The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 pm

There's that name again...
Glad you brought that up because I was about to. Murphy seems to be rising on quite a few boards and if a top three WR isn't on the board at #9 he's probably a guy Poles and Flus should look at very seriously. He's pretty much a pure 3 tech in the NFL but Texas also used him as a NT at times. That's a testament to his power which is also what set Aaron Donald apart from other DT.

I'll take the opposite stance from dplank. I believe Minny wants JJ McCarthy and will trade up for him not wanting to risk someone else doing it. AZ, LAC, and NYG are all potential trade up spots. At any rate how many QB are taken prior to pick #9 should directly impact whether or not a top three WR will still be there. So this will be the more interesting part of round one to follow.
I'll add this to those thoughts - I think Minny wants to land JJ as well and if no one moves up to take in the first 8 picks, the value at 9 could be extremely high. Denver, NO and Raiders could all want to get ahead of Minny. Might not be able to get a king's ransom out of them to move back, but at least a prince's ransom I'd think. Typical to move to where the Raiders are it would be less than their 3rd round pick, but since they have to get ahead of 2 QB needy teams, might be able to 1/13 and 2/44 for 1/9 and a '25 5th or 6th (or maybe nothing else). Heck, Barnwell floated the idea of get 1/14, 2/45 and former 1st round/frequent MASH unit visitor Payton Turner for 1/9.

I'm starting to hope that AZ and the other teams ahead of us try to be super greedy in their trade demands and we become the landing spot for a team in the market for a QB. Of course a lot of my reasoning it there are a bunch of guys I like that can be had in the 9-15 range, so as long as we are there, we get a guy I like. Poles and his people very well may have decided there are 1 or 2 guys that are significantly better than the rest and won't move down past a spot that insure they land one.

But Poles is crafty. If there are two guys on the board at 9 that he is good going either way, I see him calling Joe Douglas, Jets GM. "Hey Joe, I've got (some nonQB needy team that would be targeting who he thinks the Jets want) on the phone. Man, they are offering me a sweet deal that I may have to take, but I've got someone I don't want to miss out on. What would you give me if I just moved back one spot with you, so we can both get our guy?"
wulfy
MVP

It’ll be interesting to see when the Offensive Tackle Run begins. There are about 4 that can go from 7 to 14.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

ESPN put out a mock with trades for all 1st round picks. It was meant tongue-in-cheek, I guess the pre-draft has been beat to death for original things to write about:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/stor ... ks-players
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Heinz D.
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:38 pm I think Fuaga would be an All-Pro guard next to Darnell Wright. I do not see him as a standout at T on either side, personally. Like most things, YMMV.
Poles apparently loves him, if reports are to be believed. But I sincerely doubt he has him rated highly enough to boot his own draft day find of Jones...
dplank wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 am My prediction is Minny doesn’t trade up and sits where they are and drafts a QB there. McCarthy hype doesn’t materialize as expected. Just a hunch
My prediction is that he falls past the Titans, and then shit gets real. Atlanta's phone ringing off the hook.

I bet the Vikings make a deal with Atlanta, and keep their second first round pick...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Umbali
MVP

Im hearing from one of my sources , ( some guy on the radio whos name I cant remember ), he thinks the Patriots trade back to try and fill a bunch of holes and either rely on Brisset this year or trade back with thoughts of JJ and stacking picks.

Either way....Thursday night is MUST SEE TV FOR ME!
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearfacts
MVP

One thing that seems to unique about this draft is that after the top picks who are essentially the QB, three WRs, and the top OL and DL players the second tier seems to grade out so closely to one another Poles or any GM should be able to circle at least 3-4 players he'd be happy with around the spot he picks or plans to pick at. It may come down more to need and fit than ranking.
Bearfacts
MVP

IotaNet wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 pm For me it's simple. YOU DON'T DO IT.

You have the number one pick in a year where the number one prospect is considered special.

