Offensive Linemen Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Connor Williams

- Honestly I think Williams is really good like top 10 good. He is the right size, has plenty of strength, moves exceptionally well, aggressive, and technically sound. Other then a MCL injury he is almost unblemished. iI don't see how people rate him as a late first.

Connor Williams Report

2016 Notre Dame

2017 West Virginia
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

definitely has the talent to go high.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm starting to wonder if we are thinking swing OT/future RT with our 2nd round pick...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Adipost
MVP

Since everybody is so obsessed with trying to cut Josh Sitton, what aboot C/G?

James Daniels, C, Iowa
Daniels is a very athletic and technically proficient center. In the run game, he's extremely quick and effective on reach blocks and second-level blocks. I'm amazed by his ability to stay attached with his hands while he re-works his foot positioning. In pass pro, he plays with outstanding knee bend and balance. He shoots his hands quickly and can anchor against power as well as redirect vs. counters. He's very aware. Daniels is one of the best center prospects I've evaluated in the last five years.

Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia
Wynn was an undersized left tackle for the Bulldogs; he projects as a starting guard at the next level. In the run game, he is sudden out of his stance and can roll his hips on contact, generating movement at the point of attack. His hand strength is outstanding. He's very effective as a puller because of his ability to redirect and cover up linebackers in space. In pass protection, he keeps his hands tight and he's a natural knee-bender. He will lunge and whiff on rare occasions, but he's usually patient and stays on balance. He is very aware of blitzers (see: him vs. Minkah Fitzpatrick in the national title game). Wynn has some previous experience at guard and I believe he has Pro Bowl ability at that position.

Billy Price, C, Ohio State
Price was a four-year starter for the Buckeyes. He played both guard and center during his career. He was a very dominant run blocker while lining up at center in 2017. He has quick feet and a very powerful base. He latches on and flashes the upper torque to rag-doll opposing defenders. He isn't a great knee-bender, but once he gets his hands on you, he stays attached. He does struggle with balance at the second level. He gets overly aggressive and ends up on the ground too often. In pass protection, he can anchor easily against power rushers and he's very aware vs. twists and stunts. Overall, I love his strength, toughness and position flexibility. He's not an elite athlete, but he's a Day 1 starter at either guard or center. — Daniel Jeremiah

Will Hernandez, G, UTEP
Four-year starter at left guard and the most highly-decorated offensive linemen in UTEP history. Hernandez possesses a rare combination of power, balance, and athletic ability. He is a plus run blocker with the anchor and footwork to handle himself in pass protection as well. Though he lacks height and length teams would like, it shouldn't hurt his stock much. Hernandez should be able to step in as an immediate starter with a high ceiling — Zierlein
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:Connor Williams

- Honestly I think Williams is really good like top 10 good. He is the right size, has plenty of strength, moves exceptionally well, aggressive, and technically sound. Other then a MCL injury he is almost unblemished. iI don't see how people rate him as a late first.

Connor Williams Report

2016 Notre Dame

2017 West Virginia

His measurements at the combine are going to be critical to his draft stock. Lance Zierlein seems to think that Williams has short arms and would likely need to move inside. Others think he is light in the ass end.

After watching every snap he played at Texas the last three years - including starting Day 1 as a true freshman - I think he's an incredible technician with a mean streak that OL coaches pray for.

He's going to be a great player for someone.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I certainly wouldn't be averse to taking someone on Day 2 to play inside, but I believe the Bears want to give Jordan Morgan every opportunity to compete at LG. (He's got the work ethic and football character to improve, and bringing in Harry Hiestand to help him develop is a Good Thing [tm].) So I'm guessing any addition inside would be a Day 3 value pick — someone who slides to Round 4 or 5 that they feel is too good a value to pass up.

