My post-combine mock

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Hematite
Player of the Month

The stars were aligned for the Chicago Bears on this draft day. There were a lot of rumors flying around about teams trading up for their QB and luckily, Pace and Co. happened to be in prime position to benefit. In this draft, Buffalo moved up to the #8 spot to secure their future QB in Josh Rosen. The actual trade is a follows:

Chicago sends:
1st round, pick 8- 1400 pts

and receives:
1st round, pick 22 - 780 pts
2nd round, pick 21 -370
2nd round, pick 24 - 350
3rd round, pick 32 - 116

With Buffalo desperate for their QB and not willing to part with their #1 pick (1st round pick 21), they are willing to take a hit on the trade chart values of roughly an early 3rd round pick. ESPN immediately begins to praise Pace for learning from last years supposed debacle with Lynch/49ers. Little do they know, its just the beginning for Pace as he is about to knock it out of the ball park with this years draft!!

(Although I really like TE Gisecki in the later parts of the 2nd round, I just couldn't draft him knowing that Nagy likes to run most of his offense with 1 TE sets....Shaheen, you better step up)

(Big Board: Blearcher Report)

22: R1P22
LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH

The ultimate swiss army knife for Fangio. Knocks on him mainly point to his situational awareness but he's only 19. When I was 19, my situational awareness was limited to where I was gonna party that night. This guy is an athletic freak of nature and if he learns to rush the QB effectively, he will be all-pro material. Pace can't believe he is still on the board!!

39: R2P7
WR DJ MOORE
MARYLAND

Hello world, meet Stefon Diggs 2.0. Although he is projected as a slot receiver early, he has the potential to line up anywhere. His style was made for Nagy's offense.

53: R2P21
CB CARLTON DAVIS
AUBURN

Davis is best working out of press coverage. He is compared to Richard Sherman, (who should be available soon BTW, Ryan), where both like to use their strength on the line of scrimmage to disrupt WR routes. Side note: Wouldn't it be sweet if Mr Sherman could school this young man for a couple of years before retiring!!

56: R2P24
C JAMES DANIELS
IOWA

The Cody Whitehair at center experiment is officially over, barring injury of course. In comes Daniels, who should cement himself as the starter for years to come on Day 1.

96: R3P32
RB RASHAAD PENNY
SAN DIEGO STATE

Offers injury insurance without much drop off at RB for Howard and can fill in for punt/kick return duties as well.

105: R4P5
EDGE JOSH SWEAT
FLORIDA ST.

Injury concerns knock him down the draft a bit, but in round 4, his potential far outweighs the risks. When healthy, Sweat is an effective edge rusher, but will need time to develop and master his craft.

115: R4P15
LB DARIUS LEONARD
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE

Will fit perfectly as an ILB in Fangio's system. Should take over the other starting position with Trevathan and form a formidable duo.

145: R5P8
OT BRANDON PARKER
NORTH CAROLINA A&T

Has physical traits that NFL scouts love, but is inconsistent. Will need to be coached up, but can become a legit left tackle in the NFL if he continues to work his craft.

181: R6P7
TE DALTON SCHULTZ
STANFORD

Goodbye Sims, Hello Schultz. Cheaper alternative with massive potential. (Not sure why he was still available in the 6th round, but Pace is happy)

224: R7P6
WR EQUANIMEOUS ST. BROWN
NOTRE DAME

Another prospect that dropped with loads of potential but will need to hone his craft to become an effective WR at the next level. Possesses size and speed that NFL scouts love but struggles with press coverage and consistent effort.

For what its worth, this is my first ever Mock.... so be gentle!!
Umbali
MVP

I cant see any scenario in which Edmunds is there at pick 22

Although I can see teams trading up to get QBs, .....so we shall see lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Hematite
Player of the Month

Umbali wrote:I cant see any scenario in which Edmunds is there at pick 22

I can't either, lol. If Edmunds is the target I can't see Pace trading down and realistically hoping he is still there. But, if we're gonna dream, dream BIG!
wab
Mod

Hematite wrote:

I can't either, lol. If Edmunds is the target I can't see Pace trading down and realistically hoping he is still there. But, if we're gonna dream, dream BIG!
But that’s kinda not how mock drafts work.
cblaz11
MVP

Love the trade down, don't love the pick.

At 1 I'd look at Landry, McGlinchey, or Ridley.
Hematite
Player of the Month

McCblaz wrote:Love the trade down, don't love the pick.

I'm liking Landry more and more as I look into these players. I have a feeling he is going to move up the draft boards the closer we get to draft day.
Hematite
Player of the Month

wab wrote:
Hematite wrote:

But that’s kinda not how mock drafts work.
To be fair, I had no control over how the draft fell. If Pace traded down and Edmunds was still available, I'd imagine he'd be ecstatic!
Hematite
Player of the Month

NFL mock 2.0 has Edmunds falling to the exact spot (22nd pick) that I drafted him in my mock. Maybe it isn't as unrealistic as some think that Pace can trade down and still land Edmunds.

Getting an extra 2nd and 3rd for a trade down and still landing Edmunds would be icing on the cake!
EricTighe
MVP

Edmunds will not be there.

Why does everyone have St. James in round 7? This kid and his brothers have been training for the NFL since they were 5.
Don't understand it great kid with huge IQ that is a physical specimen. Prior to Junior year was talked about being a possible round 1 pick but becuase he has QB's for his last year that shouldn't be playing High School football much less Colege he drops? Confusing?
cblaz11
MVP

Hematite wrote:
McCblaz wrote:Love the trade down, don't love the pick.

I'm liking Landry more and more as I look into these players. I have a feeling he is going to move up the draft boards the closer we get to draft day.

I've been on board with this. If Landry came out as a Jr he would have been a top 10 pick..if not top 5. So he goes back to school, gets hurt, and now he drops into the 2nd round in a weak pass rusher class? I'm not buying it. When I watch his games(not highlights) his ability and flash jumps out. I watched all the pass rushers in a row, and he stands out.

He'll go top 15...Or...I'm an idiot and have no clue what I'm seeing. Both very possible..
cblaz11
MVP

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Show me one single game of Edmunds making plays like this. Impact plays...
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote:

Show me one single game of Edmunds making plays like this. Impact plays...
I'm sure you've watched enough games of his where he gets stuck on blocks and it costs his teams chunks of yardage on the ground. You won't see a lot -- if any -- of plays where he gets downhill and sticks a RB behind the LOS (to me, that stinks of "soft" -- but I won't call him that at this point).

The kid needs work, like they all do. I don't like him at 8 but if we traded down to 15-18 I'd be fine with him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"