"The NFL QB Who Didn't Give A ****"

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

In an effort to bring peace and stability back to this board after the quite unnecessary squabbling over Justin Fields and Caleb Williams I wanted to bring up a topic where we can universally agree upon a QB’s greatness.

That QB is Smokin’ Jay Cutler.

I loved this man. He is everything that I ever wanted in my QB. I forgive him for not having a mullet because he offset that with the bowl cut.

He was Persona Personified displaying an intense passion for the game while always respecting authority where he would never tell an OC to go fuck himself in the middle of walking up behind center to start a play in the middle of a game.

So take a load off your favorite MCL and watch something that was blessedly placed into my YouTube feed somehow.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

This guy called to tell you he didn’t give a #### either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Oh man, I was so happy when the Bears made that trade. One of my best friends is a die hard Bronco fan and the shit I gave him after that trade was immense. Needless to say, he got and is still getting the last laugh as he never passes on a moment to ridicule me about the Jay Cutler trade.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

What would Cutler have done with the right coaching staff? He was Fields before Fields.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

What would Cutler have done with an offensive line?

By the time they got him some receivers the defense had fallen off a cliff.
Umbali
MVP

God I was so geeked for Cutler. I lived in Denver at the time and man did I catch hell
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 am What would Cutler have done with an offensive line?
Nothing different.

They did a major study of QBs under pressure and not under pressure and how they performed (not special now, but cutting edge at the time, IIRC).
Everybody showed notable differences under pressure vs not.
Except one.
Cutler was the same guy, all the time.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:49 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:29 am What would Cutler have done with an offensive line?
Nothing different.

They did a major study of QBs under pressure and not under pressure and how they performed (not special now, but cutting edge at the time, IIRC).
Except one.
Somebody, I don't remember who, came out and said Cutler was in the same class as Grossman in terms of making bad decisions (or words to that effect).
QB starved Bears fans all but burned the guy in effigy but it turns out he wasn't far wrong.
I hope Fields has a better career.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
IotaNet
MVP

Nothing different. … Cutler was the same guy, all the time.
Ahhhh, he of the “soul-crushing interception.”
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:01 am What would Cutler have done with the right coaching staff? He was Fields before Fields.
That pretty much sums it up. Cutler went from the frying pan of a Josh McDaniel coached Bronco team to a Lovie Smith coached Bears team who never managed to find him the support he needed at OC or WR until the OL he had featured JWebb as his LT along with a castoff cast of characters no NFL QB should ever have expected protection from. But to talk about this is a major digression.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

As the OP said, a dversion during a slow period. Cutler's an object lesson in one with seemingly all the talent but whiplashed by coaching changes and an incredibly bad decision maker on the field.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
malk
Head Coach

Nothing different.

Except one.
It was the receivers that made it virtually impossible for him imo.

2009 - Hester, Bennett, Knox. Worth noting Olsen and Forte were good pass catchers.
2010 - Knox, Bennett, Hester. Same Olsen (getting Martzed) and Forte.
2011 - Knox, Williams, Bennett. Forte still around, best TE was Kellen Davis.
2012 - Finally Brandon Marshall but otherwise Bennett and rookie Jeffery. Still Forte and Davis.
2013 - Jeffery, Marshall and Earl Bennett plus Forte and Martellus Bennett. 2nd in points in the league (with McCown) but Mel Tuckered.
2014 - Jeffery, Marshall and Marquess Wilson. Plus Forte and Bennett. Obviously still Tuckered out and hoo boy that 2nd Trestman year was somthing else behind the scenes.
2015 - Jeffery, Wilson and change. Bennett and Forte still around but loads of injuries everywhere on offence that year. First year of Fox.

Then you look at the OCs: Ron Turner, (2010) Mike Martz, Martz, MIKE TICE, Aaron Kromer (Trestman tho really), Kromer (in tears), Adam Gase.

The first three years were just ridiculous. I like all three of Hester, Knox and Bennet but I'm hard pressed to think of any of them as a #2 let a alone a #1. 2012 was 10-6 but missed the playoffs. And from then on we finally get an offence but either the coaching or the D is a shitshow. But those first hree years, jesus fucking christ man, imagine going into 2010 and thinking that just adding Martz would sort it out. Imagine going into 2011 thinking the ghost of Roy Williams would be your golden ticket. Oof.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Jay was imo a far more talented passer than fields - faster release, when he was prepared and dialed in (often an issue with him), a much faster processor. At his worst, he was far more productive than fields

quote=Grizzled post_id=378483 time=1711288894 user_id=2351]
What would Cutler have done with the right coaching staff? He was Fields before Fields.
[/quote]
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Martz and Tice, those two couldn’t pass for retarded if you added their IQ’s together.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Cutler was before my time but I thought he would finally be the edge Chicago needed to get over the hump? I find this mini bio to be really entertaining.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:29 pm Martz and Tice, those two couldn’t pass for retarded if you added their IQ’s together.
Front office said Cutler should be good regardless. So we didn’t give any protection or weapons. Reason QB fails is Bears DNA. Think we might finally break that lack of foresight.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Ormazd
MVP

I still think about what 2011 might have been.

Bears had won 5 in a row (7-3) and were rolling. Cutler broke his thumb trying to tackle a Charger who intercepted a pass after Johnny Knox broke off his route.

Bears went 1-5 rest of the season
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Ormazd wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:39 pm I still think about what 2011 might have been.

Bears had won 5 in a row (7-3) and were rolling. Cutler broke his thumb trying to tackle a Charger who intercepted a pass after Johnny Knox broke off his route.

Bears went 1-5 rest of the season
Cutler had two injuries that make you go "what if." That one and his knee in the playoff game.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

even with his don't give a shit attitude, Cutler could have owned Chicago if he hadn't been an interception machine who came up short in important games ... all the talent one could hope for being controlled by questionable decisions

compounding that was the Bears not doing him any favors in the support category ... how many other NFL QB's have to take time before calling a play to tie one of his lineman's shoes?

even though I consider him a failure, I will defend him to the end against anyone who questions his toughness ... that man took some abuse and kept picking himself up off the mat ... and the only time he couldn't (the playoff knee injury), the team unfairly threw him under the bus
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

15 years. Where does the time go? :(
UOK
Site Admin

I feel so old, lol. The Cutler trade was a huge, huge deal around here. His entire Bears tenure was full of botched decisions and missteps by management that didn't pair well with a guy who tended to turn the ball over. The Packers NFC title game should've been the last game for him as a Bear, but whatever. Long time ago now.
grendel2000
Journeyman

UOK wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:38 am I feel so old, lol. The Cutler trade was a huge, huge deal around here. His entire Bears tenure was full of botched decisions and missteps by management that didn't pair well with a guy who tended to turn the ball over. The Packers NFC title game should've been the last game for him as a Bear, but whatever. Long time ago now.
Ditto. I've been feeling that way FREQUENTLY around here as folks have been discussing the draft and invariably the painful memories of Drafts gone by come back. I can't say I'm enjoying that aspect much...