30 Visits

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:27 pm Jaden Crumedy clearly a made up name cmon
I assume the Jaden is said like Ja - DEN - very german
Bearfacts
MVP

wulfy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:45 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:11 am Flus had DeForest Buckner as his 3 tech at Indy. At 6'6"/312lbs Dexter is much closer to the size of Buckner 6'7"/295lbs than any of the top DT in this draft. And then we have Pickens as well. They say the biggest jump in performance tends to come in season two so it may be wise to see what we have with them before committing any more high picks to a DT.
Yes and No .... either way, you need rotational bodies at 3T with Justin Jones going to the Cardinals.

While I don't think 3T is the right move in round 1, later names we should consider are My Guy FSU's Braden Fiske, Clemson's Ruke Orhorhoro, Ohio State's Michael Hall Jr, and LSU's Tooka Smith (fits the 'flus length mold).
You're essentially agreeing with me here by listing guys who may be available in round three or four. I'm also not in favor of spending a 1st round pick on a DT when we spent two 2nd day picks on Dexter and Pickens last year. At this point I'm thinking that Pickens is who they see as replacing Justin Jones in rotation with Dexter at the 3 tech spot. But it wouldn't hurt to bring in another DT for competition. Pickens didn't exactly tear it up last year but they also had him playing more out of position at NT.
wab
Mod

Bearfacts wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:33 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:55 am I don't see Turner's size as a problem really. He measured in at 6'2 247. I see a lot of Leonard Floyd concerns out there, but Floyd was an inch taller and 10 pounds lighter - he had a VERY slight frame. Turner seems more solidly built and will put on weight in the pro's naturally from age + continued workouts. He's not a monster sized DE by any means, but I don't think size is going to be a huge issue for him. JMO.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dallas-tu ... 1d1c8f7101

Look at the highlights in here. Yes, you can't scout from highlights, but I wanted to point out something very different between him and Floyd. In the first handful of pass rushes you see here, what you see is Turner overpowering the LT for the sack. Not running around him, not blitzing off the edge, but straight up hand in the dirt, power rushing some very big guys from bigtime programs. Pushing them backwards. He's not Floyd.

Khalil Mack is 6'3 247 apparently. Power isn't just about weight.
I don't get it either. Guys who play RDE are typically smaller and quicker than LDE. Last year we had Ngakoue at 6'2"/246lbs and prior to that he played for Flus at Indy. In 2022 we had Al Muhammad at 6'3"/247. Prior to that it was Robt Quinn at 6'4"/245lbs. Seems to me a guy going 6'3" and 250-260lbs is the type they want for RDE. Some here suggested Hassan Reddick whose 6'2"/240lbs. Turner does fit their profile for a pass rushing RDE. The guy who doesn't fit quite as well is Verse.
Right. And they just signed Martin, who is 6'2 252. So they seem to have a "type" for that spot opposite the heavy end.
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 am
The Kaiser wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:36 am Added JC Latham to the list.

Man, I wonder why no Byron Murphy II....I'm really feeling like a trade back to around #12 and then a selection of the best 3T in the class would be the best call here.

I wonder if they're genuinely not interested or if possibly they are trying to conceal their interest in him.

We'll know in two more weeks I guess...
I want to like Murphy, but I think he's the next disappointing DT that goes in the 1st round and is supposed to be a playmaker and ends up as a low end starter

while the kid can make plays, nothing stands out as elite to me about him.
Murphy reminds me of Ed Oliver. Not that it's a bad thing, but just another in the long line of "the next Aaron Donald" types who weren't.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:42 am
Bearfacts wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:33 pm

I don't get it either. Guys who play RDE are typically smaller and quicker than LDE. Last year we had Ngakoue at 6'2"/246lbs and prior to that he played for Flus at Indy. In 2022 we had Al Muhammad at 6'3"/247. Prior to that it was Robt Quinn at 6'4"/245lbs. Seems to me a guy going 6'3" and 250-260lbs is the type they want for RDE. Some here suggested Hassan Reddick whose 6'2"/240lbs. Turner does fit their profile for a pass rushing RDE. The guy who doesn't fit quite as well is Verse.
Right. And they just signed Martin, who is 6'2 252. So they seem to have a "type" for that spot opposite the heavy end.
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 am

I want to like Murphy, but I think he's the next disappointing DT that goes in the 1st round and is supposed to be a playmaker and ends up as a low end starter

while the kid can make plays, nothing stands out as elite to me about him.
Murphy reminds me of Ed Oliver. Not that it's a bad thing, but just another in the long line of "the next Aaron Donald" types who weren't.
Murphy is a bit of a risk as far as expecting him to be that all powerful penetrating 3 tech but he has enough versatility to play both NT and 3 tech. I haven't seen much video of his but I have to wonder how much easier his job got playing next to T'Vondre Sweat.

