(7-2) Chicago Bears
@
(6-2-1) San Francisco 49ers

Light rain. Overcast. Cool. 61 °F

Monday, 8:30 p.m. ET, at Candlestick Park, San Francisco
ESPN
TV announcers: Mike Tirico, Jon Gruden, Lisa Salters

-----------

It's uncertain if one or neither starting QB will play in this one, as Cutler and Smith are nursing concussions. The Bears signing of McCown would seem to indicate that Jay's going to get the week off, but nothing's certain at the time of this post.

Here's some relevant links for more info and predictions, but please make your own! :)

CBS Sports
Sports Chat Fantasy Preview
Yahoo! Sports
Bleacher Report
PapaBear57
Practice Squad

Well if both starting QBs play then this will be a close game. Both teams are, statistically speaking very similar. But I have to give the edge to the bears, especially if Jeffery makes it back. As we have seen the number 2 reciever spot is critical for us, and none of the usual suspects have really stepped up, as we saw against the Texans.

If both of the number 2 QBs play it will still be close but again I give the nod to the Bears. The turnover machine that is our Defense will give us the edge, even if it is only a thin one.

21-17 Bears.
Wisconsin must be a very windy place.
The Packers Suck and Green Bay Blows....
Hardhitter47
Player of the Month

With both QBs banged up, this could be another Defensive slugfest. However, I believe Campbell is a notch above Kaepernick, so our Defense should have a fairly decent day defending the pass. If Smith is able to go, no worries there. I don't consider Alex Smith anywhere near elite and the Defense shouldn't struggle too much against him either. Minimize turnovers, win the 1st down battle and our stellar Defense will do the rest.

Bears 21
SF 10
UOK
Site Admin

I think Kaepernick is the type of QB that the Bears destroy. His turnovers alone will provide scoring enough to win. I think Campbell's going to go out there and look like total shit.

Bears 23
49ers 16
Ormazd
MVP

I agree with UOK that the Bears defense would eat Kaepernick alive. However, I expect Campbell to play much better after a week of reps. He missed some down field opportunities Sunday, but was 11-19 and didn't turn it over.

Bears 23
49ers 17
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Campbell will play like A. Smith and Kappernick is an athletic running QB which we normally beat up good on defense. Contain Gore is the task, and their other RB forgot who he is.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

All depends on which Jason Campbell we get. The knock on him in camp and preseason was that he was 'Checkdown Charlie' - and we saw the same thing in last weeks game. If a week of practice gets him a little more comfortable then I think the Bears have a good shot at winning this.

If not, its going to be an ugly 9-6 game.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

An offensive suckfest for both teams, especially if both #2s are playing. Don't have much faith in the Bear O against this SF D not matter who is taking snaps. And Kapernick, yea, like he has a chance.

Bears - 6
SF - 3
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Kappernick scare me.

Yes, this defense USED to eat up mobile QBs but that defense had a different 54 patrolling the middle of the field.

I think Brian is playing very good and making impact plays every week, but he's not doing the same things he used to do. He's playing downhill more and we've seen a couple of times where he was not quick enough to get to the corner.

When we shut down mobile QBs we were dropping Brian 10 yards off the LOS (or more) and letting him beat them to the corner when they went to take off.

Furthermore I think Roach has looked really bad this year as well which will further compound our issues containing Kappernick.

I think the key here will be the corners handling Crabtree and Moss one on one. Wright has been great in run support and it's going to be on him to make sure Kappernick doesn't make a big play when things break down.

Of course now the question is "What about V. Davis"?

First and foremost I hope Smith starts. If not then hopefully our DBs can bait Kappernick into some bad passes. If I were Rod I'd be preaching contain over penetration this week .
wab
Mod

I think we win this one more handily than the score will suggest. Outside of Aldon Smith and Vernon Davis down the seam...they don't really do anything that scares me.

Bears 24
Niners 9
Fumblebuck
MVP

I agree with DD about Kappernick.

He is athletic has had damn good coaching for a year and a bit and worst of all there is no book on him.
IE
Hall of Famer

C'mon guys. Look what this D did to Erin Rodgers. Let alone guys like Romo, or Luck. And we're having Kappernick fear? lol

Bear 27
Niner 16

And that's with Dinkdunk Campbell.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Chicago Campbells - 5

San Francisco Kaepernicks - 3
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

We shutdown Gore, we find a couple TDs... easy win even with Campbell.

Bears 17
Niners 10

You guys are giving Vernon Davis too much credit... he as been pretty irrelevant this year. His stats are padded by big games against Detroit and Buffalo but otherwise he has been 2rec for 40yds kinda nobody.

I think this is a great matchup for our defense and I'm only giving SF 10 points because I think they'll score in the 4th when we're using soft cover shells to defend our lead. The SF offense runs through Gore and teams cannot run on our dline.

I figure 2 TDs for us because there's a good chance of a pick6, and Campbell throws a good deep ball so he could hit one of our guys for a big one. We should also be able to run effectively and will work on short fields due to SF-offensive ineptitude.
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote:and Campbell throws a good deep ball so he could hit one of our guys for a big one

if true, we could have used one against the Texans
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
crueltyabc wrote:and Campbell throws a good deep ball so he could hit one of our guys for a big one
if true, we could have used one against the Texans
Like the really long one to Marshall? :?
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
EverybodyHatesCutler
Rookie

I'll actually be at this game. Anyone else going? Let me know, got some Bears fans that are tailgaiting at the Jimmy John's tent.

As far as the game goes, Looks like Smith goes and Cutler is looking more and more like he will not be playing...

The keys for us is to get the running game going early, and get more than a 1/2 yard on first and second down. We need to keep out of the 2nd/3rd and longs, and not run with the box stacked.

Hopefully JC2 will be able to audible out of things like Cutler is able to.

Big overall key much like last week though, we need to win the field position battle, especially if Campbell goes, and win the turnover ratio as well.

Overall, as much as I hope we win, we are 0-8 in the last 8 meeting in S.F.

My prediction: 20-10 49ers. The media will turn on the Bears more than they have, but we will go on to win 4 out of our last 6 games.
Chicago Bears: 7-2 1st place (S.F. Baby! Will be there this Monday Night!)
Chicago Whitesox: 2nd place... (Close but no cigar)
Chicago Bulls: (No Rose? Big problem)

Prosportsdaily- DaBears1990
Funkster
MVP

EverybodyHatesCutler wrote:I
The keys for us is to get the running game going early, and get more than a 1/2 yard on first and second down. We need to keep out of the 2nd/3rd and longs, and not run with the box stacked.
Finally, someone is seeing the light. I wouldn't mind seeing Bush on 1st and 2nd and bring in Forte on 3rd and short. The possibilities would be endless with run,pass or screen opportunities. This would defiantly keep the defense guessing.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: You guys are giving Vernon Davis too much credit... he as been pretty irrelevant this year. His stats are padded by big games against Detroit and Buffalo but otherwise he has been 2rec for 40yds kinda nobody.

I'm not giving him too much credit, they haven't even been targeting him of late....however, if you leave him unaccounted for he can eat you up.

And for all the 'shut down Gore' talk...we've allowed 100 yard rushers in each of the last two games.

Yes, CJ got garbage time production and Yes Fosters 100 was awfully quite......but we still surrendered 100 yards.

I think it comes down simply to which team get's extra possessions....who wins the battle of turnovers. I know that cliche and is often overused, but when a match-up is this tight and when teams are this similar it's usually what it comes down to.

Who makes the fewest mistakes (turnovers and penalties). And in that case we're strangely better off with JC under center as he's turned the ball over at a lower rate then Jay throughout their careers.
dabears0903
Rookie

IE wrote:
Boris13c wrote: if true, we could have used one against the Texans
Like the really long one to Marshall? :?

45 yards isn't very long. (sarcasm)
EverybodyHatesCutler
Rookie

Funkster wrote:
EverybodyHatesCutler wrote:I
Finally, someone is seeing the light. I wouldn't mind seeing Bush on 1st and 2nd and bring in Forte on 3rd and short. The possibilities would be endless with run,pass or screen opportunities. This would defiantly keep the defense guessing.
The personel or play calling does not matter to me as long as we stop being put in 2nd/3rd and longs.

We have been to predictable lately, and especially with us going against a top 5 defense, we need to not be stupid.
Chicago Bears: 7-2 1st place (S.F. Baby! Will be there this Monday Night!)
Chicago Whitesox: 2nd place... (Close but no cigar)
Chicago Bulls: (No Rose? Big problem)

Prosportsdaily- DaBears1990
Motion
Practice Squad

Defense: Advantage 49ers
Home Field: 49ers
Offense: Advantage 49ers
Special Teams: Advantage Bears
Turnovers: Advantage Bears
Preparation: Advantage 49ers

The 49ers started practice Wednesday and the Bears waited until Thursday. The Bears will go into San Francisco unprepared for one of the biggest games of this season and will be beat up and down the field.

With the way the offense is playing Lovie Smith should have called practice on Tuesday but he coaches with the urgency of "a morning shit".

WTF this is Cutler's 3rd NFL concussion and with that knowledge Smith should have called practice for Tuesday and announced that he was going to get Campbell prepared for this game. That's all he would have had to say.

Again the Bears will be behind the eight ball going into a stadium which they have never won in.

San Francisco 35 Bears 10
All NFL teams and players face adversity but the will to overcome adversity and succeed is what makes certain teams and players elite. The time has come for the Chicago Bears to become an elite NFL team again.
mbrs!
MVP

Right now, I don't care too much if the Bears win or lose this one.

I just want to see if the OL and receivers not named Marshall can stop playing like a bunch of you-know-whats.

The OL should be pissed off and offended that Tice has to devote extra blockers to protect them; they should be embarassed that they allowed Matthews to get a clean hit on Cutler, and that they allowed Suh to do a WWF move on him. Play with some attitude and pride. Their attitude should be, "I got this." ala Rodman vs. Shaq.

Receivers and TEs, beat that 2nd or 3rd stringer defending you, and stop making him look like a superstar against you. Also, catch the freaking ball.

If we lose this game, but show really good offensive improvement in the OL and other receivers, then it will build towards wins against the Packers, and in the playoffs.
Funkster
MVP

I feel this game is being taking to light by the organization.I feel the coaching staff is planning on "giving" this win to the niners.I see this as a must win game if we plan of making the playoffs. The pukers, giants and seahawks are all nipping at our heals. Let's not forget the vikes,bucs and saints.

Our remaining schedule is not going to be easy and we need to go in planning on winning every game.
Niner's
vikes
hawks
vikes
pukers
cards
lions

with this schedule, and the schedule of some of those teams, we could easily go from 1st to bumped out of a wildcard spot.

I say we loose this game before the kickoff. The mentality going into the game by the coaching staff feels to me like they are just trying to "get through" this game and move onto next week when cutler is back. I hope I am wrong.

Niners 24
Bears 10
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

This is that one game that I've been waiting for since the schedule was announced. I will be there and God do I hope they win.

I was hoping Smith would be out for this game, because I think those little dink and dunk passes are going to tire out the D.

Raider fans have a rep for being dickheads, but 49er fans are just as bad, if not worse, so you guys will most likely see me throwing blows in the stands on some espn highlights.
Pagan
MVP

Go get em Franko!

There are so many X factors in this game it isn't funny!

Will Alshon return to his sure handed form or be gunshot catching the ball?
Will the Oline have another nice blocking day like last Sunday?
Will the receivers catch more than they drop?
Can Forte effectively run against the 49ers D?
Will the ST players finish blocks without penalties?

If we get 2 out of these 5 it's going to be a baseball score.
Bears 11
9ers. 9
Field goal fest with a safety in the 4th quarter.

If we get 3 or more it's a completely different game!
Bears 27
9ers. 16
late score by San Fran in mop up time.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

I think everyone is giving the 9ers team a bit too much credit.

They survived the Rams only because of two procedure penalties in OT.

They lost to the Queens.

They got destroyed by the Giants.

Yes it's always tough to win on the road, but if we take care of the ball I think our defense is actually much much better (at least from a 'difference making' point of view) then the Niners and neither of the offenses are worth a shit.

We have better special teams, better defense, and both offenses are not even worth talking about....so the only reason this contest should be close is because Frisco is at home IMO.

If you haven't watched the Niners this year, Justin Smith has been quite and their secondary has had a lot of brain farts. Let them make the mistakes instead of forcing one..take easy plays underneath and make their secondary make the tackle. Nip, nip, nip and then let them take a bad angle or miss a tackle and give us the big play.
FranktheTank
Player of the Month

DaDitka wrote:I think everyone is giving the 9ers team a bit too much credit.

They survived the Rams only because of two procedure penalties in OT.

They lost to the Queens.

They got destroyed by the Giants.

Yes it's always tough to win on the road, but if we take care of the ball I think our defense is actually much much better (at least from a 'difference making' point of view) then the Niners and neither of the offenses are worth a shit.

We have better special teams, better defense, and both offenses are not even worth talking about....so the only reason this contest should be close is because Frisco is at home IMO.

If you haven't watched the Niners this year, Justin Smith has been quite and their secondary has had a lot of brain farts. Let them make the mistakes instead of forcing one..take easy plays underneath and make their secondary make the tackle. Nip, nip, nip and then let them take a bad angle or miss a tackle and give us the big play.
I'm going to print a thousand copies of this post and throw them to the masses in candlestick park.
Funkster
MVP

Like I said,people are taking them to lightly.

Bears -------- Niners

Offense 27th - 11th
Defense 10th - 5th
Kicking 3rd - 31st
Kick return 32nd - 10th
Punting 24th - 22nd
Punt return 13th - 5th
FG 7th - 17th
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Funkster wrote:

Like I said,people are taking them to lightly.

Bears -------- Niners

Offense 27th - 11th
Defense 10th - 5th
Kicking 3rd - 31st
Kick return 32nd - 10th
Punting 24th - 22nd
Punt return 13th - 5th
FG 7th - 17th
Oh, I know what the numbers are, but so much of stats are are skewed buy game situations and opponents (garbage time production, level of opponent, weather)

I noticed you didn't include scoring differental, turnover differential....etc. You can always finds stats to make any point you want to (I know I'm the king of it)

But the eye test tells me we are a superior team to the Niners. I didn't feel that way last week against to Texans, but against the Niners I do. I watched their entire game last week and other then Alden Smith, Vernon Davis, and 4 of their 5 O-line man I don't think any of their 'started' would start over ours..( I know many/most would say Willis over Urlacher...but I refuse to).

I'm not going to argue with those that feel the Niners are a better team, I just don't see it that way.

I think Seattle is better then them in their own division and think think the Bears, Packers, and Falcons are all far superior in the NFC, they have already lost to the Giants.. so at the very least I see 5 superior teams in the NFC alone. Yet I feel many act like they are one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league and I really don't see it that way.