2023-2024 Season - Welcome to the Bedard era

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kind of excited about this season. Not expecting great things, but possible playoff appearance would be nice. I like the vets they brought in to protect Bedard and think they can do some things. Always hated Corey Perry, but now that he is a Hawk, love the man.
karhu
Head Coach

Love those two assists, too, eh?

Perry, Foligno, Vlasic, and that kid from BC, all on the board in a 4-2 season-opening win. It's really happening.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I loved Bedard's aggressiveness. 7 shots in the first period. The dude has a wicked wrister. I told a co-worker they would win. she watched too much pre-season and was down on them.

I think they have a chance to be decent this year. Playoffs as a low seed.

Perry looked pretty damn good as well. Mrazek had a helluva game.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bedard with his first goal on a follow up play coming around the net. He kept his composure when the Rat, Marchand was trying to throw him off his game. This kid is going to be good.

Tough to win back to backs on the road. Bruins are the better team.

Hawks goalies have looked good in these 2 games. Like Dickinson protecting his teammate. He got a few good shots in.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bedard is red hot at the moment. He is just getting more confident through every game. It is going to be fun to watch him mature, get stronger and take over the league.

✅The youngest player in Blackhawks history to record a multi-goal game
✅The 3rd-youngest player in
@NHL
history to record a 4-point game
✅The fourth Blackhawks rookie over the past 40 years to score multiple goals in consecutive games
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, so far this team can't put it together. They have yet to win back to back games. Bedard has been good and inconsistent. Should be expected of a rookie on a bad team.

This Corey Perry shit is interesting. I was hoping for a big impact from him. I got it, just in the wrong way.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bedard's amazing goal last night, a shot which hasn't been made many times. Nicknamed The Michigan:

Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 pm Bedard's amazing goal last night, a shot which hasn't been made many times. Nicknamed The Michigan:

Fucking amazing. Every other Michigan I've seen has been off the stick of someone curling around the goal or heading straight down the side of the crease. Bedard was moving quickly away from the goal when he scored his. It was almost a no-look shot.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:13 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:33 pm Bedard's amazing goal last night, a shot which hasn't been made many times. Nicknamed The Michigan:

Fucking amazing. Every other Michigan I've seen has been off the stick of someone curling around the goal or heading straight down the side of the crease. Bedard was moving quickly away from the goal when he scored his. It was almost a no-look shot.
So, is he becoming the MJ of the Hawks?
karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:17 pm
karhu wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:13 pm

In terms of his broader impact? Yes. He's playing a different game than everyone else. So maybe the Jack Nicklaus of the Hawks, too.

I almost said that the Larry Bird of the Hawks might be more appropriate, but a single player just can't turn a hockey team around, any more than one guy can turn a football team around.

It also bears mentioning that Trevor Zegras did the same thing, about the same way, on the same night. Still amazing, both of 'em.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:48 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:17 pm

In terms of his broader impact? Yes. He's playing a different game than everyone else. So maybe the Jack Nicklaus of the Hawks, too.

I almost said that the Larry Bird of the Hawks might be more appropriate, but a single player just can't turn a hockey team around, any more than one guy can turn a football team around.

It also bears mentioning that Trevor Zegras did the same thing, about the same way, on the same night. Still amazing, both of 'em.

Not as pretty as Bedard's but still another Michigan. Hopefully one day we're talking about him as a Gordy Howe or Bobby Hull or one of the other greats.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bedard 2 goals last night and the game winner in OT. That wrister was wicked. Got a kick out of the guy actually throwing a few checks last night.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I was excited when the Blackhawks drafted him, and he has been incredible ... and the poise he has as a rookie being the best guy on the ice at most times is very impressive ... never seems out of control ... and he is just so fluid and natural with his puck handling

welcome to the Bedard era indeed
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bedard has become the youngest player in NHL history to make the All-Star game.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Great jersey retirement ceremony for Chelios tonight. Also, great tribute to Kaner on his return to the UC.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kaner get the game winner for Detroit in OT. Pretty damn fitting way for the game to end.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Kane tribute

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Took the train up to Chitown on Saturday for the Hawks v Columbus game. As soon as I heard Soderbloom was in goal, I knew I would be seeing an L. Dude is awful. How he is still with the team is beyond me. Enjoyed yesterday downtown in the beautiful weather. Had to hit the Burger Bar for their great burgers and mac n cheese. Had the triple chocolate shake as well. Trip was not a total loss.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

From what other Hawks fans are exalting this kid is pretty good. Saw some highlights and I'm digging it.