to mention him and Cohen in the return game is downright scary.
Never Die Easy
docc
Head Coach

Christian Kirk or Calvin Ridley..at 8 pick for Bears, 4 QBs to be targeted..above us..

A New Years wish..
Love to see the shit fight with Rosen and Darnold maybe BOTH not wanting to go to the Brownies..
Last edited by docc on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

I want Levi Wallace in the middle rounds...
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I get that its not a need - but I don't know how anyone could have watched the Rose Bowl yesterday and not want Roquan Smith at LB on their team. That kid was flying all over the field - sideline to sideline - against the best offense in college football.

I'd draft him at 8 and not feel bad about it.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:I get that its not a need - but I don't know how anyone could have watched the Rose Bowl yesterday and not want Roquan Smith at LB on their team. That kid was flying all over the field - sideline to sideline - against the best offense in college football.

I'd draft him at 8 and not feel bad about it.
Dude. I agree. I don't think it's an understatement to say he's a big reason they won that game. Put Jones outside and let the future inside be Smith and Kawasaki.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

So who are some guys you are looking at in the later rounds?
Like 4-7
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:So who are some guys you are looking at in the later rounds?
Like 4-7
I really don't feel like there's much need in those rounds. The bottom end of our roster is fine. It's playmakers at the top that's lacking.

For example - we could stand to be better at S. But is anyone we pick on Day 3 going to come in and be better than the 5 young Day 3 guys we already have (Amos, Jackson, Bush, H-C, Hall)? Not very likely.

I'm definitely in for a K (Pineiro, Carlson)
Developmental QB (Falk, Ferguson) is ideal, although not necessary.
Maybe ILB
Maybe OL, if you think FAs like Compton & Sowell won't be back.

Top of 4, a few good players slide every year. That's a good spot to be opportunistic and look for BPA.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Good news for us - both Darnold and Rosen have declared for the draft.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I know CB may or may not be a need this April but Josh Jackson is a very impressive CB1 prospect. If we don’t retain Fuller or Amukamara, I wouldn’t be opposed looking st him at #8. Though I do prefer Edge Rusher or OL in R1.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I would not be upset if we drafted Derwin James or Tarvarus McFadden at #8 although the pick should be BPA.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I would draft Michael Dickson P Texas with a mid-round pick assuming he's still there. He's easily the best punter I've seen in my lifetime - and its not really very close. Never seen a kid with a cannon for a leg that can also drop it inside the 10 so consistently. He is a real weapon in the field position war. Come at me.

wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:I would not be upset if we drafted Derwin James or Tarvarus McFadden at #8 although the pick should be BPA.
The Bears are more than fine at safety.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Louisville QB Lamar Jackson announced this morning that he is declaring for the NFL draft. Great news for us as every one of the underclassmen QB's people were talking about as possible top 10 picks have declared.

If at least a few of these guys go top 7 it should push a really nice player down to us at 8.

wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Louisville QB Lamar Jackson announced this morning that he is declaring for the NFL draft. Great news for us as every one of the underclassmen QB's people were talking about as possible top 10 picks have declared.

If at least a few of these guys go top 7 it should push a really nice player down to us at 8.
I know QBs get overvalued at this time of year and everything kinda settles when Draft Day rolls around, but it’s entirely possible that 5 QBs could go in the top 10

Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Jackson
Mayfield

Add in Barkley and Chubb and the Bears could come away with a pretty good player at #8.

There’s also Rudolph (who could go anywhere between 5 and 95) and Finley in the 1st round mix.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:Louisville QB Lamar Jackson announced this morning that he is declaring for the NFL draft. Great news for us as every one of the underclassmen QB's people were talking about as possible top 10 picks have declared.

I know QBs get overvalued at this time of year and everything kinda settles when Draft Day rolls around, but it’s entirely possible that 5 QBs could go in the top 10

Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Jackson
Mayfield

Add in Barkley and Chubb and the Bears could come away with a pretty good player at #8.

There’s also Rudolph (who could go anywhere between 5 and 95) and Finley in the 1st round mix.
It's win-win for us... either a stud falls to us OR we can fleece a QB-needy team that wants to trade up to our pick.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:

Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Jackson
Mayfield

For the life of me I can't work out why Rudolph isn't getting more love? I'd put good money on him being a better QB than Allen, Rosen or Jackson and think he'll be the best from this class (assuming he gets any real opportunity).

