What will Poles do QB draft (Your opinion)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

In your opinion, will Poles draft QB inside top 10?

Yes (where does it happen?)
44%
No (includes any QB drafted after 10)
13%
Doesn't draft QB (Status Quo)
44%

Total votes: 48
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:50 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:21 pm

The son of the greatest player in NFL history (according to NFL Network) had this to say about Williams:

I like that some of his teammates are finally coming out to defend him.
I think that's huge for him. The rumor mill made it seem as if his teammates didn't love him and perhaps didn't go to his birthday party like Bo Callahan.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:53 pm

I think that's huge for him. The rumor mill made it seem as if his teammates didn't love him and perhaps didn't go to his birthday party like Bo Callahan.
Almost feels like some on this site hoped for the same thing.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Absolutely. The combine interviews are going to be a very exciting time. When do they get to do the draft pick visits is that after the combine? Gotta think they will meet with Williams as many times as permitted to figure this out.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:27 pm

Absolutely. The combine interviews are going to be a very exciting time. When do they get to do the draft pick visits is that after the combine? Gotta think they will meet with Williams as many times as permitted to figure this out.
I don't know. I don't think that's the way Poles uses them. Seems odd to me but seems like they tend to use those on later round /FA type guys.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:41 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:27 pm

I don't know. I don't think that's the way Poles uses them. Seems odd to me but seems like they tend to use those on later round /FA type guys.
I heard a rumor that Pace already met with Caleb secretly at a steakhouse, although the reservations were credited to a James McMahon so we'll never know for certain.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

What’s the verdict on this trade idea if we assume we’re taking Caleb #1?

Bears receive #2 and Washington receive Justin Fields, #9 and 2025 R1 pick?

Then take MHJ #2?

Feasible?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:50 pm What’s the verdict on this trade idea if we assume we’re taking Caleb #1?

Then take MHJ #2?

Feasible?
If we draft Caleb I am very interested in this as well. MHJ would make me very very happy.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:55 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:50 pm What’s the verdict on this trade idea if we assume we’re taking Caleb #1?

Then take MHJ #2?

Feasible?
If we draft Caleb I am very interested in this as well. MHJ would make me very very happy.
As much as I love Harrison Jr - I can't do this

The draft is just too good at WR.

Fields, #9 and ? I can do that - the ? cannot be a 1st
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m just trying to see what it would take to get Caleb and MHJ in this draft.
If it’s true that they’re both regarded as “generational” then I’ve got to think Poles would make an effort to get them.

Last year Texans traded with Arizona:
The Texans received # 3 and #105 picks
Arizona received #12 and #33 picks, plus a 2024 R1 pick and 2024 R3 pick.

How about Fields plus 9 plus 2025 R2 (Chicago not Carolina).
That’s like Fields (high second?) plus 2025 R2 to move up 6 places?
Chicago still have normal draft capital - just exchanging their 2025 R2 pick for Carolina’s.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:10 am I’m just trying to see what it would take to get Caleb and MHJ in this draft.
Don't spend too much time on that.

Read a good book or watch a movie you've always wanted to see.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:09 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:10 am I’m just trying to see what it would take to get Caleb and MHJ in this draft.

:lol: :thumbsup:

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Ok. I went and watched some MHJ highlights. I am now thinking of him in a Bears uniform.

Yep, back to dreaming up trade ideas for drafting MHJ.

I think I did it wrong?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:40 am

Ok. I went and watched some MHJ highlights. I am now thinking of him in a Bears uniform.

Yep, back to dreaming up trade ideas for drafting MHJ.

I think I did it wrong?
@Ditka’s dictaphone

It would be so amazing if that worked.

What do you guys think?

The Trade Down works because we get a star player in return. If we traded down to 2 or 3 and took MHJ instead, but with a substantially lower payout, is it worth it?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m not sure if you’re asking me, but I feel Poles is taking Caleb Williams with the number 1 pick unless there’s some unexpected red flag during interviews.

Assuming that happens, then I’d like to have Caleb and MHJ together in Chicago for 4+ years on rookie contracts.

On that basis I’m prepared to give up Fields plus a R2 2025 pick (we have 2) to trade up to 3 from 9 and then take MHJ at 3.
Relies on commandos not drafting MHJ :D

If Chicago go Caleb and Washington go Drake then I think Pats would be up for a trade which includes Fields.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Since 2016, the team with the #1 pick has ranked 19, 31, 25, 26, 31, 13, 25, 28, and 26 in scoring defense with only the '22 Panthers not in the bottom 10 (the '15 Rams also weren't in the bottom 10). While the Bears ended up 20th in points allowed and 12th in yards, they ranked #6 in scoring defense over the final 9 games (when the Montez era started). The Bears have D.J. Moore and one of the up and coming tight ends in Kmet. Besides the #1 pick, they have #9, which can be used to add another playmaker on either side of the ball. The OL has gotten stronger and should be even better when the Bears add a real center. They have a strong offensive coaching staff. So a rookie QB drafted at #1 would not be going into the usual dumpster fire of a team. If the Bears do pull the trigger on one, it may be end of Chicago as the graveyard of QBs.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There have been 58 Super Bowls. 37 have been won by 13 QBs. 21 of the past 32 have been won by 7 QBs: Aikman (3), Elway (2), Brady (7), Roethlisberger (2), Peyton (2), Eli (2), Mahomes (3). Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman and Mahomes = 21 victories. All these guys were first picks except for the outliers of Brady and Montana in the 6th and 3rd round, Roethlisberger (#6 or 7 in round 1?), and Mahomes at pick 10 of the first round. Yes, there's a lot that goes into winning it all but having the right QB is a big step in that direction. That's what Poles is having to consider.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Those are some important outliers mate.

