Emery Speaks!

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i kept expecting someone else to post this, but i dont think i've seen it anywhere. it deserves it's own thread anyway incase anyone missed it.
http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/ ... 5661293869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's a pretty phenomenal little talk. emery is a pro's pro and i cant gush enough about my little girl crush whenever he speaks.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

this is a nice little write up by hoge regarding emery's presser.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/09/02/ ... t-message/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Why do I feel like Emery is Moses and I am one of the Jews being led out of Egypt?

Wait...."He Speaks....Emery Speaks!"
UOK
Site Admin

I'm still reveling in what a breath of fresh air Emery is over Angelo. It's like night and day.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He comes across as the smartest man in the room every time he speaks.
Xee
Site Admin

I did a quick transcript of the speech in case anyone wants it. Any mistakes are my own.

I’m going to cover three points and give you a little bonus one after that, just some thoughts on areas that we need to improve upon, and then I’ll open it up to questions.

First thing is I wanted to congratulate the new members of the Bears. There’s 24 out of the 61 total members of the Bears, that’s including the 8 on the practice squad, that are brand new to our organization. The composition of that is six draft choices, three college free agents, one claimed yesterday, four UFA’s, five street free agents, and five new practice squad players. I just wanted to congratulate them on starting off their year with the Chicago Bears for our opening day tilt against the Bengals. Also wanted to congratulate our older players. They deserve our congratulations and respect.

I want to start with Patrick Mannelly, 16 years here as a Chicago Bear going into his 16th season. When I came to the Bears in 1998 to interview, I sat down with Bill Reese and he asked me to watch the draft picks from that year which Patrick was one of them. He told me that before he even got started, we went through them a little bit, and he said, “Really, we think the best pick of the draft was Patrick Mannely. We picked up a long-snapper that might be here ten years in the 6th round.” Well, I think Patrick has proven that and he’s going on twice-over, on his 16th year, so he deserves our congratulations.

Roberto Garza, going on his 13th year in the league. I was with Roberto in Atlanta in 2005 and I sat in the room and we made a decision to move on and part of our thinking was that a man without an ACL probably didn’t have many years left, and we weren’t going to be able to value him properly moving forward as an UFA. I think Roberto has proved us wrong in that area; he keeps plugging away and I seen him improve in a player this year over last year.

Julius Peppers, 12th year in the league. In Atlanta, he terrorized us; he was the Vic equalizer. Man has 111 ½ sacks in his career and is one of the tops in the league in terms of career sacks. He speaks of leadership and production. He’s a very quiet leader, unassuming, but he does great things. He leads by example. I don’t know how many times I saw in OTA’s and during camp him chase Matt Forte, a receiver, or back downfield. Anybody of his stature in the league that’s willing to put in what he puts in each and every day to give his all, deserves our respect.

Charles Tillman, going into his 11th year. I was very fortunate to be in a draft room to hear the story or the exchange that went on between Coach Jauron and his coaches and our staff on whether we were drafting a safety or corner. It was Dick who said, “Hey, he’s absolutely a corner, that’s how we’re going to coach him. He’s going to be a corner in this league.” I would say Dick was very correct. He’s a forced-fumble machine, I think he’s second-leading interceptor in Bears history. He certainly deserves our respect.

Lance Briggs, 11th year, what a move as a leader to step up and say, hey, I’ll take it over, I’ll take the signal caller job. Still a sudden and dynamic athlete; he’s a prototypical of what we want for our defense. I’m watching the Oakland preseason game live and later on tape and I can’t believe I’m looking at a 11th year player in terms of his suddenness and his dynamic ability to get to the ball and his want to get to the ball, so certainly he deserves our respect. There’s a couple that are up in their nine but today I’m going to talk about the ten-year plus and that’s our group in terms of years of services in the league.

I want to talk about a little bit about our roster composition, on how it got to where it’s at today, restate our goals for our roster when I came in on how we’re working towards attaining those goals or our outline for our team. Number one, is that we wanted to develop, or have, more offensive weapons for our quarterback. Number two, is that in developing those weapons for our quarterback we would become a quarterback-centered and we were going to need to develop for the quarterback and the midfield weapons that he had in terms of helping with the protection, always have an outlet in the center of the field that he could see while he was undergoing pressure. We also wanted to address our defensive needs in terms of moving forward as we start to replenish our defense moving forward, you know, through our years is that we do it with, again, sudden, dynamic players. High level athletes that can make plays. Just take the offensive weapons, guys that can hit homeruns, guys on defense that can run down great athletes, and that’s what we’ve set out to accomplish. To give some credence to where we’re trying to go and why we’re trying to go there.

