Jonah Trinnaman, WR, BYU
5'10.5" 192 lbs
4.30 dash (Gil Brandt mentiond 4.28)
12' broad jump
40.5" vertical
Wow, he’s almost as fast as Deonte Thompson! :lol:
Bad Flanders
MVP

Could it be that the Bears see this as; they've already got one guy with injury issues who was a number 1 pick and now another FA top guy with injury history also, so Cam's value is questionable because of his injury risk and also just his lack of fit in the scheme but he's also good soldier and a good guy. If this guy stays; he'll be under used at best and possibly not used at all, this isn't going to help him, but they don't want to cut him, that'll make people really wonder about his knee, so they tender him at 1.9 and tell him to go shopping for a better deal never intending to match any of it.

From this angle there would be no reason at all to put the 2nd rounder on him, they'd just have to keep him, but it gets him a great deal, much better for Cam to have the Saints try and put up a deal that they think might scare the Bears off from matching.

I mean... this could all just be good optics for the guys that are still in the Bears locker room... look at what the front office will do for a good soldier even if it's on the way out... It's a bit of a reach but think about it from a player's point of view.
G08
Hall of Famer

Adipost wrote:
G08 wrote:Keep an eye on this kid as a mid-to-late round pick for the Bears:

Jonah Trinnaman, WR, BYU
5'10.5" 192 lbs
4.30 dash (Gil Brandt mentiond 4.28)
12' broad jump
40.5" vertical
Wow, he’s almost as fast as Deonte Thompson! :lol:
I was thinking this dude:

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dspro ... &genpos=WR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

This does open things up for Tanner Gentry. And no I’m not being serious.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Nanky
Journeyman

I can understand the Bears not matching that deal, what I can't understand is not placing a 2nd round tender on him. It was a low cost way of keeping him around for 1 more year and see how he healed up and fit into the offense. It only would have cost $1M more to do that. I hope he lights it up in NO.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

No.

This was a mistake. There's no rationalizing in letting this guy walk away for less money than Neon Dion Sims got when we have a lot of cap space left for this time in the offseason.

Young WR, yes coming off an injury, that showed tremendous promise who would have increased his potential in the offense and by benefiting from the additional weapons we have on offense and another year of development from Biscuit.

A guy like that is worth less than a 2nd or 3rd string TE? No way.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote:No.

This was a mistake. There's no rationalizing in letting this guy walk away for less money than Neon Dion Sims got when we have a lot of cap space left for this time in the offseason.

Young WR, yes coming off an injury, that showed tremendous promise who would have increased his potential in the offense and by benefiting from the additional weapons we have on offense and another year of development from Biscuit.

I don’t understand why everyone gives so many shits about Sims.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

There are about 6 million reasons why.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The only reason I see for all of this is they don't think he can come back from the injury from what they have seen.

If he flames out with the saints we will know they are correct. If he doesn't they still could be correct if all our additions pan out.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Cam is going to have a great year for the Saints.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Cam is going to have a great year for the Saints.
Yeah, it's going to suck. He's going to a phenomenal situation for him, and the only way he fails is if his knee completely is trash. As much as I fucking hate the decision I'm at peace with it, but it's going to get re-litigated to death in the future.
BR0D1E86
MVP

wab wrote:

He’s our third string tight end, they’re paying him 6 million dollars, and they just let a solid receiver walk for less.

They’re not directly correlated, but the optics on it aren’t magnificent.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Excellent, 16 minute detailed discussion about Cam Meredith from 7:17-23:25. The recording time is before the Bears chose not to match. But they discuss why match and why not match. What is the effect if they match and what if they don't. And they share their opinions on what the Bears should do.

For the record, I didn't listen to this until just now.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote:The only reason I see for all of this is they don't think he can come back from the injury from what they have seen.

If he flames out with the saints we will know they are correct. If he doesn't they still could be correct if all our additions pan out.
This assessment ignores opportunity cost. What could the Bears have done had they kept Cam and utilized the resources used to bring in his replacement in another area? Maybe they're OK without him, but they could've been even better with him. Of course, there's another effect of opportunity cost that says what will they do with the $5M it would've cost to keep him.
Last edited by Mikefive on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

One thing I wonder about this is... What is the message they've just sent to the locker room? Do everything you're asked to do as a UDFA who develops into a legit NFL starting WR and by all indications works his tail off after a severe injury. Then you're a RFA and another team offers you fair starter dollars and the team the grew you into a player just says... We're not sure about your knee. See ya.

