Is Danny Travathan on the way out?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Bears just used the 8th pick in the draft on an ILB, the #1 LB in the draft. The Bears also drafted an ILB "Iggy" in R4, the same round as another Pace draftee, Kwiatkowski. Have the Bears just said to Danny Travathan--who I understand has a contract that can pretty well end after this season if the Bears want it to--that his Chicago Bears days are numbered?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

What do you mean as far as, "on the way out?"

Do you mean during this offseason? During the season? End of year?

Don't think it would be a shock if this is his last season here. But don't think at all they would move on from him anytime soon. He is still productive.
Knuckles
Player of the Month

Not sure... they had to replace Freeman and that's Smith. Iggy is a depth guy and probably seen as a possible replacement I guess for DT or maybe he'll play on the outside ect. Travathan has been a petty solid player and maybe if anything (regarding his replacement) could be insurance if he wants too much cash or decides he wants to move on eventually.

I see them swapping guys out/around to keep em fresh and having Smith and DT able to run the D on the field it will only be a good situation for this D.

But, you never know man... Fangio I'm sure has plans for all of them and was the reason they drafted both players and got DT in the first place. I for one hope he's here for good I like him as a player and will be a huge part of this D this year+.
”Damn -- Khalil Mack had another strip sack?” Gruden asked rhetorically, shaking his head at the Oakland Raiders assistant coaches in his midst. “Are you ... kidding me?”
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't think DT is going anywhere this season. However come 2019, he could be cut for $1.25M in dead cap space (frees up $7.65M). I *could* see a youth movement where Smith and Kwiatkoski are starters and Iggy provides depth and we draft another kid in round 3-7.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

I think Iggy is probably the eventual replacement for DT, but not any time soon (pending health).

Like I've said before, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Kawasaki plays outside a lot. He's been effective rushing from a few different spots. Think Dan Skuta's best years under Fangio in SF. They are similar players.
SC Bear
Journeyman

Perhaps-one of these years the Bears need to be getting conditional draft choices and shying away from free agency. If we drafted well this year and next we will need to pay our own in two years with Mitch and then going forward. It maybe 2 or maybe 3 years but the time is coming.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

For the record, I like DT and think with he and Roquan, we'd have a really interesting ILB pair. I just don't know if they see something in DT that they don't like or if his salary is about to spike or what. And DT is only 28. I sure didn't see 2 ILBs in the first 4 rounds coming. And DT is only 28. It makes me wonder what they're thinking.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think Iggy was more of a value pick than an execution on a deliberate strategy. Certainly it would nice if a fourth rounder (even if he is a great value in rd 4) can replace an expensive starter but... I hope he’s not betting on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xyt in the discord chats
GSH
MVP

probably his last season. the rooks need him there to learn from.
Umbali
MVP

I think DT needs to stay healthy. I think the Bears hope that he along with Roquan will be dual tackling machines that can blitz. I think based on the fluid nature of NFL teams and the injuries that come along, it is way too early to worry about whether they plan on replacing him with any of the rookies they just drafted. If he is healthy he is worth the price tag.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:The Bears just used the 8th pick in the draft on an ILB, the #1 LB in the draft. The Bears also drafted an ILB "Iggy" in R4, the same round as another Pace draftee, Kwiatkowski. Have the Bears just said to Danny Travathan--who I understand has a contract that can pretty well end after this season if the Bears want it to--that his Chicago Bears days are numbered?
Mikefive wrote:For the record, I like DT and think with he and Roquan, we'd have a really interesting ILB pair. I just don't know if they see something in DT that they don't like or if his salary is about to spike or what. And DT is only 28. I sure didn't see 2 ILBs in the first 4 rounds coming. And DT is only 28. It makes me wonder what they're thinking.
I suppose if Kwiat or Ig really step up, the Bears could go younger/cheaper on Travathan.
I don't know if I'd hold my breath on either of those happening.
Also, if this team is ever going to be good, at some point they have to stop shedding talent almost as fast as they add it and get some net gains. Their best window is roughly 2019-2021. Retaining a not very young Prince makes me think maybe they understand this.
OTOH, ILB isn't a place where I'm a big fan of spending big $.

BTW, I absolutely thought 2 ILBs made sense. I didn't really want or expect one so early, because I don't believe in high picks on a low value position, unless you're talking Urlacher level freak specimen. But you had to have 1 and another was one of the most useful things you could do with a Day 3 pick. It seemed pretty likely to me that Timu and Anderson didn't excite people and weren't in long-term plans.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Always hurt is what they probably don't like about DT.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

according to the Bears, Trevathan is in good standing :

Bears excited about pairing Trevathan, Smith

it would be nice to see them as the inside dynamic duo wreaking havoc
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

This is an indictment on Kwit I believe. Good athlete but couldn't run the defense when Freeman/DT went out, neither could Christian Jones. Cost us a couple games last year, it was ugly when those guys had to make the calls. Breakdowns everywhere. Kwit, as much as I like him, should be a depth guy.

We are stacked with depth at ILB and OG/C, we won't be weak up the middle this year unless....drum roll....Goldman goes down. IMO, we should sign Hankins as we have no viable backup at NT. Jenkins is a turd.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote:We are stacked with depth at ILB and OG/C, we won't be weak up the middle this year unless....drum roll....Goldman goes down. IMO, we should sign Hankins as we have no viable backup at NT. Jenkins is a turd.
Usually when Goldman isn't in (hurt or otherwise), they play so much 4 man front that having a good backup NT is negligible.