As for the RDE role if they opt for a WR at #9 there are a number of smaller DE/Edge guys ranked in the 3rd and 4th rounds much like Martin. If Poles takes the WR then I'd look for him to draft one of those guys on Day two or Day Three.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I feel like finding an elite 3T is almost as hard as finding an elite QB. There's no Aaron Donald type prospect in this class (at least according to the experts), so chasing that seems foolish to me.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:54 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:36 pm
I agree about the DE spot. I’m all for bringing Ngakoue back. He clearly isn’t “the guy” who makes it happen but his numbers once Sweat arrived were decent. I’m not paying him $15M but surely that won’t be his market after last year.
Not to mention that next year is supposed to be a BANNER draft for Edge guys. Poles may decide to roll with what we have for now and pick a stud DE next year.
Possible.
I haven't heard that, but haven't been searching for 2025 info, either.
I am a believer in taking advantage of timing what's strong and what isn't as much as you can.
However, last year was considered a great year for DE, too, and the Bears didn't capitalize on it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:16 pm I feel like finding an elite 3T is almost as hard as finding an elite QB. There's no Aaron Donald type prospect in this class (at least according to the experts), so chasing that seems foolish to me.
Absolutely. What I don't want is them getting impatient, throwing a R2-4 at a 3T just because "this scheme needs one!" and then having 3 DTs they spent serious picks on and still don't have a stud 3T out of the bunch.

Don't spend a pick because you want something. Spend it when you're actually going to be able to get what you want.

wulfy
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:20 am
wulfy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:45 pm

Yes and No .... either way, you need rotational bodies at 3T with Justin Jones going to the Cardinals.

While I don't think 3T is the right move in round 1, later names we should consider are My Guy FSU's Braden Fiske, Clemson's Ruke Orhorhoro, Ohio State's Michael Hall Jr, and LSU's Tooka Smith (fits the 'flus length mold).
You're essentially agreeing with me here by listing guys who may be available in round three or four. I'm also not in favor of spending a 1st round pick on a DT when we spent two 2nd day picks on Dexter and Pickens last year. At this point I'm thinking that Pickens is who they see as replacing Justin Jones in rotation with Dexter at the 3 tech spot. But it wouldn't hurt to bring in another DT for competition. Pickens didn't exactly tear it up last year but they also had him playing more out of position at NT.
Oh, I'm definitely agreeing with you. My only point being .... we still need to draft a tackle, just not in the first. I just didn't want it lost that we still need tackles.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:37 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:16 pm I feel like finding an elite 3T is almost as hard as finding an elite QB. There's no Aaron Donald type prospect in this class (at least according to the experts), so chasing that seems foolish to me.
Absolutely. What I don't want is them getting impatient, throwing a R2-4 at a 3T just because "this scheme needs one!" and then having 3 DTs they spent serious picks on and still don't have a stud 3T out of the bunch.

Don't spend a pick because you want something. Spend it when you're actually going to be able to get what you want.
I can definitely double down on this after my last Picnic Basket. I was looking hard for a 3T in the Aaron Donald and Tommie Harris mold--smaller, but strong and very fast. It's why I pimped so hard for AA last year. I thought he was perfect. Exactly what we were looking for. Obviously not. That is no longer the "type" for a 3T in the new 4-3.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:50 pm
Moriarty wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:37 pm

I can definitely double down on this after my last Picnic Basket. I was looking hard for a 3T in the Aaron Donald and Tommie Harris mold--smaller, but strong and very fast. It's why I pimped so hard for AA last year. I thought he was perfect. Exactly what we were looking for. Obviously not. That is no longer the "type" for a 3T in the new 4-3.
Yea I feel like there's a lot of "legacy trope" stuff going on with the whole "it's the engine that makes the defense go!" bit. DL pressure is the engine that makes the defense go, as Montez Sweat showed us all last year. And pressure up the middle is always, in any defense, a little better than pressure off the edge - but it's also difficult to achieve. If we can land a premier pass rusher outside, I'm in for that vs reaching for an elusive high pressure rate DT.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:23 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:50 pm