Brady
Mahomes
Montana
Roethlisberger

I don’t know whether it’s fair to call them “outliers”.

What is “the right QB?”
What makes Russ Wilson (2 SBs not a first round pick) the right QB in Seattle and a total shitshow in Denver?

There are cogent arguments to justify either position.
Short answer is - it’s a crap shoot.

You might get lucky with a day 2 or 3 pick, you might draft a bust in round 1, your QB might need 3 seasons to figure it out or you might draft a superstar with the number 1 pick.

Just got to back the FO and the person they select.

wab
Mod

Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:09 pm There have been 58 Super Bowls. 37 have been won by 13 QBs. 21 of the past 32 have been won by 7 QBs: Aikman (3), Elway (2), Brady (7), Roethlisberger (2), Peyton (2), Eli (2), Mahomes (3). Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman and Mahomes = 21 victories. All these guys were first picks except for the outliers of Brady and Montana in the 6th and 3rd round, Roethlisberger (#6 or 7 in round 1?), and Mahomes at pick 10 of the first round. Yes, there's a lot that goes into winning it all but having the right QB is a big step in that direction. That's what Poles is having to consider.
There's a lot that goes into it. And only 3 of the 7 were #1 overall picks.

- Aikman was pretty bad in his first season and didn't win a super bowl until year 4.
- Elway didn't win a super bowl until his 9th year.
- Roethlisberger managed his way to a super bowl in his second year in 2005 by throwing for under 200 yards per game. He was much better in 2008.
- Brady is the GOAT, so there's that.
- Peyton was in his 9th year before he won a championship, and much like Elway before him, he had the rep of a guy who couldn't get over the hump.
- Eli won a championship in his 4th year even though he only averaged 200 yards per game and threw a league high 20 interceptions. He was better in 2011...when he was 30.
- Mahomes is another generational player

Two things are certain. The first is that you statistically have a much better chance at making the playoffs with a #1 overall pick. However, without a generational player, things very much have to go your way once you get there. Secondly, you almost always have to have patience.

None of this is really an argument for or against either Fields or Willaims (of Maye or whoever). Get to the playoffs and then try to make something happen.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:23 pm Those are some important outliers mate.

Brady
Mahomes
Montana
Roethlisberger

I don’t know whether it’s fair to call them “outliers”.

What is “the right QB?”
What makes Russ Wilson (2 SBs not a first round pick) the right QB in Seattle and a total shitshow in Denver?

There are cogent arguments to justify either position.
Short answer is - it’s a crap shoot.

You might get lucky with a day 2 or 3 pick, you might draft a bust in round 1, your QB might need 3 seasons to figure it out or you might draft a superstar with the number 1 pick.

Just got to back the FO and the person they select.
Outliers only in regards to not being 1st rounds or #1 if picked in the first. There is no formula for picking the right QB in regards to draft position. In '82, the Colts took Art Schleister one pick before Mad Mac, a fortuitous piece of drafting by the Bears and the last time they had any major QB success with a drafted QB.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:39 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:09 pm There have been 58 Super Bowls. 37 have been won by 13 QBs. 21 of the past 32 have been won by 7 QBs: Aikman (3), Elway (2), Brady (7), Roethlisberger (2), Peyton (2), Eli (2), Mahomes (3). Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman and Mahomes = 21 victories. All these guys were first picks except for the outliers of Brady and Montana in the 6th and 3rd round, Roethlisberger (#6 or 7 in round 1?), and Mahomes at pick 10 of the first round. Yes, there's a lot that goes into winning it all but having the right QB is a big step in that direction. That's what Poles is having to consider.
There's a lot that goes into it. And only 3 of the 7 were #1 overall picks.

- Aikman was pretty bad in his first season and didn't win a super bowl until year 4.
- Elway didn't win a super bowl until his 9th year.
- Roethlisberger managed his way to a super bowl in his second year in 2005 by throwing for under 200 yards per game. He was much better in 2008.
- Brady is the GOAT, so there's that.
- Peyton was in his 9th year before he won a championship, and much like Elway before him, he had the rep of a guy who couldn't get over the hump.
- Eli won a championship in his 4th year even though he only averaged 200 yards per game and threw a league high 20 interceptions. He was better in 2011...when he was 30.
- Mahomes is another generational player

Two things are certain. The first is that you statistically have a much better chance at making the playoffs with a #1 overall pick. However, without a generational player, things very much have to go your way once you get there. Secondly, you almost always have to have patience.

None of this is really an argument for or against either Fields or Willaims (of Maye or whoever). Get to the playoffs and then try to make something happen.
And look at the teams they had around them.

Bradshaw was receiving the snap from Mike Webster, handing off to Franco Harris and throwing to Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, all Hall of Famers, and had the famous Steel Curtain defense.

Aikman had Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin, both in the Hall of Fame, amongst a host of other quality players like Jay Novacek and Moose Johnston. I seem to recall every member of the starting offense during those dynasty years made the Pro Bowl at least once except for Alvin Harper.

Eli Manning was a mediocre QB with a career passer rating of 84.1 and a career high of 93.6 for any season yet he won two championships because of the team around him. Roethlisberger also won because of the team around him; his numbers in those two championship seasons weren't anything special (2,385 and 3,301 yards passing) and his first Super Bowl performance was dire (9/21 for 123 yards and 2 INT with a 22.6 passer rating).

Even Mahomes wouldn't be celebrating winning yet another Super Bowl this year if it wasn't for the Chiefs' defense which largely carried the team all season.

Having a great team matters just as much as having a great QB.

To be a perennial contender you really need both.