What about the secondary?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

I like what Pace is doing with the rebuild but I'm confused about the secondary. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Tracy Porter and Kyle Fuller and Adrian Amos are awfully young. I get that we drafted some young guns but are we really ready to go to war with what we have back there?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm nervous about the safeties because they are going to be so inexperienced and Fangio was talking about how much instincts play a role at that position in his defense. Gun to my head I think it will be Amos and Jones-Quartey to start the season. I think Deon Hall will be a 4 phase special teams player to start and might get some burn if HJQ gets hurt or plays poorly. I think DeAndre Houston-Carson is a 'sleeper' to keep an eye on in this defense (nickel or safety), but I also think he's a year or so away from really making a difference on defense.

For the corners, I'm hoping Fuller takes another step this year and really improves on his press-man coverage. Porter impressed me last season so I'm just hoping he stays healthy and continues to teach the young kids how to properly prepare for a game with watching tape, etc.

I think Deiondre Hall isn't going to do much this season unless our slot corner gets hurt (I like Bryce Callahan, personally).
Last edited by G08 on Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IotaNet
MVP

I've asked this question elsewhere but what about Donte Whitner?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
UOK
Site Admin

I think the Bears are ok. It's raw because the rookies haven't taken the field yet. I think Bush and Amos will be fine.
Pagan
MVP

Basically the secondary has the chance of fielding the same exact players as last year = who weren't terrible. Even if none of the rookies pan out, we have last year's starters with another years worth of experience.

With the improved LB & Dline the secondary will look much better, no matter who's starting.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Pass Rush will be the best cure for the secondary.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote:I've asked this question elsewhere but what about Donte Whitner?
I think that is a 'break glass in case of emergency' option.

They believe Bush can win the job and they want to give him every chance/snap to do so.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

We'll have to see how the increased safety competition pushes the guys to improve. Overall, I think the improvements to the ILBs and the pass rush is going to help the DBs quite a bit.