I do like several guys at OT — Martinas Rankin, Tyrell Crosby, Jamarco Jones — that appear to be good Day 2 value. However, these guys often get pushed up in the draft due to scarcity. While I personally wouldn't take an OT in this draft at #8, I'd be open to them from about pick #20 on. If one falls to #39, I'd certainly be happy.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

thunderspirit wrote:I certainly wouldn't be averse to taking someone on Day 2 to play inside, but I believe the Bears want to give Jordan Morgan every opportunity to compete at LG. (He's got the work ethic and football character to improve, and bringing in Harry Hiestand to help him develop is a Good Thing [tm].) So I'm guessing any addition inside would be a Day 3 value pick — someone who slides to Round 4 or 5 that they feel is too good a value to pass up.
i forgot all about, jordan morgan. did we keep him on our practice squad last year because i don't remember seeing him there?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

he got red shirted on IR.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

On some level, it would make sense to draft a RT (or Nelson if you think he can play there) high, insert him into Sitton's LG spot for a year and see what happens with Massie when his contract runs out and the end of the year. That way, you already have a replacement in the program with game experience and you can move him to his more appropriate spot if Massie leaves. Now OTs don't necessarily make good OGs, but sometimes it works and we have a hole there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I'm legit starting to wonder if Nelson even makes it out of the top 5. League types are already calling him the best offensive lineman (not just guard, but lineman) they've ever scouted. Ever.

BUT... they said that about Robert Gallery once too.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Robert Gallery!!!!

man, i blame the raiders for that one. he had 3 different head coaches his first four years, and four different offensive line coaches. i will go to my grave believing the raiders ruined him.
YOGABBA
Rookie

3 out of 3 of Pace's first round picks have been high athletic upside picks.

2 out o 3 of Pace's second round picks have been solid contributors to one of the lines.

Should history be our guide, we won't be drafting Nelson with the #8.
Last edited by YOGABBA on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WagonForce
MVP

wab wrote:I'm legit starting to wonder if Nelson even makes it out of the top 5. League types are already calling him the best offensive lineman (not just guard, but lineman) they've ever scouted. Ever.

I don't think he'll be there at #8, but I guess we'll see how the rest of the process plays out leading up to the draft.

The hype around Nelson only seems to be growing.
G08
Hall of Famer

Ummm..... I'd draft Quenton Nelson to play OT with these fucking numbers!

8. #NotreDame G Quenton Nelson
Height: 6-5
Weight: 325
Hand: 10 3/8
Arm: 33 6/8
Wingspan: 82 5/8

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:Ummm..... I'd draft Quenton Nelson to play OT with these fucking numbers!

I told you man. Unfortunately he won't make it out of the top 5 at this point.
Adipost
MVP

G08 wrote:Ummm..... I'd draft Quenton Nelson to play OT with these fucking numbers!

Are those his official measurements? What’s the minimum arm length for an OT? 33?
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:

Are those his official measurements? What’s the minimum arm length for an OT? 33?
Pulled from the combine today, yes.

It varies but 33" for me is the absolute minimum for an OT. This dude is around 34" so I'm more than fine with it. Curious to see his lateral agility.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:I'm legit starting to wonder if Nelson even makes it out of the top 5. League types are already calling him the best offensive lineman (not just guard, but lineman) they've ever scouted. Ever.

Jonathan Cooper.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Gallery in college was a beast. He made Erasmus James look bad, and James was good.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I still see QN as a guard but it doesn't matter becuase the Quenton Nelson debate is reminding me of Leonard Williams debate. We spent all off-season arguing the value of an inside player only to have him drafted in front of us anyway
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Nelson just blasted through 35 reps at the combine. His legend is growing.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Nelson just blasted through 35 reps at the combine. His legend is growing.

Conversely, human-mountain Orlando Brown could only lift 14.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Nelson just blasted through 35 reps at the combine. His legend is growing.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Orlando Brown just ran a 5.86 after putting up 14 reps yesterday. What a terrible showing for the Sooner.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Also looked like garbage in the drills. Why did he agree to go to the combine?
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

Brian O'Neill (my #1 OT) just ran a freaking 4.78 40. And 22 reps on the bench isn't shabby.

I'm also keeping an eye on Wyatt Teller as a guy the Bears should look at as a potential/future replacement for Sitton.
wab
Mod

Kolton Miller is moving himself up into the teens as well.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:Also looked like garbage in the drills. Why did he agree to go to the combine?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Joe Noteboom (one of "my guys") has looked pretty good. I thought he could be a Day 3 steal. He's showing his athleticism off, which might not see him get there.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: