Garrapolo highest paid NFL player?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rep ... li=BBnba9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 49ers have signed quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to a five-year contract, completing their most important task of the offseason, according to a report from NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. The deal is expected to pay San Francisco's new franchise quarterback $27.5 million per season, a new record.
Some owners are so stupid. This is what is wrong with professional sports, certain guys getting paid too damn much. This team will not win shit while he is there.
wab
Mod

It’s temporary. Cousins and Brees are about to hit free agency.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I just can't see paying that much coin to someone with so little experience. I am just too practical. Tom Brady is at #15. Is there ever going to be a guy (outside of Brady) that will take less so the organization can spend more on other contributing players? It is all ego driven. Too bad.
YOGABBA
Rookie

Anything that makes more QBs go #1-7 is a good thing in my book.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Lol way overpaid. Teams will have film on him now and be able to scheme him. So happy we didn't trade for him.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I think he is going to be a decent qb, is he worthy of being the highest paid NFL player? Hell no. I think he will start for a lot of years and be a very respectable qb. But this shit is absurd.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

QB's will always be overpaid ... yes, it is the spot that makes the offense go, and if you get it wrong you pay dearly (see History of Chicago Bears QB's for many examples of getting it wrong) ... fair or not, that is just the way it is

the Patriots got so lucky with Brady ... not only is he the greatest, but gave money back to ensure the team is competitive ... I don't see anyone else even sacrificing as much as a pack of gum in their quest to get everything they can

players are selfish mercenaries for the most part, which is why it is so so important that when you have a team ready to make that championship run, you take advantage of it because that window of opportunity is generally small

unless you're the Patriots

do the 49ers have enough $$$ to actually build the support around Garrapolo? I guess we'll see ... because he is not going to be able to do it all himself ... nobody is ... so the need to build the support structure for your high dollar QB is more vital than some teams are smart enough to realize
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:I just can't see paying that much coin to someone with so little experience.
With the rookie pay scale now in place, a team would've been better off spending a first round pick on a quarterback and spending that money on other positions to surround the QB.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Wounded Bear
MVP

Great to pay a QB that type of money until you figure out the contract has depleted the team of talent at key positions. I wonder how many GM's around the league read this news and put their face in their hands. It's irresponsible for the Niners to do this to themselves, but the ripple impact to the rest of the league in regard to negotiating with their own QB's will definitely be felt.

If we felt that John Lynch was a shrewd negotiator because the Trubisky draft day trade, this contract should help us get a better idea of his true capabilities as an NFL GM. I guess what I'm really trying to say is, "fuck John Lynch."
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

They guy has started less than half a season. NFL defenses have not had the opportunity to adjust to his tendencies yet. The 49'ers really have NO IDEA how good he is yet. His mechanics are not great. I don't see them getting value out of this contract. I think he will be good, but not $27M/yr good.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Fortune favors the bold!
malk
Head Coach

I feel like I should write a long post on this :P

Garrapolo is an idiot. When he's 40 will he look back and think thank fuck I've got $100m rather than $75m (I'm pulling tax numbers out of my arse here) or will he think, damn, a ring would be nice.

And good god, Brady hasn't lost a penny. If he took more salary he likely wouldn't have the rings. Without the rings he doesn't get the endorsements.

Garrapolo and the others aren't greedy, they're stupid.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:I feel like I should write a long post on this :P

Garrapolo is an idiot. When he's 40 will he look back and think thank fuck I've got $100m rather than $75m (I'm pulling tax numbers out of my arse here) or will he think, damn, a ring would be nice.

And good god, Brady hasn't lost a penny. If he took more salary he likely wouldn't have the rings. Without the rings he doesn't get the endorsements.

this is maybe one of your worst takes ever.

careers in the nfl can end at any time. jimmy should have took a shitty contract to stick around in NE, and then what, maybe after a few years when brady retires and mcdaniels is running the place into the ground, maybe mcdaniels trades him to the browns, and he never gets a decent shot at all. or maybe he gets some garbage time snaps, hurts his neck and never plays again.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:It’s temporary. Cousins and Brees are about to hit free agency.
Do you think Brees will get paid like that at 39 years old?
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote:
wab wrote:It’s temporary. Cousins and Brees are about to hit free agency.
Do you think Brees will get paid like that at 39 years old?
On a one or two year deal? Absolutely.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:
malk wrote:I feel like I should write a long post on this :P

this is maybe one of your worst takes ever.

careers in the nfl can end at any time. jimmy should have took a shitty contract to stick around in NE, and then what, maybe after a few years when brady retires and mcdaniels is running the place into the ground, maybe mcdaniels trades him to the browns, and he never gets a decent shot at all. or maybe he gets some garbage time snaps, hurts his neck and never plays again.
Fair enough it was a knee jerk post (deeply awful day at work, strangely enough because coworkers aren't as militant as me on strike action!). Stupid isn't a great way of putting it...

Still, I'm not suggesting that he should have stuck around in New England. I think he would be better served getting a massive, life changing, more money than anyone who isn't a tit could ever spend, guaranteed contact. Say $45m guaranteed on a five year deal totalling $80-90m.

A) I think he could do that and make up some of the difference in endorsements if he helps the 49ers back into relevancy.
B) It must be rubbish to scrape around trying to get wins with a shit team. If you're eating that much of the cap you'll be playing on a worse team overall. What's the marginal benefit of million 50 over million 49? I'm looking to take a pretty significant pay cut to move to 3 days a week from 5 but it's absolutely worth it. I could also go the other way to work 10-12 hour days with more pressure for another 25-50% salary but fuck that sideways.

If you're an NFL QB on a long term contract you're rich as fuck or even richer as fuck. Given that I'll take the higher percentage shot at a ring.

