Cigars

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Let's talk cigars.

Just recently I got into cigars and I figured with all of the esteemed gentlemen we have on here that I could learn from you guys and we can could have a fun chat.

I'm a noob and not in any position to claim knowledge.

What I have learned is that I like medium to medium-full. So far my favorites are Plascencia 149 then another one called My Father The Judge. There was another Plascencia I tried that was awesome and I can't remember the name.

Before I got back into this my previous brand was Arturo Fuente and then either the Don Carlos or the Anejo.

I ditched those for the 149 and Judge.

Then through trial and error I learned that a v-cut is better for me than a bullet cut or a straight cut. So now I'm going to get a v-cutter.

Does using matches instead of a lighter change the flavor of the cigar at all?
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Happy to see another fan of Cigars.
I have smoked cigars off and on for decades. I am currently back into them after a 10 year total smokeless time.
I enjoy a cigar with coffee or a dram of bourbon.
I found my earlier taste in cigars has changed from mild to medium, to more medium and full bodied sticks.
I enjoy Nicaraguan the most with Dominican and Honduran coming up next.

I recommend you keep a Cigar log book and write down your tasting notes. It will help you define your palate and refine your selections.

Placensia are great sticks. I really enjoy their Reserve 1898 Maduro. But I recently saw they may be discontinued.
I have smoked many of the brands out there and can give my opinion on them, if you like.
WARNING- You have gone down a Rabbit Hole and may never come out!

Some of the Brands I like, Alec Bradley, Ashton, Culture, Casa Magna, Don Pepin, Maria Mancini, Oliva, Abe Flores, Partagas, Pedomo, Brick House, Rocky Patel, Umnum, Balmoral Anejo XO, Drew Estates, Leonel Rare, AJ Fernandez, Arturo Feuntes Oscar Valladeres, Aging Room, Paradiso, West Tampa Tobacco Co., Macanudo, CAO, King of Ashes are all recent items from my Humidor.

I no longer care for Cuban cigars as the quality has dropped off as fast as their prices have risen. There was a day when I could buy a box Monte Cristos for about $100.

As for cutters, I use a Punch cut, Straight cut and a v/cutter. Depends on the cigar Vitola and my mood.

One major tip I can give is do not be overly impressed with the prices you pay. A $20 stick may not be near as good as a $3 or $4 sitck. Sometimes it is just hype and no substance.

Find what you like and smoke it. Everyone hates a label snob in a Lounge.

Find a vitolo you like. I started back when with corona and moved to Robusto and Toro being my preferred now. I do enjoy a Gordo or even a Coloso 6x60 now and then when I have a solid hour and a half to two hours to enjoy it.

Enjoy!

PS My wife does not like my cigars, but she enjoys when I smoke my pipe. Just not my preferred smoke.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
IE
Hall of Famer

I've tried to enjoy cigars many times, and have really had a great time going to a cigar bar with a couple of friends and getting into the scene... havind a nice slow smoke with a really high end port is what I like. The problem is the next day. No matter what, it tastes all day like someone shat in my mouth the night before. It is so unpleasant I've come to avoid the practice.

I can see why people like it a lot. But for me the unpleasantness tipped the scales away.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

I'm in no way an afficianado, I just go with what I like. I can't stand cigars that are like smoking a dry chicken bone or a bunch of rolled up maple leaves.

Deadwood (by Drew Estate) are my favorites. Specifically the Sweet Jane and Fat Bottom Betty. Crazy Alice and Leather Rose are also pretty good.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:10 pm I'm in no way an afficianado, I just go with what I like. I can't stand cigars that are like smoking a dry chicken bone or a bunch of rolled up maple leaves.

Deadwood (by Drew Estate) are my favorites. Specifically the Sweet Jane and Fat Bottom Betty. Crazy Alice and Leather Rose are also pretty good.
I like the Drew Estates Undercrown Maduro and can highlz recommend it.

Shadow
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:29 am I've tried to enjoy cigars many times, and have really had a great time going to a cigar bar with a couple of friends and getting into the scene... havind a nice slow smoke with a really high end port is what I like. The problem is the next day. No matter what, it tastes all day like someone shat in my mouth the night before. It is so unpleasant I've come to avoid the practice.

I can see why people like it a lot. But for me the unpleasantness tipped the scales away.
LOL, yes the dreaded dragon breath. Listerine mouth wash helps after a thorough brushing of the teeth. A strong cup of coffee helps it go away for me.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:51 am Happy to see another fan of Cigars.
I have smoked cigars off and on for decades. I am currently back into them after a 10 year total smokeless time.
I found my earlier taste in cigars has changed from mild to medium, to more medium and full bodied sticks.

I recommend you keep a Cigar log book and write down your tasting notes. It will help you define your palate and refine your selections.

Placensia are great sticks. I really enjoy their Reserve 1898 Maduro. But I recently saw they may be discontinued.
I have smoked many of the brands out there and can give my opinion on them, if you like.

Some of the Brands I like, Alec Bradley, Ashton, Culture, Casa Magna, Don Pepin, Maria Mancini, Oliva, Abe Flores, Partagas, Pedomo, Brick House, Rocky Patel, Umnum, Balmoral Anejo XO, Drew Estates, Leonel Rare, AJ Fernandez, Arturo Feuntes Oscar Valladeres, Aging Room, Paradiso, West Tampa Tobacco Co., Macanudo, CAO, King of Ashes are all recent items from my Humidor.

I no longer care for Cuban cigars as the quality has dropped off as fast as their prices have risen. There was a day when I could buy a box Monte Cristos for about $100.

As for cutters, I use a Punch cut, Straight cut and a v/cutter. Depends on the cigar Vitola and my mood.

One major tip I can give is do not be overly impressed with the prices you pay. A $20 stick may not be near as good as a $3 or $4 sitck. Sometimes it is just hype and no substance.

Find a vitolo you like. I started back when with corona and moved to Robusto and Toro being my preferred now. I do enjoy a Gordo or even a Coloso 6x60 now and then when I have a solid hour and a half to two hours to enjoy it.

Enjoy!

PS My wife does not like my cigars, but she enjoys when I smoke my pipe. Just not my preferred smoke.
This is gold. Thanks!

The log book is such a great idea. I had been saving the rings from the cigars so I remember which labels.

A rabbit hole is exactly what I need. I don’t have any “addictive” (I say this as a fun thing.) stuff except for lifting and the occasional game. I’m kind of addicted to my work at work and at home with investing so I’m a boring dude. Bears football too lol. I’m cool with a rabbit hole and my wife is awesome so no worries.

I have found a really nice lounge with a great staff and a good group of guys to shoot the shit with.

Now let’s talk humidors. Do I need one? If so, which one? How long will a cigar maintain in there? I’ve only just started looking at these. I’d want an electric one right so I don’t have to manually maintain it?

What about books?
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:44 pm
IE wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:29 am I've tried to enjoy cigars many times, and have really had a great time going to a cigar bar with a couple of friends and getting into the scene... havind a nice slow smoke with a really high end port is what I like. The problem is the next day. No matter what, it tastes all day like someone shat in my mouth the night before. It is so unpleasant I've come to avoid the practice.

LOL, yes the dreaded dragon breath. Listerine mouth wash helps after a thorough brushing of the teeth. A strong cup of coffee helps it go away for me.
This much I’ve learned.

Wash your hands with shampoo not soap. Then Listerine and drink coffee.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Love this discussion. Cohiba Blue has become my reasonably priced favorite. I get that one when I golf which is only a few times per year. So outside of that and the cigar bar downtown I got to every now and then I don’t smoke that often mainly for the next day mouth feel. Love it with a nice bourbon with an ice ball/square. Agree with Shadow get what you like not necessarily the pricey that’s how I’ve become with bourbon after hanging with “chasers” for a few years.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Shadow
Assistant Coach

BearsFanInMN wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:55 pm Love this discussion. Cohiba Blue has become my reasonably priced favorite. I get that one when I golf which is only a few times per year. So outside of that and the cigar bar downtown I got to every now and then I don’t smoke that often mainly for the next day mouth feel. Love it with a nice bourbon with an ice ball/square. Agree with Shadow get what you like not necessarily the pricey that’s how I’ve become with bourbon after hanging with “chasers” for a few years.
We could likely start a sub-forum just about Bourbon....
A good friend of mine is a Scotch guy, but I have him enjoying Bourbon now. He has yet to get me passed the, its okay stage, with Scotch. I will never say never though.

Shadow
Assistant Coach

I have recently had Buffalo Ten box press recommended and I have had about a half dozen. They are an enjoyable smoke and are a sub $10 stick. I got mine for 6 euros, whatever that is today in dollars. Smooth with a definite coffee and chocolate flavor. Also a trace of Baking spice toward the final third.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Last night's cigar was fantastic.

My Father La Opulencia which I paired with a Carmel Macchiato.

The cigar was amazing. It had the nicest burn and draw too.

The coffee was the weak spot. A cinnamon flavoring would've been better.

Before the game today I went with another Plasencia 149 and it worked as usual. Black coffee instead and it worked.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Enjoy!

This is gold. Thanks!

The log book is such a great idea. I had been saving the rings from the cigars so I remember which labels.

A rabbit hole is exactly what I need. I don’t have any “addictive” (I say this as a fun thing.) stuff except for lifting and the occasional game. I’m kind of addicted to my work at work and at home with investing so I’m a boring dude. Bears football too lol. I’m cool with a rabbit hole and my wife is awesome so no worries.

I have found a really nice lounge with a great staff and a good group of guys to shoot the shit with.

Now let’s talk humidors. Do I need one? If so, which one? How long will a cigar maintain in there? I’ve only just started looking at these. I’d want an electric one right so I don’t have to manually maintain it?

What about books?

Shadow
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Enjoy!

This is gold. Thanks!

What about books?
Keeping your labels is a great way to remember what you liked or even disliked. Paste them onto your page in your log book. I use a glue stick to do this. I started with a small diary type book with blank pages. I later created a tasting sheet for mysself and print them two sided on a half legal format. I bought a leather A5 size leather not book with a binder type holder. My page go in there and I carry this with me when I buy cigars.

Humidors...that is a tough one. I have used them but most are actually crap. They look pretty sitting on your desk, but they do not keep your cigars well. I switched a long time ago to food grade plasticware with a rubber seal in the lid and clasps on all four sides. Throw a Boveda 69% pack per 25 cigars and they stay perfect. (also makes a great treavel Humidor)Put a good quality humidity transmitter in each tupper. I have a 3 transmitter set with a base station. I recently grabbed a small wine refirigerator, desk top, with a glass door. The seal is all important. I do not even have it plugged in. LOL Cigars are best when kept at around 70 degrees F and 70% Humidity. I have found 65 to 69% humidity is more to my liking.

I cannot recommend anyy books, as I just use the web to find out all I could ever want to know about cigars. Origin, History, manufacture and tobacco strains.

Key things to know.

MM=Machine manufacture
HAM= Machine made and hand wrapped wrapper
TAF= is hand rolled short filler or also known as a Cuban Sandwhich
TAM= is all hand rolled Long Filler (This is your premium cigar) Even $2 sticks are made this way.

Learn your different leafs
Learn what the various Vitola are and their variants. Some countries call them by different names.

This all searchable on Google.

Shadow
Assistant Coach

Ending my night with a Plasencia 1898 Reserve Maduro paired with a dram of Four Roses Single Barrel and a Helles Beer. (Lager)
Was out to Dinner with friends and while they all had dessert I had a dram of Slyrs Single Malt 12 year Reserve. Was good, but holds no candle to Bourbon imo.

Shadow
Assistant Coach

As for lighting your cigar.

Matches are the original way, but remember to always burn off all of the sulfur before applying to your cigar. The burning sulfur will ruin your cigar. The absolute Aficiando way is to use a western cedar spill to light the stick, but who has thoe on hand.

Never use a Zippo lighter, regardless of how many times you have seen it in the movies. The burning Benzin fumes wil taint your cigar.

Butane is best, as it is odorless and flavorless. I prefer a single or dual jet flame butane lighter.

I actually have a butane dual jet insert for my favorite Zippo. I have quite a few Zippos I have collected over a lifetime. My local Brick and Mortar Cigar shops always offer me the choice of a box of matches or a butane jet lighter free with my purchase. As even the plastic jet butane lighters they give me are refillable, I have more lighters now than I have smoking places, so every spot has multiple lighters.

wab
Mod

Shadow wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:04 am As for lighting your cigar.

