I need to vent

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So I need a spot to vent, so you guys are going to be my outlet.

My wife's work had a contest between the various sales regions. The region my wife is in has actually only been writing business for about 16 months. Whichever region had the most sales won a trip to Chicago to go to a White Sox game in the corporate suite. Included flight, hotel, the game, transportation and diner with all the big wigs at some "fancy place." The region supervisor, top three sales agents and 2 other management types got to go and bring their plus one. My wife's region won by a pretty good margin. The region in New York City ALWAYS wins these contest we learned and they were second.

New York City was "butt hurt" over a bunch of hill billies from Arkansas beating them and they whined and bitch and got the company to change the rule to make it be the top 2 regions got to go. But due to room in the box, all the plus ones got axed.

It was going to be perfect trip as I was going to get to spend the day at training camp as well. One of the VPs that I've gotten to be friends with was taking care of it (they love my wife - last year she was rookie agent of the year and agent of the year, she wrote 22% more than the next agent).

Freaking pissed.
UOK
Site Admin

What a bunch of horseshit.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:20 am What a bunch of horseshit.
I know!!! I was taking notes from the thread @Umbali started to get some ideas for while we where there. The game was on a Tuesday so we were going to come up the weekend before. Total bullshit. The guy who is the VP over the entire southeast territory told them he wouldn't go and I could have his spot (like I said the love my wife as she is killing it right now) but the told him him "that wasn't fair." He asked them what was fair about changing the rules after the contest was over to pacify the New York group.

Rule number one with sales people don't jack around with their bonuses or contest winning.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:02 am So I need a spot to vent, so you guys are going to be my outlet.

My wife's work had a contest between the various sales regions. The region my wife is in has actually only been writing business for about 16 months. Whichever region had the most sales won a trip to Chicago to go to a White Sox game in the corporate suite. Included flight, hotel, the game, transportation and diner with all the big wigs at some "fancy place." The region supervisor, top three sales agents and 2 other management types got to go and bring their plus one. My wife's region won by a pretty good margin. The region in New York City ALWAYS wins these contest we learned and they were second.

New York City was "butt hurt" over a bunch of hill billies from Arkansas beating them and they whined and bitch and got the company to change the rule to make it be the top 2 regions got to go. But due to room in the box, all the plus ones got axed.

It was going to be perfect trip as I was going to get to spend the day at training camp as well. One of the VPs that I've gotten to be friends with was taking care of it (they love my wife - last year she was rookie agent of the year and agent of the year, she wrote 22% more than the next agent).

Freaking pissed.
You have every right to be pissed.

That kind of behavior is all too common in Corporate America.

The good employees, who carry the water, always wind up subsidizing the lack of performance of the lesser employees. Doesn't matter what department you're in or where you're at. I've seen that first hand several times. Then when you complain about it they spin the narrative to make you sound like a complainer. I've got stories like you wouldn't believe.

One thing to consider should this behavior continue.

The job market is scorching hot. Scorching. This is across every discipline I can see.

Wouldn't hurt to look for a place with a better comp package.
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Not only is it just unfair, but it ruins the fun for both! Going without your +1 takes a fun trip and turns it into an extension of work. Screw that I wouldn’t go at all.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

And companies wonder why employees become dissatisfied and leave when they're treated this way. Yeah, it wasn't required that there be a +1 but they extended the offer and then pulled it back after people were making plans.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?