Bears/Cutler trade saga: Trades being blocked, release next?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@AdamSchefter
Chicago Bears have actively started seeking a trade partner for quarterback Jay Cutler, per @JeffDarlington.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So 49ers, Jets, Browns, maybe Cards. I don't know cap issues but Arizona could use a plan B.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Last edited by Rusty Trombagent on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I'll feel bad if Jets bite. He'd probably just retire instead of working with Marshall again
Hematite
Player of the Month

Truthfully, I hate to see you go Jay. But I'm gonna love to watch you leave! You may not be the best QB in the league, but you are the best QB to ever wear a Bears uniform. You were the ultimate tease on the field, and also an ultimate stud off the field with your charitable work and other contributions. I wish you nothing but the best!!
G08
Hall of Famer

2 years and $33 million with $0 guaranteed.

Why would anyone bite on that?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

I think he gets cut and ends up in SF. That's really the most logical place. Maybe Miami if Tannehill has some sort of setback or won't be ready.

Saddens me a little. He's my favorite Bears QB. But...''tis time.
Funkster
MVP

wab wrote:I think he gets cut and ends up in SF. That's really the most logical place. Maybe Miami if Tannehill has some sort of setback or won't be ready.

Sorry but I doubt any team trades for Cutty. Teams already know he will be cut, why give up something when you don't have to? We also have to remember Cutler is coming off a torn labrum in his throwing arm. That's a 6 month recovery time for a regular person. Could be longer for someone who relies on his arm as his biggest strength as a QB.

I don't believe he ends up in SF, Miami and no way he ends up with the jets. I think if the bills move on from Taylor, he could possibly be a fit there. I can't see Cutler being a back up anywhere. I would say he would retire before he becomes a clip board holder.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

I guess his contract ranks him 19th in 2017 and 16th in 2018.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Jets while they continue to groom Hackenberg. I'd have to think a 5th would get it done.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

In similarly-likely-to-happen moves, I've officially send an email to Scarlett Johansson asking for a date.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Funkster wrote:
wab wrote:I think he gets cut and ends up in SF. That's really the most logical place. Maybe Miami if Tannehill has some sort of setback or won't be ready.

Sorry but I doubt any team trades for Cutty. Teams already know he will be cut, why give up something when you don't have to? We also have to remember Cutler is coming off a torn labrum in his throwing arm. That's a 6 month recovery time for a regular person. Could be longer for someone who relies on his arm as his biggest strength as a QB.

I don't believe he ends up in SF, Miami and no way he ends up with the jets. I think if the bills move on from Taylor, he could possibly be a fit there. I can't see Cutler being a back up anywhere. I would say he would retire before he becomes a clip board holder.
At what point in that post did I say he was going to get traded? I literally typed "I think he gets cut".
Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I guess his contract ranks him 19th in 2017 and 16th in 2018.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Jets while they continue to groom Hackenberg. I'd have to think a 5th would get it done.
I would say a big MAYBE if Bmarsh wasn't on the team. But unless they plan to cut Marshall, no way are these guys ever teammates again. The jets are aging fast. I don't see a player like Cutler being welcome in a city like NY.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Funkster
MVP

Sorry but I doubt any team trades for Cutty. Teams already know he will be cut, why give up something when you don't have to?
wab wrote:
Funkster wrote:
We also have to remember Cutler is coming off a torn labrum in his throwing arm. That's a 6 month recovery time for a regular person. Could be longer for someone who relies on his arm as his biggest strength as a QB.

At what point in that post did I say he was going to get traded? I literally typed "I think he gets cut".
Sorry about that man. I clumped my response to the title and your response together.. I was more so responding to your SF and Miami theory and that's why I quoted you.
G08
Hall of Famer

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account
‏@AllbrightNFL

Following
More
Rumored leading contender for Cutler has been the Jets, FWIW.

Adipost
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:In similarly-likely-to-happen moves, I've officially send an email to Scarlett Johansson asking for a date.
I'm pulling for you, bro.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Cutler ends up with the Jets. Jets win the Super Bowl next year.

Cutler, Forte, Marshall get rings on their fingers while the Bears have........
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
Funkster
MVP

RING4CHI wrote:Cutler ends up with the Jets. Jets win the Super Bowl next year.

