Drake Maye Report

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Over the last week, I’ve watched all 6 UNC games this year, last years ACC title game vs Clemson, and their Holiday Bowl vs. Oregon and brother. This kid is playing NFL football down there in Chapel Hill.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Physically, Maye is in Andrew Luck's class. (I'm not comparing them in any other way except physical build and profile.)

Style-wise, he reminds me of Jared Goff or Carson Palmer. He has more mobility than those guys did, mind you.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

My personal observations and opinion is that Maye is the better prototypical nfl qb prospect. He’s played almost as much as Williams, but with lesser talent around him. More typical pro type offense.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Can he complete 1 out of 3 screen plays whilst having to retrieve the snap from anywhere from your ankles to a foot over your head, getting smashed up by defensive blitzes and your receivers running the wrong route?

If not, he’s no use in the Getsy offense
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:21 am Can he complete 1 out of 3 screen plays whilst having to retrieve the snap from anywhere from your ankles to a foot over your head, getting smashed up by defensive blitzes and your receivers running the wrong route?

Maybe Kirk Cousins can do that too?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:56 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:21 am Can he complete 1 out of 3 screen plays whilst having to retrieve the snap from anywhere from your ankles to a foot over your head, getting smashed up by defensive blitzes and your receivers running the wrong route?

Maybe Kirk Cousins can do that too?
I don’t think any QB can, which is why Poles needs to bin Getsy ASAP.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I watched him yesterday again, he's fun. Maybe a little inaccurate at times, but he threw a game losing interception last night after his LT was a turnstile and got him murdered... He'll fit right in here.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's been compared to a Josh Allen and to Justin Herbert.
EricTighe
MVP

Not as accurate as Herbert or Allen.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:48 pm Not as accurate as Herbert or Allen.
Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in college and struggled with accuracy his first year or two in the nfl.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:26 pm
Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in college and struggled with accuracy his first year or two in the nfl.
He means Grayson Allen (90%+ accuracy on nut shots).
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yeah, to be fair, Josh Allen at Wyoming wasn't as accurate as Josh Allen is now.
KFFL refugee.

LacertineForest
MVP

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:06 am

:D

Speaking of the Grayson Allen school of testicle torture, this happened last weekend:

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:03 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:06 am

:D

Speaking of the Grayson Allen school of testicle torture, this happened last weekend:

Me (dressed head to toe in Duke basketball gear): That's just boys bein boys. Let em play!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Does anybody else have a problem with an HC named Matt, a GM named Ryan and a QB from NC all over again?

EricTighe
MVP

That was my point. Nor is he as big or as athletic as Allen.

The bottom line is there are no QB's is this draft with the physical attributes of Fields. Not even Caleb Williams.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:47 am

That was my point. Nor is he as big or as athletic as Allen.

The bottom line is there are no QB's is this draft with the physical attributes of Fields. Not even Caleb Williams.
How far are those physical attributes getting fields?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

From Lambert at SM (take it as you will);

The Bears look at 3 attributes of a QB: accuracy, decision-making, and arm strength. At least Getsy seems to also value pocket poise and arm strength. Here's a comparison of Williams and Mayes on the 3 attributes:

Accuracy: Williams. He hits pases both from the pocket and when on the run, regardless of the angle and the length of the pass

Decision-Making: Mayes. How often and how quickly the QB finds the open man, INTS are too variable to judge solely on. Mayes finds guys with timing and rhythm. Williams has a tendency to hold the ball too long

Arm Strength: Mayes. Neither guy is lacking in this category. Williams can bomb passes. Both Mayes is compared to Herbert and Allen for a reason. It is thought he can throw better in the tighter NFL windows he will be shown.

Pocket Poise: Mayes. Williams seems more comfortable out of the pocket. Mayes operates better within one, handling pressure well and going through his progressions

Experience: Williams. He has started 32 games to date going back to playing for Oklahoma, including several big games. Mayes has started 24 games so far (not as few as Trubiskey's 13 games)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i watched the whole unc/duke game yesterday, it was a blast. Mayes wasnt perfect (had one particularly ugly int) but it was a fun as hell game and I'm kind of falling in love with him. Rusty Trubisky -> Rustin Fields -> Rusty Trombagent -> Drakey Trombone (????)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:38 pm i watched the whole unc/duke game yesterday, it was a blast. Mayes wasnt perfect (had one particularly ugly int) but it was a fun as hell game and I'm kind of falling in love with him. Rusty Trubisky -> Rustin Fields -> Rusty Trombagent -> Drakey Trombone (????)
Maybe quit changing your name and ruining our quarterbacks!
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:38 pm i watched the whole unc/duke game yesterday, it was a blast. Mayes wasnt perfect (had one particularly ugly int) but it was a fun as hell game and I'm kind of falling in love with him. Rusty Trubisky -> Rustin Fields -> Rusty Trombagent -> Drakey Trombone (????)
Rusty Duck Boner?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I fear for Rusty if we draft Penix

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Derrick Klassen studies mostly QBs for Bleacher Report and the 33rd team. He predicted Stroud would be a success, better as a prospect than Young. He predicted that Trubisky would be failure and that Tua, while a good QB, could only take his team so far into the playoffs. Klassen thinks that Drake Mayes, not Caleb, is the #1 QB in his class, with a comp of Justin Herbert, has the most upside, has traits Poles values, and should be the Bears pick at #1:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... -2024-qb1/
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Honestly the hope i've secretly been harboring for awhile now is we drop down to two, fleece Washington a bit, and take Drake Maye. Everybody's so hung up on Caleb or Justin, but there's still a reality where we can trade the pick (and Justin) and take a QB.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:07 pm Honestly the hope i've secretly been harboring for awhile now is we drop down to two, fleece Washington a bit, and take Drake Maye. Everybody's so hung up on Caleb or Justin, but there's still a reality where we can trade the pick (and Justin) and take a QB.
I'm kind of here, and that's in part because I'm not convinced Williams will be viewed as All That and a Bag of Chips. (He's talented as all get-out, no question; but I keep coming back to Poles' comments about a player's makeup and mindset — backed up/endorsed by Josh Lucas' comments about guys being "wired right" — to give me lots of apprehension about that part of CW's eval.)

I'm not sure I'm sold on Maye either, in no small part due to 25 games started. But then that's only three fewer than JJ McCarthy started (yes, the latter has a championship as part of that), so maybe it's less of a big deal than I'm thinking it is. He certainly has the prototype build for QB.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Jayden Daniels may be the best one of the 3. Very good pocket passer, excellent deep ball, fast release, can extend plays with his legs if needed. Has been compared to Lamar and to Randall Cunningham.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:28 pm Jayden Daniels may be the best one of the 3. Very good pocket passer, excellent deep ball, fast release, can extend plays with his legs if needed. Has been compared to Lamar and to Randall Cunningham.
I think ultimately he might be also. But he is raw. I watched a lot of his full game film, and my biggest complaint for him is he gets into staring contests with his receivers at times. A lot of talent, but Maye has a bit more nuance to his game of exaggerating fakes, and looking off defenders.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

My biggest holdup with Daniels is that he's still pretty raw and he's basically the same age as Fields.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

So now he's being compared by some to Cutler. Another evaluation of him:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... e-revenge/