Don't over-think it.
Don't over-analyze it.
Don't try to be smarter than everyone else.

Use the number one pick on the consensus number one prospect.

Full stop.
That sums it up for me as well.

For the second time in modern history the Bears have the #1 overall pick in this draft. The last time we were this close to again drafting a QB #1 was following a 1-13 season in 1969. We tied with Pitt for the worst record which then required a coin flip to resolve. GSH sent Ed McCaskey. :frustrated: Why we'll never know but he lost the flip making us 0-1 for the offseason and Pitt drafted Terry Bradshaw.

If Poles and Co are convinced CW is the guy to lead them to multiple championships just as Sid Luckman did 80 years ago then there is no price high enough or at least not one any team would pay. Virtually every move Poles has had this offseason has been to set the table for his new QB and he's made in clear CW is the guy. He may get a few calls on the pick but I think other teams know he's not trading.

What I'm most interested in is how the other three top QBs stack because at this point we don't know. There doesn't seem to be a clear hands down #2 guy and another question seems to be is J J McCarthy really worth a top five pick? I think there'll be a lot of calling around done prior to the start of the first round and during it as well. I really do expect some teams to trade up for a guy they value enough to do it.
Bearfacts
MVP

If the Bears follow the same track as virtually every other NFL team then a prospect with an injury history either passes medical scrutiny or he does not and isn't even on that teams board. And this comes from a guy like Greg Gabriel who was part of that process with the Bears and NYG for many years. We won't know how the Bears have guys like Latu or Newton listed unless they draft one of them.

Given our unfortunate history with players who came into the NFL with injuries I'd feel like a player has to pretty sound in all other respects to risk the gamble. Poles and Flus have bother earmarked availability as the best ability. Playing injured against college competition is one thing, doing the same in the NFL is a whole other deal. The Bears are at a point where they can take a blue chip prospect with no concerns. So why trade down and take a chance on a non-elite player with injury concerns. Makes no sense.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
dplank
Hall of Famer

Feels a bit redundant to Keenan Allen. Poles view on extending Allen is everything here, if he plans to pay him then O don’t see any reason to draft a WR. If he doesn’t then it makes all the sense in the world.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:45 am
GOD I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

I know a bunch of Al Davis's in here would rather draft Darrius Heyward-Bey... sorry, I mean Malik Nabers. But man, gimme a fully developed WR like Odunze any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Noots
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:47 am Feels a bit redundant to Keenan Allen
Studies Allen, looks up to him as a model for route running. Can you imagine the influence he'd have on him. I can't think of a better problem to have than more than one Keenan Allen on a team. I have to admit, it's tough for me to think of going WR there, knowing we're a pass rusher away from being a dominant defense, but this would really be too hard to pass up.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm With a week to go I started thinking about what a few members of this board would truly give up to move from the first overall pick...
  • @UOK: A guarantee that there will never be any more squabbling on this forum and he'll never again have to lock a thread let alone suspend or ban anyone.
You'd be surprised. I'd deal with any and all thread/forum nonsense for the rest of my life if it meant drafting a generational QB.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:47 am Feels a bit redundant to Keenan Allen. Poles view on extending Allen is everything here, if he plans to pay him then O don’t see any reason to draft a WR. If he doesn’t then it makes all the sense in the world.
You have to consider WR contracts becoming out of control, DJ Moore's contract is up after 2025 and Allen's is up after this year.

If you draft Odunze, you ostensibly could sign Allen to a front-loaded two year deal before you have to pay DJ Moore, then you let Allen go and have a (hopefully) well-groomed Odunze ready to take over at X.

Makes sense on paper and is fiscally smart. Future becomes DJ Moore, Rome Odunze, Cole Kmet and I'm sure some move-TE acquired in the next couple years.