April fools is still a month away!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote:In similarly-likely-to-happen moves, I've officially send an email to Scarlett Johansson asking for a date.
Too funny. :D

If there are multiple suitors, the price can go up higher than a 5th, I'd say as high as a 3rd. But that's wishful thinking right there.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I want to hear Mike Greenburg's reaction if this happens. :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Adipost
MVP

You forgot.....Martellus Bennet and Alshon Jeffery sign with the Jets.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I bet SF would take him if we traded Cutty and our 3rd overall to move up to 2nd overall. Or I bet Houston would take him if we packaged him with our 2nd to move into the 1st (even if we need to add a late round or a 2018 pick to do it. Asking for a straight up draft pick is useless and we'd be better off holding on to him until after this years draft and trying to find someone desperate like Minny was this last year.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
malk
Head Coach

There will be more than one suitor if he's cut so, since the price is already reasonable and, more importantly, with no guarantees, I can see us getting some kind of pick for him.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

I just can't see how it works out with the Jets/Marshall. They'll make nice for a season, but then it'll implode. His best chance for sustained success is probably SF or....gulp...Cleveland.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

While I would be surprised if any team ponies up anything for Cutler, knowing he will probably be cut, there are dumbass front office peeps who don't know what the hell they are doing.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I just can't see how it works out with the Jets/Marshall. They'll make nice for a season, but then it'll implode. His best chance for sustained success is probably SF or....gulp...Cleveland.

I think Cleveland would be ok for him ... and he'd be a hero if he helped make them a .500 team
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote:I just can't see how it works out with the Jets/Marshall. They'll make nice for a season, but then it'll implode. His best chance for sustained success is probably SF or....gulp...Cleveland.
Personally, I think his best chance is Houston. Great defense, strong running game and better than average receivers. Al he has to do in that system, in that weak division, is play ball control.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
Personally, I think his best chance is Houston. Great defense, strong running game and better than average receivers. Al he has to do in that system, in that weak division, is play ball control.
I think it really depends on what Houston does with Osweiler. If they move on from Osweiler (and his contract is structured in a way that they absolutely can) then Cutler makes a lot of sense.
G08
Hall of Famer

Cutler and a 7th to the Jets for their 6th.

wab
Mod

I think, in order, they most likely landing spots for Cutler are as follows:

1 - San Francisco - Little Shanny wasn't in Denver when Cutler was, but he runs the same offense. It all depends on how Lynch really feels about him. I think they'd prefer to have a vet for a couple years.

2 - Buffalo - Rick Dennison was the offensive coordinator in Denver when Cutler's success was at it's peak. Tyrod Taylor is also a pretty good fit in that offense...so it depends.

3 - Jacksonville - This is a sleeper option. It would be fun to see what Marrone (who runs an offense tailored to Cutler's strengths) could do with Cutler should they decide to move on from Bortles. I think Cutler could have the Jags in the playoffs next year in that division.

4. New York Jets - This all really depends on how well Cutler and Marshall can get along.

5. Houston - Again, depends on what they decide to do with Osweiler. He's not due any money past 2017, but the Texans would be on the hook for 25mil in dead money if they cut him before then.

6. Cleveland - They have a QB friendly system, and they aren't as bad as the cast of QB's they ran through last year made them look. I think he could give them at least some credibility, but in a tough division, this might not be the best landing spot for him.

7. Washington - They don't plan on letting Cousins go, but if things break down, they shoot to the top of the list. Washington was the favorite to land Cutler back when Denver put him on the market.

8. Miami - Another long shot, but if they are worried about Tannehil being ready, Gase may bring him in.

9. Arizona - Carson Palmer is old and fragile. Arians could want a veteran to hedge against Palmer's eventual injury.

10. Denver - This would be interesting. It's very unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
UOK
Site Admin

Miami or Houston feel most logical. Houston's got Osweiler on a very short leash, and chances are excellent he could be benched/supplanted by the end of the preseason. Having a veteran starter like Cutler there to fix their season should Osweiler suck would be a very valuable commodity for the Texans.

Next shot feels like Miami. Gase* has obviously shown he knows how to harness Cutler's few positive traits, and Jay's familiar enough with Pace to work with him again I'm sure. Tannehill is pretty good but his tenure may be coming to an end if he doesn't bloom this year. I think Dolphins would love the security blanket of having Jay should Tannehill get injured or more likely use Jay as a 1-season bridge for a rookie they'd draft in 2018.