Yea I feel like there's a lot of "legacy trope" stuff going on with the whole "it's the engine that makes the defense go!" bit. DL pressure is the engine that makes the defense go, as Montez Sweat showed us all last year. And pressure up the middle is always, in any defense, a little better than pressure off the edge - but it's also difficult to achieve. If we can land a premier pass rusher outside, I'm in for that vs reaching for an elusive high pressure rate DT.
I tend to agree. And I also think Dexter is pretty damn good and going to make all this talk of needing a 3T seem silly by the end of the season. Dude is a force and should be even better after a year of NFL work.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:57 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:23 pm

I tend to agree. And I also think Dexter is pretty damn good and going to make all this talk of needing a 3T seem silly by the end of the season. Dude is a force and should be even better after a year of NFL work.
To me Dexter is this year's Fields. He' has talent and he has shown enough that you try to see if he puts it all together. But if he doesn't next year it becomes a higher priority.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

On a side note:
Bears host area prospects at local pro day

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... tvVlJJ_t5A
Bearfacts
MVP

wulfy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:46 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:20 am

Oh, I'm definitely agreeing with you. My only point being .... we still need to draft a tackle, just not in the first. I just didn't want it lost that we still need tackles.
For certain we do. Just like we need another RDE prospect. The unanswered question is where does Poles plan to get them? I often believe it's easier to find a DT after round one simply by finding guys with the physical characteristics you want. They may not become All Pro but many times they can become good to very good core players you can win with. Guys like Billings.

Good three down pass rushing DE seem to be much harder to find later in the draft going just by their physical characteristics. If that were true Dom Robinson should be our starting RDE by now especially after that very first game against GB as a rookie. He flashed big time and then that was it. He's been shut down ever since and is pretty much on his last chance to stay on the roster.

With fewer picks this year Poles may have to look at some of the vet FA still out there along with players who may be released after the draft. They're guys on the downside of their careers but he can sign them to a one year deal and hopefully get some mileage out of them kinda like we did when we signed Jason Peters to play LT before Braxton Jones came along.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Jared Verse now confirmed for a visit. So basically, the Bears have had all 4 of the top DEs (Turner, Verse, Latu, Robinson,) all 3 of the top WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze,) 3 top Centers (JPJ, Barton, Frazier) and a few others in for the 30 visits.

Again, not a single DT prospect. Seems odd. Smokescreen?
G08
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:40 pm Jared Verse now confirmed for a visit. So basically, the Bears have had all 4 of the top DEs (Turner, Verse, Latu, Robinson,) all 3 of the top WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze,) 3 top Centers (JPJ, Barton, Frazier) and a few others in for the 30 visits.

It's possible, but I think this front office likes to bring guys they might draft into the building to get a better feel for who they are as people. Seems like the MO for Poles and Eberflus.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

There's no Aaron Donald type prospect in any draft that isn't Aaron Donald

It's a comp that shouldn't be made
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I guess it's weird to me that after a draft where we used two high picks on DT's (who were both sort of projects), going into a draft where we have 4 picks, people think we'd be targeting a DT?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:40 pm Jared Verse now confirmed for a visit. So basically, the Bears have had all 4 of the top DEs (Turner, Verse, Latu, Robinson,) all 3 of the top WRs (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze,) 3 top Centers (JPJ, Barton, Frazier) and a few others in for the 30 visits.

Not to me.
DT reallly isn't on my radar until Day 3, and only if we collect a lot of extra picks.

What seems really odd is 3 centers that would require a major trade for them to have a shot at, yet 0 centers who will be available at the draft picks (after 9) they currently have.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The breakdown of 30 Visits:

WR: 6
DE: 4
C: 4
CB: 4
OT: 3
QB: 1
RB: 1
LB: 1
S: 1

No DTs. Poles is big on drafting guys he brings in for a visit.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wulfy
MVP

TE Ben Sinnott of K-State visited HH today.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:47 pm I guess it's weird to me that after a draft where we used two high picks on DT's (who were both sort of projects), going into a draft where we have 4 picks, people think we'd be targeting a DT?
I still wouldn't rule out Sweat later on
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:36 pm I still wouldn't rule out Sweat later on
Getting arrested for driving while intoxicated might nix that (https://www.nfl.com/news/top-dt-prospec ... i-in-texas).

Poles seems to place a lot of stock in character.