If you're not watching Reservation Dogs...

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

karhu
Head Coach

...you should give it a shot. Final season just started on Hulu. About as vital and quick a show, in the old meanings of those words, as I can remember watching. Plenty funny, but never a cheap laugh. Plenty moving, but never manipulative. All heart, no sentimentality. The world's not sentimental about us, after all. It's tough and sometimes brutal and eventually kills us all without meaning it personally, and the characters here fight against that bleak stuff with all they've got, even when it's not quite enough. The only decent parallel I can think of is Breece D'J Pancake's body of short stories. Might be the best show ever.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Seconded, it's a great show. But I don't rank it above your other suggestion of South Side. I don't remember laughing as hard at anything as I did that show. Criminal that it was cancelled IMO.
wab
Mod

I've been watching Righteous Gemstones and have really found a new appreciation for Danny McBride.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:53 pm I've been watching Righteous Gemstones and have really found a new appreciation for Danny McBride.
That show is quite amazing. The characters are perfect and outrageous. Holy crap.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the suggestion, Karhu - will check it out.

I binge watch all sorts of stuff almost everything.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
karhu
Head Coach

Fascinating study in the next-to-last episode of the whole series. The lead actress, Kawennáhere Devery Jacobs, wrote a beautiful script. The direction's predictably terrific. Jacobs is great as usual. But for some reason they cast one of the worst actors ever to mawk over stage or screen, Ethan Hawke, to play the pivotal role of her dad. He's amazingly bad. Even plays '20s pothead as an '80s speed addict, in case that makes sense to anyone (we're all friends here, right? All worked construction in greater Chicago back in the day and needed a little bump to...aw, forget it).

Anyway, a great script and excellent directing really can overcome horrendous acting of a central role. Hawke destroyed Tom Stoppard's three-part history of the Russian Revolution when I saw it, made it a joke. Rez Dogs is more resilient. So again: maybe the best show ever.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.