And that's why Garropolo is stupid.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

UOK
Site Admin

malk wrote: If you're an NFL QB on a long term contract you're rich as fuck or even richer as fuck. Given that I'll take the higher percentage shot at a ring..

He's already got a title ring. Now he's a franchise QB and the 49ers have a ton of cap space. Oh, and that insane contract. To say it's "stupid" is a pretty poor choice of words, but I respect the thinking outside of the box.
GSH
MVP

defences having tape or not, the guy is 5-0 as a NFL starter, we all would have given our hind teeth to sign him before trubs got drafted and there is not exactly a wealth of good QB's around for the 49ers right now.

Nothing surprising about the contract and making him highest paid is more a reflection on the QB market right now than it is some recognition of him being perceived as elite. Its a supply and demand market and his agent earned his 10%.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think Garrapolo will do just fine ... if the Bears had an opportunity for him last year at the bargain markdown the 49ers got him for, I would have been all in on them pulling the trigger (then the Bears could have gone defense rather than trading up for Trubisky)

my issue was at the time the Bears had a chance for him, the Patriots wanted a 1st and 3rd round pick and at that time the Bears had too many other holes and spending those draft picks would have been a luxury purchase when the Bears were still in need of basic essentials

the 49ers got a steal when they acquired him this year but are now making up for that by paying premium rates to keep him, which kind of puzzles me ... of all the QB's available or who are going to be available, I didn't think it would be Garrapolo setting the gold standard
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

GSH wrote:defences having tape or not, the guy is 5-0 as a NFL starter, we all would have given our hind teeth to sign him before trubs got drafted and there is not exactly a wealth of good QB's around for the 49ers right now.

Nothing surprising about the contract and making him highest paid is more a reflection on the QB market right now than it is some recognition of him being perceived as elite. Its a supply and demand market and his agent earned his 10%.
I don't know how winning 5 games for a team warrants being the highest paid QB/player in the NFL. I get that good QBs are a precious commodity, but this seems like a crazy over-reaction (by Lynch) to pay him this type of cash with limited sampling of what he can do. Heavily incentive laced contract that pays your QB handsomely if he performs well over a season, okay, but giving away the farm, that's a truly a head-scratcher.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:Fortune favors the bold!

a fortune is what Garrapolo has ... guaranteed

Jimmy G gets $48.7 million fully guaranteed at signing
George Carlin
Seat Daddy
Rookie

Jimmy Garoppolo deal:‬
‪Signing bonus: $7 million.‬
‪Guaranteed roster bonus: $28M‬
‪2018 base salary: $6.2M (gtd)‬...
‪Workout bonus: $600K‬
‪Per-game roster bonus: $800K‬
‪Year 1 total: $42.6M‬
$74.1M injury guarantee already kicked in.‬
‪2019 bass salary: $17.2M, $7.5M of which is guaranteed at signing.‬
2019: Workout bonus: $600K‬
‪For 2019, will make $18.6M for a 2-year total of $61.2M - $10M more than he would have received if he had been franchised two straight times.‬
‪2020 bass salary: $23.8M, $15.7M of which is guaranteed for injury. ‬
If 49ers wanted, could cut him before April 1, 2020 and he would have made $61.2M and been a free agent.‬
2020 Workout bonus: $600K‬
At end of three seasons, he walks away with $86.4M.‬
‪2021: $24.1M base salary‬
2021 Workout bonus: $600K‬
If he makes it to NFC Championship game or is first- or second-team All Pro, then a $7.5M injury guarantee kicks in.‬
‪2022: $24.2M base salary‬
‪Workout bonus: $600K‬
‪Total is $137.5M.

Deal is 'front loaded' and 'cap friendly' to the 49ers
You can't go forward if you're always looking back.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

good for Jimmy. I think he is going to be really good. Lynch is doing a really good job.
malk
Head Coach

How is that front loaded or cap friendly? It's virtually a flat contract with a bit more in Y1 and a bit less in Y2.

Wounded Bear
MVP

malk wrote:How is that front loaded or cap friendly? It's virtually a flat contract with a bit more in Y1 and a bit less in Y2.
I'm confused on that one as well. Cap friendly is a back loaded contract to a player who will never see the end of that contract. $27 million is never cap friendly.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yeah, maybe not cap friendly, but the final two years are not guaranteed and essentially team options.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:yeah, maybe not cap friendly, but the final two years are not guaranteed and essentially team options.
Exactly, if he busts they can get out of it without a big hit after a few seasons.
Richie
MVP

Shitty situation. Jimmy G had all of the leverage. He could have forced them to tag him, and then they're stuck paying him 25 mil. Potentially opening up a Cousins situation.

Playing him the last month of the year could have cost them some money.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:Shitty situation. Jimmy G had all of the leverage. He could have forced them to tag him, and then they're stuck paying him 25 mil. Potentially opening up a Cousins situation.

that last part might be true, but the flipside is playing him those last 5 games showed them they may very well have their guy for the future ... sure, it was a small sample size but they went 5-0 with Garapolo when that same group of scrubs didn't accomplish much of anything before Garapolo got there
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Richie wrote:Shitty situation. Jimmy G had all of the leverage. He could have forced them to tag him, and then they're stuck paying him 25 mil. Potentially opening up a Cousins situation.

That last part might be true, but the flipside is playing him those last 5 games showed them they may very well have their guy for the future ... sure, it was a small sample size but they went 5-0 with Garapolo when that same group of scrubs didn't accomplish much of anything before Garapolo got there
yeah, and it got him some very much needed live game experience that can be built on. it would have been a horrible move to sit him all year in an effort to nickle and dime him, because that is very much what it obviously would have been to all parties involved.