snowbound on the east coast

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Washington DC area has been clobbered ... 2 feet of snow, with it still coming down ... now I know many of you are in areas that get this regularly, but you need to appreciate the fact this area is rarely prepared for such a dumping ... most seem to be handling it well

my area has gotten 26", with a forecast of 8 more to come before it all stops ... my neighborhood looks like Santa's village ... and since the snow has just gotten heavier, and the wind picked up, those who were out in it have all gone back inside

it is a pretty awesome winter storm ... I haven't even bothered to shovel out the front walk or our cars, primarily because we aren't going anywhere any time soon ... I did shovel out the back to make a path to clear snow off the heat pump and to make a path to my grill ... bbq ribs in the snow ... because that's how I roll
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Wow! Be careful out there, hopefully not too many casualties on the roads.
Xee
Site Admin

Pictures?
gaba
Head Coach

Good to know I'm not the only dickhead that's smiling while everyone else cries about the shitty weather.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Cutler06
Player of the Month

HA..... We didnt get as much as you Boris, but close..... Lets just say my back is sore! haha

Well, the worst looks like its comming tonight here. Suppose to rain first, so probley gona be alot of powerlines down and very icy.... We will see....
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, Washington DC now has a new official winter snowfall record

Washington region blasted by winds, record-breaking snow

but wait! there's more!

possible more snow for Monday

my unofficial measurements in my backyard had a 28 inch total for the recent Friday/Saturday storm, and an additional 8 on the Tuesday/Wednesday storm ... and 16 in the December storm, giving me 52 inches of accumulated snow so far ... fortunately the stuff from December was pretty much all gone before the new stuff

the wife took pictures, but can't find her data cable, which she thinks she left in her office, which she hasn't been to all week

I've been at home too, working via teleconferences, but for the most part, napping and watching movies between shoveling shifts

what makes this bad is the snow removal for sidestreets and neighborhoods just isn't happening, and I don't have the ground clearance on my Honda to make it out to the main roads ... and of course our public transit system has come to the rescue by pretty much shutting down all train and bus service ... so, good thing we are happily homebound rather than going nuts with cabin fever

hope everyone else affected by this mess is also safe and warm at home, your home or with others
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a friend of ours and his wife had a nice weekend fun adventure scheduled long before we had our snow storms ... scheduled for a nice area to the mountains to the west ... snow tubing and snow boarding ... complete with an overnight stay

they found out yesterday afternoon it is all canceled because the roads going to the area are still closed and not expected to be cleared until Sunday ... deposit refunds will be mailed

appreciate the irony : a snow tubing event canceled due to snow
George Carlin
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

The Diary of a Snow Shoveler

December 8
6:00 PM. It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
Snow lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life!

The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.

December 15
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer.

The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like heck. The wife laughed for one hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere.

Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Darn snowplow came by twice.

Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to poop. By the time I got undressed, pooped and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the jerk is lying.

December 23
Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24
6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the man who drives that snowplow I'll drag him through the snow by his nose and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been!

Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25
Merry -bleeping- Christmas! 20 more inches of the slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a fricking idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in. Why the heck did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. THE WITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver he is now suing me for a million dollars not only the beating I gave him but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up where the sun don't shine. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
MamaBear
Player of the Month

gaba wrote:Good to know I'm not the only dickhead that's smiling while everyone else cries about the shitty weather.
Oh, I was smiling! Times like these I'm reminded why I choose to work in a school system! Friday before last we went home 2 hours early. Didn't come back til the following Friday and that with a 2 hour delay. My kinda work week! And then we got more snow and we didn't work Monday (even though they were gonna make us as a make-up day since we went over our limit) tiil today, again, starting the day with a leisurely 2 hour delay. Love it! I don't even mind going a few days late in the summer! I HATE leaving the house when it's cold outside! All in all, I'd say we got 2 feet or so. My school is in a rural area so we deal with blowing and plows not getting out to the back roads. Hoping the wind kicks up and we get another delay tomorrow! :D
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

We've gotten 48.3 inches so far this winter season. 7th most of any winter on record for this area. '08-'09 winter season 47.9 inches. 8th most on record. 53.9 inches in '07-'08. 4th most.

150.1 inches in the last 3 winters.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
IE
Hall of Famer

Ann Arbor, MI ususally has well over 50 inches of snow in average year. A couple of recent years, we've had 70-80 inches. This year we've probably only gotten 27-30 so far, late into February. Most of the big storms have missed us. Random, I guess.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Hmph. I actually had to be at work on TIME today! What the hell is up with that! But, they are calling for another winter storm system to come through Sunday night into Monday morning. Awww yeah!