2018 NFL Draft // Rolling Thread

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I like Nelson, but a top 10 guard is implausible no matter the talent. Also, there are several Guards scheduled to be a FA, who are well established, that would allow us to go in another direction at 8:

Xavier Su'a-Filo
Senio Kelemete
Jonathan Cooper
Andrew Norwell
Marcus Martin
Patrick Omameh
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Patrick Omameh
Get out.

:wink:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Patrick Omameh
Get out.
:wink:
Believe it or not, he's looked fairly good in Jacksonville.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

With how important/highly paid guards have become, I don't think it's all that improbable.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Are there any UFAs that we think can upgrade Bobbie Massie and allow us to use the #8 pick elsewhere?
There's a lot of bad out there (Greg Robinson and Bobby Hart) and pre-injured guys (Justin Pugh) but maybe a few guys who might fit the Pace "ascending player" mold.

Ulrick John, GNB (26 in May) — Colts 7th rounder in 2014. Had decent measurables back then. He's been on three different teams' practice squad.
James Hurst, BAL (26 last December) — UDFA in 2014 after breaking his leg. Pro day measurables were bad, but I thought he had potential as a senior and North Carolina.
Chris Hubbard, PIT (27 in April) — UDFA in 2013. Decent measurables. Has played all over the line with mediocre results.
Austin Pasztor, ATL (27 last November) — UDFA in 2012. Pretty good measurables. Has some starting experience with the Browns and has played some guard as well.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah... I think I throw money at Fuller, a speed WR, and a pass rusher in FA.

Taking my highest rated OL/RT in round 1, and BPA in round 2 (another WR perhaps).

wab
Mod

If Hiestand comes back, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Nelson or McGlinchey drafted at 8.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Don't like McGlinchey all that much, I think he's overrated and looks like he's strictly a RT in the NFL.

I like him as a RT prospect but I don't see any upside for him going to LT later in his career. I think Nelson is an elite guard prospect and I see McGlinchey has an above average RT prospect. Rather take the player that will be elite at his position (even if it's guard).
Last edited by DaSuperfan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Die Easy
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

staleystarch wrote:If the Bears go WR with pick 8 I prefer Cortand Sutton over Christian Kirk. I know there are some good sub 6 foot WR in the league, Antonio Brown just one example. Still, I prefer big WRs in the end zone. Cortland Sutton fits that bill.
Now that Nagy has come in and intends to run more spread I’ve changed my preference to Christian Kirk. Speed fits the new system more than a big guy with a big wingspan who can fight CBs for the ball. We’ll still have Shaheen close in in a crowded end zone.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Don't like McGlinchey all that much, I think he's overrated and looks like he's strictly a RT in the NFL.

I like him as a RT prospect but I don't see any upside for him going to LT later in his career. I think Nelson is an elite guard prospect and I see McGlinchey has an above average RT prospect. Rather take the player that will be elite at his position (even if it's guard).
I was hoping with some of the early season talk about him, he would be a top tier LT. He seems to have a delayed reaction time compared to others. That is how he gets beat up field by speed. Technique wise he is solid until he is beat. Physically he has an ideal frame. He moves well enough. But getting out of his stance he is a split second late to often.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

staleystarch wrote:
staleystarch wrote:If the Bears go WR with pick 8 I prefer Cortand Sutton over Christian Kirk. I know there are some good sub 6 foot WR in the league, Antonio Brown just one example. Still, I prefer big WRs in the end zone. Cortland Sutton fits that bill.
Now that Nagy has come in and intends to run more spread I’ve changed my preference to Christian Kirk. Speed fits the new system more than a big guy with a big wingspan who can fight CBs for the ball. We’ll still have Shaheen close in in a crowded end zone.
Kirk is my guy in R2. But doubt he gets that far. If we trade with Buffalo and get their 21-22 picks, I'd go for Landry and Kirk back to back.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Matt Miller's first mock of the season is out. He did 2 rounds. Had us taking:

Connor Williams OT Texas
DJ Moore WR Maryland

Watching tape on Moore gets me excited about him, he has the speed and playmaking ability the Bears will be looking for. I'm still on the fence about Connor Williams. He looks like he's got some short arms for an OT, we'll find out more during the combine measurements. He also seems like he has a lot to prove coming off an MCL injury. I think I would have preferred an edge rusher like Landry instead.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753 ... re=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never Die Easy
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top 5 WR's based on metrics/analytics
has a 30 second intro to skip past at, not just a youtube commercial...
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:

Interesting, but it was done way back in May, using 2016 production. Adding in 2017 ought to change the story significantly.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:

Interesting, but it was done way back in May, using 2016 production. Adding in 2017 ought to change the story significantly.
Dogs. I shoulda known better to check on the date.

Anywho, Gallup is listed in PFF as the top WR this past season for production. It'll be interesting to see where guys are ranked after this year is added in
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Player I keep seeing people talk about, and someone i really want to see at the Senior Bowl and combine is OLB/DE Marcus Davenport of UTSA.

The latest Stick to Football podcast has him as a top 15 pick and I've seen others talk about him as having a Bruce Irvin like rise leading up to the draft.

6'7" 255 pounds and ultra productive at UTSA. By the time April rolls around he may be in the running at #8.

From Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks ago:
You might have never heard of the guy I had to keep moving up. I mentioned UTSA edge rusher Marcus Davenport—a 6' 7" freak of a receiver-turned-pass rusher—a few weeks back. I didn’t have him in my early November mock. I put him at the end of the first round in the initial list I put together this time around, and then multiple execs told me he’s not getting out of the Top 15. I wound up putting him at 14, behind only Chubb among rushers, and Davenport clearly has a chance to rise higher.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

Trade down with the Bills and give me Landry and Kirk.

wab
Mod

I think Brian O'Neill is the first OT off the board. I'm upset that Kiper scooped me.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
Kirk is my guy in R2. But doubt he gets that far. If we trade with Buffalo and get their 21-22 picks, I'd go for Landry and Kirk back to back.
I agree. To be honest, barring an amazing combine and private workout I could not justify picking him at eight either. Even Ridley may be a stretch there too.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:Image
I'll be breathing into the brown paper bag again if we take Ridley at #8. I'm just not ready for another WR in the first round. Why Pace would want to emulate Matt Millen is beyond me.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:Trade down with the Bills and give me Landry and Kirk.
I don't see it happening but I think there are pretty good odds that the Bills don't find a trade partner before our pick and there's a QB they like remaining when it comes around. I can't find a player that I like enough in our situation at #8 so that's my hope beyond hope right now.

For the record I see no way that Pace pulls the trigger on that trade.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
G08
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:
G08 wrote:Trade down with the Bills and give me Landry and Kirk.
I don't see it happening but I think there are pretty good odds that the Bills don't find a trade partner before our pick and there's a QB they like remaining when it comes around. I can't find a player that I like enough in our situation at #8 so that's my hope beyond hope right now.

For the record I see no way that Pace pulls the trigger on that trade.
I just don't love anyone at 8 and I'm of the opinion that you don't draft guards or right tackles with a top 8 pick. I guess we could take a corner there.

Maybe we "reach" for a pass rusher (doubt Chubb will be there) at #8 and then take the best WR in round 2? Grab a RT in round 4?
Last edited by G08 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Strictly using Kiper's board and assuming I had to hold onto the #8 pick, I would take Roquan Smith and be totally happy with that.

If I could trade with Buffalo, then its Landry and Tarvarus Jackson.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

If the Kiper draft fell that way I'd go Landry straight up at 8. Look up his 2016 tape when he was healthy. He was a dominant edge rusher.

Right now, Landry is my top guy for the Bears in R1.
Never Die Easy
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yogabba mentioned this in another thread, but he brought up a good point about what trends we've seen in Ryan Pace's drafts.

We've no indication of what he'll do with something that's not a top 10 pick, but his three Day 1 selections have all had elite traits for their position. While I don't anticipate it in 2018, both 2016 (Leonard Floyd) and 2017 (Mitchell Trubisky) also established that he'll move up in the draft to get the guy he wants.

Day 2 has usually been reserved for linemen (Eddie Goldman and Hroniss Grasu in 2016, Cody Whitehair and Jonathan Bullard in 2017). 2018 saw him draft Adam Shaheen, another elite traits guy; whether that's a sign of Day 2 things to come or not remains to be seen.

Day 3 appears to be Pace's day for defensive backs: Adrian Amos (2016), Deon Bush/Deiondre' Hall/DeAndre Houston-Carson (2017), and Eddie Jackson (2018). This is clearly a trend in my mind. An important secondary trend to note here is that each of his defensive back draftees has measured 6'0" or taller. Likewise, Day 3 is also when he takes running backs: Jeremy Langford (2015), Jordan Howard (2016), and Tarik Cohen (2017). There's no apparent overriding commonality there, although each did have a broad jump measurement of 118 inches (9'10"), which is one of the tests used to measure explosiveness. That's worth watching. I think it's a safe conclusion to expect the Bears to add a DB and RB in rounds 4-7.

Pace's late selections (Tayo Fabuluje in 2015, Daniel Braverman in 2016, and probably Jordan Morgan in 2017) appear to be trying to find lightning in a bottle. Fabuluje had elite size, if not much else. Braverman had a really good 3-cone time and displayed excellent hands in college, though athletically he showed little promise otherwise. And Morgan, from a rather shallow draft, was a Division II player whom they believe has promise — I don't share their optimism, but I'll be glad to eat crow about that if he succeeds.

FWIW, when evaluating his draft record, I've said before that I consider most drafts to be between 150-175 players deep, give or take, and that anything beyond that point is a lottery ticket. So my evaluations are scored taking that into account.

2015: 5 selections through 5 rounds, .333 success rate (2/5) — Goldman, Amos
2016: 7 selections through 5 rounds, .571 success rate (4/7) — Floyd, Whitehair, Kwiatkoski, Howard; jury out on Bullard and Hall
2017: 5 selections through 5 rounds, .600 success rate (3/5) — Trubisky, Jackson, Cohen; jury still out on Shaheen and Morgan
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Looks like you can cross the top WRs off the list in R1-2 now with the signing of ARob and maybe Taylor Gabriel?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:Looks like you can cross the top WRs off the list in R1-2 now with the signing of ARob and maybe Taylor Gabriel?
Yeah, pretty much think their aggressiveness in FA shows that they are not overwhelmed over any of the prospects at 8 in the WR department.

The more this FA period shakes out, barring any trades for players or draft picks I think we can narrow down to 3 positions on day one. OL, LB, and CB.

Feel that we will be getting a OL player in the first furthering their commitment to set Trubisky up for success.

After securing OL, they will have addressed every position offensively of need. They will then add to position of need on defense. Think this will be BPA out of CB or LB with second.
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nf ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bears meeting with Chubb.