Bears to sign QB Mike Glennon: 3 yr, $14.5M per

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@AlbertBreer
3m
Glennon gets $16M this year, $15M next year, $14M in 2019. There are roster bonuses due in 3/18 and 5/19 that front those years on the deal.

@AlbertBreer
7m
Bears QB Mike Glennon's full guarantee: $18.5 million. And $16 million of it is this year's money. Bottom line, this is a year-to-year deal.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well that's promising
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:@AlbertBreer
3m
Glennon gets $16M this year, $15M next year, $14M in 2019. There are roster bonuses due in 3/18 and 5/19 that front those years on the deal.

@AlbertBreer
7m
Bears QB Mike Glennon's full guarantee: $18.5 million. And $16 million of it is this year's money. Bottom line, this is a year-to-year deal.
This right here... we are not Osweilering this... Pace has faith in the guy to be a starter but if that doesn't work out in year one, dude will be gone in year two with minimal cap penalties... We'll have to see how the draft wrangles out but I have a feeling there will be a QB earlier rather than later. Pace isn't worried about Glennon's ego and will bring in a rookie just to create competition.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

3m

@AlbertBreer
7m
I hope to GOD that this means Glennon is here for a stop gap, because we aren't drafting a franchise QB until 2018. I love the deal, I love the structure of it. I am feeling better about this signing. I can still see us drafting one in rounds 3-6, but we aren't going all in on Watson.
IotaNet
MVP

BamaBear09 wrote:
3m

@AlbertBreer
7m
This right here... we are not Osweilering this... Pace has faith in the guy to be a starter but if that doesn't work out in year one, dude will be gone in year two with minimal cap penalties... We'll have to see how the draft wrangles out but I have a feeling there will be a QB earlier rather than later. Pace isn't worried about Glennon's ego and will bring in a rookie just to create competition.
Pace is a lot of things but he is not stupid, nor is he reckless. The way I read this is:

* For many reasons, Cutler had to go
* The guy he REALLY wanted (Garoppolo) was not available at a reasonable price
* Hoyer & Barkley were both tried and both failed
* Glennon was the next best QB option and shows some promise so he got a "pay-as-you-go" deal.
* Pace now has a little breathing room to bring in a developmental rookie QB as well as continue to build the team through the draft -- with HIS types of guys.

It ain't spectacular, and its not awe-inspiring but it is good, solid General-Managing.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Maybe he can succeed too. Jake delhomme hadn't done anything prior to fox picking him up in Carolina in 2003. Should have a strong running game and decent line to help him have a chance.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote:Maybe he can succeed too. Jake delhomme hadn't done anything prior to fox picking him up in Carolina in 2003. Should have a strong running game and decent line to help him have a chance.
The tackles need upgraded for it to be a decent line. Delhomme had Jordan Gross watching his ass.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think the Bears have spent way too much time digging into this year's crop of QBs to not draft one... I just don't see it happening at 3.

BPA at 3 and I think they'll monitor who, if any, falls in the draft and they will consider burning one of their 4th rounders to move back into the first to draft him. Or, since we don't have anything at corner, they might stick at #36 and take one of Kayaa or Peterman in round 3.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
malk
Head Coach

That's still a crap deal.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

The Bears will likely use one of their 4ths on a QB. They need too many other players CB/WR/OT/DL to do otherwise.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:The Bears will likely use one of their 4ths on a QB. They need too many other players CB/WR/OT/DL to do otherwise.
And there is too much talent to be had at corner and safety at #3 and #36.

3. Jamal Adams (S)
36. Kevin King (CB)
67. Nathan Peterman or Brad Kaaya (QB)
111. Some WR
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:That's still a crap deal.
How is that a crap deal?
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
How is that a crap deal?
I'll play devil's advocate. Essentially Bears were in competition with themselves. They knowingly and immediately offered him double what other interested teams were to drive away any possibility of being in a bidding war. They overpaid a little early so they wouldn't be strongarmed into overpaying a lot later.

HOWEVER they front-loaded the deal (wisely), essentially giving him carrots for 2018 and 19 to work toward, but wouldn't cost them much at all to get out from under should he be a complete disaster in 2017.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:
How is that a crap deal?
I'll play devil's advocate. Essentially Bears were in competition with themselves. They knowingly and immediately offered him double what other interested teams were to drive away any possibility of being in a bidding war. They overpaid a little early so they wouldn't be strongarmed into overpaying a lot later.