Of the teams above us:

Browns - one of their picks is going to be a QB, surely?
Giants - Manning is 37 and clearly declining so someone who can be groomed behind him is surely on the cards.
Colts - Even with the rumours swirling around Luck's health they fill another gap here. If Luck is done they'll pick high enough next year to grab a QB then.
Browns - Barkley makes a lot of sense here.
Broncos - Another strong shout for a QB, they won't be planning on picking this high again for a while. Wouldn't surprise me to see them trade up if they have one they really like.
Jets - Do they have a bigger need than QB?
Bucs - Not giving up on Jameis Winston yet.

Obviously free agency and trades will have some impact Smith to the Browns makes sense for example, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 go before us along with Chubb and Barkley. By the time #8 comes around we're going to have a shot at the first player from a few positions, WR, CB/DB, OT/OL etc. I don't see anyone head and shoulders ahead there and will be predictably screaming for a trade down.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Indy seems like a team in a good spot to move down should someone want a QB. It could conceivably go QB, QB, QB, RB, QB, QB, DE.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I would like to see the Bears draft Troy Fumagalli , TE , Wisconsin. He is a big athletic TE, who catches the ball cleanly, runs good routes, blocks, etc. He can play as a move TE or in line. I think having two promising TE along with a new WR core really could change the dynamics of the offense.

https://youtu.be/PBlaIYEc4D8
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

A quick run through of OT and Connor Williams is the best OT in this class. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Connor Williams is probably the guy who's most likely to test really well at the Combine, I'll give you that. His injury history is gonna make teams pause, though.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Indy seems like a team in a good spot to move down should someone want a QB. It could conceivably go QB, QB, QB, RB, QB, QB, DE.
I would love it if that happened.

Assuming Chubb is that DE, our options are then:

Fitzpatrick
Smith
Key
McFadden
Ferrell
Ridley
Kirk

How do you not like that? And yes I deliberately left off OL. You could trade down a couple spots and still draft somebody impactful.
wab
Mod

Williams probably falls to R2 just based on his injuries.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Because of a meniscus tear? I don't think so, unless I am missing something.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

I'll say it again, I think we can get a WR in R2 and should address OL or Edge Rusher in R1.
Never Die Easy
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Williams probably falls to R2 just based on his injuries.

He had one injury in college, and came back to play before the end of the season. He only missed one game his first two seasons (and that was because Strong decided to rest some starters against UTEP).

A torn MCL isn’t going to drop him a round. He might go in the second - but it would be because teams graded him out as a second round talent.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I still will eat my hat if we draft a tackle in one of the first two rounds. But I am all in on drafting a generational talent at guard, releasing sitton and using those savings towards other free agents. i dont think that a replacement for sitton is needed this year, but if nelson really is the BPA available, my body is ready.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Just got done listening to McShay/Kiper's First Draft podcast and they're not really high on this Tackle or WR class at all.

Kiper and McShay said that McGlinchey is a RT in the NFL and that he's sort of the Jack Conklin of this draft. Connor Williams shouldn't be drafted until the 20's and that his tape wasn't that impressive this year and then got injured.

Said they wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Nelson as the top OL drafted ahead of any of the Tackles.

As for the WR's, they don't think Ridley, Sutton or any of the others should be drafted in the 1st round but think that Ridley and Sutton will get overdrafted.

Nothing we haven't already been saying here, but thought I'd share. I personally don't think the Bears draft any of the WR's or OT's in the 1st round. I think it's going to be Nelson or Pass Rusher.
Never Die Easy
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't understand the insistence on drafting OL in the first round. This is an area that can be addressed in FA and later on in the draft. Unless if this is a BPA argument in which case I understand, but that's not the vibe I'm getting.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well Nelson or Williams very easily could be BOA. Add to that, the best thing a young QB can have is a clean pocket and time, OLine play becomes important.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Just got done listening to McShay/Kiper's First Draft podcast and they're not really high on this Tackle or WR class at all.

Kiper and McShay said that McGlinchey is a RT in the NFL and that he's sort of the Jack Conklin of this draft. Connor Williams shouldn't be drafted until the 20's and that his tape wasn't that impressive this year and then got injured.

Said they wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Nelson as the top OL drafted ahead of any of the Tackles.

As for the WR's, they don't think Ridley, Sutton or any of the others should be drafted in the 1st round but think that Ridley and Sutton will get overdrafted.

Nothing we haven't already been saying here, but thought I'd share. I personally don't think the Bears draft any of the WR's or OT's in the 1st round. I think it's going to be Nelson or Pass Rusher.
Thanks.
I'll have to start downloading again.

Agree with almost everything they say.

[*] Agree WRs not that special. Can wait until R2.
[*] Agree bad OT group. McGlinchey iffy for LT, Williams way overrated.
[*] Agree Rusher should be the top early target
[*] Agree Nelson could be first OL off the board...but strenuously against the Bears doing that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.