Would be kind of awesome to have a, God-willing, franchise QB and franchise WR drafted in the same class...
G08
Hall of Famer

1.1 Caleb Williams - QB
1.9 Rome Odunze - WR
3.75 Austin Booker (EDGE) or Brandon Dorlus (DT)
4.122 Kiran Amegadjie (OT)
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

I thought this was a pretty good read about why trading up is usually not a good idea, or at least doesn't pay off in the long run. IE: Trading up for MHJ. I fully admit, I love the idea of the Bears trading up to grab him so this article is in contrast to what would make me really excited next week. I don't think they will and this article is well written to explain why they shouldn't.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/stor ... ed-process

This article is not about the Bears at all, but just trading up in general. Ironically, there is an example of the Bills trading up from #9 to #4 to take WR Sammy Watkins. They had to give up their #1 pick the next year to move up those 5 spots. Food for thought. Can't wait to see what happens Thursday night.

Go Bears!!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:49 am
G08 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:45 am
GOD I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

I know a bunch of Al Davis's in here would rather draft Darrius Heyward-Bey... sorry, I mean Malik Nabers. But man, gimme a fully developed WR like Odunze any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I'm very big on Odunze (polished Jordy Nelson) too.

Nabers (turbo Brandon Aiyuk) is an excellent prospect as well. It's all a matter of which flavor you prefer.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Heinz D.
MVP

Umbali wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pm Im hearing from one of my sources , ( some guy on the radio whos name I cant remember ), he thinks the Patriots trade back to try and fill a bunch of holes and either rely on Brisset this year or trade back with thoughts of JJ and stacking picks.

I've considered that possibility, too. It does make some sense. I can't see them doing it, in the end, though. They need something to sell their fanbase on. And there's nothing better suited to doing that than a shiny new QB.
dplank wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:47 am Feels a bit redundant to Keenan Allen. Poles view on extending Allen is everything here, if he plans to pay him then O don’t see any reason to draft a WR. If he doesn’t then it makes all the sense in the world.
Dude, the odds of Keenan Allen retiring as a Bear are high. You don't spent a fourth round pick on a 32 year old guy, and then send that guy to your shiny new QBs Pro Day, if you're not going to re-sign him.

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:30 am I'm very big on Odunze (polished Jordy Nelson) too.

Nabers (turbo Brandon Aiyuk) is an excellent prospect as well. It's all a matter of which flavor you prefer.
In the unlikely event that Poles stays put at #9 and drafts a receiver there, I'd imagine he'd prefer Odunze, as that kid brings stuff that Moore doesn't have (or have nearly as much of).
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:30 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:49 am

GOD I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

I'm very big on Odunze (polished Jordy Nelson) too.
Nice comp! I'd add that Odunze is the better athlete too
G08
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:44 am
Umbali wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:27 pm Im hearing from one of my sources , ( some guy on the radio whos name I cant remember ), he thinks the Patriots trade back to try and fill a bunch of holes and either rely on Brisset this year or trade back with thoughts of JJ and stacking picks.

I've considered that possibility, too. It does make some sense. I can't see them doing it, in the end, though. They need something to sell their fanbase on. And there's nothing better suited to doing that than a shiny new QB.
Dude, the odds of Keenan Allen retiring as a Bear are high. You don't spent a fourth round pick on a 32 year old guy, and then send that guy to your shiny new QBs Pro Day, if you're not going to re-sign him.

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:30 am I'm very big on Odunze (polished Jordy Nelson) too.

In the unlikely event that Poles stays put at #9 and drafts a receiver there, I'd imagine he'd prefer Odunze, as that kid brings stuff that Moore doesn't have (or have nearly as much of).
If Allen wants a 3 year, $75M deal with $48 guaranteed, do you do it? I'm not sure I do...
Heinz D.
MVP

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:09 am If Allen wants a 3 year, $75M deal with $48 guaranteed, do you do it? I'm not sure I do...
Maybe. They could make that work, cap-wise.

But...if Poles traded a fourth round pick for Allen, and extension details were not discussed thoroughly between Allen's camp and the Bears' brass--then the move to get him was easily the dumbest thing Poles has ever done. I kinda doubt that's what's going on here...
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 pm
G08 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:09 am If Allen wants a 3 year, $75M deal with $48 guaranteed, do you do it? I'm not sure I do...

But...if Poles traded a fourth round pick for Allen, and extension details were not discussed thoroughly between Allen's camp and the Bears' brass--then the move to get him was easily the dumbest thing Poles has ever done. I kinda doubt that's what's going on here...
If creating the best environment for Caleb to succeed is the dumbest thing he's ever done, we're doing pretty good.

But he could have used that fourth rounder on a backup safety! I know I know, hopefully we'll somehow manage.
G08
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 pm

I don't know about that... Chase Claypool has to be #1 :lol:

It would suck if we burned a 4th for one year of Keenan Allen, but on the other hand he's one of the most QB-friendly WRs in the NFL. If Caleb sees him as a safety valve / security blanket in this scheme then it's well worth it.
Heinz D.
MVP

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:48 pm If creating the best environment for Caleb to succeed is the dumbest thing he's ever done, we're doing pretty good.

But he could have used that fourth rounder on a backup safety! I know I know, hopefully we'll somehow manage.
Poles could have signed two quality veterans for the amount of money Allen is going to be paid, and the net effect on Caleb's development would have been about the same. And, he could have kept the draft pick.
G08 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 pm I don't know about that... Chase Claypool has to be #1 :lol:

It would suck if we burned a 4th for one year of Keenan Allen, but on the other hand he's one of the most QB-friendly WRs in the NFL. If Caleb sees him as a safety valve / security blanket in this scheme then it's well worth it.
Really? How often do we see this happen, around the league? Sounds like it's all the time, right? I guess I'm forgetting about a bunch of trades for one year rentals?

And Claypool is a forgivable mistake, IMHO.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Poles denied sending Keenan Allen to Williams' Pro Day and said it was Allen who'd decided to go and of course being a former Charger Allen lives locally.

As for an extension, Poles also stated he would like to agree a new deal but he also said he and his team like to work though player extensions in a particular order and implied Allen would therefore have to wait his turn.

With only a few days to go before the draft the fact Poles hasn't agreed a new contract with Allen, or anyone else since Johnson, suggests he's keeping his options open. If the best player on the board at #9 is one of the WRs then he could select him and either not extend Allen or offer him a different deal than he would if the best player available plays a different position.
Heinz D.
MVP

See you folks on Thursday...
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:47 pm
wab wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 pm Latu is my favorite defensive player in the draft by a wide margin. But I'm honestly not interested in taking on an injury risk. If Turner is off the table and the Bears are targeting a DE, I'm fine with Verse.
I like Latu a lot. I just don't expect that the Bears' medical team is comfortable with him.

If they are and he's drafted, I'll swallow hard and cross my fingers that they're right. Because he's a lot of fun to watch.
Don't forget that Poles was initially willing to risk a huge contract to Ogun with a known foot problem and then rescinded it when Ogun failed the physical. So Poles obviously is willing to take a risk on a known medical issue, but he won't if there are currently medical issues with it. If Latu passed his physical when he visited, I could easily see Poles taking him even though it's a known issue from his past. The crux of the issue is that he has to pass his physical currently. That Latu has played two years with it, signals to me that he's good to go. And it's not like Chrissie Williams where Williams played injured. Latu was completely healthy his two years at UCLA.

When Poles commented that he loved watching "this guy play" when he was purportedly watching the defensive linemen, the one player that stands out to me out of the bunch is Latu. Like you say TS, he is a lot of fun to watch.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I just don't see Newton happening with picking Dexter last year and we need a DE2.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 pm Image

See you folks on Thursday...
Do you think this nightmare of an offseason will be over then?
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Have a weird feeling they may take Murphy…even if they don’t trade down