Part of when you look at a roster is knowing what needs to improve or to be fixed and also know what isn’t broke and doesn’t need to be tampered with. On our roster this year, from 2012, the last two years moving forward, there’s 31 of the 53 on our roster that are new people, so there’s been a 58% turnover. On offensive, that’s 18 out of 24; that’s a 75% turnover on the offensive roster since January of 2012. Only 42% of those, 10 out of the 24, are original Bears. On defense, little bit different story. Thirteen out of 25, or 52% turnover, versus the 75%. Sixty-eight percent, 17 out 25 original Bears. So we’re moving in a direction to improve the offense and slowly moving in a direction to add youth to the defense. I think our roster numbers speak of that. It speaks of the consistency of trying to work towards our goals to improve the weapons our team, to improve the protection for our quarterback to be quarterback-centered and to slowly add youth and dynamic athleticism to our defense as our needs arrive.

The last thing I want to share with you is areas I feel we need to improve in. As I worked through this roster and looked at these numbers and did my own analytics on it, I was curious to, in terms of retention of original players on the roster, not only for our team, but for teams in our division. I went through it and what I saw is that 29 out of the 53 players we have, roughly 55%, are original Bears. They were on this team originally, that was their original team. The Greenbay Packers are 43 of 53 and the Minnesota Vikings are 39 of 53, and the Detroit Lions are 27 of 53. Now, I firmly believe that the best way to build a team is your own original talent, your draft picks, your college free agents. It helps you in several ways; it helps you manage the cap so that it gives you flexibility so that when you do need a dynamic player to fill in, you’re able to go and get them, you have the cap flexibility to go get that player, which can add to consistency of your team, winning year in, year out. It also gives your team a home-grown flavor for your fans and it also allows those players to be together longer and to improve together and play together as a team for a longer period of time and with more consistency. Now that’s the only way to build a team.

When I came in here, I’ve already stated what our philosophy towards building is, what I’m saying is what we need to do in terms of continue to improve our roster and our chances to gain and be in a position to win championships consistently is that we need to retain more of our own players. We need to have more years like we had this year in terms of having a high number of picks and college free agents on the roster relative to what we’ve brought in. We need to have that consistently. I need to do a better job of finding ways to gain more picks on draft day and we need to do a better job as a college staff in our recruitment and retention of high quality college free agents. That’s how you produce rosters at these types of numbers, where the Packers are at, where the Vikings are at. How have they’ve gone about it? They’ve had consistency in the front office, they’ve had consistency at coaching, they’ve had consistency of a philosophy moving forward.

We’ve undergone a change. Change brings a different dynamic obviously. But weather it’s players that were on the roster when I was here or roster moving forward, what we want to do is consistently hit on our college picks. In the last two years we have a total of 14, 5 from last year, 9 from this year. We need to have more years like this year to continue to build this roster, to be consistent, and be consistently in a spot where we can win championships.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

OK, so I just listened to the entire presser.

Good Lord is Emery football smart. Not only that, but the fact that he will stand in front of the media, and be that transparent, is just incredible. So impressed with him. How do the same owners that hire Angelo, turn around and hire Emery?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

everything he said about needing to build through the draft, build from within, was pretty amazing. after he signed bushrod, anderson, williams, etc... there was some hand wringing that emery didnt understand this and that he was spending too much on FA's... it pretty bold of him to come out, illlustrate just how out of whack we really are in relation to the rest of the division, basically throw angelo under the bus and all but say we had alot of shit that we needed to purge before we could make this a reality, and that it's a singular focus. it will happen.

/swwwwooooonnnnn
docc
Head Coach

Just amazing difference from Angelo.. Emery is a pro..something we were not used to hearing in the old regime..
Bearvengers
Pro Bowler

Xee you finally got an avatar! Mazel tov!
"The McCaskey's send their regards"

Follow me on the Tweeterz: @QuetzalcoatLEL
UOK
Site Admin

Actually Xee'd been using our Bear logo for awhile until I stole it from him and made it the default avatar for the board.
Bearvengers
Pro Bowler

UOK wrote:Actually Xee'd been using our Bear logo for awhile until I stole it from him and made it the default avatar for the board.
aha that explains a lot!
"The McCaskey's send their regards"

Follow me on the Tweeterz: @QuetzalcoatLEL
FireBrand
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK, so I just listened to the entire presser.

Good Lord is Emery football smart. Not only that, but the fact that he will stand in front of the media, and be that transparent, is just incredible. So impressed with him. How do the same owners that hire Angelo, turn around and hire Emery?
George is the new sheriff in town
"It's hard to measure what's behind that left nipple" - John Fox
Stay_Cool
MVP

FireBrand wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:OK, so I just listened to the entire presser.

George is the new sheriff in town
Good. Now LET'S GET BACK THE HONEY BEARS!!!
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!