6 names to add this offseason

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

I think no matter the QB, the expectation for 2024 is playoffs. This roster has improved significantly the past two offseasons, but this upcoming offseason will be the most challenging for Poles and crew. Give me 6 names, 3 through free agency and 3 through the draft that you would consider a perfect offseason. Any positions…as far as draft, tell me where you take the player

Draft

QB Caleb Williams -1 overall
DE Dallas Turner- 9 overall
WR Keon Coleman- 2nd round

Free agency-

Safety Antoine Winfield
RB Saquan Barkley
OC Tyler Biadasz
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good concept!

Draft: MHjr (after trade down to Wash or NE), Bowers (#9), best C in the draft (with the 2nd rd pick from the trade down)
FA: Hunter, Winfield, the C from Seattle
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

With free agency it all comes down to the price. Perhaps people's lists should include how much their free agent targets are likely to get paid or perhaps include one top-tier, one mid-tier and one under-the-radar option?

Saquon Barkley wouldn't be on my list. Spotrac has his market value as about $10m a year and I just don't believe he's worth that with 6 years tread on his tires. I'd rather Poles looks to the draft to acquire another RB. The vast majority of the most productive RBs were drafted outside the first round, with the second round being a particular sweet spot (although of course Poles doesn't have a pick in that round at present).
cblaz11
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:32 am With free agency it all comes down to the price. Perhaps people's lists should include how much their free agent targets are likely to get paid or perhaps include one top-tier, one mid-tier and one under-the-radar option?

Saquon Barkley wouldn't be on my list. Spotrac has his market value as about $10m a year and I just don't believe he's worth that with 6 years tread on his tires. I'd rather Poles looks to the draft to acquire another RB. The vast majority of the most productive RBs were drafted outside the first round, with the second round being a particular sweet spot (although of course Poles doesn't have a pick in that round at present).
My thought with Barkley is that with a rookie QB, we must run the ball successfully. I’d be ok overpaying for a RB while we have our QB on a rookie deal. The transition from college to the pros for a QB can be boiled down to a good oline, and 2nd and 6 vs 2nd and 9.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:36 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:32 am Saquon Barkley wouldn't be on my list. Spotrac has his market value as about $10m a year and I just don't believe he's worth that with 6 years tread on his tires. I'd rather Poles looks to the draft to acquire another RB. The vast majority of the most productive RBs were drafted outside the first round, with the second round being a particular sweet spot (although of course Poles doesn't have a pick in that round at present).
My thought with Barkley is that with a rookie QB, we must run the ball successfully. I’d be ok overpaying for a RB while we have our QB on a rookie deal. The transition from college to the pros for a QB can be boiled down to a good oline, and 2nd and 6 vs 2nd and 9.
The Bears haven't had much problem running the ball successfully and I don't believe Barkley would move the needle by much. I'd be surprised if Poles would make that move given he allowed Montgomery to slip through his fingers for several million less. There are other positions it would be better to invest money in.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:36 am

The Bears haven't had much problem running the ball successfully and I don't believe Barkley would move the needle by much. I'd be surprised if Poles would make that move given he allowed Montgomery to slip through his fingers for several million less. There are other positions it would be better to invest money in.
I will never push for paying a running back. It makes no sense to me. But, if we move on from Justin we do need to think about our running game. I am quiet confident in saying Justin and the threat he presents is a huge reason why the running game was so successful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I would define the Perfect Offseason as:

Draft
DE Maxx Crosby - Cost being a future first round draft choice similar to DJ Moore in last year's trade down.
WR Rome Odunze - #9 overall draft pick.
S Kamren Kinchens - Second round pick as part of the trade down or at #13 which is the pick from the Raiders.

Free Agency
C Tyler Biadasz - This OL desperately needs that accomplished veteran anchor who can lead. This guy is a true center, not a guard convert, going all the way back to college. I'd pay him whatever he wants.
CB Jaylon Johnson - Does resigning my own guy count? While I am skeptical about paying him because he saved his best year for his contract year, I do think that all of our CBs would benefit from the much improved pass rush and I'd like to see what he would do.
A quality punter.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

•A solid reliable good Center is priority 1
•If Tee Higgins makes it to FA then I’d get him.
•Danielle Hunter

Draft:
•A center definitely 2nd or 3rd round and I want Van Pran, Frazier or Powers-Johnson.
• T J Tampa CB Iowa State (2nd round)
• Calen Bullock S Utah (3rd round)