Is it as simple as... "Injuries happen... good luck?"

wab
Mod

So the Bears just lost Jerry Rice. Now I understand why everyone is so angry.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:So the Bears just lost Jerry Rice. Now I understand why everyone is so angry.
dont be that guy.
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

wab wrote:So the Bears just lost Jerry Rice. Now I understand why everyone is so angry.
oh my god, the whole board thinks the sky is falling because we lost a B- receiver recovering from both an acl and an mcl. last time i heard this group get so upset was when we lost that badass Alshon Jeffery who turned in an 800 yard season.

here's my prediction, Cam Meredith will have a good season in New Orleans either riding the pines still in recovery mode or hurt.

Simmie Cobbs in the 4th > oft-injured Cam Meredith
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad
Journeyman

Adipost wrote:
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:if we draft Simmie Cobbs in the 4th, we'll have a shit ton better of a receiver than Cam. we're acting like we just lost out on a pro bowler when, in reality, he is a huge injury risk who has proven he can put out slightly better than average production. i'm done with the marquess wilson/kevin white/cam meredith types who you can never count on. looks like Pace feels the same.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
lol. shouldn't you be off somewhere plagiarizing someone's work and passing it off as your own? hey, look at me, i need attention...i'm an xpurt just look at my pictures...fucking pathetic.
Mikefive wrote:
Adipost wrote:
MrPrettyBoyFancyLad wrote:if we draft Simmie Cobbs in the 4th, we'll have a shit ton better of a receiver than Cam. we're acting like we just lost out on a pro bowler when, in reality, he is a huge injury risk who has proven he can put out slightly better than average production. i'm done with the marquess wilson/kevin white/cam meredith types who you can never count on. looks like Pace feels the same.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ditto to Adi's response.
unfortunately that was your most memorable post of the year.

Simmie Cobbs > oft-injured Cam Meredith
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I think they are already rolling the dice with having only Gabriel as the only WR to not spen the entire season on the sideline. Plus the cost. I like Merrideth but it's kinda risky considering the rest of the WR core.
wab
Mod

RustyTrubisky wrote:
dont be that guy.
“Hyperbole”

Still. There are 33 pages about a guy with 77 career receptions.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
dont be that guy.
“Hyperbole”

He was the number one WR last year. He was poised to "break out" before injury. Local underdog guy story line was movie like. He is young, and we have seen him improve a lot. From a camp battle with Bellamy to a pretty good WR. It's not like this is a shitty player with no hope.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If things don't go right, we're going to be talking about this for a long time.

wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
dont be that guy.
“Hyperbole”

He was the number one WR last year. He was poised to "break out" before injury. Local underdog guy story line was movie like. He is young, and we have seen him improve a lot. From a camp battle with Bellamy to a pretty good WR. It's not like this is a shitty player with no hope.
I'm not disagreeing. I've said over and over that Meredith was one of my favorite players. I'm frustrated that he's gone. Maybe I just prepared myself better because I was pretty certain he wasn't coming back after they signed Robinson.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Does anyone know how Cam's contract would have effected next years cap? From a quick look at spotrac.com, it seems we have 29mil and only 30 players under contract for next season. I have to believe that has more to do with the situation then most are considering. I very well could be misreading things as the cap is not a strength of mine, but that number will shrink when we give extensions to Amos/Goldman and maybe some others. I also read that Meredith's contract could have gone earned him up to nearly 13 million based on performance. I am sure that also played a part. What is the breakdown of the contract? Was it front loaded, back loaded, evenly distributed?
G08
Hall of Famer

I believe Pace has a presser 3 days before the draft; I'm sure this will be brought up to him.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
dont be that guy.
“Hyperbole”

I'm not disagreeing. I've said over and over that Meredith was one of my favorite players. I'm frustrated that he's gone. Maybe I just prepared myself better because I was pretty certain he wasn't coming back after they signed Robinson.
That make sense. I really thought it was a no-brainer to bring him back and now I'm very frustrated. My expectations were dashed.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

Adipost wrote:
staleystarch wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:I'm a little shocked by this. I'm guessing they are thinking Christian Kirk now in the 2nd? Also I'd look at Jaleel Scott in the 6th as well.

I love Christian Kirk - both as a receiver and as a possible pro-bowl returner - but I don't feel like he's the speed guy that I think Pace/Nagy will be looking for.

But I'd love to see the Bears turn in a card with his name on it.
Kirk is projected as strictly a slot guy. We just signed Gabriel to be slot.
Kirk can play outside, and they signed Tre Burton to play in the slot. Gabriel is gonna get screens, jet sweep runs, and a couple of deep shots.
On further review you are correct on Gabriel. As for Kirk, he played almost exclusively in the slot in college and most draft experts, at least the ones I have been reading say he is a slot and would be a project to play outside. As for Burton, also true, but I am focusing on WRs.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox