Calvin Pryor vs Ha-Ha at 14, who ya got?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Iffybiz
Player of the Month

Hub said it would drive everyone crazy but he wouldn't mind them taking them taking the TE Eric Ebron with the 14th.
I could get behind if they were to sign another safety (Chris Clemons?) sorry just read Clemons is signed and really cheap, crap
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:Jimmy Ward at 14. I'm calling it.
I ain't even mad. Probably the best coverage safety in this class (outside of the diminutive Joyner).
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
BlackEngineer
MVP

If Donald is there, the Bears are taking him. Especially in the NFC North with Rodgers and Stafford and the NFC in general(We're playing Brady, Brees, Ryan, Romo, Newton, Kaepernick also next year). Donald's ability to rush the passer is too good to pass up. Now on the off chance that he gets drafted before us(Cowboys have too many holes to trade up, but a team might surprise), I think the Bears should draft Calvin Pryor. He would give the Defense an even tougher identity. Reminds me a little of Mike Brown.

I was thinking about Clinton-Dix, but his bench press(only 11 times) and Ok drill times made me consider Pryor over him.

Like I said before though, if the Bears don't draft a Safety in round 1, they're not going to get a starter in round 2. Jimmie Ward might go in the late 1st round, but even in the 2nd round he won't get past the Rams, Lions, Steelers, or Cowboys.
base615
Assistant Coach

There ain't too much between Ward and Bucannon, One of them will still be available at 51
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

base615 wrote:There ain't too much between Ward and Bucannon, One of them will still be available at 51

I'll politely disagree. Ward is much better in coverage while Bucannon is more of your typical SS thumper.

wab
Mod

base615 wrote:There ain't too much between Ward and Bucannon, One of them will still be available at 51
And Kyle long would have been available at 50 last year...
BearDownSouthMS
Practice Squad

wab wrote:
And Kyle long would have been available at 50 last year...
Most likely, and we over drafted Shea McClellin, also had a late 2nd Round Grade on him as well.

He is out to get his player regardless of where people think they should be drafted.
wab
Mod

BearDownSouthMS wrote:
wab wrote: And Kyle long would have been available at 50 last year...
Most likely, and we over drafted Shea McClellin, also had a late 2nd Round Grade on him as well.

He is out to get his player regardless of where people think they should be drafted.
That was my point.
BlackEngineer
MVP

wab wrote:
BearDownSouthMS wrote: Most likely, and we over drafted Shea McClellin, also had a late 2nd Round Grade on him as well.

That was my point.
Both McClellin and Long were 1st round prospects. If we remember, the 2013 draft had teams moving on Lineman like crazy. Kyle Long was the best available in terms of size, athleticism, and potential. If the Bears passed on him, another team would have definitely grabbed him before the end of the 1st round.

Shea McClellin was a 1st round prospect also, however he was a 1st round prospect a 3-4 OLB. I'm almost 100% sure the Packers would have grabbed him if the Bears didn't choose him.
wab
Mod

My point is that Kyle Long would NOT have been available in the second round. Phil takes the guy he wants. He doesn't risk trading down and losing out on his guy. He sticks to his guns and takes him.

Thats why it wouldn't surprise me if he takes someone who the media considers a fringe 1st rounder (Ward for example) at 14.
BlackEngineer
MVP

wab wrote:My point is that Kyle Long would NOT have been available in the second round. Phil takes the guy he wants. He doesn't risk trading down and losing out on his guy. He sticks to his guns and takes him.

Thats why it wouldn't surprise me if he takes someone who the media considers a fringe 1st rounder (Ward for example) at 14.
Are you saying the Bears would choose Ward over Clinton-dix and Pryor?

All the Safeties will be over-drafted because this is a weak safety class. However, picking Ward at 14 will be waaay to high for him. He's definitely not worth the 14th pick. Picking at 14 is much different then picking at 19 and 20.

I could see Calvin Pryor or Clinton-dix at 14. I doubt Emery would reach that much for Ward. I don't think Ward would be a day 1 starter. Doesn't have a NFL type body, only benched 225 9 times, which is pathetic for a NFL Safety; you usually want that number at 17+. He also played against pretty weak competition.

He's definitely not a better prospect than Matt Elam from last year's draft who went 32nd to the Ravens. The 14th pick has to be a Starter or a major contributor for the 2014 season.
FaithInCutler
MVP

BlackEngineer wrote:
wab wrote:My point is that Kyle Long would NOT have been available in the second round. Phil takes the guy he wants. He doesn't risk trading down and losing out on his guy. He sticks to his guns and takes him.