So at some point I’m going to need a trade down to get 2 second/third rounders :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Free Agent Signings:
RB Austin Eckler: 3 yrs, $22,367,367. Johnson is a nice RB who is good at many things, but not great, So it'd be nice to have a true weapon out of the back field. A committee between the 2 would average around 8 mill a year. Throw in a later round draft pick and that's still a position of strength. (projecting LAC to sign AJ Dillon)
WR Kendrick Bourne: 3 yrs, $14,657,498. We only have 4 WRs on the roster at this point. Even with draft projections, I believe we'll need to sign a mid level WR who is capable of making plays, and has some experience.
DE Josh Allen: 5 yrs, $119,931,520. There are some nice prospects in the draft, but it's hard to project what they will do in the NFL. I don't think Burns makes it to FA, so my 2nd guy is Allen.
QB Drew Lock: 2 yrs, $5,550,000. Lock comes over to help install the Waldron offense. Him and Bagent compete for primary back up.

Draft:
Trade: 1:1, 5:143 to Arizona for 1:4, 1:27, 2:35, 7:224, 7:241 (Arizona falls in love with Marvin Harrison Jr, and doesn't believe QBs go 1,2,3)
1:4 Malik Nabers, WR LSU: Play maker who will wreck havoc on NFL secondaries.
1:9 Jayden Daniels, QB LSU: I think he "slides" a bit due to being a bit more raw then Williams or
1:27 Tyler Nubin, S Minnesota: Jackson's departure leaves a big hole, and we lose out on the smaller Kinchens, but Nubin is a hawk who can also tackle.
2:35 Jackson Powers Johnson, C Oregon: Definite maybe that we finally addressed the C position.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Draft:
QB: Drake Maye
TE: Brock Bowers
C: Jackson Powers-Johnson

FA:
WR: Gabe Davis, Bills
DE: Bryce Huff, Jets
S: Kyle Dugger, Pats

If allowed a few more FA, I'd poach Jon Runyan, G, Packers to weaken them and WR Calvin Ridley, Jags or Tyler Boyd, Bengals. I'm assuming Tee Higgins is franchised by the Bengals but if not, he's going to be the FA who gets a shockingly big contract from someone. I'd rather the Bears look at one of the other big fast WRs in the draft (Legette, SC, Adonai Mitchell, TX, Johnny Wilson, Florida State
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I have no real basis for this opinion, but I just don’t think Tee Higgins is any good.
cblaz11
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:26 pm Free Agent Signings:
RB Austin Eckler: 3 yrs, $22,367,367. Johnson is a nice RB who is good at many things, but not great, So it'd be nice to have a true weapon out of the back field. A committee between the 2 would average around 8 mill a year. Throw in a later round draft pick and that's still a position of strength. (projecting LAC to sign AJ Dillon)
WR Kendrick Bourne: 3 yrs, $14,657,498. We only have 4 WRs on the roster at this point. Even with draft projections, I believe we'll need to sign a mid level WR who is capable of making plays, and has some experience.
DE Josh Allen: 5 yrs, $119,931,520. There are some nice prospects in the draft, but it's hard to project what they will do in the NFL. I don't think Burns makes it to FA, so my 2nd guy is Allen.
QB Drew Lock: 2 yrs, $5,550,000. Lock comes over to help install the Waldron offense. Him and Bagent compete for primary back up.

Draft:
Trade: 1:1, 5:143 to Arizona for 1:4, 1:27, 2:35, 7:224, 7:241 (Arizona falls in love with Marvin Harrison Jr, and doesn't believe QBs go 1,2,3)
1:9 Jayden Daniels, QB LSU: I think he "slides" a bit due to being a bit more raw then Williams or
1:27 Tyler Nubin, S Minnesota: Jackson's departure leaves a big hole, and we lose out on the smaller Kinchens, but Nubin is a hawk who can also tackle.
2:35 Jackson Powers Johnson, C Oregon: Definite maybe that we finally addressed the C position.
Really like Nubins game…I’m looking forward to seeing him at the combine
cblaz11
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:58 pm I have no real basis for this opinion, but I just don’t think Tee Higgins is any good.
I almost feel the same way about Bowers in the first round lol…I think that would be a terrible decision for the Bears
dplank
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:58 pm I have no real basis for this opinion, but I just don’t think Tee Higgins is any good.
I almost feel the same way about Bowers in the first round lol…I think that would be a terrible decision for the Bears
Yea could be
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I think Higgins is quality, but he'll never outplay the contract he signs.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:19 pm I think Higgins is quality, but he'll never outplay the contract he signs.
Higgins is Alshon Jeffery. He's out there dominating at WR2 and some GM's gonna throw too much money at him to be wr1.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Deserves its own thread :lol:

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:07 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:26 pm Free Agent Signings:

Draft:
Really like Nubins game…I’m looking forward to seeing him at the combine
Nubin isn't necessarily as dynamic of a sideline to sideline center fielder as Kinchens (at least he tended to be used more in a cover 2 shell and Kinchens seemed to have more center fielder responsibilities), but he definitely is a solid tackler and can hold up in coverage on one side of the field. The extra size he has and his somewhat consistent stats gives me a good feeling for him.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
duckherd50
Player of the Month

Draft:
Caleb Williams 1.1
Marvin Harrison Jr at 1.3 (trade #9, Justin Fields to Patriots).
Zach Frazier C

FA:
Chase Young 2 years 28 million
a safety
Interior OL
TE
WR
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

FA:
Focus the big bucks in free agency on defense:

1. EDGE: Danielle Hunter $18M
2. Corner: Jaylon Johnson$18M
3. DL: Bring Back Justin Jones $6M

Draft:
Build a young offense around Caleb Williams

4. C: Graham Barton in the 2nd if you can get that trade for Fields
5. WR: Brandon Rice, to pair with Caleb in the 3rd
6. OG: Zac Zinter in the 4th (assuming his broken leg checks out)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:51 am FA:

Good luck getting Hunter for $18m! :rofl:

Good luck getting Johnson for $18m too although that's somewhat closer to his likely valuation.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 am

Good luck getting Johnson for $18m too although that's somewhat closer to his likely valuation.
Can’t we just tag JJ for 18M?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

He swings a mean driver, though.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am Can’t we just tag JJ for 18M?
About $18.5m yes. It wouldn't be the ideal outcome for anyone though.
wab
Mod

What we do know, is that Poles won't get caught up in bidding wars (based on what happened with McGlinchy/Hargrave).
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

$18 million, $22 million, whatever...The Bears can easily structure a 3-4 year contract which comes in at a bit lower in year one if they so choose.

The key point I'm trying to make is that the bears should put their major FA investments into filling out the remaining holes on their already very strong defense. They should use their draft capital to acquire playmakers which support their new franchise quarterback on offense while he's on a rookie contract.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:21 am
dplank wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:33 am

$18 million, $22 million, whatever...The Bears can easily structure a 3-4 year contract which comes in at a bit lower in year one if they so choose.

The key point I'm trying to make is that the bears should put their major FA investments into filling out the remaining holes on their already very strong defense. They should use their draft capital to acquire playmakers which support their new franchise quarterback on offense while he's on a rookie contract.
Yes this is "GM building through the draft 101", agree completely. You look to fill your major holes BEFORE the draft if at all possible, allowing you more freedom to draft BPA. It won't always work perfectly, but it should be the general goal/idea. If we get the C from Seattle, Hunter from Minn, and re-up JJ we don't have any major holes on our roster except for WR2 (but at least we have the hardest part covered in WR1), and FS. This lines up well with the strength of this draft, which is WR, so we just need to think "use of of our 1st round picks on WR, wherever that value is best" and otherwise we are pretty free to draft however we want.
wab
Mod

Trying to look at this wholistically and practically:

Free Agency:
Evan Brown - Center from Seattle.
- Not a superstar, but very steady and will only be 27
- Knows the offense

Colby Parkinson - TE from Seattle
- Perfect complement to Kmet and should be cheaper than Fant
- Moves incredibly smooth for a man is size (6'7 265)
- Waldron loves him some TEs and knowing the offense will help

K'Lavon Chaisson - Edge from Jacksonville
- Got caught up in a scheme change in Jacksonville, but has loads of potential as a pass rusher
- I prefer Hunter, but I fear he will price himself higher than the Bears are willing to spend

Draft:
Jayden Daniels - Pick 2 after a trade down with Washington.
- I have come to accept that Fields is gone.
- I prefer Drake Maye, but I think Daniels is more ready to play right away and have a Stroud-like season

Keon Coleman - Pick 14ish after a trade down from #9.
- This is assuming that Nabers and Odunze are gone

Jaheim Bell - Round 2ish from either the pick the Bears get in a trade down in R1, or a pick they get from Fields
- Bell is one of my favorite players in the draft and is a perfect "move" addition to the TE group.

I have way more than 6 names, but these are the guys I'm focused on for the purposes of this thread.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

This is why I didn’t quote figures :lol:

wulfy
MVP

Free Agency:
Resign or Tag Jaylon Johnson, either way don't let him get out the door
DE Danielle Hunter
WR Curtis Samuel

Makes me sad to say this, but trade JF1 to Atlanta for a R2 and R3 (43 and 74)

Draft:
1:1 QB Caleb Williams, USC
1:9 WR Malik Nabors, LSU
R2 (43): 3T Braden Fiske, Florida State
R3 (74): OC Zach Frazier, West Virginia
(75): FS Javon Bullard, Georgia