Matches are the original way, but remember to always burn off all of the sulfur before applying to your cigar. The burning sulfur will ruin your cigar. The absolute Aficiando way is to use a western cedar spill to light the stick, but who has thoe on hand.

Never use a Zippo lighter, regardless of how many times you have seen it in the movies. The burning Benzin fumes wil taint your cigar.

Butane is best, as it is odorless and flavorless. I prefer a single or dual jet flame butane lighter.

I actually have a butane dual jet insert for my favorite Zippo. I have quite a few Zippos I have collected over a lifetime. My local Brick and Mortar Cigar shops always offer me the choice of a box of matches or a butane jet lighter free with my purchase. As even the plastic jet butane lighters they give me are refillable, I have more lighters now than I have smoking places, so every spot has multiple lighters.
I need to break down and get a good lighter. I've burned (no pun intended) through a dozen cheap ones.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Tonight's pairing is a My Father La Gran Oferta and then this local wine my wife likes which is a blend of Merlot, Cabernet, Syrah, and Zinfandel that she got from a tasting. I know absolutely nothing about wine. This just seems like a good idea.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Last night's cigar was not for me. La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero.

This is where I'm stupid. I went to the Lounge and decided to pick my own which obviously I'm unqualified to do. The Oferta from the other day was just a derivative of another brand I like so that was a high percentage thing.

I reached on this one and failed. Too strong for my preference. Although I will say the burn was excellent (using matches and taking @Shadow 's advice about letting it burn for a second for lighting the cigar to avoid ruining it).
Shadow
Assistant Coach

My lighting ritual is a bit involved. Regardless of choice of fire, I toast the foot of the cigar first to ensure an even start. If done properly the flame never touches the cigar at all and the cigar is well lit with even ember across the face of the foot.

I really like the jet lighter for touching up the burn on the cigar while smoking. An uneven burn can ruin the flavor of a cigar, as the burn ratio of filler, to binder, to wrapper can get off track. Thus ruining the work of the Master Blender who created the stick in the first place.

I research new cigars before purchasing. I have been disappointed too many times be an impulse buy. When the Expert in the lounge recommends something, beware of a guy moving dead product. A great tobacconist can deduce a good stick for you if you tell him in detail what you look for in a cigar.

There is no such thing as a bad cigar, just a bad match of stick and smoker. What someone else likes may no be good for you. Like I have stated before, I personally like Medium to Full bodied cigars and I prefer Maduro or even Oscuro Wrappers. Very dark chocolate/coffee taste with a very strong rich smoke. Two of my friends prefer small thinner cigars with a very light wrapper. I have a box of cigars in my humidor just for them to smoke when we are together. This is also why I have Gin and Scotch in my bar as well. I drink bourbon, can sip a scotch if presented with it at friends, but I cannot stand Gin. (Wife loves a Gin and Tonic though)

UOK
Site Admin

I've smoked one cigar my entire life, when I was in college and it was like 20 degrees outside. Not my favorite, but it cracks me up that back in 2004-5 somebody could've driven around the campus of Butler university and witnessed a bunch of young dumbasses huddled in the cold smoking cigars and pretending to enjoy it.

Also this is one of my favorite Carlin bits:

Shadow
Assistant Coach

Smoking a cigar in the cold, rain, wind or snow is not a good idea. The location is 50% of the enjoyment. I am lucky to have a terrace off our second floor that has walls on 3 sides and a clear covered roof. My wonderful wife added sliding glass doors to the front. Also, there is a fire place added also. I have a wonderful all year smoking lounge at home. I also have a nice garden with a small garden house that has a nice porch. If the location, time or conditions are not right, you are doomed to have a bad experience. WAB I can recommend maybe revisiting a cigar again. Added maturity (age) and preparation could make you feel different about them.

Shadow
Assistant Coach

For those that like a milder smoke, I could recommend a Maria Mancini Especial (Robusto). Though milder than I like, it is an enjoyable cigar that I have now and again.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:47 pm I've smoked one cigar my entire life, when I was in college and it was like 20 degrees outside. Not my favorite, but it cracks me up that back in 2004-5 somebody could've driven around the campus of Butler university and witnessed a bunch of young dumbasses huddled in the cold smoking cigars and pretending to enjoy it.

Also this is one of my favorite Carlin bits:

:rofl:

That is a Carlin I had not seen before. Hilarious.