Bears to sign QB Mike Glennon: 3 yr, $14.5M per

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet
As teams sort through the various QB options -- there are many -- 2 potential landing spots have emerged for Mike Glennon: #Bears and #Jets

BARF
G08
Hall of Famer

:rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:@RapSheet
As teams sort through the various QB options -- there are many -- 2 potential landing spots have emerged for Mike Glennon: #Bears and #Jets

BARF
I guess it could be worse....
thunderspirit
Head Coach

There's not hing wrong with Mike Glennon that being better at football wouldn't solve.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
WagonForce
MVP

Will this off season be some sort of reverse Kool-Aid?

Usually my optimism has started to ramp up when free agency starts, and by the time we're ready for training camp it's a runaway train that won't be stopped until the Superbowl parade. As we all know, this past year my optimism careened into a 3-13 crater of a season.

This year I seem convinced that the Bears will find a way to disintegrate down to the very foundation of the franchise, everyone will lose their jobs, and fans will don their jerseys, lock arms, and walk together out into Lake Michigan until we all disappear beneath the surface and into the wet embrace of oblivion.

So... Bears go undefeated this season?
Last edited by WagonForce on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

Sigh
Middleguard
MVP

He was the third quarterback taken in the draft behind E. J. Manuel and Geno Smith. And everybody got that right. There is absolutely nothing in his college or professional career to recommend him. But OMG he's SOOOOoooo tall!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Has more game experience than Jimmy G. and wouldn't cost as much.

That said...if the Bears were to kick the tires on someone, might as well be one of the quarterbacks that were on the roster last year.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

I'd legitimately rather have Hoyer than Glennon.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:I'd legitimately rather have Hoyer than Glennon.
Same, 10 times out of 10.
Adipost
MVP

The Bears have reached an all time low.
Funkster
MVP

Why are some surprised at this? With "everything on the table" any available QB will be looked at!

IMO, Glennon is not the answer.

It's funny how some use Hoyer's name as if it's a bad thing. He fits exactly what the bears say they want in a QB.
He systematically fits.
He's efficient.
He protects the football.
He takes what the defense gives him.
He spreads the ball around.
He's said he has no problem mentoring a rookie.

Resigning Hoyer should be the start of filling the QB position holes.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Adipost
MVP

Funkster wrote:Why are some surprised at this? With "everything on the table" any available QB will be looked at!

It's funny how some use Hoyer's name as if it's a bad thing. He fits exactly what the bears say they want in a QB.
He systematically fits.
He's efficient.

Hoyer has lost all confidence in his abilities and now refuses to throw the ball downfield, especially on 3rd down. He is incapable of running an offense, and pads his stats on uncontested check down passes on 3rd down.
wab
Mod

Adipost wrote:Hoyer has lost all confidence in his abilities and now refuses to throw the ball downfield, especially on 3rd down. He is incapable of running an offense, and pads his stats on uncontested check down passes on 3rd down.
Based on?
Funkster
MVP

Adipost wrote:
Funkster wrote:Why are some surprised at this? With "everything on the table" any available QB will be looked at!

He systematically fits.
He's efficient.

Hoyer has lost all confidence in his abilities and now refuses to throw the ball downfield, especially on 3rd down. He is incapable of running an offense, and pads his stats on uncontested check down passes on 3rd down.
You do bring out a good point about his abilities to convert 3rd downs. If my memory serves me, and correct me if I'm wrong, I remember penalties being a huge problem when Hoyer was under center. Regularly getting them behind in down and distance and electing not to force unmanageable situation and turn the ball over (Cutler/Barkley) but rather take a check down or short of the sticks completion to play the field position game.

He is very capable of running this offense, I believe more so than Cutler and Barkley. I don't see him having a problem pushing the ball down field but more so I see him having deep ball accuracy issues. I beielve this is why he throws back shoulder sideline deep balls.

Again, I don't believe he is the long term answer. But I do believe he is a great insurance plan and possible a bridge to Mahomes.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'd legitimately rather have Hoyer than Glennon.
Hoyer's a much safer bet to be better in 2017, but he has 0 upside
Glennon still has some potential to be better.

I wouldn't feel bad about the latter, unless they overpay.
It would certainly be more interesting from a fan perspective, vs knowing exactly what you're getting.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
malk
Head Coach

Funkster wrote:
Adipost wrote:

He systematically fits.
He's efficient.

