Biggs: Not a question if Bears draft a QB, it's simply which one

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:47 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:00 am

Well, the survey of (5? 7?) league GMs came back 100% that they'd draft one.
And possibly the most plugged-in team source says it's definite that they're drafting one.

So I don't think it's too mysterious.

This part, I'm not so sure is certain yet. Besides just basic due diligence, I think there's legitimate options and deciding to do. Young over Stroud came out wrong and you don't want to repeat that.
If Poles is going to go there with drafting a QB I don’t know if he’d take Williams.

The supposed disinterest in the Bears and the mental weakness would all seem like turnoffs.

Remember the alleged character concerns he had about Carter? Maybe the same thing here.

It could very well be Maye. There are no negatives about the guy.

That and well….#10 from UNC, a GM named Ryan and an HC named Matt.

Time is a flat circle.

I am pretty sure the whole “rumor” about Williams was BS started by sports hack journalists/bloggers.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:59 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:47 pm

If Poles is going to go there with drafting a QB I don’t know if he’d take Williams.

The supposed disinterest in the Bears and the mental weakness would all seem like turnoffs.

Remember the alleged character concerns he had about Carter? Maybe the same thing here.

It could very well be Maye. There are no negatives about the guy.

That and well….#10 from UNC, a GM named Ryan and an HC named Matt.

Time is a flat circle.

I am pretty sure the whole “rumor” about Williams was BS started by sports hack journalists/bloggers.
Why wouldn't Williams himself refute it? Or did he and I just missed it?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:02 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:59 pm

Why wouldn't Williams himself refute it? Or did he and I just missed it?
His people did recently when Cowherd picked it up.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 am

And possibly the most plugged-in team source says it's definite that they're drafting one.

This part, I'm not so sure is certain yet. Besides just basic due diligence, I think there's legitimate options and deciding to do. Young over Stroud came out wrong and you don't want to repeat that.
Do you think there’s credibility behind the rumors Williams does not want to play for the Bears?

I was the one who first posted that rumor, back about 6 months ago.
I wasn't convinced then, but considered the possibility significant and meaningful.

At this point, I rate the likelihood it's true lower.
He may be somewhat apprehensive about Chicago right now (and he should be). But most teams that are in sniffing distance of the top pick are usually a mess, too. And if the Chicago thing were true, I don't think they would have made such a firm statement to whoever it was (Cowherd?).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
LacertineForest
MVP

Just listened to the Biggs bit, and man, he sounds downright disdainful towards the idea that they won't use the #1 overall to draft a QB. That's a guy who sounds absolutely convinced and annoyed that he has to keep explaining it to people.
Last edited by LacertineForest on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noots
Assistant Coach

The irony here of all this though is that we actually are looking at a 7 win team here. And our shit show of a team is LIGHT YEARS better than Washington, who has been a clusterfuck for years. Even if he IS from that area, he also has to know it's ASS.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:46 pm Just listened to the Biggs bit, and man, he sounds downright disdainful towards the idea that they won't use the #1 overall to draft a QB. That's a guy who sounds absolutely convinced and annoyed that he has to keep explaining it to people.
You noticed that too huh?

I mean just seeing the reactions on this board, it's easy to see why Biggs would be annoyed.

Like my gramps used to say: "Reality is a Bitch"
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wulfy
MVP

LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:09 pm If I was Poles, I would be talking to everyone about everything. I would be throwing down so much smoke that nobody had a goddamn clue what I was really doing. At the very least, you would be able to get all of the offers and make an evaluation of everything with a complete picture if you were talking to everyone about trading Justin and the #1 pick.
I 100% think he is.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Should be noted that towards the end of the full interview with Haugh, Biggs says that when he saw the reports about the Bears needing a 'historic' haul for the #1 pick - he interpreted that as the Bears saying 'we're using the 1st pick, but if you're interested in Justin - please call us'.

I think its much more likely this is how the media is being used to send messages rather than feeding Biggs outright false information.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Its likely true. It's the only thing that makes logical sense.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Let's assume that Brad Biggs is right and drafting a new QB at 1.01 is a done deal. In that scenario, the exceptionally strong sentiment from so many current and former coaches, players, "insiders," pundits and NFL personalities about why the Bears should stick with JF1 should be the smoke screen that Poles is working to propagate.

The high level of appreciation currently on display for Fields, his progress this year, his leadership, character and work ethic and the accepted notion that it was the poor environment that held him back much more than the player himself, is exactly what Poles needs the entire market to believe.

The more Fields is regarded as a QB worth investing in-- worth building a franchise around, the more bidders will emerge. The more bidders, the higher the price will rise.

This year, King Poles' mastery will not be on full display when he drafts Caleb at #1 or even when he pulls a small trade back from #9 and still gets his pass rusher. No, King Poles will make his glorious return in the '24 draft when he beats all the estimates and pulls in another first rounder for JF1.

That outcome is definitely in play.
docc
Head Coach

I just got a feeling that JF1 will be a better player than MS. Caleb.. Times will get tuff..will his backbone be stronger than Justin's ?

I saw most of Caleb's games here in Pac12 (RIP) land.. was not really impressed...but I am no gridiron Nostradamus.. Some players that are used to success and adulation and never show much (except crying in Momma's arms) in gut check time..
JF1 does got the guts and has untapped talent...

Doccstradamus has spoken..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 pm Let's assume that Brad Biggs is right and drafting a new QB at 1.01 is a done deal. In that scenario, the exceptionally strong sentiment from so many current and former coaches, players, "insiders," pundits and NFL personalities about why the Bears should stick with JF1 should be the smoke screen that Poles is working to propagate.

The high level of appreciation currently on display for Fields, his progress this year, his leadership, character and work ethic and the accepted notion that it was the poor environment that held him back much more than the player himself, is exactly what Poles needs the entire market to believe.

The more Fields is regarded as a QB worth investing in-- worth building a franchise around, the more bidders will emerge. The more bidders, the higher the price will rise.

This year, King Poles' mastery will not be on full display when he drafts Caleb at #1 or even when he pulls a small trade back from #9 and still gets his pass rusher. No, King Poles will make his glorious return in the '24 draft when he beats all the estimates and pulls in another first rounder for JF1.

That outcome is definitely in play.
If the poor environment was an excuse to retain Eberflus, why isn't it one to retain Fields?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:49 pm
LacertineForest wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:46 pm Just listened to the Biggs bit, and man, he sounds downright disdainful towards the idea that they won't use the #1 overall to draft a QB. That's a guy who sounds absolutely convinced and annoyed that he has to keep explaining it to people.

I mean just seeing the reactions on this board, it's easy to see why Biggs would be annoyed.

Don't know what he'd be annoyed about. As I've stated a ton of times, there is merit both choices. Fields isn't McCown who early on showed he was a complete bust - but he did have some moxie when he was drafted. It's reasonable for folks to think that given a better staff to work with and more talent around him, he can be a very good NFL QB.

Same thing, he still has shown limitations that can lead one to conclude he can't get to where he needs to be and move on.

The fact others may question his opinion doesn't seem to be a basis to get worked up over.

WAB edit: you know better
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Love ya, @Arkansasbear, but please don't.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, I don't chime in much regarding either QB. I am quite the pessimist when it comes to the Bears. With over 50 yrs of fandom, I have grown not to expect much.

With regard to JF and Williams, knowing the QB history of this franchise, I am inclined to feel/believe that no matter which direction they take, it will not work out.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:47 pm Well, I don't chime in much regarding either QB. I am quite the pessimist when it comes to the Bears. With over 50 yrs of fandom, I have grown not to expect much.

With regard to JF and Williams, knowing the QB history of this franchise, I am inclined to feel/believe that no matter which direction they take, it will not work out.
I'm in that boat with you. If we draft Caleb and trade Fields, within 2 years Fields has an MVP and Super Bowl Trophy. If we ride with Fields, it turns out we have seen his ceiling and Caleb is rookie of the year and has 2 Super Bowl trophies before his rookie deal is up. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:35 pm Love ya, @Arkansasbear, but please don't.
I wouldn't do that. Heck, even if I wanted to do it, I don't know. Kind of like when people post a video and they have it start at a certain point. Just one of the mysteries I haven't mastered yet.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:24 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:49 pm

Don't know what he'd be annoyed about. As I've stated a ton of times, there is merit both choices. Fields isn't McCown who early on showed he was a complete bust - but he did have some moxie when he was drafted. It's reasonable for folks to think that given a better staff to work with and more talent around him, he can be a very good NFL QB.

Same thing, he still has shown limitations that can lead one to conclude he can't get to where he needs to be and move on.

The fact others may question his opinion doesn't seem to be a basis to get worked up over.

WAB edit: you know better
Biggs getting upset at people having a different opinion is elite lack of self awareness. He’s a sports writer for fucks sake, questioning Bears players and coaches is literaly his job.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:21 pm Kind of like when people post a video and they have it start at a certain point. Just one of the mysteries I haven't mastered yet.
I can help solve that particular mystery for you Arkansasbear. You simply pause the video at the relevant point and right-click on it. In the menu that pops up there's a "Copy video URL at current time" option.

However if the video is blocked, e.g. by the NFL because it contains game footage, and has to be viewed on YouTube then when you click on it in the forum it will open in YouTube and play from the beginning regardless.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

dplank wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:48 pm
Biggs getting upset at people having a different opinion is elite lack of self awareness. He’s a sports writer for fucks sake, questioning Bears players and coaches is literally his job.
It's my sense that a lot the old media is a bit fed up with the opinions of fan boy vloggers, twitter kings, podcasters and the like. The old beat reporters worked hard to cultivate their role and earn their stripes. They had to build trust and cultivate sources from within the franchises they covered. Their goal was to "own the story" and to break the news. Those days are over.

Today, the news is broken by the NFL itself. Moreover, nobody seems to "own the story" anymore. When I was a kid, the Sun Times would NEVER print a story saying, "The Tribune is reporting..." Today, the news outlets don't care and CBS Sports is happy to report that, "ESPN is reporting..." The outlets today act as a delivery channel. It's not about their content, it's about their distribution which is why you rarely seen good sports journalism anymore.

I think all of this makes a lot of the old school guys a bit jaded and bitter and impatient.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:20 am

Do you think there’s credibility behind the rumors Williams does not want to play for the Bears?
They flat out refuted it when Colin Cowherd tried to drum up some nonsense, dude had to get back on the air and walk-back his comments. Such an asshat.
Last edited by G08 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:47 pm Well, I don't chime in much regarding either QB. I am quite the pessimist when it comes to the Bears. With over 50 yrs of fandom, I have grown not to expect much.

That's why we need to enjoy this part of it. This right now is the Super Bowl. Once the decision is made, we can watch the QB we picked fail while the one we didnt flourishes.
G08
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:00 pm

That's why we need to enjoy this part of it. This right now is the Super Bowl. Once the decision is made, we can watch the QB we picked fail while the one we didnt flourishes.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

The Kaiser wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:29 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:48 pm
Biggs getting upset at people having a different opinion is elite lack of self awareness. He’s a sports writer for fucks sake, questioning Bears players and coaches is literally his job.
It's my sense that a lot the old media is a bit fed up with the opinions of fan boy vloggers, twitter kings, podcasters and the like. The old beat reporters worked hard to cultivate their role and earn their stripes. They had to build trust and cultivate sources from within the franchises they covered. Their goal was to "own the story" and to break the news. Those days are over.

Today, the news is broken by the NFL itself. Moreover, nobody seems to "own the story" anymore. When I was a kid, the Sun Times would NEVER print a story saying, "The Tribune is reporting..." Today, the news outlets don't care and CBS Sports is happy to report that, "ESPN is reporting..." The outlets today act as a delivery channel. It's not about their content, it's about their distribution which is why you rarely seen good sports journalism anymore.

I think all of this makes a lot of the old school guys a bit jaded and bitter and impatient.
Good points. I like Biggs. I agree when he said commit to Fields or a new QB, don’t play the middle. I don’t get it’s absolutely this POV for all reasons mentioned. Biggs says Bears love McCarthy but can’t (rightly so) say who…. Not saying they love him at 1.01 (disclaimer)
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:00 pm

Probably heading down the Mitch pipeline (maybe even complete with Steelers portion)