HOWEVER they front-loaded the deal (wisely), essentially giving him carrots for 2018 and 19 to work toward, but wouldn't cost them much at all to get out from under should he be a complete disaster in 2017.
I think its a good deal. Not great, but good. It is literally the anti-Osweiler contract.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
wab wrote:The Bears will likely use one of their 4ths on a QB. They need too many other players CB/WR/OT/DL to do otherwise.
And there is too much talent to be had at corner and safety at #3 and #36.

3. Jamal Adams (S)
36. Kevin King (CB)
67. Nathan Peterman or Brad Kaaya (QB)
111. Some WR
I see a trade down coming... all four of the top QBs should still be available at 3 the way things are going...

Garrett
Foster/Fournette - leaning more toward Fournette considering they just gave a FB 10.5m guaranteed... seems they want someone that runs well with a FB... so either Peterson or Fournette... doubt Peterson wants to play for a team coming off a 2-14 season though.

#3 - all top QBs to hopefully dangle in front someone who is in love with one of them and just needs to be sure they get their guy...
malk
Head Coach

And that shows up how misguided the thinking about the contract being ok for a QB is. We could have got the top free agent in any of our need positions and used #3 on a QB for the same money. Instead we spend $16m on a mediocre QB and the pick on another need.

Pace is a berk.

It's also a bad deal on its own merits. Wait to see what Barkley gets and then see how much extra we get from Glennon over him (if he plays for the 49ers, use Hoyer instead if need be). I get that Pace thinks he can be a proper starter but we'll all see.

We'll all bloody see all season.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

UOK
Site Admin

malk wrote:
And that shows up how misguided the thinking about the contract being ok for a QB is. We could have got the top free agent in any of our need positions and used #3 on a QB for the same money. Instead we spend $16m on a mediocre QB and the pick on another need.

Pace is a berk.

It's also a bad deal on its own merits. Wait to see what Barkley gets and then see how much extra we get from Glennon over him (if he plays for the 49ers, use Hoyer instead if need be). I get that Pace thinks he can be a proper starter but we'll all see.

1. What's a "berk?"

2. He was never going to do that. They got 6 games of tape and a whole season of coach insight on Barkley - more than enough to determine if he's worth hanging onto.
IotaNet
MVP

malk wrote: ... Wait to see what Barkley gets and then see how much extra we get from Glennon over him (if he plays for the 49ers, use Hoyer instead if need be) ...
Barkley was 1-5 and Hoyer was 1-4. Those stats are unacceptable.

All Glennon has to do is get us to 8-8 or 9-7 to be an improvement that can be lived with. All of the analysis I'm seeing says that he can do that if we surround him with the right pieces.
Last edited by IotaNet on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malk wrote:

Pace is a berk.

I don't want a QB out of this draft. Its one of the worst in the last several years. Next year is shaping up to be much better. I like Pace's move here.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote:1. What's a "berk?"
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=berk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:Next year is shaping up to be much better.
Next year's QB class is always better, until next year comes when next year's QB class will be better.

If you don't like any of this year's QBs, fine and dandy. But "next year" isn't a reason to not like them.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bears won't be on the hook for more than one year of Mike Glennon
If the Chicago Bears decide after one season they’ve seen enough of Mike Glennon, they won’t be stuck in a salary-dump situation like the Houston Texans with Brock Osweiler.

Make no mistake – Glennon cashed in after his four years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. His three-year, $45 million contract with the Bears fully guarantees him $18.5 million in the first 12 months, according to contract details obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

That includes a $3 million signing bonus, $5 million roster bonus, $8 million guaranteed base salary and $2.5 million through either incentives or a roster bonus next March. But the Bears could cut ties from there if it doesn’t work, with no further guaranteed money. And if it does work, they’ll have a pretty good deal on their hands.
ok ... that seems reasonable I suppose

then there's this :
Glennon’s 2018 base salary is $12.5 million. In 2019, he has a $2 million roster bonus due in March and a $12 million base salary. Because his signing bonus is just $3 million, the cap hit if the Bears ever cut him is negligible. His $15 million average per year ties for 20th among current quarterback contracts with, of all people, New England Patriots star Tom Brady.
which I find to be perversely humorous

Brady voluntarily is playing for less than his market value in order to keep getting those rings while others are sometimes asking for the moon (not saying Glennon did) and will probably only ever get into a Super Bowl if they buy a ticket
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

