Mock Draft V1 - Why Not

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

So G08 asked for this, and although it's a few games sooner than I'd planned, I thought I would throw together a 1st round mock. It's loosely based on current draft position, and how I imagine the postseason shaking out.

Round 1
1. Jacksonville (0-6) – Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
Mariota has a unique blend of skills that would make him really hard to ignore. Even if it means passing on Teddy Bridgewater.

2. New York Giants (0-6) – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Picking Matthews would improve three positions on the line, by actually allowing players to settle into a natural position.

3. Tampa Bay (0-5) – Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
What a mess this team is. And yes, I know they drafted Mike Glennon in the 3rd.

4. Minnesota (1-4) – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
It won't be too long before Jared Allen is spittin' chaw and whittlin' out in the backwoods.

5. St. Louis - from Washington (1-4) – Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
The Rams really are a team on the edge of really-goodness, but the pass rush has to improve. Especially from the LB position.

6. Pittsburgh (1-4) – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
After trading for Levi Brown, and then placing him on IR three days later, you can see the Steelers are desperate for help at tackle.

7. Atlanta (1-4) – CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama
They could have the worst LB corps in the NFL right now.

8. Buffalo (2-4) – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
The more years I predict them getting a player to help Stevie Johnson, the better chance I have of it actually happening.

9. Oakland (2-4) – Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
Oakland's offense is really showing signs of improvement, but the defense has been terrible. Especially up front.

10. Houston (2-4) – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Matt Schaub has been nothing short of terrible, but the usually rock solid line has failed on the right side, which hasn't helped.

11. Carolina (2-3) – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
I say it every year, but Steve Smith really can't play forever and Evans is good catching balls from a QB who plays outside the pocket.

12. Cleveland (3-3) – Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
He can run and he can throw as well as anyone in the NFL, but he's barely 6ft tall, so he slides here.

13. St. Louis (3-3) – Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
More help on defense. Putting Hageman and Brockers next to each other is almost criminal.

14. Tennessee (3-3) - Hasean Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
The Titans are surprisingly competitive, but that should level off as the season wears down. They need help in the defensive secondary.

15. Philadelphia (3-3) – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
He's a douche, but there probably isn't a better fit for Chip Kelly. Who also happens to be a douche.

16. New York Jets (3-3) - Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
Another year, another pass rusher. I'm starting to think it's more the coaching and less the talent.

17. Arizona (3-3) – Vic Beasley, LB, Clemson
The Cards have been decimated at rush backer...a position they weren't overly talented at to begin with.

18. San Diego (3-3) - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
The Chargers can fill the gaping hole at LT in free agency, but in the draft they reeeeeealy need a high end corner.

19. Miami (3-2) - Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
My surprise pick to make the wild card, the Dolphins could really use an outlet like this guy. He's Gronk-like.

20. Green Bay (3-2) – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
It's tough to say where they could go, but the defense is soft and Verrett brings a toughness to the secondary.

21. Dallas* (3-3) – Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
An athletic freak that could man the 3-technique position that is essential for this defense.

22. Baltimore* (3-3) - Marqise Lee, WR, USC
They are really feeling the loss of Anquan Boldin.

23. Chicago* (4-2) – Ed Stinson, DT, Alabama
Who? What? Couldn't they have gotten him a round or two later? *angrily crumples handwritten big-board* Guess what, Phil Emerey doesn't care. Stinson fits the mold of high motor players with scheme diversity that Emerey covets. At 6'4 295 he can play DT and DE. He's an intense no-name guy that makes plays.

24. Cincinnati* (4-2) – Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
Tuitt is a beast for the Irish and has 15 career sacks and counting. He's a hybrid player that can play outside or inside, and has stood up at LB on occasion. At 6'5 308lbs.

25. Detroit* (4-2) - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
They continue to have some of the worst starting corners in the NFL year in and year out.

26. Cleveland f/Indianapolis* (4-2) – Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
This is a tough position to predict for the Browns but Van Noy can play inside for them.

27. San Francisco* (4-2) – Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
Alex Boone is the weak link on a very good line and could leave for a big payday. Richardson is solid depth at guard and tackle at the very least.

28. New England* (5-1) – Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
I don't even know who Brady is throwing to from week to week. Matthews isn't a flashy player, and that fits perfectly in NE.

29. New Orleans* (5-1) – Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
Richardson is an upgrade over anyone they trot out there at RT. And probably even LT.

30. Kansas City* (6-0) – Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
Jeff Allen hasn't panned out due to injuries so they've had a revolving door at RG.

31. Seattle* (5-1) – Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
He's a good fit for a team that can never seem to have enough pass rush. That's all I got.

32. Denver* (6-0) – Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
They need a LB. And some secondary help. And a guy that can Windex the Lombardi trophy.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: 4. Minnesota (1-4) – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
It won't be too long before Jared Allen is spittin' chaw and fuckin' greased-up wild hogs out in the incest forests of the shadowy hellish 'murika he spawned from.
Fixed. As far as your pick I know nothing about the kid, but is 6'4" not an undesirable trait in a tackle?

I thought the idea was to be shorter than the lineman so you don't get stood up.
G08
Hall of Famer

Crap, sorry I missed this!

I'll have to look into this 'Bama kid... don't know much about him but I do agree that DT is a huge, huge need.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

He's a poor man's Gerald McCoy.
IE
Hall of Famer

Hey guys - what do you all think of that CB from Michigan State? Darquez Dennard... looking good. Physical guy... not big - probably 5'10" 200. Know his round projection?

Don't know if he's looking good just because their overall D is so stellar - but he stood out the few games I've seen them play.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

I think he's slated as a 2-3 round player right now based on what I've seen.
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Based on what I've seen, I would say the Bucs should go into next season with Mike Glennon as the starting, use what will be a top 5, if not the top pick, on a position other than QB to put some weapons around Glennon.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He's a poor man's Gerald McCoy.
Whos the rich mans Gerald McCoy in this draft? We should go after that guy. A lot of positions of need this year. We will see what Phill puts together.
G08
Hall of Famer

I've been seeing this guy's name quite a bit:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

We have to lose a few games to be able to draft him...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I'll take him. He could be really good. Also has the ability to play the 5-tech. Plays 3 tech now. I was thinking of making a BearsFansOnline draft prospect Athletic Index this year. Can't really start until we start getting numbers. Hageman I assume will be at the tops in his position.