Are you saying the Bears would choose Ward over Clinton-dix and Pryor?

All the Safeties will be over-drafted because this is a weak safety class. However, picking Ward at 14 will be waaay to high for him. He's definitely not worth the 14th pick. Picking at 14 is much different then picking at 19 and 20.

I could see Calvin Pryor or Clinton-dix at 14. I doubt Emery would reach that much for Ward. I don't think Ward would be a day 1 starter. Doesn't have a NFL type body, only benched 225 9 times, which is pathetic for a NFL Safety; you usually want that number at 17+. He also played against pretty weak competition.

He's definitely not a better prospect than Matt Elam from last year's draft who went 32nd to the Ravens. The 14th pick has to be a Starter or a major contributor for the 2014 season.
Agree with this 100%.

I had not noticed the bench press tid-bit until now,.. and I normally write that off anyway. But, his size in combination with being "weak" is a big red flag for me.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Dix did all of 11 reps. Ward is a better coverage safety than either Dix or Pryor.

G08
Hall of Famer

If we want Ward it had better damned well be in a trade down. I don't see this kid going top 20, maybe even not top 30.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

I think it's hilarious that some of you (not you G) are taking what I'm saying is "this is TOTALLY what's going to happen, om nom nom *cigar puff* *sausage chew*

All I'm saying is that I won't be surprised no matter what happens. Did any of us see Shea or Long going in the top 20?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wab wrote:I think it's hilarious that some of you (not you G) are taking what I'm saying is "this is TOTALLY what's going to happen, om nom nom *cigar puff* *sausage chew*

All I'm saying is that I won't be surprised no matter what happens. Did any of us see Shea or Long going in the top 20?

Shea in the top 20? Sure. To the Bears? No way in hell.

Teams boards are never what we think they should be - it's part of what I love about the NFL draft.

Going to be in Europe beginning of May and will miss my first draft since I started watching back in the early 90's. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do...

G08
Hall of Famer

My jerkoff college roommate decided to get married the Saturday of the draft.

Asshole :lol:
BlackEngineer
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Dix did all of 11 reps. Ward is a better coverage safety than either Dix or Pryor.
That's why I'm not that high on Clinton-dix either. It can be debated whether Ward is better in coverage over Clinton-Dix His size makes him ideal at covering the big Tight Ends in the NFL. Plus, he was intelligent enough to call the plays in Saban's complex Defense so he may be ideal if Tucker wants to install a more multiple look Defense.

I lean towards Pryor because of his ability in Run Support, he has NFL Safety strength(Benched 18 times), and I think the Bears have a more glaring need at Strong Safety. I think Pryor would be perfect in that role.
That would allow Mundy and Conte to compete for the Free Safety spot.
Last edited by BlackEngineer on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackEngineer
MVP

wab wrote:I think it's hilarious that some of you (not you G) are taking what I'm saying is "this is TOTALLY what's going to happen, om nom nom *cigar puff* *sausage chew*

I'm just saying that the Bears would be passing on a shit ton of very good players to reach for Ward at 14. Just doesn't sound like a logically sound choice.
Paulo83
Journeyman

Neither. Take Donald at 14. His pass-rushing ability and potential to be an elite defensive lineman is too great to pass up. Like I stated in another thread, the lack of depth at tackle last season killed us.

Clinton-Dix and Pryor feel like slight reaches at 14. I would rather Emery waits until the 2nd round and takes Ward or Bucannon.

Who knows what Emery will take though? The last two first round picks have been a complete surprise.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Clinton-Dix or Pryor start on day one if they are drafted at 14. In the second round we can take a corner like Baptiste that will be a starter after this season.

You can still take a good DT in round 3. One or more of Jones, Ferguson, Sutton, Quarles and others would be available then.

Mundy / Conte is a worse setup than Allen / Ratliff / Young / Houston. The secondary needs an upgrade.
G08
Hall of Famer

Something to consider regarding DT... it was determined that Ratliff will line up next to Allen, and Allen will be our RDE.

Lamarr Houston played about about 270 to 280 last year, my guess is he will probably be around the same this year. Does that mean we would want a 288 lbs DT like Aaron Donald to play next to him (and, from time to time, Willie Young)? Or do we want someone with more beef?

Allen put it best, when you have a guy that can crush the pocket 3-4 yards deep, the QB only has one way to go: into the DT or out into the DE.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Never know with Emery. He has personally seem Ward pau. You never know.

I highly doubt he will draft ward at 14. Would it surprise me? Absolutely not. In fact it fits his 1 St round pick trends.