You do bring out a good point about his abilities to convert 3rd downs. If my memory serves me, and correct me if I'm wrong, I remember penalties being a huge problem when Hoyer was under center. Regularly getting them behind in down and distance and electing not to force unmanageable situation and turn the ball over (Cutler/Barkley) but rather take a check down or short of the sticks completion to play the field position game.

He is very capable of running this offense, I believe more so than Cutler and Barkley. I don't see him having a problem pushing the ball down field but more so I see him having deep ball accuracy issues. I beielve this is why he throws back shoulder sideline deep balls.

Again, I don't believe he is the long term answer. But I do believe he is a great insurance plan and possible a bridge to Mahomes.
Throwing no interceptions this year is an achievement but it strikes me as a bit of an anomaly but in any case I don't really agree with your points:

He systematically fits. I think our system is adaptable rather than having a QB to fit it.
He's efficient. For the first time in his career! His career comp% is 59.5 and I'd expect him to regress to that mean. Also, even this year his failed completion % was 24.6%, 21st in the league.
He protects the football. Again, just this year. Last year for Houston he had an average 1.9% interception rate and the year before at Cleveland he was a poor 3.0%.
He takes what the defense gives him. Therefore he can't beat good defences.
He spreads the ball around. Fair enough.
He's said he has no problem mentoring a rookie. Fair enough, but it's because even he knows he isn't a starter!

I'm banging the same drum over and over but to not give Barkley a shot after a full off season programme to learn the offence, for a tiny price, is insane. His problem last year was him being ridiculously aggressive and getting the interceptions that come with it. He lead the league in FC% (10.9) and FC%/attempt (6.5), by large margins.

So you bring him back and give strict instructions that the interceptions must come down and you're happy for more throw aways to get there. If he can't do it you cut him. If you can then you've got a QB. Low risk, really high upside.

I mean come on, half of his interceptions came in one shit the bed game and being thrown to the wolves with 0 practise reps against Green Bay.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

malk wrote: He spreads the ball around. Fair enough.
FWIW He also never seemed to build any real chemistry with Jeffery...
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote:
malk wrote: He spreads the ball around. Fair enough.
FWIW He also never seemed to build any real chemistry with Jeffery...
Well considering Jeffery is a goner...that shouldn't be a problem moving forward.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:The Bears have reached an all time low.

you obviously have not been following the team for long if that is what you think

and let's keep this shit in some real perspective :
UOK wrote:@RapSheet

BARF
again, like with Romo, Kaepernick, Daniels, and others, it is a media puke cranking this shit out ... these are not statements by the team as to who they are bringing in

so why the hell are people taking mediot guesses as official team statements? the vast majority of this stuff is less valid than our own guesses and opinions
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Can't have too many backup QBs on your team, especially if you don't have a starting quality NFL quarterback.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

The all-time low was when the Bears traded a first round pick for Rick Mirer.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

RING4CHI wrote:
I kinda feel the low point was when the Seahawks packaged that pick to move up to #7 to draft Walter Jones? Or was it when the Bears traded a first round pick to the Browns for Mike Phipps that was then traded to the Rams in exchange for Ozzie Newsome? There really are too many "all time low" moments in the history of this franchise...
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Mike Glennon can't be the answer. I sincerely hope this doesn't mean we're not drafting a QB this year. I'd like to hold out hope that we draft Mahomes somehow.
Never Die Easy
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
RING4CHI wrote:
I kinda feel the low point was when the Seahawks packaged that pick to move up to #7 to draft Walter Jones? Or was it when the Bears traded a first round pick to the Browns for Mike Phipps that was then traded to the Rams in exchange for Ozzie Newsome? There really are too many "all time low" moments in the history of this franchise...
How about trading Mike Ditka for Jack Concannon?
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He seems like an odd fit, and I have concerns. However some are a little over dismissive. He is not that bad and had time to improve.

At 10 million though, fuck off.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Glennon is a step backwards from Cutler - even from Hoyer in all honesty. I'm praying these reports aren't true.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

God damnit. I don't hate this "tape". Only one game but he has a Joe Flacco feel to his game, doesn't he?[video][/video]
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote:[video][/video]

God damnit. I don't hate this "tape". Only one game but he has a Joe Flacco feel to his game, doesn't he?[video][/video]
Don't do it man. Don't start looking at highlights and getting semi-excited.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes Joe Flacco is clearly the comp but he could be more... I don't think so but will reserve judgement until I research again. I watched him at NC State. Alot because he was Wilson's replacement there. I just don't think it is a great choice.