He's officially a Bear. Press conf at 2 pm.
Bulldog Turner
Rookie

I know a lot of people are down on Glennon but I really think it's a good move. I like the quarterback class in the draft but I would be hesitant to start any of them as rookies. There are a lot of people around the league who think Glennon deserves a shot to start, give him a season to see what he can do and draft. I think he's better then a lot of people think, and it shouldn't really effect the Bears draft plans.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Bulldog Turner wrote:I know a lot of people are down on Glennon but I really think it's a good move. I like the quarterback class in the draft but I would be hesitant to start any of them as rookies. There are a lot of people around the league who think Glennon deserves a shot to start, give him a season to see what he can do and draft. I think he's better then a lot of people think, and it shouldn't really effect the Bears draft plans.
Meaning the Bears could still take DeShaun Watson at 3? As much as I would love for that to happen, I doubt the Bears would draft a QB that high given that they just signed Glennon. But I hope I'm wrong.
Never Die Easy
malk
Head Coach

UOK wrote:
malk wrote:

Pace is a berk.

1. What's a "berk?"

2. He was never going to do that. They got 6 games of tape and a whole season of coach insight on Barkley - more than enough to determine if he's worth hanging onto.
Berk is both idiot and the link that Thunderspirit sent. I like it as people who don't swear let alone drop the c bomb use it unthinkingly.

On the second, obviously I'm just salty at the moment, the point you made earlier about bidding against ourselves is a good one. I also think that there's an element of paying him enough to make him legitimate, perhaps I'm being unfair but it infuriates me.

On Barkley I disagree pretty vehemently. We signed him after pre season and he was only elevated to the active roster for week three. Then one of the problems with the new CBA is a lack of practice time and this is felt most keenly at quarterback, as a #3 you get virtually no time. Then once he does get full reps as the starter, you're concentrating on game planning rather than installing the offence. Then factor in the game time which was forcing him to be aggressive (absolutely he got this wrong, he was too aggressive) and you don't have the best, long term, evaluation based on that tape. I loved most aspects of his play outside of the interceptions. Now of course they're a huge part of the game but, for a short time at the start of a career, I'd rather see too many interceptions rather than an inability to move the ball. The former is more correctable than the latter and he can definitely move the ball.

All this taken together leads me to believe that he should have been given the opportunity to showcase his ability for a full pre season. I'm confident he would have signed a deal that gave him few guarantees. I'm absolutely confident he would have signed one with a few million of guarantees just in year one. But what really gets me is that we could have signed him without crippling guarantees for three years, potentially giving us the most valuable contract (type) in sports for almost no downside. It's just bad management.

Of course they see more than I do but I'm convinced this is as much to do with Pace not thinking he could sell Barkley to Chicago if he misses in the draft and that pisses me off too.

Anyway, I said I'd be happy with Glennon earlier in the year so I'm just going to try to forget the contract amount and wish him the best. Good old Longneck the Red.

UOK
Site Admin

Gotta admit, Glennon's nailing his press conference. Sounds mature, poised, intelligent, friendly.

Apparently is tight with Eddie Royal and Ted Larsen, who spoke glowingly of the Bears organization. Made the decision easier.
wab
Mod

If he gets the Bears to the playoffs, I'll take everything I said back.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:If he gets the Bears to the playoffs, I'll take everything I said back.
Still gonna call him Albinosaurus Red, I hope....
wab
Mod

BamaBear09 wrote:
wab wrote:If he gets the Bears to the playoffs, I'll take everything I said back.
Still gonna call him Albinosaurus Red, I hope....
Forever and ever amen.
Bulldog Turner
Rookie

DaSuperfan wrote:
Bulldog Turner wrote:I know a lot of people are down on Glennon but I really think it's a good move. I like the quarterback class in the draft but I would be hesitant to start any of them as rookies. There are a lot of people around the league who think Glennon deserves a shot to start, give him a season to see what he can do and draft. I think he's better then a lot of people think, and it shouldn't really effect the Bears draft plans.
Meaning the Bears could still take DeShaun Watson at 3? As much as I would love for that to happen, I doubt the Bears would draft a QB that high given that they just signed Glennon. But I hope I'm wrong.
I was never personally convinced the Bears were going to take a Quarterback at 3. Watson has a lot of great traits but there is a high bust potential in all these quarterbacks, especially if they are forced to play early.

I think Pace has shown he will draft whoever he thinks is the best player available.