Shea was a late first early second on draft boards for 3-4 teams. At best he was a 2nd rounder for 4-3 teams. So let's average it or to a 32nd ranking. He is athletic with a high motor.

Long was thought of as a 2nd rounder. Most sites had him in the 40-50 range based solely on potential. I had him lower. (Proves I am a terrible arm chair scout) long is athletic work a high motor.

Ward is a second rounder. With a 40-50 grade. Kid had skills. Athletic, good motor.

Don't think anyone could suggest ward is an impossible choice for Phil.
BlackEngineer
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:
Never know with Emery. He has personally seem Ward pau. You never know.

I highly doubt he will draft ward at 14. Would it surprise me? Absolutely not. In fact it fits his 1 St round pick trends.

Shea was a late first early second on draft boards for 3-4 teams. At best he was a 2nd rounder for 4-3 teams. So let's average it or to a 32nd ranking. He is athletic with a high motor.

Long was thought of as a 2nd rounder. Most sites had him in the 40-50 range based solely on potential. I had him lower. (Proves I am a terrible arm chair scout) long is athletic work a high motor.

Ward is a second rounder. With a 40-50 grade. Kid had skills. Athletic, good motor.

Don't think anyone could suggest ward is an impossible choice for Phil.

You should be very surprised if Ward is drafted at 14! I wouldn't even want that on the guy. He would be expected to start at Safety right away and I don't think he would be ready for that. Emery is in a position where he can draft the best Defensive Player available and I'm sure there are at least 8 players on Phil Emery's Big Board that he would draft over Ward.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be surprised by much that emery does in the draft. So far we have been more then surprised at every pick he has made in the first.
BlackEngineer
MVP

The past two drafts were much different. The Bears Offense was so bad that it took two drafts to fix it. Plus, Emery had to devote some picks to an aging Defense. The surprise with Emery's picks came from the fact that the Bears had a lot of holes to fill and nobody knew which direction Emery would go. This year is different. The Offense has very little holes in it and everyone knows(Emery has made it known also)that the first two picks will be 100% Defense. That narrows the focus considerably.

At 14, Emery will have a great opportunity to draft a day 1 difference maker.

I don't think we will be surprised with the 1st pick. One of the players we have heard so often will be a Bear come May. Whether it's Donald, Jernigan, Nix, Dennard, Gilbert, Mosley, Pryor, Clinton-dix, etc. One of those players will be a Bear.

There usually aren't many surprises with top 15 picks.
Stay_Cool
MVP

mmmc_35 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised by much that emery does in the draft. So far we have been more then surprised at every pick he has made in the first.
Personally knowing Jimmie, he's a cocky kid who knows that 9 times out of ten his physical skills will bail him out of tough situations. He gambles a lot on plays, which is fine in college but will get you torched in the pros. That being said, I'm all for him being a Bear. And I'll get tickets to a game once in a while =)
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
BlackEngineer
MVP

Stay_Cool wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised by much that emery does in the draft. So far we have been more then surprised at every pick he has made in the first.
Personally knowing Jimmie, he's a cocky kid who knows that 9 times out of ten his physical skills will bail him out of tough situations. He gambles a lot on plays, which is fine in college but will get you torched in the pros. That being said, I'm all for him being a Bear. And I'll get tickets to a game once in a while =)
I don't mind him at all. Just not with the 14th pick. That's just too valuable of a pick.
Stay_Cool
MVP

BlackEngineer wrote:
Stay_Cool wrote: Personally knowing Jimmie, he's a cocky kid who knows that 9 times out of ten his physical skills will bail him out of tough situations. He gambles a lot on plays, which is fine in college but will get you torched in the pros. That being said, I'm all for him being a Bear. And I'll get tickets to a game once in a while =)
I don't mind him at all. Just not with the 14th pick. That's just too valuable of a pick.
2nd or 3rd for me, but I'll tell him 1st to his face lol
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
docc
Head Coach

G08 wrote:My jerkoff college roommate decided to get married the Saturday of the draft.

Asshole :lol:
Back in the old tech days of 1988..when wife was having us do Lamaze classes..I had to sit of floor behind her as she did breathing exercises..Sunday game (9/25 beat Packer 24-6). So..I had this little Sony TV..smuggled it in. Had it behind her..!

All good until I yelled Fuckin A on a Bears TD..

Hate stares from 10 women..smiles from 8 guys and a high 5 from the dude next to me..another Bears fan here in Tucson..

So..Bluetooth..Tablet or phone..you all good..

And gives them something to laugh about (ahem) later..maybe